IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MoSeS_1592.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1490 5 years ago

In a correct setup should the player be able to hit the lowest pinbot drop target with a properly timed left flipper shot? Seems like there is no way to hit that target except random luck because the right slingshot is in the way and the target is just out of reach.

#1493 5 years ago

My machine was also missing the traffic light plastic. I decided to make my own, I moved it so it sits almost above the "Jackpot" playfield light, and also illuminated it with three LED's. The LED's are connected to the traffic light on the upper right side of the back glass, so they cycle periodically like an actual traffic light.

20190331_203127 (resized).jpg20190331_203127 (resized).jpg
#1496 5 years ago

My main display has some digits gassed out and flicker horribly due to old age. The display needs to be replaced. The "meter bonus" display however is crisp, perfect and does not need to be replaced. That being said, I saw this for sale:

https://ksarcade.net/new-used-pinball-boards-parts/rottendog-products/displays/rottendog-led-display-dis240-red-blue-orange.html

Its an led replacement for system 11 games, looks identical to the one in taxi but the listing does not say that it is compatible with taxi. I assume it is because the "meter bonus" display is not included.

So, can I use this display in my taxi, with a low voltage LED replacement for the primary display and a high voltage glass/gas tube display for the "meter bonus" display?

The reason I ask is that this kit is $100 cheaper than the ones that comes with the "meter bonus" display, and also have 3 colors to choose from. I never looked but is the "meter bonus" display powered from the main display board or does it have its own power feed from the power supply?

If this won't work, then does anyone know of anywhere to purchase (used or new) just the main display (led or traditional) without the "meter bonus" display?

#1497 5 years ago

Is uncollected jackpot value retained from game to game until it's collected (like in pinbot)? I never noticed until just recently that on attract mode the diisplayed jackpot value on my machine was 1.6million. I'm pretty sure I set the starting value at 500,000.

If this is the case is there a way to disable jackpot carry over?

#1499 5 years ago

But does it retain its value from game to game if not collected?

#1504 5 years ago

Thanks for clarifying.

6 months later
#1560 4 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Has anyone ever done anything to add extra light to the spinout bowl? I think it would look cool to brighten it up.
Ideas?

Yes, I did this on mine. I used a 5 inch red led strip with adhesive back and put it on the inside of the spinout bowl along the upper rim where the ball can't hit it. It's on the player side of the bowl so it can't be seen but it illuminates the entire bowl bright red and looks great.

7 months later
#1985 3 years ago

This may have already been addressed but I noticed on my Taxi when a ball is shot hard directly into the Santa kickout hole, a lot of the time (more than half), it bounces right back out. What causes this and is there a way to minimize this from happening? I assume part of the problem is the wood on the front edge of the kickout hole is worn down and has less vertical height to prevent the ball from rolling back out. Has anyone experienced this problem or found a fix for it?

2 weeks later
#2039 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Not bad, maybe a bit heavy on sys11. My World Cup Soccer boards are on their way back soon.. Then I get to hope like hell I can get them all hooked back up.
Of course, the two PRIMO pins aren't shown...
Jack's is off by itself like the dork it is, meteor is in timeout for being a jerk.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I like the Rick Sanchez head laying next to the vintage boombox in your photo. That is one of my favorite shows haha.

5 months later
#2338 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Ha ha, just figured it out. I had swapped the right outlane and inlane. That was the outlane "lost ball" sequence. Simple fix.
I had a lot of wear around the pops and big color difference on the "road" across the playfield. Plus damage to a lot of inserts.

Looks great! That's a hard top install? Roughly how many hours did you put into the whole project from disassembly, preparation, install, and rebuild of the playfield?

#2341 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Thanks MoSeS, no it is not a hardtop. It is a full repaint, new inserts, decals and clearcoat.
How many hours...maybe 100? I sort of dragged it out. Also I had a weird issue with my clearcoat and decals that kept wrinkling so I had to sand and redecal a couple of times. It took a while to depopulate but I was very careful with labeling and it went back together quick. It is my second full restore and this went a lot better than the first.
[quoted image]

Very nice! when you say a full repaint and decals what do you mean? I've seen adhesive playfield decals that can be placed to touch up worn areas, but did you paint some areas by hand and place decals in other areas? Also, did you clear coat over the adhesive decals (if I'm correct on the decals thing)?

#2376 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

My spinout is super annoying but I'm hitting 75K..100K if I'm lucky. I put an MRS switch in the bowl but haven't removed the old switch yet to see if that gets me that last little oomph I need. It's close.... very frustrating. I tried shims, different rods, different sleeves, springs, etc. It's frustrating me to the point of just dealing with it at this point.

dumb question, what exactly is an MRS switch?

#2379 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

And it allows the ball to register more spins because of it's contactless nature....MRS' can be used in a variety of pins - from your collection - Pinbot would be another - we just supplied 2 to a PinBot customer to replace the back ramp switches as he bought a new ramp and didn't want to bother with all of the leaf switches and riveting...so all he'll need to do is plug, stick and play!
Matt
M&M Creations

Very cool! I recently concocted a homebrew opto sensor with an adruino to replace the missing center ramp switch on my Space Shuttle (the proprietary switch/gate mechanism under the shuttle toy was missing). Had I knows about these MRS's I could have used this instead and it would've been 100x easier. I may still swap in one of these in the future to simplify the setup.

1 week later
#2392 3 years ago

Any way to increase the amount of time the carry passengers target remains lit? That target (and bottom Pinbot drop target) seems nearly impossible to hit without blind luck.

#2396 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

No way to increase the carry passengers time that I'm aware of. It's a pretty easy target to hit with a backhand from the left flipper though.
Adjustment 43 allows you to increase the pinbot targets duration if you want to increase that. 30 seconds is the maximum.

I'm going to be practicing that backhand shot like crazy now

Any tips to hit that bottom Pinbot drop target? Seems like the right slingshot is in the way relative to the position of the left flipper, regardless if the ball is caught on the flipper or has full momentum down the flipper inlane. I usually focus on another passenger until the bottom drop target is randomly hit, then I go in the for the kill on the rest of the drop target bank... That or try to nab Pinbot on the spinout. Either way, I've never liked the idea of intentionally designed "chance" targets that can only be hit by luck rather than skill. Not sure if that applies here, maybe I'm just not that good haha.

7 months later
#2587 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

The playfield looks better than a lot of Taxis I've seen. Those slingshot plastics are incorrect though!

Those are from LW3.

2 months later
#2681 2 years ago

Anyone know if/where this piece is available? Mine is cracked and glued to hell and back and needs to be replaced altogether.

SmartSelectImage_2021-11-14-15-06-24 (resized).pngSmartSelectImage_2021-11-14-15-06-24 (resized).png
#2683 2 years ago

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#2721 2 years ago

Been noticing a lot of bounce outs when I get a direct hard shot in Santa kickout... the ball recoils a bit and rolls right back out of the kickout hole and usually SDTM. I'm pretty sure it's because the front edge of the hole is worn down. Any solutions to correct the issue?

1 month later
#2766 2 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

If you mean not having to start every new ball with zero passengers, then no there isn't a way to turn that "on" and keep the passengers from ball to ball. The only way to keep them is to hit the "Carry Passengers" target at the back left of the playfield when it is lit. (It can only be lit by completing all drop targets on wither Pinbot or Marilyn/Lola).
This makes the game somewhat frustrating to newer/inexperienced players, but it also makes it difficult enough for better players to enjoy it and not find it too easy. Works great in that sense for a home game. I've had Taxi for 4 years now in a very small collection and it's not going anywhere.

This is pinball blasphemy to some folks but I added a mod to my taxi (can be disabled with a flip of a switch of course) that when the carry passengers target is lit it also flashes DRAC lamp blue, and while he flashes blue the DRAC shot and carry passenger target both carry passengers. This makes the game A LOT easier since DRAC is an easily attainable shot for novice players as opposed to the passengers target which is luck unless you're really skilled. I never actively shot for carry passengers target because it's so hard to hit, so having a realistic way to carry passengers ball to ball changes strategy and has made the game more entertaining imo. I never liked the 'start from scratch each ball' feeling I got from taxi, it's my only gripe with the title even though it's my favorite.

3 weeks later
#2793 2 years ago

Can't remember if this is a system 11 issue, but if I replace the back box flashers with LED's and leave the playfield flashers incandescent will that work or does it need to be all LED's, and does taxi use warming resistors that need to be snipped?

#2796 2 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Taxi doesn’t use warming resistors, but there is an issue with System 11c if you switch all flashers to led. You’ll see ghost flashes in some bulbs when you hit the flipper buttons.
You can fix it by using a standard flasher bulb in each affected circuit. That’s the easiest and least intrusive way.
The other option is to remove certain diodes from the aux board and add diodes to some coils.
This is a pretty comprehensive thread on the issue:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adding-led-flashers-to-system-11-games

Thank you!

1 month later
#2884 2 years ago

My display has been progressively fizzling out for years now and I think it's time to bite the bullet and replace it. I see XPin and Pinscore replacements. Any other options I'm missing? Pinscore seems out of stock for taxi. Xpin is not LED, correct? I like the color options with XPin and it seems a bit cheaper as well. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

#2888 2 years ago

Thanks for the advice!

#2890 2 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Some of their other products have issues, but I've had great luck with Rottendog displays and they were always less expensive than anything else.
https://www.thepinballwizard.net/rottendog-circuit-boards/williams-dual-16-digit-alphanumeric-display-classic-orange-dis240/

This display looks identical to the one in taxi but doesn't include the meter bonus display. I actually only need the 16 digit display, my meter bonus is perfect. Will this work? I thought taxi 16 digit display had another extra ribbon connector to connect the meter bonus and this made the display in your link incompatible with taxi. Correct me if I'm wrong because this would be perfect if it's compatible.

Taxi isn't in the list of compatible games for any rottendog displays I see.

#2903 2 years ago
Quoted from mIkea:

Wolffpac all the way. Great product and outstanding customer support.
https://www.wolffpactech.com/product-page/williams-data-east-d-12232-2-display-kit
BTW, small bits of window tint film can be used to hide the segments of you want.

Where can you get them pre-assembled?

#2907 2 years ago

Thanks for the advice!

#2916 2 years ago

What type of window tint exactly are you guys using to hide the unlit segments? Anywhere to purchase small quantity of the tint, like 8.5"x11" sheet or does it have to be purchased in a giant roll enough to tint all windows in a standard vehicle?

#2917 2 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

What type of window tint exactly are you guys using to hide the unlit segments? Anywhere to purchase small quantity of the tint, like 8.5"x11" sheet or does it have to be purchased in a giant roll enough to tint all windows in a standard vehicle?

1 week later
#2936 1 year ago

Just got some XPin displays. Dumb question, do the adhesive vinyl color overlays get placed directly on the digits or on the clear portion of the back glass?

#2938 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Directly on the digits. I put the foam windows around them first, then apply the tint.

Thanks for the clarification!

#2939 1 year ago

Well, I installed the new XPin displays and unfortunately I think I received a defective display unless I am missing something. All of the middle segments on the lower display and several segments on the slave display do not illuminate. The display has a "segment test" button, and when the button is pressed all of the segments should light up. This does not happen and I'm sure it is not the MPU or ribbon/wire harness since these segments work fine with the old display. Am I missing something? Anything else to try? The links are bad to the PDF instructions on their website but installation is pretty self explanatory unless there is some out of the ordinary quirk with Taxi's display in particular.

I tried creating a support ticket with XPin but receive a "sorry no robots allowed" error when I submit the ticket (tried through phone, Chrome, and FireFox to no avail). Redirects me to http://support.21-electronics.com/ but the parent site will not allow me to register.

20220504_181432_resized (resized).jpg20220504_181432_resized (resized).jpg20220504_181503_resized (resized).jpg20220504_181503_resized (resized).jpg20220504_181529_resized (resized).jpg20220504_181529_resized (resized).jpg20220504_181613_resized (resized).jpg20220504_181613_resized (resized).jpg
#2941 1 year ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Try this email address: [email protected]
They were very helpful when I had issues.

Thanks. I did just a bit ago and they already responded. Great customer service!

1 week later
#2960 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Messed with mine quite a bit tonight. The switch in the bowl seemed to be slowing down the revs quite a bit so I tweaked it. My shooter rod is aligned dead center. I deep cleaned tge spinout bowl and waxed the shooter lane. Still 75k is my max.
I can get more than plenty of revs if I launch the ball by hand after the wireform. But something between shooter rod and wireform is drastically slowing it down. Maybe its time for a slo-mo video to hopefully catch something im not seeing right off hand.

I had this issue when I got mine and it was the position of the shooter rod. I loosened the shooter assembly from the cab and put a plastic wedge (around .75mm thick) at the bottom and tightened it in. This lowered the rod and point of contact on the ball. It made all the difference. On some plunges I can actually get to 75k twice so it's almost too much power. Also I wouldn't crank the wireform down super tight.

#2962 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

sagging playfield hangers that need to be bent into alignment as well as moving the shooter assembly a bit, usually brings everything into a workable alignment.
Certainly angling the shooter assembly will make everything close to perfect as the playfield is at an angle to the front of the cabinet.
But adjusting the front hangers to raise the playfield a bit is good enough in most cases.
The shooter tip must hit exactly in the center of the ball, the shooter gauge forks must leave the ball less than 1/16" away from the shooter tip.
On a full plunge I often get 8 or more spins. But is all rebuilt and aligned.

Interesting. I never thought about the hangers sagging but makes sense, after 30+ years of constant pressure they're sure to sag and effect ball position relative to the plunger. Good call!

2 months later
#3012 1 year ago
Quoted from DCRand:

I am having a different issue with the Spinout bowl. When the ball is launched at slightly less than full pull back of the plunger, it works pretty well and get anywhere from 50K to past 100 to the 1K mark. But no further. When the plunger is pulled all the way back, most of the time - after the first full spin in the bowl, the ball hits what I think is the first rivet (slow mo video doesn't show it perfectly) on the metal guide strip and hops up slowing the ball down to where it will only reach 10 or 25K points. Have tried aligning the ramp, metal guides, etc. And can't fix this.
Next thought was to drill out both rivets, and glue or use high bond tape to try to hold in the guide strip. Any thoughts?

That's a tough call. Just for the hell of it try slightly loosening the screws that hold the shooter lane habitrail down and see if you get any improvement.

On mine applying a bit more pressure to the bottom of the shooter rod when releasing seems to get more spins around the spinout.

5 months later
#3134 1 year ago

Ant tips on fixing ball bounce out in Santa kickout? About 75% of the time the ball bounces out and rolls sdtm on mine. Very frustrating. Doesn't happen hitting it through gorbie shot.

3 months later
#3314 1 year ago
Quoted from WalrusPin:

I am having an issue with my jackpot display missing various parts of cells and am thinking of just pulling the trigger to LED (as much as I try to be a purist). Is Wolffpac Tech the only option? https://www.wolffpactech.com/product-page/williams-data-east-d-12232-2-display-kit Are there any other kits I should look at? I have a 'g' field burned out on one of the lowers as well, otherwise I would probably try to just hunt down a used one.
Does anyone know the p/n for the four plastic standoffs that hold the jackpot display to the back box? mine are completely worn out, which is part of what caused this failure.
Thanks!

I also installed Xpin displays in my taxi and they are great.

5 months later
#3405 6 months ago
Quoted from John1963:

Where would you tap into GI for this mod?

It's a 12v led strip connected to a 9v DC power supply. It doesn't tap into the native GI.

I have a surge protector mounted in the cab that it plugs into. The surge protector plugs into the internal service outlet. I wired the outlet so the master switch turns the service outlet on and off. Easily reversible mod.

2 months later
#3461 4 months ago

I like how the pf looks with blue pop bumpers. I may have to swap mine for blue!

1 month later
#3605 74 days ago

Stumbled across this 1/34 scale diecast taxi on ebay. It has gloss yellow paint and it fits perfectly on the departure ramp. Nice toy to spice up the playfield if you're into that modding stuff.

20240210_013037 (resized).jpg20240210_013037 (resized).jpg20240210_013044 (resized).jpg20240210_013044 (resized).jpg
#3607 73 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

This is awesome, I’ve never been into modding but for some reason this one got me. It looks like it belongs in the game. I ordered one for mine! How did you install?

I used servo tape and mounted it on the top of the metal gate. I used wire flush cutters on the plastic base under the car to trim it flat so it fits nicely on the gate. You'll see what I'm talking about when you see the underside of the car. Very easy to do.

#3612 72 days ago
Quoted from The_Great_Man:

I like it. I have 2 of these on my High Speed game and I was looking for a mod for my Taxi.

Where did you get the traffic lights? Those are great. My traffic light plastic was missing when I bought my taxi so I made my own, moved it above the gorbie lane, and added leds to it that are controlled by the traffic light lamps in the backbox. I'd love to upgrade it to something like this and the size seems perfect.

1 week later
#3627 60 days ago

As I've aged I've gotten a little more critical of crazy mods and rainbow puke lighting and have un-modded and de-puked several of my machines to an extent but I couldn't resist on this one. I added a 1/64 scale die cast taxi to the arrival ramp. It is a 1987 Chevrolet Caprice taxi, which is the exact taxi of the era this game is based off of. Also added a model traffic light with functional lights over the Gorbie/jackpot lane.

20240223_231255 (resized).jpg20240223_231255 (resized).jpg20240223_231332 (resized).jpg20240223_231332 (resized).jpg20240223_231336 (resized).jpg20240223_231336 (resized).jpg20240223_231409 (resized).jpg20240223_231409 (resized).jpg20240223_231438 (resized).jpg20240223_231438 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#3641 33 days ago

I have a new switch coming. Last night I noticed that sometimes when the ball goes into the Dracula Catapult it will sit for a couple seconds and then release but also the game is having a strange reaction....One time the ball went into the Catapult and when it got released it triggered the multi-ball to start...Other times it sounds like a coil is firing when the ball gets sent out of the catapult. Is there something else I can check. I am about to "try" to get into the schematics but that does not always go well for me.

I had the same issue with a ball would sometimes catapult immediately and sometimes wait for several seconds and sometimes not at all. It ended up being a bad switch.

1 week later
#3671 24 days ago

I have decided to go with 3 red opaque bumper caps with the 7 led Comet lights underneath. I will let everyone know how that works out. As for my Matchbox mod - I ended up using 4 different taxi cars...3 on the ramps in the playfield and 1 on the top of the cabinet. I like it but most important - my daughter likes it.

A little late to reply but for what it's worth I like the afterburner leds for the pop bumpers. They aren't overly bright and they also make the base/shaft of the pop bumper glow in cool white which adds more light to the playfield and adds dimension to the pop bumpers. They are brighter than standard leds but not so bright that you need sunglasses to play haha. I'm not a big fan of the ultra bright UFO look either. I decided to go red, green, yellow. For the bottom green pop I used a standard led with a green lens because the green afterburner was too bright imo. The cool whit GI under the drop target plastic illuminates the pop bumper base perfectly so it all looks consistent.

This version is discontinued but I'm pretty sure they still make them.

https://cointaker.com/products/discontinued-afterburner-1pop-bumper-leds

SmartSelect_20240330_180440_Adblock Browser (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20240330_180440_Adblock Browser (resized).jpg
#3673 24 days ago

Pop Bumper Update:
So here is where I am at with the pop bumpers. I am using the Pinball Life BriteCaps - they really light up the underside of the pop bumpers. I am also using 2 - opaque pop bumper caps and 1 - translucent pop bumper cap (the space ship). I could be persuaded to keep trying but these look pretty good to me. I am showing the before and after and you can really see how much brighter the area is under the pop bumpers.

Those really lights up the upper playfield and looks nice! The last picture I posted before, the camera flash was on. This is closer to what it looks like without the Flash on. Keep in mind phone camera does not capture LEDs very well and this is all a matter of personal preference.

20240331_010810 (resized).jpg20240331_010810 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MoSeS_1592.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only?tu=MoSeS_1592 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.