You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20180528_133918 (resized).jpg
20180528_134049 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider InfiniteLives.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Oldschool77:

Ok, latest update (sorry for the delay, been really busy)...
Here's everything i have confirmed is NOT the issue (I have a Rolelrgames now, so even though i don't have a logic probe, i feel like having a good system 11 to go by voltage wise, i can rule most of this out just by comparison)...
It is not the following...
Solder flecks on the back of the board
Ribbon Cable (brand new)
Display or Master display board (swapped with Rollergames, and the issues stayed with the Taxi)
Wiring from MPU to the display (checked continuity on all wires)
Power supply (rebuilt by me a while back, and all voltages are spot on)
My repairs (I know the issue didn't start until after my repairs, but i tried removing all 4 transistors and leaving them off the board this time, cleaned up the traces really well so i can visually see there is no shorting with any of the traces, verified that with a meter, put the board back in the game with all 4 transistors out, and no change)
Here's what i THINK it is...But i need someone to confirm I'm reading the schematics correctly please....
The segment in question is " d' " (lower display, bottom segment). Tracing it backwards from the display board it goes like this...
Pin 5 Jack 3 of display board to pin 5 Jack 3 of MPU
Pin 5 Jack 3 of MPU to pin 5 of SRC9
Pin 5 of SRC 9 to pin 13 of U51
And then that's where i don't know where to go next....
But i do know this....On SRC 9 the pins are all 4.7Kohm except pin 5 which is around 4.0 Kohm (new one on hand....not sure that's my issue, i feel like something upstream is pulling that pin down, not the SRC), this was done with J3 unplugged.
And when the game is on, and in display test with all segments lit, I'm getting around 1.9VDC on pin 13 of U51, the rest have 4.8'ish VDC.
So to me that says that i have a potential U51 issue....and i have a new one and socket on hand, but I'm not ready to start replacing it until i reach out to you guys a bit more to see if I'm on the right track here.
On a side note, during normal operations U51 in my Taxi is significantly hotter then the other chips, and significantly hotter then U51 in my Rollergames

did you ever figure this out? im having some segments always lit on in my f14 trying to figure out where to go next

new display, new power supply, working ribbon cable, re-did connectors

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider InfiniteLives.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-display-segments-stuck-in-after-unrelated-mpu-repair-help-please?tu=InfiniteLives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.