Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0680.jpg
IMG_3378.JPG
IMG_4243.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Hello everyone..

I have lurked for a while, but this is my first post. I scanned the site to find
a similar issue, but haven't come across one so I figured I'd ask the experts.

I've owned my Taxi for about ten years. Love the machine and it still works
quite well considering I haven't had to do much in the way of maintenance.
I'm now getting to the point (thanks to pinside) where I'm not as afraid to
dig in and make sure it's clean and running well for years to come.

From day one, I've noticed that during a Joyride, I've never received a "Spot
Passenger" award. I've even played games where my sole purpose was to
see how many Joyrides I could get just to see if I would get one. Still, no
dice. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this could be and if there could
possibly be any fix? Do I need to pop out the rom chip and pop it back in once?

A couple other quick questions..

1) My old bulbs are getting burned out. I would like to upgrade to some LED's.
How do I know what type of bulb goes where (44/47/555/etc)? I know there
are a few different kinds available online.

2) I've seen a couple Taxi's in recent years with blue or green LED displays,
but I've searched and can't find anything other than orange. Does anyone
know where I could find one?

Thanks again and I appreciate any feedback you can provide!

#2 11 years ago

I have one of the earliest serial # Taxi's, had it for around 15 years, it has proto roms, mine does the exact same thing on Joyride. So I would guess it is the software.

#3 11 years ago

Regarding the bulbs, the bases will either be bayonet style (44/47) or wedge style (555). You can just look at the bulbs/sockets and see which type to replace it with.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

I'll ignore the Spot Passenger Joyride issue for now and work on
everything else.

In the meantime, I'll check into a couple sample LED packs and
see what works best.

Aaron

#5 11 years ago

The colored displays are LED replacements of the plasma displays. Couple different manuf. have them, but they aren't cheap. I recommend X-Pin.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from uofmpuckhead:

1) My old bulbs are getting burned out. I would like to upgrade to some LED's.
How do I know what type of bulb goes where (44/47/555/etc)? I know there
are a few different kinds available online.

2) I've seen a couple Taxi's in recent years with blue or green LED displays,
but I've searched and can't find anything other than orange. Does anyone
know where I could find one?

1) cointaker - they likely have a set made up for Taxi.

2) it's a waste of money in my opinion unless your display is gassing. Even then, I would still go orange. They used to be around $130 for most sets from Rottendog, but now they are hardly found anymore and all these new displays are insane price wise.

#7 10 years ago

Re: Joyride awarding Spot Passenger award: There is a "Jackpot Difficulty" setting (#34, value 1-6) in the game adjustments - maybe a higher setting on this would block spotting of passengers? I have not messed with this setting myself to know, but might be worth checking.

Mike B.

2 months later
#8 10 years ago

Finally... I was beginning to think that my Taxi was the only one on Earth never giving "Spot Passenger"! I've owned a Taxi for more than a year now, played the hell out of it, but never got the "Spot Passenger" reward. I never heard about rom prototype. I'll check my rom sometime, maybe it'll enlighten us.

uofmpuckhead : could you post a picture of your playfield, specifically the middle area? I'd like to check something that's been bothering me on mine, and that might confirm the prototype theory.

1 week later
#9 10 years ago

Here are some pics of my roms :

IMG_4242.JPGIMG_4242.JPG IMG_4243.JPGIMG_4243.JPG

#10 10 years ago

Did you appreciate towne31's observation and try adjusting audit 34 (jackpot difficulty)?

#11 10 years ago

I already reset the game to the factory setting once, and it didn't change anything.

I also tried to change the value of the "Jackpot difficulty" adjustment once. There's no specifics about what this adjustment does, and I found out that it changes the order of passengers and restricts the number of lit pickups (you can only pick one passenger at a time instead of two). Not sure whether it has an influence on "Spot Passenger" however, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I asked uofmpuckhead to post a picture of his playfield because mine has something I've never seen on any other Taxi (Marilyn or Lola) : above the green Airport inserts, the paint is white for about 2-3 centimeters. I looked at pictures of dozens other Taxis, and they all have grey paint on the same area (my playfield is far from perfect, I know ). As I was saying, if his playfield has the same particularity, it might confirm the prototype theory.

IMG_3378.JPGIMG_3378.JPG

#12 10 years ago

I have gotten Spot Passenger from Joyride. Once. I don't know what softwre rev it was but I'll try to find out this weekend.

#13 10 years ago

Mine has mylar in that area:

IMAG0680.jpgIMAG0680.jpg

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

I already reset the game to the factory setting once, and it didn't change anything.
I also tried to change the value of the "Jackpot difficulty" adjustment once. There's no specifics about what this adjustment does, and I found out that it changes the order of passengers and restricts the number of lit pickups (you can only pick one passenger at a time instead of two). Not sure whether it has an influence on "Spot Passenger" however, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I asked uofmpuckhead to post a picture of his playfield because mine has something I've never seen on any other Taxi (Marilyn or Lola) : above the green Airport inserts, the paint is white for about 2-3 centimeters. I looked at pictures of dozens other Taxis, and they all have grey paint on the same area (my playfield is far from perfect, I know ). As I was saying, if his playfield has the same particularity, it might confirm the prototype theory.

I have two taxi playfields here, and have seen several taxis, I have never seen the white in that area.. you may have somthing there, or not, looks different for sure..

#15 10 years ago

Yes... And it sure looks too clean to be something painted by a former owner. It's a real mystery.

#16 10 years ago

Very interesting.

That Joyride shot on Taxi is quite bizaare. It's a pinball "mystery shot" handing out a "mystery" score as one of the awards. In addition to a 10000 points award. Quite pointless the way I see it.

And now it seems that the Spot passanger award is never paid. I never notised this. This is a design flaw no matter any difficulty setting. It should be paid once in a while.

I wise they'd given this some more thought and replaced 10000 and Special by airport progress, light lock, advance bonus x, carrie passengers or similar. Stuff with influence on your gameplay priorities. But I guess things like that was not in the mindset for pinball design as early as 1988.

#17 10 years ago

My Joyride awards "spot passenger".

#18 10 years ago

I had the same issue with "spot passengers" I upgraded to the latest software and that fixed the issue. I get spot passenger about 1-6 tries.

I love Taxi!

Jeremy Agema
Central WI

#19 10 years ago

Yo Taxi.......hey!

#20 10 years ago

PINBOT Stranded! I love taxi.

#21 10 years ago

You give to me ride

#22 10 years ago

When I come to think of it, the X'ed part of the bonus in Taxi is oddly low. Anyone aware of how it is calculated?

Anyway, it inspired me to start this thread.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/go-for-the-tilt-pathetic-bonus-value-games

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-joyride and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.