• 25 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Paul1478
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

324F6EB0-06E5-4028-BD08-394B491129B9 (resized).jpeg
taxi (resized).jpg
taxi 2 (resized).jpg
20190208_125942 (resized).jpg
20190208_125903 (resized).jpg
20190208_125917 (resized).jpg
20190208_125931 (resized).jpg
image-14 (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

Shot in the dark, but I was wondering if anyone had an inventory of all the posts, screws, etc. that are needed to replace everything topside in a Taxi?

I'm shopping one out, hoping to make it as nice as possible and learning about the evils of loc-tite. I've never had so many posts give me as much trouble as this game has. A lot of the hardware is nasty anyway, so I thought I'd just replace it all. The manual doesn't list hardware on the parts list like the newer WMS titles do. Thanks!

#2 5 months ago

You don’t need to replace it. Put in it a tumbler for a few days and it will look better than new. Also, new metal isn’t always as good as the original. Unless it’s unsalvagable, a tumbler is an amazing thing.

#3 5 months ago

Yeah, I don't have a tumbler and that won't fix stripped, bent or broken off screw threads. Need a bunch of new T-nuts too...

#4 5 months ago

You’re right, won’t help the broken ones - but do salvage what you can. Posts can be hard to find. Have a similar issue on an Earthshaker - lots of posts broke during tear down and a few were not available and I had to have someone make custom ones.

#5 5 months ago

You didn't heat up the T-nuts with a hot soldering iron once you realized there was some loctite used? They will usually walk right out once you do. Loctite gets a bad rap. Very useful stuff.

#6 5 months ago

Here's the inventory of the game...

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

image-14 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#7 5 months ago

Thanks Rob!

Quoted from dozer1:

You didn't heat up the T-nuts with a hot soldering iron once you realized there was some loctite used? They will usually walk right out once you do. Loctite gets a bad rap. Very useful stuff.

Nah, wasn't a trick I knew about. Figured I'd just power through and deal with it later. Live and learn! Anyway, I believe I got most of what I needed but we'll find out. In the meantime I figure I'd turn this into a Taxi shop out thread. Might keep me motivated!

#8 5 months ago

Today I put some new legs on. Shiny new legs, Lt. Dan!

20190208_125931 (resized).jpg
#9 5 months ago

Replaced the trim around the backglass.

20190208_125917 (resized).jpg
#10 5 months ago

New cab switches and cleaned the buttons since I ordered the wrong size (too long), also installed the missing tilt bob.

20190208_125903 (resized).jpg
#11 5 months ago

And replaced the flipper switches.

20190208_125942 (resized).jpg
5 months later
#12 5 days ago

Well, I finally finsihed this up. I didn't bother to document since nobody seemd to care but it turned out pretty. New ramps (3), new plastics, rubbers, pops, and drops. Some WW LED's in the inserts and a PF protector for shine. It plays fast and tough. Big thanks to @sjcolo for help tweaking it into perfection.

taxi (resized).jpgtaxi 2 (resized).jpg
#13 5 days ago

Ever figure out a way to get rid of the ball hop from inlane to flipper?

Drives me nuts.

#14 5 days ago

Couple ways, but at some point when it's so bad you just gotta drill a new PF hole to move the wireform.

Actually, Juts looking at the pics seem like it would be easy with the way those hook to the PF...just a screwhole.

#15 5 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Couple ways, but at some point when it's so bad you just gotta drill a new PF hole to move the wireform.
Actually, Juts looking at the pics seem like it would be easy with the way those hook to the PF...just a screwhole.

I wish you could
Just loosen screw and adjust, but you can’t. There is another part of the guide that goes into the pf. See my pic for a different angle.

324F6EB0-06E5-4028-BD08-394B491129B9 (resized).jpeg
#16 5 days ago

Ahh yeah I thought it was weird it would be screws.

Yeah I've drilled and moved a guide like that before....you sure don't want to unless you have to obviously, and that looks like a nice one.
Did you try bending it? Like viciously?

#17 5 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Ever figure out a way to get rid of the ball hop from inlane to flipper?
Drives me nuts.

I haven't noticed it too much, but the left in-lane does squeeze the ball between the guide and new sling rubber slowing it down a tad which throws off your timing. I might put a 2" rubber on it if it doesn't break in, cause the lane guide isn't going anywhere...

#18 5 days ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Well, I finally finsihed this up. I didn't bother to document since nobody seemd to care but it turned out pretty. New ramps (3), new plastics, rubbers, pops, and drops. Some WW LED's in the inserts and a PF protector for shine. It plays fast and tough. Big thanks to @sjcolo for help tweaking it into perfection.[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great and love me some Taxi. Don’t feel like people don’t care as I know I’ve found I have missed tons of great posts documenting great work and find it later. Have had others say the same years later on doing the same. Someone will always appreciate the pics, advice and info at some point. So if you have tear down and rebuild photos, post them up.

Really like the playfield protector. Do you like how it plays with it on?

#19 5 days ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Looks great and love me some Taxi. Don’t feel like people don’t care as I know I’ve found I have missed tons of great posts documenting great work and find it later. Have had others say the same years later on doing the same. Someone will always appreciate the pics, advice and info at some point. So if you have tear down and rebuild photos, post them up.
Really like the playfield protector. Do you like how it plays with it on?

Thanks! I'm in that same group, lol. After months of procrastinating, it got put back together in a hurry. I like the PF protector and it plays great, no issues with ball hang ups. I just had to trim a little here and there but that's expected.

#20 5 days ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Shot in the dark, but I was wondering if anyone had an inventory of all the posts, screws, etc. that are needed to replace everything topside in a Taxi?
I'm shopping one out, hoping to make it as nice as possible and learning about the evils of loc-tite. I've never had so many posts give me as much trouble as this game has. A lot of the hardware is nasty anyway, so I thought I'd just replace it all. The manual doesn't list hardware on the parts list like the newer WMS titles do. Thanks!

system 11 hardware is a nightmare. I ended up using bolt cutters and going through and just cutting everything off and buying all new post and t nuts.

#21 5 days ago
Quoted from woody76:

system 11 hardware is a nightmare. I ended up using bolt cutters and going through and just cutting everything off and buying all new post and t nuts.

I was lucky to be able to find all the posts I needed at Marcos. They aren't the best quality anymore but yeah, it was all a PITA and probably doubled the re-build time. The 30 year old PF made it tough to bang in T-nuts too...

#22 5 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ahh yeah I thought it was weird it would be screws.
Yeah I've drilled and moved a guide like that before....you sure don't want to unless you have to obviously, and that looks like a nice one.
Did you try bending it? Like viciously?

I haven't.

I may yank them from the pf and try.

The pf was redone and cleared, so I don't want to crack the coat.

#23 5 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

The pf was redone and cleared, so I don't want to crack the coat.

Yeah for sure... that's why I'd try a little hammer tapping in place first

#24 5 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah for sure... that's why I'd try a little hammer tapping in place first

I'd think that would crack the clear actually.

I think I'd have to pull out the wireform out, which ALSO could crack things.

Damned either way... haha

#25 5 days ago

Well done sir. looks good. I Love my taxi. I need to replace my ramps, but only for looks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, CA
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside