• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1C58BA20-9C1A-4BCF-9081-1335ECBAB481 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hi all, first time posting since I could not find a solution searching the site. The credit/start button on my Taxi game is not working. Not only that, (forgive the terminology) the thin bent wires on the coin door that I would normally use to add credits are not working either. The game has not been used in quite some time but it boots up with no errors, previously it worked fine. I checked all of the connections to make sure they were tight, and I did not see any loose or disconnected wires on the start button. Can someone point me in the right direction? Lights, sounds, flippers, etc., all seem to work normally. Just can't start a game. TIA.

#2 4 years ago

What are the errors?

Does it say something about factory defaults? If so, then the game settings were probably lost and the free play setting along with it.

Have you changed the batteries? Have the batteries leaked onto the board?

If you're familiar with the settings menus, the free play setting is adjustment 23, which should be set to yes.

[edit]:Nevermind, I must have misread.

#3 4 years ago

Hmmm. If it doesnt start a game sometimes it means it is missing balls or cant located the 2 loaded (bad trough switch). I would enter the service menu and test your switches, include the start button. You can check if it is working there or not. Make sure it is showing both switches in trough are good.

#4 4 years ago

There are no errors indicated. I can't change any settings because the start button is not working. The batteries leaked about 10 years ago and I had it repaired and the battery case moved. I didn't think about checking the balls, but I know they are there but maybe they are just stuck??

How do I check the switches in the trough with the service menu? Again, I thought the start button is used for selecting choices in the menu and without it working I can't select any changes.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from NJFISH:

Again, I thought the start button is used for selecting choices in the menu and without it working I can't select any changes

You are correct, the start button does make the changes but isn't needed to do game testing. You also don't really know if the start switch is working until you place the game in switch test and then push it. So far everything that you have described could be some other issue but you won't know for sure until you run the test. Check all the switches for activation, but also make sure to hold each switch long enough to register 4 times and that only the one switch shows on the display. If 2 or more switches show up on the display you have other issues. You also need to remove the balls while testing for other switches. With balls removed and no switches pressed nothing should show on the display, it if does you have a switch that is stuck closed. This will need to be fixed first to continue the test.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You are correct, the start button does make the changes but isn't needed to do game testing. You also don't really know if the start switch is working until you place the game in switch test and then push it. So far everything that you have described could be some other issue but you won't know for sure until you run the test. Check all the switches for activation, but also make sure to hold each switch long enough to register 4 times and that only the one switch shows on the display. If 2 or more switches show up on the display you have other issues. You also need to remove the balls while testing for other switches. With balls removed and no switches pressed nothing should show on the display, it if does you have a switch that is stuck closed. This will need to be fixed first to continue the test.

Thank you. That was helpful. It looks like switch edge 07 is an issue but I can’t locate that switch. Is there a list of them?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from NJFISH:

Thank you. That was helpful. It looks like switch edge 07 is an issue but I can’t locate that switch. Is there a list of them?

You might not be interpreting that correctly. The full manual is downloadable as a PDF from IPDB.org.
The 07 may just mean that the game is in switch edge test mode, depending on what you are seeing.
If it really is switch 07, it's the slam tilt switch. Switch matrix is shown on page 31 of the manual.

#8 4 years ago

I’m getting there. Lol. 07 is the “slam tilt”. Not sure if this is related but it didn’t help when I jumped the broken white wire.

1C58BA20-9C1A-4BCF-9081-1335ECBAB481 (resized).jpeg1C58BA20-9C1A-4BCF-9081-1335ECBAB481 (resized).jpeg
#9 4 years ago
Quoted from NJFISH:

I’m getting there. Lol. 07 is the “slam tilt”. Not sure if this is related but it didn’t help when I jumped the broken white wire.[quoted image]

That is not a slam switch. The slam switch is on the back of the coin door, it keeps people from kicking the coin door.

#10 4 years ago

Resolved. Broken wire. Soldered and all good. Thanks for help.

#11 4 years ago

Playball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hartville, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.