You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200606_000444_resized (resized).jpg
20200606_114332_resized (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Half of the general illumination lighting on my playfield went out. I traced the issue to the connector at the relay board (located on the underside of the playfield). The connector was warm and showed signs of overheating - yellowing/burnt plastic. By re-seating the connector, I was able to get it working again.
Most of the playfield lamps have been replaced with LEDs.

I don't know if this is the result of the machine age, a previous fault, or some current problem. Does anyone have any experience with this issue or suggestions on corrective action? Thanks!

20200606_000444_resized (resized).jpg20200606_000444_resized (resized).jpg20200606_114332_resized (resized).jpg20200606_114332_resized (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Looks like you need to remove the burned male header from the board, clean things up and solder in a new header. You should also replace the female connector. I use Trifurcon crimp terminals for the wires.

#3 3 years ago

Yes. That connector needs to be redone. It is burnt because Williams put too many lamps on one circuit and over time it burns.

#4 3 years ago

Using LEDs should keep this from happening again.

#5 3 years ago

You'll get better replies on one of the Solid State forums. This is Electro Mechanical
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-efficiently-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-em

#6 3 years ago

Thanks for the all the replies and advice on the best forum for this type of query!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-general-illumination-failure-at-relay-board-connector-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.