8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 8 years ago

Me again, LOL

Ok, not sure what I did while I was changing the flippers out or when I was cleaning the Marilyn drop targets or when I reflowed the solder to the relay in the backbox but now it's acting a little weird and HOPING someone knows what this is and that it's an easy fix as I have no clue where to even look.

When I activate multi ball and then lock one ball in the Express Lane 1 (on the right) and the countdown begins, then drain the other ball, the machine releases the locked ball as normal but it continues to flash all the flashers like it does when the countdown happens when you are needing to lock the 2nd ball in the Express Lane 2 for the 300,000 score. Then what's even weirder is if you lose the last ball (BUT only if you previously locked a ball in Express Lane 1), the end of ball sequence doesn't occur, it just sits there flashing all the flashers, playing the music and the regular callouts. The only way I can get it to end the ball is if I shake the machine and get a danger, then it ends like normal.

The drained balls do get kicked towards the shooter so it does detect the balls there?

So what in the world did I do as it didn't act like this before I did the changes listed above.

Thanks again for any help.

#2 8 years ago

since you have to shake the machine to get the ball to end I would test the trough switches in test mode. Use teh ball not your finger to make sure they are ruled out.

#3 8 years ago

Ok some more info:

It doesn't do the above if the 1st ball drains (only after the ball is locked in Express Lane 1) BEFORE the flasher countdown sequence, so near the end of the timer.

Also if any other targets are hit (main ones or ramps as slingshots don't stop it) the game will stop the flasher sequence and work like normal when the remaining ball drains. Previously I mentioned I had to trigger a danger tilt but other things work too but not the ball drain?

Again, no clue what would control this, resistors, switches, etc. but I checked the backbox and no broken resistor, transistor wires, no burnt or loose connectors. I checked all around under the playfield where I did the work and don't see anything disconnected or loose.

I am hoping this isn't a chip or rom issue as I don't think this was happening before I did those updates but perhaps it did and I just never did this exact sequence before?

Thanks again.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

since you have to shake the machine to get the ball to end I would test the trough switches in test mode. Use teh ball not your finger to make sure they are ruled out.

Tried that, all the switches work with the balls as when the ball drains, the outhole kicker shoots the ball towards the shooter and all those other switches in the trough (2 of them) work fine and register.

Oh and the shaking is to get it to tilt danger and once that triggers it goes to end of ball.

I did adjust the tilt bob mechanism, could that be the cause?

This is so frustrating.

#5 8 years ago

I would go back with a fine tooth comb over all your previous repairs, if it worked before then then chances are you did something during them.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I would go back with a fine tooth comb over all your previous repairs, if it worked before then then chances are you did something during them.

See that's the thing, I can't say for sure that I did this EXACT situation or combination before these repairs since it seems it has to happen exactly the way I mention it and perhaps I just got lucky and did this. I checked all those things I listed above (flippers, drop target and relay) and everything seems to be secure and nothing else around them seem to be loose.

It just seems this would have something to do with the programming or game since all the ball drain switches work unless it could be somehow tied to that backbox relay but all I did was reflow solder to fix the flickering and dim backbox GI lighting.

Thanks again for any help and suggestions.

#7 8 years ago

Well, if you saw my other thread about the backbox lights going out and dimming, that issue apparently isn't fixed as it happened again tonight. I reflowed all the joints on that backbox relay board and thought that would fix this but it didn't. I'm no expert at soldering but reflowing the solder wasn't that difficult.

So, perhaps the actual relay on the board is bad so I'll just order an entire new board with relay already installed to see if that fixes it once an for all.

I am hoping that this issue with the multiball is somehow linked to the relay although I have no idea how it could be as I don't even think the flashers have anything to do with the relay, I'll unplug it and then see if the issue still happens, if it does then I definitely know the relay isn't the problem.

Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future but if anyone has ever had this type of issue or know if anything else could cause this, please feel free to share. I'm also thinking about just ordering a new rom set (just the cpu board since the sound wouldn't have anything to do with the flasher multiball behavior I think LOL) since they don't cost too much and just see if maybe this issue is cpu related?

Thanks again for any help and suggestions.

#8 8 years ago

Well I went over those main areas where I did the work and didn't see any wires or diodes that were broken off, flattened or disconnected. I did find one disconnected diode but it was connected to the sound knob or potentiometer so I soldered it back but that didn't fix it. I then went through every wire connected to a switch, light socket, coil, etc. on the underside of the playfield and also didn't see any wire or diode disconnected or next to anything else metal to cause a short.

I then disconnected the backbox relay to see if that would affect the issue and it didn't so it's not the backbox relay.

Another weird behavior is when I got the issue to happen again, after both balls drained and the ball didn't end, I ejected a ball manually and activated the Dracula pickup, it registered but as the ball was going around the ramp, the end of ball sequence occurred???

So I'm stumped and my only other option is to try a new rom CPU chip as I just don't know what else could cause the game functions to not work right after a ball drain other than the CPU programming and I don't think the music or speech roms would affect this but I have no clue. Could this just be a special glitch or quirk of the game since it seems it takes a lot to get this to happen and waiting for the right timing?

Anyway, I guess I'll also order a CPU chip from John's thatpinballplace site and see if that fixes it.

If anyone has any other suggestions or knows what might cause this type of glitch/behavior, just let me know and thanks for the help. I'll keep posting updates but it'll take some time to get the chips.

#9 8 years ago

Just saw this thread, We have had this issue with our TAXI for awhile. It usually only happens in league or when we have a party. We've tried to duplicate it and not been able to. We thought it had something to with Express Lane while in MB. Using what you said it will only do it if you loose the 2nd ball AFTER the flashers start going off when the count down starts when the 1st ball is still in Express lane 1. We got other ROMS awhile ago but never installed them, cause after we got them we figured if it is a bug in the ROM it will be in new ROMS as well. Now that we can consistently re-create it we have a friend with a Marilyn TAXI as well and he is going to try it on his this evening and see. (He is here now and won't be home till this evening) He will post on this thread and let us know if it happens on his. Glad you told us about the tilt thing, we always turned it off to make it stop. Now we know that it will stop if you get a WARNING, you don't have to TILT away your ball to make it stop.

Phoebe

#10 8 years ago

THANK YOU for your post and perhaps it is a bug in all the Marilyn roms.

I'm glad this thread helped and I agree that it is difficult to replicate this glitch/issue and guess I just got lucky LOL.

The warning tilt trick works if all the balls drained but if you haven't lost the last ball yet, you can also pickup a passenger and that'll stop the flasher sequence and not cause this glitch.

Just so glad it's not just my machine and I'll wait to hear back before ordering a new CPU rom.

Is your Taxi a Marilyn? Also please post the results if you try installing the other rom chips.

Thanks

#11 8 years ago

Glad someone else has had the issue. Mine has been doing this randomly for several years. Yes it is a Marilyn, so is our friends.
He will post later this evening after he gets home and tries it to let us know.

Phoebe

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Glad someone else has had the issue. Mine has been doing this randomly for several years. Yes it is a Marilyn, so is our friends.
He will post later this evening after he gets home and tries it to let us know.
Phoebe

Just glad I'm not the only one and that I didn't accidentally do something when I did that recent work. Don't get me wrong, not glad it happens but now thinking it might just be what you said, a bug or glitch.

I guess once your friend tests it, that will confirm and then the final confirmation would be if you try your other chip and then that would definitely confirm it's just something that probably happens with everyone's machine or at least the Marilyn.

If anyone else wants to try this, please post the results here as it would be interesting to see if others behave the same way.

Thanks again and looking forward to the results.

#13 8 years ago

I have reproduced the actions that lock up Phoebe's Taxi on my machine, and it did NOT lock up. As soon as the ball hit the trough switch, it immediately stopped the flashers, ejected the locked ball and went back to normal play.

Phoebe, your machine also did something else interesting: If you lock the ball in the lane, wait for the flashers to start, and put the ball in the Santa saucer, it won't eject the ball until the express lane count down ends. Mine will immediately eject the ball as soon as it is in the Santa saucer during this mode.

I have a Marilynn with REV 3 roms.

#14 8 years ago

Ok Mine has Rev. 2 ROMS...new ROMs are Rev. 3 so off now to swap ROMS...BRB

Phoebe

#15 8 years ago

Ok Must be a Rev. 2 ROM bug, cause we can not re-create with Rev. 3 ROMS...So ED-209 if you have Rev. 2 ROMS get Rev. 3 and see if that fixes it for you.
And Case, with Rev. 3 it kicks it out of Santa immediately as well.

Phoebe

#16 8 years ago

THANK YOU both for your help with this and I just checked and mine is also Rev. 2 so I'm checking with John ( thatpinballplace.com ) to see if the ones he sells are Rev. 3 (hoping they are).

I didn't know or test the Santa glitch but good to know it's all related.

One more question while I have you both, what Rev. are your Music and Speech sound roms? Mine is Rev. 1? I figured I'd go ahead and check to see if there were any higher Revisions before placing the order for the new CPU rom.

Thanks again to you both and hopefully this will help out future people if they also encounter this glitch.

#17 8 years ago

The 2 sound on CPU are Rev. 1, and the 2 on the sound board are proto 4. Glad you figured out how to re-create it! We've had it for quite awhile, and have had it happen during league and at parties, where we don't know exactly what caused it.

Phoebe

3 months later
#18 8 years ago

I have this exact same issue and posted in the "Taxi club" thread to ask about it. I'm fairly certain my ROM is L2, will check again when I get home. I never noticed it before I fixed the whole pin up, probably because I couldn't play a game long enough or effectively enough to trigger the issue.

Update: confirmed. I have ROM LA-2. Since a few of us see the same issue, this must be a bug with this ROM.

Has anyone experienced any different bugs in L3 (Marilyn)? Ie anything serious enough that upgrading ROMS would be a trade-off rather than an improvement?

#19 8 years ago

Well I've been using the Rev. 3 for a few months now (maybe 6 games a week) and haven't noticed any bugs and can also confirm my original issue no longer exists using this newest rom.

Hope that helps.

7 years later
#20 3 months ago

I really appreciate this thread! I’m having this issue with the multiball with my Marylin Taxi. So I guess I need to check my ROM version and Upgrade to V3 Roms if I still have V2 Roms.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-multiball-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.