IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MonkeyGrass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#142 10 years ago

Look out!

Hey guys, just picked up my first Taxi last weekend. I'm in the club!!

Set a personal High Score the other day on Factory Settings - 7.2 million!!

I do have a question for some of you more experienced Taxi owners... I've got an issue with it not saving High Scores, and occasionally it will show "Factory Reset" on boot. About every third time, I just get lights and blank display. Power it off and on again, and it's fine except for the noted "Factory Reset" message about once a week. The machine was recently shopped, and looks to have a new power control board installed. Everything works great, and I'm no stranger to working on my own machines, so any tips would be great!

#144 10 years ago

Hey thanks singlebanana!

It just came back from the shop, with a new battery holder and power supply. At some point, I will move it off the board, but this was all just done within the last couple months - everything looks and tests out clean at this point. I've got a perfectly functioning 11b right next to it (Police Force) and I'm double checking every reading on that machine as a benchmark.

It boots up correctly 9/10 times, then it will randomly drop everything and reset. I've tested the batteries, the holder, the connection at the board - it seems like more of a ROM glitch than anything else, but I'm still testing and working thru stuff. It goes thru the CPU and Sound tests every time without a hitch, though...

#145 10 years ago

I think I've figured it out!!

I just *knew* this wasn't a battery/board corrosion thing!! Well sure enough, I traced the grn/brn line, which is the interrupted ground trigger for the score reset, and well... looky here!

2014-04-25 16.37.36.jpg2014-04-25 16.37.36.jpg

Yep, that's the reset wire in question, hanging off the reset switch. Now the random nature of the resets make perfect sense... whenever the cab got nudged or bumped during a game, the wire would ground out on the coin door, thereby completing the circuit to reset the HS. Next game - all the scores are gone and replaced with factory defaults.

I just ran two games that got me on the leaderboard, so I'll make sure they "stick" and that this was, in fact, the issue. I can't imagine it wasn't, since everything else was testing out fine, including the CPU and Sound ROMS.

Pshew! I wish they were all this easy.

#149 10 years ago

Yes sir! You've got one heck of a collection yourself there singlebanana!! We should get together one of these days, I've got a couple pinhead friends of mine that get together regularly and smack some silver balls around. I'm so stoked to have Taxi in my collection, it's one of my all time faves and a real "period" game for me, since it was new and all over the place my freshman and sophomore years of high school. Pin*Bot, SS, Whirlwind - all time favorites of mine!!

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

I was just putting up my best effort, but fell short. Had my personal best tonight @ 6,999,930. Yep, I have yet to crack 7 mil.
nice job on the diagosis Monkeygrass. You have good taste in games.

Thanks! Pretty much anything Williams from 84-91 is good with me!!

Looks like that was the problem. I dropped two high scores before dinner, turned it off, and just went to check it and they are still there. Life is good. Now, I just gotta get or beat 7.2 mils again so it'll stick on the board!!!

1 week later
#156 9 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

Home games are set to free play, so what setting do you choose for special? Also, have any Taxi owners here ever looked into Cliffys?

I set the special to give an extra ball. Since it's free play, credits mean nothing and Taxi can be kinda stingy on the EB's!

#157 9 years ago

Hey question for the Taxi owners out there -

Anyone else ever have an issue with the ball getting stuck just to the left of the "C" rollover lane? Sometimes after it pops out of the spinout, it gets hung up between the Gorby Gate and that top star post rubber on the top of the "C" rollover. It's a PITA - and it's happening about 1/5 balls launched. It'll get stuck good enough I end up tilting it about 75% of the time trying to knock it back into play.

Any thoughts? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm going to pull the glass and go in there and see if there anything I can do to tweak it.

#162 9 years ago

Next time it sticks, I'll grab a shot with my camera. I spent some time playing with it last night, turns out when I moved Taxi over into that corner of my living room, it hit a high spot on the right hand side of the floor. It was several degrees off level, so I tweaked the legs and got it back in line. I'll play some more today and see if it is still a problem. It just wasn't rolling back down off that little wire guide before the Gorby/Santa gate and the "C" rollover. If you look up there, you can see there's a wireform to prevent it from sticking there. On a weak kickout from the spinout kicker, it would go back towards the gate, slowly start to roll towards the "C" rollover and then hang right there on the left upper corner.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

A pic would be nice.
Slow rolls that lead to ball hangs like that are often remedied with a good clean/wax of the area. This results in more overall ball speed in that area, and so the ball is less likely to ever move slowly enough to come to a rest.
-mof

Yeah if it does it again, I'll grab one. I just re-leveled and played 3-4 games it rolled right back down that wire guide like it's supposed to. I did just recently clean/wax/plexus the whole playfield last week. As it happens, the left side ramp switch (ball release) wire pulled off while I was replacing the plastics yesterday, so I'm going to have to pull that ramp and re-solder the leads to the switch box later on. I'll go back there and super-wax that lane again while I'm at it!

Thanks mof!

1 week later
#178 9 years ago

Heck I just picked mine up last month - fully shopped, new rubbers, rebuilt coils, new battery holder and some minor corrosion repair, with a missing Lola plastic and a cracked departure ramp - for $1000. Original playfield with some minor wear, but I kinda like that on an old original Sys11 table. I've put about $300 into new ramps, replacement plastics, and some small upgrades, and I've got a killer, 100% functional Taxi for under $1500. Cab is one of the best original jobs I've ever seen, hardly any fade or scratches, it looks incredible.

Unless you are having a *real* hard time finding a Taxi, I'd pass or negotiate that deal down significantly.

2 months later
#251 9 years ago

Yeah, that's just a standard wood screw in there with a washer under it. Nothing too crazy. I had to replace mine with a slightly thicker thread, due to a previous owner over-tightening it and stripping out the threads in the wood. Re-tapped with a larger diameter wood screw, and she's good as new.

#255 9 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

Bad case of poison ivy = playfield painting party!

20140724_193744.jpg 53 KB

You *are* going with the blue spinout ramp, blue flipper rubbers and pop bumper caps, right? :p

Yo, Blue Taxi!!

4 months later
#367 9 years ago

I've put several LEDs in my Taxi... Mostly just inserts. The GI just doesn't look right to me with LEDs - I had to pull them out. I did put some warm frosted LEDs underneath the ramps, because going in there is a total PITA and not something I care to do to replace a single incandy bulb every few months.

However, putting a green LED under Santa, red under Gorby, orange for Drac, cool white (looks blue) on Lola and warm white (looks yellow) under Pin*Bot - I think it really makes the character inserts pop and match their "color" on the PF. I also put warm frosted LEDs in the flashers under the ramps, really makes the Special, Jackpot and EB events look cool. One of my favorite changes, was adding Red/Yellow/Green LEDs under the C-A-B rollovers to match the stoplight art!

I can't stand LEDs in the backbox on this game. Way too directional and "spotty" for my taste. They leave very focused light blooms instead of warm, ambient lighting IMO.

The only thing left I really want to do, is get one of those bendy LED spots that you can position, and put it under the left side ramp, facing into the Drac catapult (thru that little window there). That's the one area of the PF where it's really dark and I don't quite get why that section doesn't have a stock light over there...

3 weeks later
#388 9 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

It's possible that the target is angled back a bit, so that the ball rebounds off it in an upward direction. Take a close look and see what it looks like. If that's the case, you can look into replacing the target. Ball hitting the glass happens occasionally on any machine. Not a big deal.
Yo! Taxi!

Mine does it ALL the time. Off the right corner, near the Gorby shot. Sometimes, it'll flip up in the air and land on the ramp, then roll down to the inlane! Great free shot at the Joyride

1 month later
#416 9 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

My catapult fires the ball fast too. I think that is how its designed and ultimately led to broken ramps on many machines. Mine was broken at the curve from the Drac catapult and I replaced it with one from Marco.

That's how it works. Mine was cracked in the corner when I got it, but the new replacement ramps are twice as thick and I am not worried about the replacement cracking.

As for the "inlane walkup" issue, the ends of the wireform are where you will find the solution. Mine did this terribly when I first replaced the ramp, like 3/5 catapults would walk right up the inlane and roll over to the outlane. You need to open up the wires closest to the flippers by bending them a bit. It allows the ball to exit cleanly and not develop that wicked backspin. Once you get it right, you'll know! Changes the flow of the game considerably.

#417 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Didn't see any, so here's a pic of our Taxi prototype game. Graciously donated to the Mystic Krewe of the Silver Ball by Chris Granner, sound designer extraordinaire:
taxi proto.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I'd REALLY like to see some better closeups of that playfield, if at all possible.

3 weeks later
#433 9 years ago

Ha! I never even knew there was supposed to be a sticker there...

See that? Hang out on Pinside, learn something new every day...

3 weeks later
#455 9 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

ebay.com link ยป Taxi Pinball Playfield Plastic New 8
The plastic piece is on eBay for $25.00 and you can get the ramp at little shop of games.

That's the pin*bot Carry Passengers plastic.

I'm about 99% sure he's looking for the Marilyn/Lola one, which is red, breaks all the time because of the way the ball slams into the corner by Gorby, and is made of almost pure unobtanium.

I somehow managed to find a spare on eBay, but that was pure luck. Many Taxi owners end up buying the entire plastic set, and parting out the rest, just to get that one piece.

Good Luck!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MonkeyGrass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only?tu=MonkeyGrass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.