IMG_1380 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1387 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1386 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1385 (resized).jpeg
Taxi Restore 05.jpg
Taxi Restore 04.jpg
Taxi Restore 03.jpg
Taxi Restore 02.jpg
There are 3,746 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 75.
#3701 51 days ago

What paint have you guys used for the cabinet before decals? My preference is rustoleum 5 in 1 since I don’t have a gun but they only have 2 gloss yellows. I’m contemplating semi gloss black for the back and top if I can’t find a good enough match. I don’t think gloss will look right with the decals I have.

#3702 51 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

What paint have you guys used for the cabinet before decals? My preference is rustoleum 5 in 1 since I don’t have a gun but they only have 2 gloss yellows. I’m contemplating semi gloss black for the back and top if I can’t find a good enough match. I don’t think gloss will look right with the decals I have.

Curious to see the answers to this question too.
I hope to be painting mine this summer and I will be using a spray gun - first total restore.

#3703 51 days ago
Quoted from G35R6:

Curious to see the answers to this question too.
I hope to be painting mine this summer and I will be using a spray gun - first total restore.

Ppg can do a custom mix. You can probably just use tan primer for the sides and front.

#3704 51 days ago

When stripping down my cab the yellow that was behind the flipper button matched up exactly to Behr’s Blazing Bonfire. I have artwork coming that will hopefully match.

IMG_1364 (resized).jpegIMG_1364 (resized).jpegIMG_7743 (resized).jpegIMG_7743 (resized).jpeg
#3705 49 days ago

Picked this machine up last night. Can anybody direct me ask to where to buy some good insert decals? I'm not positive I'm keeping this game so I don't want to put too much money on it at first.

Thanks for any suggestions

20240602_181739 (resized).jpg20240602_181739 (resized).jpg20240603_064629 (resized).jpg20240603_064629 (resized).jpg20240603_064636 (resized).jpg20240603_064636 (resized).jpg

#3707 49 days ago

I've decided to keep this Fun Fun Fun title.

Ordered a 2.0 Hardtop
Nervous but hoping it's not much more difficult than shopping out a machine?

#3708 48 days ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Ordered a 2.0 Hardtop

I’ve only done one hardtop but it wasn’t too bad. I had a bunch of star rollovers which you don’t have here, but you have to deal with Mylar removal and leveling inserts which I didn’t. I’m not sure how ramp leveling will be with this one because you have flaps, mine was tough because they were metal.

#3709 48 days ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

You'll have to completely de-populate the playfield topside and sand it down (at least over the inserts). You can leave everything underside attached, so I'd say, more difficult than a shop, but less difficult than a swap. Use it as an excuse to get new ramps from starship.

It's worth it. Taxi is easily one of the better System 11s (I've come to like it even more than Whirlwind), and my hardtop has been performing flawlessly.

#3710 48 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I’ve only done one hardtop but it wasn’t too bad. I had a bunch of star rollovers which you don’t have here, but you have to deal with Mylar removal and leveling inserts which I didn’t. I’m not sure how ramp leveling will be with this one because you have flaps, mine was tough because they were metal.

Good points.
I've done inserts before and still have my blocks for leveling so that's good.
Thanks

#3711 48 days ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

You'll have to completely de-populate the playfield topside and sand it down (at least over the inserts). You can leave everything underside attached, so I'd say, more difficult than a shop, but less difficult than a swap. Use it as an excuse to get new ramps from starship.
It's worth it. Taxi is easily one of the better System 11s (I've come to like it even more than Whirlwind), and my hardtop has been performing flawlessly.

Very cool.
I ordered the left ramp for now.
Thanks

#3712 48 days ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Ordered a 2.0 Hardtop

Game looked nice on the cabinet. When you put on the hard top you will have a really nice game. It for some reason later on the hardtop will make it easier to sell.

#3713 47 days ago
Quoted from cp1610:

Game looked nice on the cabinet. When you put on the hard top you will have a really nice game. It for some reason later on the hardtop will make it easier to sell.

Looks ok but it's got checking and flaking on cabinet.
Picture looks better than in person.

#3714 47 days ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Looks ok but it's got checking and flaking on cabinet.
Picture looks better than in person.

Taxi cab is on deck after I finish up creature. I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m using classic arcades decals, two cabinet left sides. They look really good uninstalled

#3715 47 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Taxi cab is on deck after I finish up creature. I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m using classic arcades decals, two cabinet left sides. They look really good uninstalled

Same here. Halfway through a playfield swap now.
It'll be my first cabinet repair/paint and decal job and I'm kind of nervous.

#3716 47 days ago
Quoted from G35R6:

Same here. Halfway through a playfield swap now.
It'll be my first cabinet repair/paint and decal job and I'm kind of nervous.

What part is making you nervous? I’ve done 4 cabinets now, 3 stencils and 1 decal, it’s a lot of work but I’d much rather be doing decals.

#3717 47 days ago

My Classic Arcades decals had a slight issue but were replaced no problem.
Otherwise, I think they look pretty good too.
IMG_4707 (resized).jpegIMG_4707 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4710 (resized).jpegIMG_4710 (resized).jpeg

#3718 47 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

What part is making you nervous? I’ve done 4 cabinets now, 3 stencils and 1 decal, it’s a lot of work but I’d much rather be doing decals.

For me the mind.

Only because I've never done one.(Yet)

#3719 47 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I've never done a complete job before.
Do I have the right paint? Color? Mix ratio?
Did I tackle all the cabinet imperfections properly? Is this the correct primer to go with this paint?
First time using a spray gun.
Never applied decals this large. Is it straight? Some Taxi's I see don't have the green start button centered in the stoplight. That'll drive me nuts.
How in the hell did they cut those edges so straight?

I know all of these answers can be found on this site. I just don't have experience yet.

In my nightmares, I'll end up painting the cabinet five times and going through three sets of decals until it's right.

#3720 47 days ago
Quoted from G35R6:

I've never done a complete job before.
Do I have the right paint? Color? Mix ratio?
Did I tackle all the cabinet imperfections properly? Is this the correct primer to go with this paint?
First time using a spray gun.
Never applied decals this large. Is it straight? Some Taxi's I see don't have the green start button centered in the stoplight. That'll drive me nuts.
How in the hell did they cut those edges so straight?
I know all of these answers can be found on this site. I just don't have experience yet.
In my nightmares, I'll end up painting the cabinet five times and going through three sets of decals until it's right.

Cut a piece of the decal off and take it to ppg for a match. They will know primer to use as well. I acetone the original art off, it’s way easier than sanding. Then 80, 120 with a random orbital sander. Bondo for repairs other than the rails underneath which I use fiberglass resin for. Then skim coat with dolphin glaze. I use the rustoleum hi build rattle can primer with a guide coat, then sand that to 320. Guide coat is extremely helpful for getting level. You can also use bondo glazing putty for pinholes or small imperfections. Then paint and sand to 400, then decal. I use sprayway and tack cloth to get the surface as clean as possible before decal application. Watch HEPs videos for lining up and applying decals. He does it solo but my wife helps me. Block sand the edges with 120 and use a dowel with 120 for the holes. Don’t worry too much about small bubbles, they dissipate. Find someone local to silk screen the warning label. Take lots of pictures for rebuild! It also helps to think of it as a bunch of small projects rather than one large one. I also bag and label all the hardware for each component and then ultrasonic before re install.

#3721 43 days ago

After nearly 10 years, I'm back in the club and I'm working through issues. Can anyone help me with a quick GI question? The two lamps behind Lola/Marilyn's drop targets are out. I found a stray wire connected to the GI strand. Does this connect to the right lug on the lamp? Left lug? Does it matter?

Thanks!

PXL_20240609_135149615.RAW-01.COVER~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20240609_135149615.RAW-01.COVER~2 (resized).jpg
#3722 43 days ago

It looks like it came off the top of the left lug.

#3723 43 days ago

Pulling playfield out today and getting setup for top side removal.
Going Hardtop.
What a fun game!

#3724 43 days ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

It looks like it came off the top of the left lug.

Thank you, it's alive and working now.

1 week later
#3725 33 days ago

Joined the CLUB!!! Super happy got a sweet one with a pretty nice playfield- Quick question- I have seen a few posts about the TNUT and stud posts- I want to replace the Star posts on my game and discovered those nasty little loctite tnuts under there- Has anyone replaced the stud post? I saw a few topics listed in the thread but i could't clarify exactley what post to order. Also - has anyone replaced with a post and nut instead of Pain in the but tnuts? Thank you

#3726 33 days ago
Quoted from ktcoady12:

Joined the CLUB!!! Super happy got a sweet one with a pretty nice playfield- Quick question- I have seen a few posts about the TNUT and stud posts- I want to replace the Star posts on my game and discovered those nasty little loctite tnuts under there- Has anyone replaced the stud post? I saw a few topics listed in the thread but i could't clarify exactley what post to order. Also - has anyone replaced with a post and nut instead of Pain in the but tnuts? Thank you

Heat the loctite t-nut with a soldering iron to melt it. Get it pretty hot.

then they come off pretty easy.

#3727 33 days ago

Thank you I will give this a shot !

#3728 31 days ago

I finally have a fully working Taxi. Story that I should have documented.

Bought it back from the dead. Roached out playfield (had tons of play and it showed) and rotted out MPU due to alkaline damage.

This game had been in a family for decades but it broke decades ago and got put out in their shop.

Long story short I swapped in a new CPR playfield, CPR printed backglass and CPR plastics.

I ordered both ramps and spinout from Starship Fantasy.

Lots of magic eraser on the cabinet and it came back pretty good.

Biggest damage is right at the corner nearest the start button. Going to fill it and touch it up.

Here's a few pics and video of my first actual game after finishing. Mind you the camera makes it look much brighter than it is in real life.

This could benefit from GIOCD and LEDOCD for sure. When the GI flashes I tend to lose track of the ball.

OH yeah. Bought a MPU board from @dumbass, populated it and it's alive! Currently it's running in my Whirlwind as I robbed the MPU from WW to make Taxi work temporarily.

I still need to make minor adjustments on the PF but overall playing nicely.

Taxi Restore 01.jpgTaxi Restore 01.jpg

Taxi Restore 02.jpgTaxi Restore 02.jpg

Taxi Restore 03.jpgTaxi Restore 03.jpg

Taxi Restore 04.jpgTaxi Restore 04.jpg

Taxi Restore 05.jpgTaxi Restore 05.jpg

Dumbass MPU 01.jpgDumbass MPU 01.jpg

Dumbass MPU 02.jpgDumbass MPU 02.jpg

#3729 29 days ago

I believe locating the 5 ramp decals here in America is a dead end. I tried Planetary but they don’t sell them without the ramps. I’m in the beginning stages of a complete restore and my ramps are fine but could benefit from a good flame polishing and a couple decals are scratched up.
That has led me to trying to get them from PinballCenter.
I notice on their website that the complete ramp assembly includes the decals. If you look at the ramp, the decal has the word “Arrivals”. If you look at just the decal, it’s missing that word. I asked them to clarify if the individual decal has the word “Arrivals” on it or not. This was their exact response:

Hi
no sticker without Arrivals written
are was both Taxi on marekt with and without

So, what would you guys make of that?
Would you trust that the individual decals have the words on them or not?

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/ramps/4446/arrival-ramp-for-taxi

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/ramps/11000/ramp-decal-1-for-taxi?c=0

#3730 29 days ago
Quoted from G35R6:

I believe locating the 5 ramp decals here in America is a dead end. I tried Planetary but they don’t sell them without the ramps. I’m in the beginning stages of a complete restore and my ramps are fine but could benefit from a good flame polishing and a couple decals are scratched up.
That has led me to trying to get them from PinballCenter.
I notice on their website that the complete ramp assembly includes the decals. If you look at the ramp, the decal has the word “Arrivals”. If you look at just the decal, it’s missing that word. I asked them to clarify if the individual decal has the word “Arrivals” on it or not. This was their exact response:
Hi
no sticker without Arrivals written
are was both Taxi on marekt with and without
So, what would you guys make of that?
Would you trust that the individual decals have the words on them or not?
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/ramps/4446/arrival-ramp-for-taxi
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/ramps/11000/ramp-decal-1-for-taxi?c=0

Did you ask Larry at Starship Fantasy?

#3731 29 days ago
Quoted from BriPin:

No. But now I will. Thanks.

#3732 28 days ago
Quoted from BriPin:

Due to licensing, they can’t sell decals without the ramps.

#3733 28 days ago
Quoted from G35R6:

Due to licensing, they can’t sell decals without the ramps.

PM sent.

#3734 22 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Came out well.

IMG_1380 (resized).jpegIMG_1380 (resized).jpegIMG_1381 (resized).jpegIMG_1381 (resized).jpegIMG_1383 (resized).jpegIMG_1383 (resized).jpegIMG_1385 (resized).jpegIMG_1385 (resized).jpegIMG_1386 (resized).jpegIMG_1386 (resized).jpegIMG_1387 (resized).jpegIMG_1387 (resized).jpegIMG_1388 (resized).jpegIMG_1388 (resized).jpeg
#3735 22 days ago

I do love black powder coat on Taxi. Looks
Awesome

#3736 22 days ago

After almost two years it’s back up on its own legs…

IMG_1150 (resized).jpegIMG_1150 (resized).jpeg
#3737 22 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Came out well. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’m in the beginning stages of my Taxi restoration and yours just confirmed my decision to also go with the black powder coating.
Job well done.

Did you paint the cabinet black before adding the decals or just paint the edges black afterwards?

#3738 21 days ago
Quoted from G35R6:

I’m in the beginning stages of my Taxi restoration and yours just confirmed my decision to also go with the black powder coating.
Job well done.
Did you paint the cabinet black before adding the decals or just paint the edges black afterwards?

Thanks! I block sand the decals with 80 grit to cut them, then use a paint pen on the corners. You can use isopropyl on a q tip for touch up. I did paint the back and top of head, then silk screened the warning prior to decals. Guide coat before final cabinet sanding is key for me. Here are pictures fairly close to decal install:

IMG_1359 (resized).jpegIMG_1359 (resized).jpegIMG_1360 (resized).jpegIMG_1360 (resized).jpeg
#3739 16 days ago

Where to get silkscreened cabinet decals? I would rather avoid Rad-Cals due to the seller’s rep. Is there a place with decals with a yellow background and have silk screened art so that it feels raised for the art like the original cabinet?

1 week later
#3740 8 days ago
IMG_3130 (resized).jpegIMG_3130 (resized).jpegIMG_3131 (resized).jpegIMG_3131 (resized).jpeg
#3742 7 days ago

I have an issue where after a plunge and the eject under the spinout, the ball will sometimes sneak through the gate into the gordie saucer.

I can't really tell very well what's causing it, does anyone have experience with this issue?

#3743 7 days ago
Quoted from Scala:

I have an issue where after a plunge and the eject under the spinout, the ball will sometimes sneak through the gate into the gordie saucer.
I can't really tell very well what's causing it, does anyone have experience with this issue?

The gate is controlled by a small coil under the play field. The coil is active when Gorbie is flashing and opens the gate. At all other times a spring returns the gate to closed. So it could be the spring is weak/worn, the mech is loose or the wireform is bent.

Shawn

#3744 7 days ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

The gate is controlled by a small coil under the play field. The coil is active when Gorbie is flashing and opens the gate. At all other times a spring returns the gate to closed. So it could be the spring is weak/worn, the mech is loose or the wireform is bent.
Shawn

I believe the controlled gate is only open for a few seconds after you go through the gate just north of the Gorbie insert.

#3745 6 days ago
Quoted from BriPin:

I believe the controlled gate is only open for a few seconds after you go through the gate just north of the Gorbie insert.

Either way, works the same. And with the ball moving top speed off a flipper shot that is a pretty fast reaction time for the CPU.

Shawn

#3746 3 days ago

Getting a loud hum through the speakers on my Taxi (increases with volume and disappears at zero volume).

All mounting screws are present and secure, so next going to try changing the capacitors in the sound and power boards.

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to buy capacitor kits that work on Taxi sound and power boards?

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hartville, OH
$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

There are 3,746 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 75.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.