IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Canuck_pinhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2623 2 years ago

Just picked up a Taxi... looks nice next to my HS

Question... is there a way to turn off the bell?

#2626 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

You can disable it in the service menu.
I have played it both ways, now I really like the bell for the jackpots etc. It wakes the game up!

Awesome... my wife and dog thank you

#2628 2 years ago

Just reading on the machine a bit.
Is the Marilynn playfield rare?

#2631 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Most games now have the marilyn playfield and backglass.
Lola seems more rare today.

Ok. This is an original playfield I believe.

#2642 2 years ago

So... got a Taxi two weeks ago.
Works great for the most part: but two things I'd love guidance on from the smart kids:

- I have a few raised inserts that are under the mylar. I know usually you can warm the insert with a hairdryer and lightly tap them back down; but can this be done through the mylar?

- I get a random Tilt once in a while. It usually happens right after it passes through the C-A-B lanes and hits the Pop Bumper. Any ideas what would cause it? There is 0 movement in the cabinet when it happens.

#2645 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

For the second one, it is probably a switch matrix fault. I would guess a bad diode but you should go into switch test and play with all the switches and see if any register two or more when it should only be one. Note any that are funky and check the switch matrix in the manual and see if they are all related by column or row.
Also, just look at the switches and see if there is any obvious fault such as a missing diode or diode installed backwards.
This might help as well:
https://homepinballrepair.com/pinball-switch-lamp-matrix-troubleshooting/[quoted image]

Thank you!
I will try that when I have a bit of time to play.

#2646 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have the same condition on mine. I used a deep throated C-clamp to press down on a hard wood block on the top of the playfield. I used a 2 part epozy from the back side to secure the edges of the inserts to their holes. You likely have to remove some pieces underneath to make room for the clamp. I glue 1-2 inserts at a time if the clamp can press down on that many, let it cure for about an hour and then move to the next one.

Do you tighten them cold or after a little warming up?
(Also... does it mess up the mylar??)

#2650 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I use a nice flat and smooth piece of oak on the playfield side. It leaves no impressions on the old mylar. If no mylar I put wax paper down first under the wood block. The hot versus cold thing does not seem to have much effect in my experience, especially on System 11s. Williams used some large rectangular inserts and they really move around. The adhesive lets go locally and the variations in wood/plastic movement slowly detach the bond. This is not a hot/cold issue. If the adhesive was instead creeping and accommodating movements I would think heating it might help but I don't think that is what is happening. I notice that arrow inserts really tip up at the arrow tip end and you can easily push them down but they spring up again. The arrow tip adhesive has let go.
Chances are the mylar is a bit tented up over the raised insert. This has saved your insert from being chipped apart. But it stays detached even when the insert is pushed back down. Trying to fix that has a lot more risk and trying to fill it is actually quite a large volume. It is not like trying to wick CA glue under a delaminated chunk of clear coat. The mylar gap is quite large. Best thing I do is prick it with a pin and press it down again now that the air can get out but it is of limited success. A really tented section will definitely stay much lower down though.

Beautiful.
thank you for this!

#2669 2 years ago

Is there anybody making reproduction ramps/spinout for Taxi? (Like the FreePlay40 ramps)

#2672 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Not sure what the deal is but the price is right! I agree blue looks best too.
ebay.com link: Williams Taxi Pinball Spinout Spin Out Ramp with Ball Retainer NEW BLUE

Saw that one.
Was thinking about it, but saw nothing for the Arrival/Departure ramps which need replacing as well.

1 week later
#2684 2 years ago

OK.
I've got my new Spinout ramp (Blue) and the two other ramps on their way.

Never swapped out ramps before.

Any tips tricks I should know going into this? Any help much appreciated. I scoured Youtube looking to see any tear down videos and found nothing. I swapped out a bunch of star posts and most rubbers. Still to do the ones under the ramps. Any tips on dealing with T-nut (?) fixings that spin on the bottom of the playfield preventing you from removing the screw also appreciated.

#2687 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I read in the System 11 club, that you should heat the T-nut with a soldering iron,when you're removing the post. They may have used some kind of lock-tite when it was built?

Interesting.
So just touch the metal with the iron I guess??

#2690 2 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

You can do that, I opted to just break the posts and t-nuts as they are both cheap and it saved a significant amount of time trying to heat up and remove old hardware

I thought about that as the old star posts are going in trash anyways

2 weeks later
#2710 2 years ago

With my ramps torn out... now seems like a good time to upgrade the flashers.

With my HS I needed to read things for LED to work in flashers. Same boat for Taxi??

#2712 2 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

No, Taxi doesn’t have the warming resistor boards like HS. The issue with led flashers in Taxi is that when you replace all of the flashers with leds, you may see some of them slightly ghost when you press the flipper buttons. I believe Whirlwind has the same issue. It’s not a huge deal, but it’s kind of annoying.
I did some research and read that it’s due to the flashers being on the same circuit as some of the coils. There are a couple of workarounds that people developed involving adding diodes to some of the coils or removing diodes from the aux power board.
For me, I just changed a couple of them back to regular 89 bulbs and it solved the problem.

Good to know.
Will just leave them...

Got a bigger issue now as my wireforms do not fit in my new replacement ramp.

#2716 2 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

I assume your replacement ramps are from Starship Fantasy. I had the same issue with my ramps not fitting because they installed the brackets backwards during production. Reach out to Larry to replace them with no problem if that’s your issue or you could just drill out the rivets and rivet the brackets back in the correct orientation.

Ya... that's likely the issue.

Kinda annoyed as I was just fitting the wireforms after a full day of tear down and was the last step. I bought through a distributor in Canada. Hopefully not an issue getting replacement.

#2722 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me what length rubber goes behind Marilynn? Manual I have looks like it's been photocopied 109 times then faxed. Can't make it out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Canuck_pinhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only?tu=Canuck_pinhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.