2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Redwizard000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hello,

My Taxi machine is tilting when I release the right flipper. Actually, it randomly fires multiple switches on the White\Brown switch matrix row, including the two "unused" ones.

Also, some of the lamps, particularly the lamps on the joyride board, but some of the others also, will randomly flicker when the right flipper flips.

It has something to do with the flipper, not the lane change switch. I put the machine in edge test and I fire the flipper I see the error in test. However, if I manually move just the lane change switch with my finger without touching the flipper leaf switch the problem does not occur. It seems like the issue happens when the button is released, not when it's pressed. But that might be because the way the test screen shows it.

I checked all the J10 connectors (the one on the big board and the two on the smaller board beneath it) and they all look like they have solid connections and the harnesses are in good shape, as far as I can tell. I didn't take the boards off and look at their solder pads yet, but I don't think that's the issue as it doesn't seem like the switches themselves have problems.

I think, somehow the high voltage that activates the right flipper coil is somehow leaking into the white\brown pin on the matrix, but if I continue I would just be guessing and I don't know enough about these machines.

So I would appreciate any suggestions on what to try next. I was thinking maybe replacing the flipper coil? Maybe there's a bad diode on it and that's somehow causing the problem?

Thanks,
RW

#2 2 years ago

Looks like replacing the flipper coil solved the problem.

Bad coil diodes. I don't think I need to bother putting a meter on them...

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 109.00
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Redwizard000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-machine-tilts-and-other-things-when-right-flipper-released?tu=Redwizard000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.