• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130312_214758_resized.jpg
20130223_180512_resized.jpg
display.jpg
IMG_1487.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rancegt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 11 years ago

I have a Taxi display that I'm not using. I'll have to plug it into Rollergames and take a video and then you can see if you might want it.

I also have the speaker panel and some of the playfield plastics/parts, so if you need something I can check if it's there.

#7 11 years ago

I plugged the taxi display into my Rollergames and the lower display is showing some errors, so that display isn't ready for prime time.

Looking at your original question, there are a few things you can still check. First, you can put the display from you Whirlwind in your Taxi and verify that both lines work. It's a fast check and you'll then know that your CPU is getting the right data to the display board.

When a display begins to out-gas, you'll have some faded or missing letters when you turn on the machine. As the machine warms up, the missing letters may brighten and eventually appear normal. On my Rollergames, I was missing the first letter of each word that appeared on the top display. I don't know whether these things fail in consistent patterns.

If it turns out that your display glass is bad, I know that I at least have one good glass, but they can be a hassle to change if you don't do a lot of soldering. One piece of known good used glass seems to go for about $40 right now.

Quoted from kporter946286:

I need a coin door bezel for my taxi, if you are parting it out.

To be clear, I'm not parting out a Taxi, that was done long before I got to it. I mostly have a few playfield parts and a rotted out cabinet. I'll take a look at the cabinet and see about the coin door bezel.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from blizzak:

If the display is outgassed, you usually see little white / gray dots scattered throughout the display. I found a photo that shows a typical example.

I did this when I got my Taxi. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly but you have to remove two resistors from the display board. This is because the jackpot display "steals" the segments from the lower display (that's why the lower display isn't alphanumeric!). If you compare the display board from Whirlwind and taxi, you should see where there are a couple of missing resistors.

This could explain some of the strange behavior I saw on the Taxi display I tested in Rollergames. Conversely, you could put your Taxi display into Whirlwind and see how that looks. You really just need a go/no-go test on the glass right now.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Welp, I don't see the specks on the Taxi display, but the upper glass fails to light when I put the board in the Whirlwind as well. Bottom lights up crisp/bright. I've tested as much as I could on it and don't see any bad components that are obvious.
I'd hate to buy new displays, but it looks like I'm SOL on this pickup. To make matters worse, I've searched every distributor I can think of, and pinscore, xpin, etc... everyone is out of stock. Sigh.
rancegt, I certainly don't mind doing the soldering work and picking up your display, but I would like to know if there are certain multimeter/logic probe tests that can be done to ensure that a swap would work and there isn't some other issue. The board looks super clean and I can't find any broken traces.

You're basically stuck with two problems right now. The first is your display on that is likely bad, and your second is the bonus display. I can't see a single point of failure that would cause display one to go dark, other than the glass. The second is your bonus display, which could be bad, or U4 could be bad. I don't have much experience with these boards, so you may want a second opinion.

I'll PM you about the display board that I have.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 22.50
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rancegt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-displays?tu=rancegt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.