IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 74.
#301 9 years ago

Does anyone know why one flasher would be operating great and another not so much? The Pinbot flasher is very strong, the others are kinda weak. It's not a bulb issue.

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Welp, you guys inspired me to put some super bright LEDs in the GI!!!. I would like to thank Future PinHead for offering help in fixing my G.I. issues (turned out to be the relay switch underneath!!)

taxi 1.jpg 130 KB

taxi 2.jpg 118 KB

Not a problem, I am glad you got it figured out! Let me know if I can help you in the future.

#303 9 years ago

Just bought mine! It is in decent shape not perfect but definitely happy to have it. I have an issue with the right side GI since I got it home. looking for ideas on a bad connector or header that would kill the right side only.

#304 9 years ago

Well I looked over the board you all had been talking about. I found the w2 resistor to be black burnt right up. Any idea on where to look for something to cause that. the joins on the pins and relay do not look as bad as I would have thought.

#305 9 years ago

Is the artwork on the cab silkscreened directly onto the wood, it sure appears to be........?

I want to get yellow plastic leg protectors to go behind the cab legs but noticed these are NOT recommended for cab graphics that are actually decals, I guess they can get wrinkled.

Thanks!

#306 9 years ago

Original cabs are screened, they do make new decals tho..

#307 9 years ago

Thanks Kneissl, that's what I needed to know. -Nate

#308 9 years ago

How many of you have had the plunger spinout fight. Mine will reach no higher the 75 on a perfect release. has the red spring, i am suspecting the cracked ramp and alignment now.

#309 9 years ago
Quoted from mainelycoasters:

How many of you have had the plunger spinout fight. Mine will reach no higher the 75 on a perfect release. has the red spring, i am suspecting the cracked ramp and alignment now.

I get about 1 extra rotation on the new ramps. It's worth it to me. It's simply an all-around harder shot now.
-mof

#310 9 years ago

Ok, plunger springs come in different tensions - I should definitely buy the red spring for Taxi when I rebuild the plunger correct??

Thanks,

Nate

#311 9 years ago

Yes red spring is the only one to use.

#312 9 years ago

Thanks mainelycoasters.

Another q. I just got all the rust off of the legs, and rubbed a light coat of WD40 over them top to keep the rust from re-occuring. Can you spray the legs with a light polyuerathane (sp???) to achieve the same thing or waxing them or something?

-Nate

#313 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I get about 1 extra rotation on the new ramps. It's worth it to me. It's simply an all-around harder shot now.
-mof

I found that the leveling of my Taxi can play a big part in getting an extra rotation or not.

#314 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Thanks mainelycoasters.
Another q. I just got all the rust off of the legs, and rubbed a light coat of WD40 over them top to keep the rust from re-occuring. Can you spray the legs with a light polyuerathane (sp???) to achieve the same thing or waxing them or something?
-Nate

I usually coat just about every exposed metal part with a light polyurethane (Krylon rattle can) for protection after cleaning...legs, lockdown receivers, leg bolt heads (and any other bolt head for that matter), backbox hinges, etc.

I stick the bolts down into a cardboard box to hold them upright and spray away.

-scott

#315 9 years ago

Thanks Dr. Scott. Will go the Krylon poly route. -Nate

#316 9 years ago

5" white rubber ring (23-6310) Pinball Life doesn't seem to carry this, can you use a 4.5" instead??

-Nate

#317 9 years ago

Not sure about 4.5" but I found the 5" at Marco

#318 9 years ago

Have a friend who has a CPR Taxi playfield he would sell to me (full price). Been debating whether or not to buy it. Mine current one isn't too bad (I've seen MUCH worse), but definitely isn't pristine. Anyone here pulled the trigger and have thoughts? The reasons I haven't purchased yet is:
1. My playfield works and would be primarily for cosmetic reasons
2. While Taxi is one of my most fav pins, the playfield artwork isn't gorgeous like a TOTAN or something. It's mostly gray!

Thoughts?

#319 9 years ago

There's nothing like a new glassy playfield... it's not a cheap upgrade, but I did it.

#320 9 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Have a friend who has a CPR Taxi playfield he would sell to me (full price). Been debating whether or not to buy it. Mine current one isn't too bad (I've seen MUCH worse), but definitely isn't pristine. Anyone here pulled the trigger and have thoughts? The reasons I haven't purchased yet is:
2. While Taxi is one of my most fav pins, the playfield artwork isn't gorgeous like a TOTAN or something. It's mostly gray!
Thoughts?

Mine's a similar situation. I had to touch up the pops and replace the pop ring graphics, a few insert graphics. Plays fast and well and still looks great with the lights low, so it just doesn't seem worth it to me to spend that kind of coin on this game. The way I look at it, if the game isn't getting fully restored, then you have a pristine playfield with "ok" parts and cabinet that are not new. I would probably consider it if the playfield was blown out, but in this state, I would rather play the game as it is, and save my money towards something else. And, like you said, it's not like Taxi's cartoony graphics are an example of some amazing art. there are many other titles more worthy of a minty playfield exchange.

#321 9 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Thoughts?

I went with removing all Mylar and got a playfield protector. It gives the playfield a nice gloss, better play, but doesn't cost as much

#322 9 years ago

Thanks Leesparts I'll check Marco.........

3 weeks later
#323 9 years ago

Is this the correct switch for the Kickers? I noticed that there is also a "score" switch - can't find any reference to the switch part # in the manual....

Question #2, after putting all the "sockets" back into their respective locations on the backbox, I see that I am MISSING a location - namely, J9 on the Aux Power Board???? Now, I do have new PinScore displays so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it? I positively am missing this connector!!Could someone post a picture of that area and where the wires are coming from for that connector if I should have it.....

Lastly, I need to replace almost all of the sockets for the bulbs behind the backglass, is this the right socket (for 44/47 bulbs.....)?

Thanks!

Nate

KickerCap.JPGKickerCap.JPG Capture.JPGCapture.JPG socketcapture.JPGsocketcapture.JPG
#324 9 years ago

Double-post - there's no delete?

#325 9 years ago

Yo! I just joined the Taxi club!!

I always admired this game, but since having one in my basement the appreciation has gone to a whole new level!

I've got the machine nicely adjusted, however I'm getting some serious flipper hop on the right flipper. I've tried pushing the wire up and tightening it, moving the flipper assembly plate, even bending the wire guide further up - I even tried Superbands - but nothing seems to eliminate the problem. It looks like the guide hole in the playfield may have been drilled too low from the factory - is that possible?

4 weeks later
#326 9 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I've got the machine nicely adjusted, however I'm getting some serious flipper hop on the right flipper. I've tried pushing the wire up and tightening it, moving the flipper assembly plate, even bending the wire guide further up

Hey..I have a similar issue (and I also have a good buddy named Ryan Thomas ). I was able to improve it a fair bit better by doing what you listed and by adjusting the flipper angle up just a bit more than normal. The hop really made it tough to shoot the ramp without cradling first.

Any other suggestions from the club?

#327 9 years ago

I had the same issue on both flippers. If I remember correctly, bending the ball guides (while removed from the playfield) a little did the trick.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I didn't put the lower screw back in place. Not by choice but simply because this screw was broken and I still haven't found a replacement one. The "wire loop" in which the screw goes is a bit off center though, so perhaps the hops would come back if I was to put a screw back in there...?

#328 9 years ago

Double post, sorry.

3 weeks later
#329 9 years ago

Hi to all you TAXI lovers. I just got into the hobby last DEC. right from the start I wanted a TAXI could never find one around this area (New England) well two weeks ago found a TAXI that had been somewhat restored (not the CAB) anyway I get it home and I am just loving the toughness of this pin. This pin is not for the faint of heart!! It is not forgiving at all there are no saved balls and there are plenty of drains if you miss the shot the ball is out of control but when you are rolling and hitting the shots I do not think there is a pin like it. Your adrenaline is pumping it is a great feeling to hit a jackpot any kind of one. Its invigorating!!!! Well enough of the good stuff there is one problem I am having and it is with the Santa kick out which is a huge part of the game. The ball seems to drain way too much, I would say around 75% of the time which to me is way too much. Many times I have 4 passengers p/u and only need Santa to start Jackpot but boom right down the middle. I have tried rocking the pin while it is in the hole to move the ball but my adrenaline is pumping and you guessed it TILT!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!! There must be something I can do to modify the kick out. can someone help me out. Thanks, Henry

#330 9 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

Hi to all you TAXI lovers. I just got into the hobby last DEC. right from the start I wanted a TAXI could never find one around this area (New England) well two weeks ago found a TAXI that had been somewhat restored (not the CAB) anyway I get it home and I am just loving the toughness of this pin. This pin is not for the faint of heart!! It is not forgiving at all there are no saved balls and there are plenty of drains if you miss the shot the ball is out of control but when you are rolling and hitting the shots I do not think there is a pin like it. Your adrenaline is pumping it is a great feeling to hit a jackpot any kind of one. Its invigorating!!!! Well enough of the good stuff there is one problem I am having and it is with the Santa kick out which is a huge part of the game. The ball seems to drain way too much, I would say around 75% of the time which to me is way too much. Many times I have 4 passengers p/u and only need Santa to start Jackpot but boom right down the middle. I have tried rocking the pin while it is in the hole to move the ball but my adrenaline is pumping and you guessed it TILT!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!! There must be something I can do to modify the kick out. can someone help me out. Thanks, Henry

Why is the ball draining 75% of the time exactly?
-mof

#331 9 years ago

It just kicks out right down between the flippers fast and furious there is nothing I can do except for maybe pounding on the side of the cab to move the ball but then it TILTS!

#332 9 years ago

Welcome to the hobby henhel!
Taxi is 1 of my favorites and is a great 1st pin to own.
Try repositioning the kicker arm by raising the playfield(remove the balls 1st) and loosen the 3 screws or slightly bend the arm a little.

#333 9 years ago

OK I will try anything. Someone said to me maybe that's just the way it is suppose to be. Well after playing I would say 100-150 games in a week I can tell you that something is wrong. I mean we play pinball to get the jackpot and score the points with this particular pin you have to hit the Santa hole a lot to advance in the game and if it drains 75% of the time like what is the point??? Why play if you can never get a chance for Jackpot.

#334 9 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

It just kicks out right down between the flippers fast and furious there is nothing I can do except for maybe pounding on the side of the cab to move the ball but then it TILTS!

Is the issue direction of ball travel or strength and direction?

If it's strength, perhaps someone put an overly powerful coil in there? You can compare it to the coil in the kicker on the right side.

if it's strength AND direction, as mentioned, try repositioning the kicker arm. If you think the other kicker is working properly, then compare and contrast everything you can see in each system, and try to determine why one is behaving differently...

alignment?
coil?
any other different parts?

(note: I'm not a Taxi expert, and I don't have the manual open in front of me, where I'm comparing parts, I just think it's 95+% likely that these two systems are identical.)

-mof

#335 9 years ago

It is direction of the ball travel. If you watch the tutorial on PAPA he hits the hole 5 times and it releases to the rubber behind the Marilyn drop targets. My pin releases straight down to the flippers. So it is definitely ball direction.

#336 9 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

It is direction of the ball travel. If you watch the tutorial on PAPA he hits the hole 5 times and it releases to the rubber behind the Marilyn drop targets. My pin releases straight down to the flippers. So it is definitely ball direction.

Great, then treat it just like golf or baseball. Strike the ball .1 millimeters more to the left or right, and the ball travel will adjust. Go ahead and power off the game, raise the playfield, and determine how to make an adjustment that will move that arm a tiny bit. Also check the end of the arm, and make sure you like how that looks. I sometimes clean up the end of the arms with a Dremel if they've flattened out from 30 years of use and have an irregular shape.

Experiment.

-mof

#337 9 years ago

I will give it a try. Thanks.

#338 9 years ago

one last thing. You say make an adjustment to move the arm. Just how and with what tool would be best to use?

#339 9 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

one last thing. You say make an adjustment to move the arm. Just how and with what tool would be best to use?

You have many options. Compare and contrast the two kickers, see if you can determine what's different:

* range of motion of the arm
* resting position of the arm
* extended position of the arm
* how centered is the arm in the plastic groove (angle of the arm -- is it straight?)
* adjusting the location of the bracket assembly (this is dependent on the size of the holes in the bracket. If they are tight around the screws that hold it to the playfield, then that limits your range of rotation/tweaking of the assembly)
* tip of the arm

You may want a 1/4" nut driver to loosen the screws in the bracket. You may want a dremel or file to adjust the tip. You may want pliers to bend the arm a hair left or right.

Bear in mind in order to get the system to fire the ball NOT SDTM, we are talking about the tiniest of adjustments. We need it to strike the ball in a way that the angle of the ball only adjusts 10' or less to one side such that you get the results you want.

-mof

#340 9 years ago

All set!!!!!!!!! adjusted the head of the kick out and it now kicks out towards the rubber band behind the Marilyn drop targets. Thanks for everything guys. The pin will be so much more fun for me and my family and that's what is all about. I am now a happy TAXI owner.

#341 9 years ago
Quoted from henhel:

All set!!!!!!!!! adjusted the head of the kick out and it now kicks out towards the rubber band behind the Marilyn drop targets. Thanks for everything guys. The pin will be so much more fun for me and my family and that's what is all about. I am now a happy TAXI owner.

Good job
-mof

#342 9 years ago

I'm not sure where this plastic belongs. I picked up a repro plastic set but this one was not on my game before I tore it down. Can anyone post a pic of where it goes?

taxi.jpgtaxi.jpg
#343 9 years ago

On to of the left ramp.
1417301465842.jpg1417301465842.jpg

#344 9 years ago

Does anyone have a scan of the departure ramp decal that sits under the catapult wire ramp?
For some reason the new repro ramps don't include it.

#345 9 years ago

I have a problem with the ball not being kicked out to the plunger. It keeps try to kick out but it seems like the arm kicking it out is not extending enough to do the job. This does not happen every time but enough to be a pain, because I end up tilting to get the ball up to the lane. The person that sold me this pin (I have had it 13 days) did come by and worked on it for me and it seemed to OK but it started up again. Has anybody had this happen to them???? Let me know. Thanks

#346 9 years ago

My Taxi has been in the dark for a few weeks now. I will have some days off at the end of the month and will take some time to do some connectors fixing.

I had already fixed J9 once by changing the old female connector with a new one with trifurcon. It lasted a few months but it burnt again (each time, it was the third pin from the left that burnt). As you can see in the 1st picture, the male connector pin came off. So now I must change the male connector as well.

The thing is:

- J7 connector has two pins soldered directly to the connector
- J6 has all its pins soldered directly (see 2nd picture)

I bought the pin that way. With limited knowledge and skills in electronics and soldering, I chose to let everything as it was since everything worked fine. This time however, to fix J9, I will have to remove the board and thus have to desolder/cut the wires of J7 and J6 connectors.

I should be able to handle J7 by changing both male and female connectors with trifurcon. However, J6 is one of those "looped" connectors and for this one, I don't know what is preferable to do. I have already made inquiries and here are the solutions I can consider:

1) The "crimping" solution: http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/ . However, this solution seems a bit delicate to make and 'm not sure I will manage to do it properly.

2) Going back to the factory install, with a classic IDC connector (in which case I'll have to buy a punch tool)

3) Cutting the wires to remove the board then joining them together again with a terminal block strip. That would be the cheapest and simplest solution, but I feel it's not going to be the most popular one

What do you think?

Also, still on the Interconnect Board, some cement resistors are a bit "friable". Should I worry about it? If so, perhaps I will consider buying a brand new board from Great Lakes Modular to really start fresh.

(sorry for the long post and for the possible approximate terms I might have used)

Picture 1.JPGPicture 1.JPG Picture 2.JPGPicture 2.JPG
#347 9 years ago
Quoted from Sk0r:

- J6 has all its pins soldered directly (see 2nd picture)

I am in a similar situation with my J6, and have left it that way out of laziness, but i'm anxiously awaiting responses to your question because i'm tired of half the GI being out.

#348 9 years ago

I just joined the club, got a players Taxi, Marilyn playfield, Lola translite. Best of both worlds, I guess.

Really happy to have it, I've been on the hunt for one (in my price range) since I've gotten into the hobby.

#349 9 years ago

Anyone have any extra parts for Taxi? I broke a post - the one that supports the Spin Out ramp, one of the hexagonal ones with a threaded base - it can be in rough shape - just snapped mine off. "Taxi Restore - yep another one" thread has a pic of it.

Thanks.

#350 9 years ago

Working through my first Taxi cleanup... almost complete. Is there supposed to be a plastic over this crescent shaped area? Looks like some pre-drilled dimples there. Wonder if anyone has fabricated one for this, if so I'd be interested to buy one. I'm also looking for an Arrivals decal but have not seen them available without buying the entire ramp.

I'm down to just a few items - upgrade the flipper springs, clean out a drop target and I'll be playing Taxi again.

taxi-567.jpgtaxi-567.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 22.50
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 74.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.