Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170404_154844492_TOP (resized).jpg
IMG_20170404_154255707 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170404_160257318 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170404_160219225 (resized).jpg
IMG_3736 (resized).JPG
SoundCircuit (resized).jpg
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

This board was worked on well before I got it. But thanks for the One To Grow On!

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

I'm a little flaky on the transistor circuit around Q1 but I think it's supposed to change the D/A output to swing positive.

The Base of Q1 is connected to ground, the Emitter is connected to Pin 4 of the DAC, and the collector looks like it's connected to the +5v thgrough a 3.9k resistor. In all the diagrams I've seen of transistors, the Base is usually connected to some small amount of voltage so that the current can flow between the collector and the emitter. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong diagrams, but I don't quite understand how connecting the base to ground enables current flow.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're right, I don't know what I can derive from any of the readings I get from Q1, since I clearly don't understand how it's being used in the circuit. It definitely seems to be the thing that ultimately puts signal through C8 and into the op-amp at U17, though.

#53 7 years ago

Just picking up the thread here, did you try switching on/off/on the game to see if it works? Mine had audio issue related to a reset circuit. I can find the thread if you want.

Actually here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-club?tu=plumonium#post-3601036

and here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/solenoid-fuses-keep-blowing-on-road-kings

P.S: I'm just sharing my experience, I know nothing.

#54 7 years ago

I have switched this game on and off and on again more times than I can count. That's not the problem. Thanks, though!

#55 7 years ago

Measure at C8. Be sure to take a ground from the board edge screws, and not from C8 itself, because it is in series. First pic is with Music OFF (idle) second pic is with music on (Main Theme 01) The chaotic analog waveform should vibrate in time with the music

IMG_20170404_160219225 (resized).jpgIMG_20170404_160219225 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170404_160257318 (resized).jpgIMG_20170404_160257318 (resized).jpg

#56 7 years ago

Also, you should have the following at U10 pin 1 and 7 (first pic)
at U1 pin 2 <clock> and pin 4<data> (second pic)
during active music

IMG_20170404_154255707 (resized).jpgIMG_20170404_154255707 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170404_154844492_TOP (resized).jpgIMG_20170404_154844492_TOP (resized).jpg

#57 7 years ago

Are you thinking that the wave generated at C8 is the output of the analog signal put out by the 1408 DAC? If so, then I can confirm that I get very little from C8 during music. I can crank the volume way up and hear a scratchy rendition of the drum intro to Sound Test 02, which is the multiball theme.

Also, I'm getting a weak "bong" sound when the sound board boots up, though it dies off really quickly. I get this tone every time I do anything that reboots the sound board, such as hitting the CPU reset switch or going into the Music Test. It's possible that my C8 capacitor is having problems. I'm going to Fry's tonight to pick up a couple of new Q1 transistors and some new capacitors for C8. Let's see if that helps.

#58 7 years ago

OK, good luck. Give us an update after parts replacement and we will go from there.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

Are you thinking that the wave generated at C8 is the output of the analog signal put out by the 1408 DAC? If so, then I can confirm that I get very little from C8 during music. I

Yes. At C8 I see a "flatline" DC reading during music off test or idle. During any other music test, such as "main theme", I see an active analog soundwave that pulses in time with the audio sample. C8 is a DC blocking capacitor, on one side of it you should see an active analog audio waveform, on the other side you should see the active audio waveform riding on top of DC. If you see the analog audio on only one side of C8, it is failed. If you don't see it on either side of C8, the problem is upstream, and not C8.

#60 7 years ago

OK! Drums again - and on both sound boards!

I replaced the Q1 transistor and C8 on both of them, and we're back in business. I also replaced R16 on the first of the two boards as a just-in-case measure while replacing the other two components. In retrospect, though, I probably didn't need to do that. It's also kinda big, since I had to use a 1/2 watt instead of a 1/4 watt, so I may put the proper size and spec one back in before giving the board back to its owner.

Next up: Bringing back "Yo, Taxi!" and other sounds.

#61 7 years ago

I have a hunch that the op-amps at U4 and U5 are bad. Pin 1 on each of them have very little output voltage, despite having strong input signal. I get a small amount of output when the knob is set to .5 volt/div. If I move it to .2, then the signal disappears from the screen and I can't do anything to get it back unless I go back to .5 volt/div.

So, wayout, if you could test the signal at pin 1 of U4 and U5, that'd be great. If your data is what I'm expecting, then I'll pick up a couple of op-amp replacements and see if that works.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

I have a hunch that the op-amps at U4 and U5 are bad. Pin 1 on each of them have very little output voltage, despite having strong input signal. I get a small amount of output when the knob is set to .5 volt/div. If I move it to .2, then the signal disappears from the screen and I can't do anything to get it back unless I go back to .5 volt/div.
So, wayout, if you could test the signal at pin 1 of U4 and U5, that'd be great. If your data is what I'm expecting, then I'll pick up a couple of op-amp replacements and see if that works.

U4 and U5 are not op amps on the sound board, so I assume you mean op amps U4 and U5 on the MPU board. U4 pin 1 only has output when there are sound effects present, roughly peaking around 500 millivolts. Likewise, U5 also has output at pin 1 when there are sound effects present, but a significantly larger output, roughly peaking around 1.5V

#63 7 years ago

"Yo, Taxi!"

And we're back. Replacing the two op-amps on the MPU gave me the last of the missing sounds. The common thread was the bridge rectifier on the power supply which, I believe, supplies the -12 to the system. I don't think it's a coincidence that nearly everything that broke was related to the -12 line. I don't know enough about electrical systems to understand why only those components got fried, but this whole experience has motivated me to pick up an Arduino, a breadboard, and some other components to start experimenting with electrical circuits so I can really have an understanding of how all this stuff works.

To the people who (actually) helped me out, thanks! I really appreciate it. This would've been much more difficult (if not impossible) without you.

#64 7 years ago

Excellent! Glad you got it.

The -12VDC rail only has a single smoothing cap out of the bridge. All it takes is a big spike and just about anything and everything that requires a differential supply (op amps and DACs) stands a good chance of being damaged. I suppose they could have included an overvoltage protection zener in the design.

#65 7 years ago

Sorry you had to suffer through it, but this is all valuable for the next guy. Glad it was just little stuff!

3 weeks later
#66 6 years ago

Frantickoala have you read this thread?

1 month later
#67 6 years ago

UvulaBob

I am working on a similar issue with my F14. If you could, when you do a sound test, which numbers in the test correspond to your drums and which numbers are your voices?

I have a problem with my F14 where all voices are gone which correspond to Sound tests 1-9. I dont have a scope yet to test the Q1 or op amps, but I have some C1458's laying around and I'll just pop one in there if I'm even semi convinsed it may fix my issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 109.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-missing-sound-channels/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.