• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

taxi map darkmint (resized).png
soundtaxicolor (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dragon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 4 years ago

you said the speakers are working clear with j4 removed from sound card , sound card feeds the speakers that sound ok when mpu is not connected . hum i assume sounds like 60 cycle hum , the story tells me the speakers are fine, the cable that interconnects the mpu to sound is a ribbon type if i recall correctly , do you have another one like it laying around?

#7 4 years ago

sound volume control , question are the electrolytic capacitors original on the sound card ? is my first thought it may not be correct diagnoses to the gnd issue but original 30year old caps i would get a kit and replace them ,replacing the caps made a noticeable difference on mine and while your at it reflow the connectors and maybe that will do it

soundtaxicolor (resized).jpgsoundtaxicolor (resized).jpg

#8 4 years ago

oh just to be clear , i'm only addressing the electroltic caps not all of the caps

#11 4 years ago

the hum is likely a grounding problem , 60 cycles from your house wiring is being presented onto your speakers in a small way , this 60 cycle ac was supposed to be filtered away before it entered the audio circuit but some resistance in something like a connector or component has added an impedance to hold a little bit of the ac somewhere that for example might be riding on top of your + 12 or -12 volt or 5 volt adding noise to an amplifier circuit , make sure all of the metal panels in the back box are grounded well , all of the electronic pcb's need to be at the same common ground so as not to lift the voltages zero point ground on different pc boards to a slightly higher 0volt point ground . in my taxi i replaced every connector on the harness in my back box plus reflowed solder on edge connectors of boards i didn't replace and replaced my electrolytic caps on the audio card and replaced the power board with a switching power supply the reason i did all of that is because the machine is really old and i wanted it to work great all the time and didn't want to chase little intermittent problems down all the time

#12 4 years ago
taxi map darkmint (resized).pngtaxi map darkmint (resized).png
#13 4 years ago

the power supply places grounds to all the boards , the blue section of the interconnect board had some burned traces and cold solder joints from the gi circuit in mine i had to reflow everything in there

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dragon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-hum-from-mpu-sound?tu=Dragon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.