IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider killerrobots.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2336 3 years ago

Just finished a full playfield restoration of my taxi and got everything back together and running. Everything is working fine but I have one thing that I am not sure is a switch issue or just the program.

When the ball rolls over the right inlane "Bonus w/l" all of the lights go out (including GIs) for 1/2 sec and then flash on dramatically with a call out that has Gorby saying "Watchout". I don't remember this from before and the left inlane doesn't do it. Is this a feature or a bug? In a dark room you literally can't see the ball when it happens and the ball is on top of the flipper so it is hard to play, that seems like something I would remember. I am wondering if this isn't a switch matrix issues triggering something else but I can't seem to replicate another switch making this same light display and call out. When you get a ball lock it does something similar but not quite the same.

#2337 3 years ago

Ha ha, just figured it out. I had swapped the right outlane and inlane. That was the outlane "lost ball" sequence. Simple fix. Here are some pics if anyone is interested.

Before:

High Wear Around Bumpers High Wear Around Bumpers

Clean with New White but Otherwise UntouchedClean with New White but Otherwise Untouched

I had a lot of wear around the pops and big color difference on the "road" across the playfield. Plus damage to a lot of inserts.

Post Touchup and ClearPost Touchup and Clear

CloseupCloseup

Installed with 1SMD Warm LEDSInstalled with 1SMD Warm LEDS

#2340 3 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Looks great! That's a hard top install? Roughly how many hours did you put into the whole project from disassembly, preparation, install, and rebuild of the playfield?

Thanks MoSeS, no it is not a hardtop. It is a full repaint, new inserts, decals and clearcoat.

How many hours...maybe 100? I sort of dragged it out. Also I had a weird issue with my clearcoat and decals that kept wrinkling so I had to sand and redecal a couple of times. It took a while to depopulate but I was very careful with labeling and it went back together quick. It is my second full restore and this went a lot better than the first.

LabelingLabeling

#2342 3 years ago

Yeah it's a process.

Step 1 - Remove everything from the playfield
Step 2 - Clean
Step 3 - Replace and flatten inserts
Step 4 - Mask and paint areas for touch up
Step 5 - Print and apply decals for text
Step 6 - Clearcoat, sand flat and polish

None of the steps are that hard (except maybe the clear coat) but you just repeat them over and over. Takes a lot of time and patients but not necessarily much artistic talent.

So you start with something like this:

1108201848b (resized).jpg1108201848b (resized).jpg

Take a picture of the text and then paint over with white:
1111201723_HDR (resized).jpg1111201723_HDR (resized).jpg

Then create a decal of the text in photoshop and apply it on top:

1213202010a_HDR (resized).jpg1213202010a_HDR (resized).jpg

To apply the paint you use a clear mask and then cut out the inside with an xacto. I don't have a picture from Taxi but here was my previous:

OriginalOriginal

Masking and PaintMasking and Paint

AfterAfter

I am just an amatuer but there are folks that are much more experienced than me. I just enjoy doing it and learning a new skill.

#2344 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

That's really cool. Looks great. I'm lazy and would just do a hardtop. Lol

A hardtop is definitely easier. However I had to learn to do it on my Dr. Dude because no one makes a new playfield or hardtop.

#2346 3 years ago

You did a great job, truly. Don't discount your work, that definitely took skill to do.
I want to have my taxi touched up at some point (and factory mylar pulled) but for right now I'm just going to play it as is. I have the artistic ability of a turnip.

I don't really have any artistic ability either. I learned that if I get a small enough brush and magnifier it doesn't really matter. It is more like paint by number.

I didn't have any mylar left on my machine, someone before me pulled it. The problem was that it aged differently and there was a clear line where it used to be.

Mylar LineMylar Line

#2348 3 years ago

Yeah, that's a big problem with mine as well. What's under the mylar essentially looks perfect and what isn't...looks stained. I'm not sure there's any way to remedy that besides repainting, which is unfortunate.

How are you pop bumper area? Mine was trashed. I don't know why they didn't mylar back there.

It was gauged to bare wood an 1/8" deep.
1108201852d (1) (resized).jpg1108201852d (1) (resized).jpg

#2350 3 years ago

Yeah, yours are not as bad as mine but it sucks to know that every time you play they are getting worse. That was why I redid mine. Sorry, not to plant a seed...

#2352 3 years ago

Well you are right. If you are going to hardtop it then you can treat it like a farm truck because you are just going to sand it off anyway.

1 month later
#2400 3 years ago

Welcome. That one looks good. Is it restored?

#2402 3 years ago

Enjoy, it is a house favorite for us. It is simple but addictive.

3 months later
#2474 2 years ago

Right, it's definitely from the mylar. Just didn't know how people would actually..... Fix that

I restored my Taxi and had pretty severe color difference under the mylar . I fixed it by repainting it and then clear-coating but that is not for everyone but I don't think there is any other way.

Before - CleanedBefore - Cleaned

After Painting - Before ClearAfter Painting - Before Clear

After ClearAfter Clear

#2478 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Dammit! I need one of these...
I can only get 4 spins on a good day out of my broken/badly repaired spinout...

Sorry about that, I needed one too.

#2480 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Sorry about that, I needed one too.

My old one is okay but is missing some screw holes so it moves slightly and makes the skill shot inconsistent. However it does work, I can get two whole cycles on a full plunge. I am happy to send it to you if you pay for shipping.

5 months later
#2615 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I'd like to replace my rubber rings ,but the manual isn't very helpful,unless I missed something?
This is the list I found, and it doesn't seem right? Plus there's no diagram showing where the rings go ?
[quoted image]

When I do it I try to change them all. Typically I order a full kit from Marco:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RK1773-1

and then just match them to the kit as I take them off.

#2616 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Hey gang! I flipped on my Taxi only to find that half the playfield GI is out: basically the entire right hand side, including the rollover lanes up top.
I absolutely suck at diagnosing GI problems, so help narrowing things down would be appreciated.
My current thought process is that a wire broke the daisy chain under the playfield, but I don’t see an issue. Is there a header on the interconnect that specifically drives this chain of lamps?[quoted image]

So the first thing to ask is what is different? Where you doing something under the playfield? Transported it with head down?

After that, check your fuses first and if one is blown then assume something is shorted. Fuses blow for reason, just changing it probably won't fix it unless you shorted with a tool or something. I would check each lamp socket and make sure there is no obvious short.

If the fuse isn't shorted then wiggle the GI connectors on the board and make sure they are well connected. After that follow the GI chain and see if there isn't something weird.

If you don't find anything then you probably have a bad transistor. In my experience I have blown them when I have crushed a socket or shorted with a tool when trying to do something when the lights were on. If you haven't done it before changing a transistor is a little intimidating but not bad after you do it once. I have had a lot of GI issues on old Bally/Williams but the circuits are not that complicated.

It can be frustrating but it is likely something simple. If you have any question just ask.

#2621 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

It looks like the yellow/white-yellow string. The purple string is the one that's working. Wiggling the connectors on both the interconnect and the relay under the playfield don't yield any results, so it could be a fuse.

No changes. Just flipped the game on the other day and noticed it.
When I get home from work, I'll check fuses. I'm not convinced it's a transistor, since I believe the playfield GI is all controlled through the single relay under the playfield?

I would first check fuse 2. I would actually pull it and check it out of the machine to make sure it is fine. If it is okay then I would check voltage on pin 7 and 6 on the interconnect board (J9). Compare them to 1 and 5 (your working side) with the game on. If you are getting the same voltage then the issue is on the playfield side. If not, it is a voltage issue on the interconnect board I would guess.

I broke out the schematics and you are right that the GI doesn't seem to go through a transistor but straight from power supply through the interconnect board. I am not sure of this but I suspect the relay on the playfield is normally on and they cycle it off for GI effects. You should do a "Coil Test" and on Item 11 it will flash the playfield lights. See if the left (working) side flashes. If so the relay probably works since it does both circuits together.

#2625 2 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Just picked up a Taxi... looks nice next to my HS
Question... is there a way to turn off the bell?

The bell is SUPER LOUD! I turned it off day one.

Awesome game, just played it today. Doesn't do a lot but it does it really well. I recommend setting the jackpots to the highest minimum (500k) and lowest maximum (1.5m) and the fastest advance. This makes it less jackpot focused and incentivizes doing other things. Just my home-use advice.

Recommend the Silverball Chronicals podcast (TPN network) about Python Anghelo for context on its design.

#2644 2 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

So... got a Taxi two weeks ago.
Works great for the most part: but two things I'd love guidance on from the smart kids:
- I have a few raised inserts that are under the mylar. I know usually you can warm the insert with a hairdryer and lightly tap them back down; but can this be done through the mylar?
- I get a random Tilt once in a while. It usually happens right after it passes through the C-A-B lanes and hits the Pop Bumper. Any ideas what would cause it? There is 0 movement in the cabinet when it happens.

For the second one, it is probably a switch matrix fault. I would guess a bad diode but you should go into switch test and play with all the switches and see if any register two or more when it should only be one. Note any that are funky and check the switch matrix in the manual and see if they are all related by column or row.

Also, just look at the switches and see if there is any obvious fault such as a missing diode or diode installed backwards.

This might help as well:

https://homepinballrepair.com/pinball-switch-lamp-matrix-troubleshooting/

Screenshot 2021-11-08 082009 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-08 082009 (resized).png
#2665 2 years ago

I redid my Taxi with all 2smd warm bulbs and it has a very pleasant amount of light. I like a bright game but IMHO Taxi is kind of a dark theme so it still has some shadows but has plenty to play by in a fully dark room. I don't think you need the spotlights. I tried them in my LotR and they really didn't add much light and I have had issues with the bulbs falling out and them moving around. I would recommend trying it with just the bulbs and then adding if you think you need them. To be honest if you really want more light a light bar (i.e. pinstadium type) is the way to go. You can make one yourself without too much trouble. That is what I ended up doing on my LotR.

1111211249_HDR (resized).jpg1111211249_HDR (resized).jpg
#2679 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I think it looks 100% better with the LEDs. I think I'll skip the spotlights,and go with just the LEDs.

Yeah, I thought it might.

2 months later
#2760 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

How exactly is that drop flap supposed to work at the bottom of the spin out ramp? My ball sometimes hangs up there, a little shake, and she drops...nothing in the manual about it...don't feel like pulling it out at this point as I'm planning a restoration down the road...

There is not much to it, just a metal flap that gives under the weight of the ball. Might check your spinout ramp is center on it.

1108201040_HDR (resized).jpg1108201040_HDR (resized).jpg
8 months later
#3070 1 year ago
Quoted from VeryCurious:

I could use advice on a weak left flipper. I recently rebuilt both flippers, upgraded them to Fliptronic style and both flippers have been snappy since then. Today I happened to hit the jackpot not once, but twice (I never hit it before)! Shortly after that the left flipper got weak and I limped through the rest of my plays (the right flipper continued to play fine). Afterwards I pulled up the playfield and checked the connections, sleeve, stroke, EOS, flipper button, etc, and everything seems to be ok.
So now I'm wondering if maybe all the jackpot excitement might have over-juiced something somewhere. How can I check this? I have a multimeter but not sure where to begin. Is there a multimeter walkthrough for System 11s, or Taxi specifically?
And anything else I should consider?

Maybe your flipper cracked and is loose?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider killerrobots.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only?tu=killerrobots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.