Taxi display problem

By Seamlesswall

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 3 years ago

Taxi display problem and was hoping for some guidance. Lower left digit out, the one that shows
First digit of match at the end of game. Replaced U1, and swapped U17 and U18, traced and relfowed.
Put display in another game and same problem. Aside from a possible break under the display glass itself anything else I should try?
If it is an under glass problem are there LED placements for the whole board?
Also, not sure what readings I should be getting from the legs from the glass to the board. Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

Made some headway but before I proceed, which possibly (I can't believe it the board was incorrectly made?) could do some harm. Taxi has no schematic of display board, so I am referring to Earthshaker and Whirlwind schematics along with a table listing specifically which glass leg does what. All schematics say that Strobe 16 goes to legs 5 and 7. Other strobes legs are tied together in a similar fashion via a trace i.e. Strobe 15 to legs 11 and 13 etc. But Strobe 16 (which is my problem) Leg 5 is tied to leg 3 via a trace. Leg 7 is floating where a trace goes to R 56 spot (no resistor there nor should a resistor be connected to this leg) Leg 3 controls segment j.
Any insight to help me along?

#3 3 years ago

Rather than drive yourself crazy, why not just replace it or replace the entire system with a Pinscore? Especially if you intend on keeping it awhile

#4 3 years ago

Drive myself crazy? I'm already crazy! Well, yes, the pinscore is certainly an option that has been suggested to the owner of the machine, problem is he knows I eventually always figure out and fix his stuff (sometimes with the forums help) so he's playing the waiting game. One other thing, I do learn quite a bit as he has over 60 games to fix and sometimes the strangest things crop up. This has me intrigued now, oh and lest we forget basically I am in lockdown virus 0 degree weather outside mode and have nothing better to do...

#5 3 years ago

Turns out 3 resistors are missing associated with that character. I just assumed there was a reason but that reason shall be a mystery. Brady Dist. stickers on board. Once the resistors are installed I'll report back.

#6 3 years ago

My system 11 display was missing a segment, turns out it was a broken lead to the glass, pretty easy to spot when you look for it. Not really repairable, but you can unsolder and swap the entire glass which I did and it actually worked. A miracle given my soldering skills. I happened to have 2 displays, one with a bad glass and one with a bad board. Was able to make one good one out of the 2. Bought a Pinscore for the other game.

2 weeks later
#7 3 years ago

Well dummy me, those resistors are meant to be missing for Taxi. Pinscore out of stock at Marco and Wolffpac also out of stock for LED replacement.

Quoted from Leeb18509:

My system 11 display was missing a segment, turns out it was a broken lead to the glass,

It's the lower left (of the 16 digits) display (whole digit) out. Anyone know which # pin to the glass I should be looking at?

#8 3 years ago

Mine was easy to find once I looked close enough. It will be near the affected segment.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Well dummy me, those resistors are meant to be missing for Taxi. Pinscore out of stock at Marco and Wolffpac also out of stock for LED replacement.

It's the lower left (of the 16 digits) display (whole digit) out. Anyone know which # pin to the glass I should be looking at?

Truly not trying to push anything here, but in case you can’t figure it out, hoping to have these display kits back in stock within the week.

3 weeks later
#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolffdp:

Truly not trying to push anything here,

You don't have to, I will push for you. Ended up ordering the kit, took about 5 hours to assemble (my first one), and was impressed with the quality of the board & components. Installed it into Taxi (which had a history of a fire) and a bunch of segments were not working - wait for it - realized that if I juggled the old ribbons all segments worked. Then I realized that the voltages are much lower and would be more sensitive to carbon resistance. Ordered a ribbon kit, installed, the displays worked flawlessly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 109.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-display-problem-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.