IMG_7129 (resized).jpg
IMG_7128 (resized).jpg
IMG_3178 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
There are 3,700 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 74.
#3651 63 days ago
Quoted from The_Great_Man:

How about if I do all my switch and wire soldering on the work table and then bring the switches to the pinball machine and connect everything with wago connectors....Or is that frowned upon in the community.

I have them and dont use them for that application.

Molex connectors pretty much always.

I know it seems like a daunting task to get all of the supplies, but its not.

Go to this site and browse the molex connectors for the 2 common sizes (.093 and .062)

Note that the pins come in 2 wire size options the bigger (awg 14 to 20) is the most useable and it will work in all cases.

Write down all of the supplies (and part numbers) you need and make sure you write down (or copy and paste to a notepad document) the part numbers.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=221

One you have the information you need, buy the suppies at newark electronics. They have the best prices over all.

Newark keeps track of you orders so you only really have to write them down once.
Just re-order as needed and add to your orders as needed.
Make an account and log in to let them save your stuff.

Insert your part number into the search box and you will see that they are WAY cheaper thsn the amazon or ebay offerings, and they ship super fast.

The amazon and ebay sellers mostly buy from newark if they are high quality.

https://www.newark.com/

#3652 63 days ago

I use a lot of 2 circuit .093 and 2 circuit .062.

I use 3 circuit .093 for flippers, but most coils are 2 wire .093.

For switches .062 2 circuit and in some cases 4 circuit

If you look around the game you can get a feel for what you need.

I use this crimper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMM4YUY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

It pretty much does everything.

I use a katapult wire stripper that supports awg 16 to 30

But Im using this one more and more:

https://www.amazon.com/Capri-20011-Automatic-Stripper-Cutter/dp/B01018CX46/ref=sr_1_12

#3653 63 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have them and dont use them for that application.
Molex connectors pretty much always.

Thanks for the great info. I have most of the supplies and I have tried to do everything with Molex but I have been told by a very reputable source that my crimping ability.....Now how can I put this....STINKS. Guess I need to keep trying.

#3654 63 days ago

Thanks for the great info. I have most of the supplies and I have tried to do everything with Molex but I have been told by a very reputable source that my crimping ability.....Now how can I put this....STINKS. Guess I need to keep trying.

There are gret videos on molex crimping.

I just played with a piece of wire and wasted 10 or so pins until I was satisfied with the result.

Buying pins 100 at a time gives you plenty to play with.

There are terrible pins out there that just break off, that I bought off amazon. They are likely Chinese cheap-o's.

I buy them from Newark now and they have been perfect.

#3655 63 days ago

I just played with a piece of wire and wasted 10 or so pins until I was satisfied with the result.

I am motivated. Going to place an order with GPE and figure out the crimping thing. Thanks.

#3656 63 days ago

I could be wrong, but i thought the owner of Great Plains Electronics retired and closed up his store about 2 years ago

#3657 63 days ago

I forgot to mention, you can get a lot of electronic parts from Big Daddy

#3658 63 days ago
Quoted from Trainmonger:

I could be wrong, but i thought the owner of Great Plains Electronics retired and closed up his store about 2 years ago

He has graciuosly left the site up as a reference for us to glean part numbers.

Thanks you so much!

Nothing to buy there, but TONS of info and part numbers.

Quoted from Trainmonger:

I forgot to mention, you can get a lot of electronic parts from Big Daddy

WAY to expensive for me, I buy a LOT of connectors.

Newark is a great place and they ship FAST!

#3659 62 days ago

Does anybody have a source for the 4 ramp decals and the other blue one on the left side other than pinballcenter?

#3660 62 days ago
Quoted from G35R6:

Does anybody have a source for the 4 ramp decals and the other blue one on the left side other than pinballcenter?

You could check with Star-Ship Fantasy they have the decals with the ramps. I don’t know if they would just sell the decals or not.

#3661 62 days ago

I love learning new things and taking a game to a show can teach one a lot! I have been doing everything recommended to get a better launch and have the flippers where one can consistently make both ramp shots. The left has been great since acquiring the game but the right has always been less than stellar. So at the Texas Pinball Festival in the midst of over 750 plays for the weekend, the right flipper finally gave up and just quit firing properly. It would barely move and with zero oompf. After ensuring it was not a mechanical problem I found the coil to be scorching. I quickly bought a backup and replaced it and then found no voltage at the coil. (Which should have been the FIRST thing I looked at. Turns out the fuse had blown. (I am a classic Bally guy and tend to forget that Taxi has separate fuses for each flipper. I pulled the fuse and saw not only that it was blown but also quite corroded. I guess it was that way when I bought the game and never thought to change it. Cleaned up the fuse holder and installed new and now the flipper is quite snappy. Makes the ramp shot everytime. And the old flipper coil is fine. I now have a spare. Coil power passes through the fuses and if they are less than clean and tight you are dropping voltage and making problems. Lesson learned.

#3662 62 days ago

Pop Bumper Help:
I do not like the boring look of my Pop Bumpers. I have the original tops with some sort of 5 led light. The rest of my game is pretty bright and looks good. Before I start playing around with different lights - Has anyone figured out the perfect light setup for the pop bumpers on Taxi? Thanks.

IMG_7122 (resized).jpgIMG_7122 (resized).jpg
#3664 61 days ago

Pop Bumper Help:
I do not like the boring look of my Pop Bumpers. I have the original tops with some sort of 5 led light. The rest of my game is pretty bright and looks good. Before I start playing around with different lights - Has anyone figured out the perfect light setup for the pop bumpers on Taxi? Thanks. [quoted image]

I thought these were too much on my BK2K with its warm white lighting I have, but I think they’d look great on a Taxi that had cool white GI.
Britecap evo. Available on PBL. As pictured are red led with red cap

IMG_0220 (resized).jpegIMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
#3665 61 days ago

I did them in cool white in the recent one here. I like them. I use Zitt clear base and body too. Lights it up.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-playfield-swap-and-cabinet-restore-#post-7781793

IMG_1131 (resized).jpegIMG_1131 (resized).jpeg
#3666 61 days ago

He is my Taxi and used the comet pop rings

IMG_5287 (resized).jpegIMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
#3667 61 days ago

This is my taxi in blue using Comet Pinball’s pop rings.

IMG_3178 (resized).jpegIMG_3178 (resized).jpeg
#3668 61 days ago
Quoted from firefighter:

He is my Taxi and used the comet pop rings
[quoted image]

Quoted from BriPin:

This is my taxi in blue using Comet Pinball’s pop rings.
[quoted image]

I prefer these.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/pop-bumper-discs

The others look too much like some kind of UFO.

But, if you like them.....

Translucent bodies I think are better than clear. They diffuse the light better and hide the wires.

#3669 61 days ago

Translucent bodies I think are better than clear. They diffuse the light better and hide the wires.

Hmmm....So I have the Red opaque pop bumper caps with the W on them for my High Speed with those Comet lights and I love them. I have thought about putting the same caps and lights on my Taxi. Maybe I will get opaque red, yellow and green caps for my Taxi with those Comet lights. I think I have seen pictures of someone who has done the 3 color pop bumper caps. Might not look bad because I have the C (red) A (yellow) and B (green) lit with different colors. Getting there.

#3670 60 days ago

I have decided to go with 3 red opaque bumper caps with the 7 led Comet lights underneath. I will let everyone know how that works out. As for my Matchbox mod - I ended up using 4 different taxi cars...3 on the ramps in the playfield and 1 on the top of the cabinet. I like it but most important - my daughter likes it.

IMG_7128 (resized).jpgIMG_7128 (resized).jpgIMG_7129 (resized).jpgIMG_7129 (resized).jpg
#3671 57 days ago

I have decided to go with 3 red opaque bumper caps with the 7 led Comet lights underneath. I will let everyone know how that works out. As for my Matchbox mod - I ended up using 4 different taxi cars...3 on the ramps in the playfield and 1 on the top of the cabinet. I like it but most important - my daughter likes it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

A little late to reply but for what it's worth I like the afterburner leds for the pop bumpers. They aren't overly bright and they also make the base/shaft of the pop bumper glow in cool white which adds more light to the playfield and adds dimension to the pop bumpers. They are brighter than standard leds but not so bright that you need sunglasses to play haha. I'm not a big fan of the ultra bright UFO look either. I decided to go red, green, yellow. For the bottom green pop I used a standard led with a green lens because the green afterburner was too bright imo. The cool whit GI under the drop target plastic illuminates the pop bumper base perfectly so it all looks consistent.

This version is discontinued but I'm pretty sure they still make them.

https://cointaker.com/products/discontinued-afterburner-1pop-bumper-leds

SmartSelect_20240330_180440_Adblock Browser (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20240330_180440_Adblock Browser (resized).jpg
#3672 57 days ago

Pop Bumper Update:

So here is where I am at with the pop bumpers. I am using the Pinball Life BriteCaps - they really light up the underside of the pop bumpers. I am also using 2 - opaque pop bumper caps and 1 - translucent pop bumper cap (the space ship). I could be persuaded to keep trying but these look pretty good to me. I am showing the before and after and you can really see how much brighter the area is under the pop bumpers.

IMG_7123 (resized).jpgIMG_7123 (resized).jpgIMG_7140 (resized).jpgIMG_7140 (resized).jpg
#3673 57 days ago

Pop Bumper Update:
So here is where I am at with the pop bumpers. I am using the Pinball Life BriteCaps - they really light up the underside of the pop bumpers. I am also using 2 - opaque pop bumper caps and 1 - translucent pop bumper cap (the space ship). I could be persuaded to keep trying but these look pretty good to me. I am showing the before and after and you can really see how much brighter the area is under the pop bumpers.

Those really lights up the upper playfield and looks nice! The last picture I posted before, the camera flash was on. This is closer to what it looks like without the Flash on. Keep in mind phone camera does not capture LEDs very well and this is all a matter of personal preference.

20240331_010810 (resized).jpg20240331_010810 (resized).jpg
#3674 57 days ago

So the downside to having a bright playfield around the pop bumpers with the new lights is it shows off all the defects in my playfield around the pop bumpers. Bright lights and defects or normal lights and no defects.

#3675 57 days ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

This is closer to what it looks like without the Flash on. Keep in mind phone camera does not capture LEDs very well and this is all a matter of personal preference. [quoted image]

Maybe I will try those afterburners with the opaque caps. They are bright but probably will not shine as much light on my playfield defects.

#3676 57 days ago

I need a Taxi eventually. I like the 5 characters and concept of picking them up. Any of you guys with a Lola regret not holding out for a Marilyn?

#3677 57 days ago

Besides the pop bumper lights I did the yellow and black checker squares on the back panel which I think brightens up the back a little bit

IMG_5286 (resized).jpegIMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
#3678 56 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I need a Taxi eventually. I like the 5 characters and concept of picking them up. Any of you guys with a Lola regret not holding out for a Marilyn?

No.

#3679 56 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

nope, i even restored my lola to a lola

#3680 56 days ago
Quoted from thedefog:

We absolutely need Pinsound for these games.

I would IMMEDITELY change Lola's voice to Harvey Fierstein.

If that happens, I will sell my Marilyn and build a Lola.

#3681 55 days ago

Is there a source for a new correct coin door?

#3682 55 days ago
Quoted from G35R6:

Is there a source for a new correct coin door?

Rebuild and refurbish yours !

Its not too hard to do.

#3683 55 days ago

Rebuild and refurbish yours !
Its not too hard to do.

That’s a last resort. It looks like mine took a couple of kicks.

1 week later
#3684 43 days ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Based on Lola from the Kink’s classic track. Famous in its own way. Paranoia is the destroyer.

1 week later
#3685 30 days ago

Any good suggestions on what to check if the plunger only manages to give 50k with maximum plunge? Unmushroomed the cap, changed the rubber and moved the plunger so it hits the ball straight in the middle.

#3686 30 days ago

Did you try changing the springs, the red ones are heavy duty

#3687 30 days ago
Quoted from LePopHumper:

Any good suggestions on what to check if the plunger only manages to give 50k with maximum plunge? Unmushroomed the cap, changed the rubber and moved the plunger so it hits the ball straight in the middle.

Strong silver or red shooter spring.

Spend an hour lining EVERYTHING up perfectly (bending the wire ends etc).

Replace the spin-out ramp if it has cracks or repairs.

I get 15 to 20 spins on a full plunge.

It took some repairs and adjustments to acheive this.

#3688 27 days ago

Strong silver or red shooter spring.
Spend an hour lining EVERYTHING up perfectly (bending the wire ends etc).
Replace the spin-out ramp if it has cracks or repairs.

I agree with this. I took my spin-out ramp apart - not hard to do - and it had some cracks in the ramp. A little super glue, put it back together and the ramp now works just fine.

#3689 27 days ago

Background music issue:

Just played my game and on the first ball there as no background music playing. All the call outs worked but no music. Then on the second ball and all subsequent balls - the background music came on. I assume this is a connector that is a little off and I am sure I could do the research and find out which connector(s) it is - But I am tired and lazy tonight so I am hoping someone can tell me which connector(s) I should try to reseat.

#3690 27 days ago

Background music issue:
Just played my game and on the first ball there as no background music playing. All the call outs worked but no music. Then on the second ball and all subsequent balls - the background music came on. I assume this is a connector that is a little off and I am sure I could do the research and find out which connector(s) it is - But I am tired and lazy tonight so I am hoping someone can tell me which connector(s) I should try to reseat.

My taxi I used to have did this if I hit the start button very quickly after turning on power. Make sure you give the soundboard adequate time to boot (indicated by the “bong” or test report noise)

#3691 27 days ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Make sure you give the soundboard adequate time to boot (indicated by the “bong” or test report noise)

Thanks. As another possible issue. I just did a Display Test on the machine and while the Display Test was going on - The background music was playing. Do not remember that ever happening before.

#3692 27 days ago

Thanks. As another possible issue. I just did a Display Test on the machine and while the Display Test was going on - The background music was playing. Do not remember that ever happening before.

That definitely should not be happening. Take some photos of the area including and above/below the battery holder

#3693 27 days ago

Background music issue:

This is exactly what JMCKUNE says it is. You're not waiting long enough for the sound board to boot when turning on the machine before starting a game. Williams machines, after system 9, require a little extra time for the game(s) to boot. (My Comet -sys9- boots immediately, my Taxi & Diner -sys11- both take a few seconds to boot). As mentioned above, after turning on the machine wait a few seconds for the loud "BONG" sound before starting a new game and your sound will be fine.

#3694 21 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Was there a yellow topper ever made? Mine does not appear to have been painted and I’m having trouble believing it “yellowed” to this color.
[quoted image]

Did we ever get a definitive answer to this question?

#3695 21 days ago

Never mind. Re-reading everything - Apparently they were all white and just faded to a perfect yellow. As an engineer I am just amazed that the topper faded to such a consistent color.

#3696 18 days ago

So apparently I have my flippers adjusted too "high." From reading some comments, the flippers should be placed so that a toothpick in the playfield hole is between the flipper paddle and the rubber. Am I right on how the flippers should be set and does the game play better or worse with the flippers adjusted properly as opposed to how I have them set.

IMG_7289 (resized).jpgIMG_7289 (resized).jpg
#3697 18 days ago

So apparently I have my flippers adjusted too "high." From reading some comments, the flippers should be placed so that a toothpick in the playfield hole is between the flipper paddle and the rubber. Am I right on how the flippers should be set and does the game play better or worse with the flippers adjusted properly as opposed to how I have them set.
[quoted image]

If they are set right its easier to make the drac and hit the right pinbot drops.

Its usually good to set the flippers (at least initially) as they were from the factory unless you are solving a problem.

#3698 18 days ago

[quoted image]

Yours look good, they should be aligned with the inlane guides. Flaccid flippers are for chumps who are worried they can't get it up for pinbot.

#3699 17 days ago

So I lowered my flippers to where I believe they were designed to be and the game seems to play a little easier. Not sure why but some of the shots (Dracula, left ramp) just seem a little easier.
Also showing a picture of how my pop bumpers ended up. Not bad I think - I tried to get the red yellow and green bumpers but could not find all the colors in opaque.

IMG_7294 (resized).jpgIMG_7294 (resized).jpgIMG_7295 (resized).jpgIMG_7295 (resized).jpg
#3700 16 days ago

So I lowered my flippers to where I believe they were designed to be and the game seems to play a little easier. Not sure why but some of the shots (Dracula, left ramp) just seem a little easier.
Also showing a picture of how my pop bumpers ended up. Not bad I think - I tried to get the red yellow and green bumpers but could not find all the colors in opaque.

The flippers look correct now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marysville, IN
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mccordsville, IN
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Lakeport, CA
$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dewitt, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,700 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 74.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/74 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.