• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RCA1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20130312_214758_resized.jpg
20130223_180512_resized.jpg
display.jpg
IMG_1487.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG

#1 6 years ago

Somedays you can help others and somedays you need the help.

After a nice and speedy burnt GI rebuild last evening, I'm onto the display issue this evening. So far, it looks like (knock on wood) that this is the only issue I have inherited with my Marilyn. Lights are good, sound/music is good, switches are good...displays not so much.

The top 16-digit display and the external jackpot display are both non-operational, and yet the lower main display is bright and crisp. So far I have tested the voltages -- good. In fact, it looks like someone had done the zener diode swap before as I have +80/-90 instead of +90/-100. All the connectors test good back to the CPU. Both ribbon cables test good. I have tested all the UDN6118 and 7180 chips as well as all the resistors. Using the ribbon cable to the jackpot display as a test, I have verified the high voltage as well as +5V going to many of the odd numbered pins.

At this point, should I just cut my losses and plop down the $200 for a new set of LED displays? I really enjoy fixing things but I see nothing board wise that appears to be wrong. However, I see nothing visually apparent in the displays to suggest they're outgassed either -- but I haven't had much luck sourcing information or photos on what one should look for.

Any additional troubleshooting is most appreciated. Worst case, anyone know where I can find pinscore displays for Taxi? Everywhere I checked is OOS.

Also, can I put my known working Whirlwind display in the Taxi even though Taxi has the additional side display?

#2 6 years ago

I'm working on a Diner now and had almost the exact same problem. Perfect lower display, but spotty upper. My voltages checked out, 39k resistors were perfect and zener diodes right on. I switch out my Earthshaker display after checking all those things as a last resort. Worked like a charm, so I just ordered a new Pinscore display from Marco's yesterday. Sucks not being the $1 fix, but probably the original display in these games, so I guess $200 for another 20 years of service isn't too bad.

#3 6 years ago

I swapped display sets from my Jokerz into Taxi to help in testing things. The taxi board has the "Slave" port and some extra resistors and circuitry to run the Jackpot display. J4 is your slave port. After all my testing I switched the displays from Taxi to Jokerz with no issues...I ended up doing all 3 new glass displays. I'm very happy for doing so. Mine were all original.

IMG_1484.JPG

#4 6 years ago

Here is the "Taxi" display installed in Jokerz! after I replaced both plasma displays....

IMG_1487.JPG

#5 6 years ago

I have a Taxi display that I'm not using. I'll have to plug it into Rollergames and take a video and then you can see if you might want it.

I also have the speaker panel and some of the playfield plastics/parts, so if you need something I can check if it's there.

#6 6 years ago

I need a coin door bezel for my taxi, if you are parting it out.

#7 6 years ago

I plugged the taxi display into my Rollergames and the lower display is showing some errors, so that display isn't ready for prime time.

Looking at your original question, there are a few things you can still check. First, you can put the display from you Whirlwind in your Taxi and verify that both lines work. It's a fast check and you'll then know that your CPU is getting the right data to the display board.

When a display begins to out-gas, you'll have some faded or missing letters when you turn on the machine. As the machine warms up, the missing letters may brighten and eventually appear normal. On my Rollergames, I was missing the first letter of each word that appeared on the top display. I don't know whether these things fail in consistent patterns.

If it turns out that your display glass is bad, I know that I at least have one good glass, but they can be a hassle to change if you don't do a lot of soldering. One piece of known good used glass seems to go for about $40 right now.

Quoted from kporter946286:

I need a coin door bezel for my taxi, if you are parting it out.

To be clear, I'm not parting out a Taxi, that was done long before I got to it. I mostly have a few playfield parts and a rotted out cabinet. I'll take a look at the cabinet and see about the coin door bezel.

#8 6 years ago

However, I see nothing visually apparent in the displays to suggest they're outgassed either -- but I haven't had much luck sourcing information or photos on what one should look for.

If the display is outgassed, you usually see little white / gray dots scattered throughout the display. I found a photo that shows a typical example.
display.jpg

Also, can I put my known working Whirlwind display in the Taxi even though Taxi has the additional side display?

I did this when I got my Taxi. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly but you have to remove some resistors from the display board. This is because the jackpot display "steals" the segments from the lower display (that's why the lower display isn't alphanumeric!). If you compare the display board from whirlwind and taxi, you should see where there are a few missing resistors.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from blizzak:

If the display is outgassed, you usually see little white / gray dots scattered throughout the display. I found a photo that shows a typical example.

I did this when I got my Taxi. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly but you have to remove two resistors from the display board. This is because the jackpot display "steals" the segments from the lower display (that's why the lower display isn't alphanumeric!). If you compare the display board from Whirlwind and taxi, you should see where there are a couple of missing resistors.

This could explain some of the strange behavior I saw on the Taxi display I tested in Rollergames. Conversely, you could put your Taxi display into Whirlwind and see how that looks. You really just need a go/no-go test on the glass right now.

#10 6 years ago

Welp, I don't see the specks on the Taxi display, but the upper glass fails to light when I put the board in the Whirlwind as well. Bottom lights up crisp/bright. I've tested as much as I could on it and don't see any bad components that are obvious.

I'd hate to buy new displays, but it looks like I'm SOL on this pickup. To make matters worse, I've searched every distributor I can think of, and pinscore, xpin, etc... everyone is out of stock. Sigh.

rancegt, I certainly don't mind doing the soldering work and picking up your display, but I would like to know if there are certain multimeter/logic probe tests that can be done to ensure that a swap would work and there isn't some other issue. The board looks super clean and I can't find any broken traces.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Welp, I don't see the specks on the Taxi display, but the upper glass fails to light when I put the board in the Whirlwind as well. Bottom lights up crisp/bright. I've tested as much as I could on it and don't see any bad components that are obvious.
I'd hate to buy new displays, but it looks like I'm SOL on this pickup. To make matters worse, I've searched every distributor I can think of, and pinscore, xpin, etc... everyone is out of stock. Sigh.
rancegt, I certainly don't mind doing the soldering work and picking up your display, but I would like to know if there are certain multimeter/logic probe tests that can be done to ensure that a swap would work and there isn't some other issue. The board looks super clean and I can't find any broken traces.

You're basically stuck with two problems right now. The first is your display on that is likely bad, and your second is the bonus display. I can't see a single point of failure that would cause display one to go dark, other than the glass. The second is your bonus display, which could be bad, or U4 could be bad. I don't have much experience with these boards, so you may want a second opinion.

I'll PM you about the display board that I have.

1 week later
#12 6 years ago

Hey WX did you get my PM? Your display has been pulled, and is all packed up, let me know....

#13 6 years ago

I sure did!! Will get $$ to you today. Had family in town over the weekend and didn't get that crossed off my list.

#14 6 years ago

No problem, just wanted to make sure you knew it's ready....

#15 6 years ago

I want to give HighSpeed1 a HUGE public shoutout and 50 reps. He took the time to perfectly desolder a 16 digit alphanumeric display (far from an easy task), pack it like a one-of-a-kind fragile vase, and shipped it to me for nothing more than the cost of shipping. It arrived in 2 days from North Carolina to Kansas City!

I was able to remove my old display with ease, but then had to hot glue the standoffs to his new display taking measurements to make sure all the offsets were perfect -- thankfully that worked. I think I'm a good solderer, but getting 40 fragile pins in a very small space was slightly unnerving. After testing everything for continuity, I put the board back in the Taxi, still having no idea if the problem was the old display or the board despite all the testing above. Flipped on the switch and BAM!!!!

Chris, I owe you man! What a great asset to this community. Thank you so much!

Now all I need is a 7 digit jackpot display and we are good to go!

20130223_180512_resized.jpg

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Now all I need is a 7 digit jackpot display

If it's the correct part, there's a 7 digit display at pinballlife for 52 bucks.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=18&pg=1

#17 6 years ago

Awesome anytime. I figured it was just the display glass! Same issue on my Taxi when I bought it too. Bummer, I tossed out the working jackpot display glass when I replaced all 3 plasma's 2 months ago. Save your pennies and go with a new jackpot glass. I bought all of mine from www.competitiveproducts.com because the nipples were in the exact spot i needed them to be so I didn't have to drill a new hole in my board..

2 weeks later
#18 6 years ago

Welp, the jackpot display was apparently outgassed too! After painfully removing the old 3M double sided tape, removing the old display, drilling a hole in the display board for the nipple on the new display and finally soldering in the new display pins and testing for continuity, I plugged her in.

Viola!! Camera didn't catch both main displays lit, but all 3 are crisp and bright. Total repair cost $66 for the displays!

20130312_214758_resized.jpg

#19 6 years ago

Awesome. Thanks for closing the loop!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#20 6 years ago

Awesome , i really want to play one of these Taxis.

#21 6 years ago

Nice work!
Looks to be in pretty good condition.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Sale Pending!
Summerville, SC
$ 21.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside