IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 74.
#2651 2 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Do you tighten them cold or after a little warming up?
(Also... does it mess up the mylar??)

I heated mine and then tapped it down flush. In a weeks time it popped up again. Last week I heated it again and tapped it down flush. But this time I put some crazy glue on the inside of the inset. The I sprayed some activator on the crazy glue to fast cure it. So far the insert has stayed in place. I love this crazy glue and activator combination. I used it on the crown molding scarf joints when I remolded my kitchen this past March.

#2652 2 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Just gonna have to count them. I usually buy 2 25 packs of 2SMD from comet for the GI, and then manually make a list of color matched non ghosting 1smd for inserts. Flashers I usually leave as incandescent unless a lot are burned out in which case I’ll switch those out. It’s tedious to count but worth it.
For the Taxi I had, I went with cool white for the GI, cool white behind all yellows, warm white for the characters, cool white for the 1 or 2 other white inserts there are and then the other ones are obvious. It looked pretty good to me
[quoted image][quoted image]

While I was counting the bulbs under the playfield,I replaced a bunch of the banonet bulbs with brand new bulbs. The playfield looked much better,when all of the riders in the center of the playfield were lit. But still dark when they're not lit. I think I'm gonna ad some spotlights over the left and right slings

#2653 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I heated mine and then tapped it down flush. In a weeks time it popped up again. Last week I heated it again and tapped it down flush. But this time I put some crazy glue on the inside of the inset. The I sprayed some activator on the crazy glue to fast cure it. So far the insert has stayed in place. I love this crazy glue and activator combination. I used it on the crown molding scarf joints when I remolded my kitchen this past March.

Factory insert glue is a type of non drying mastic. Inserts move all over the place.

Epoxy on the bottom edge of the inserts is preferred as its more shock resistant, and fixes inserts in place.

A little plastic primer helps epoxy to bond.

Crazy glue works but can crack off and loosen.

It also doesnt bond as well as epoxy with primer on oily plastics like inserts.

But it does work for awhile.

#2654 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

While I was counting the bulbs under the playfield,I replaced a bunch of the banonet bulbs with brand new bulbs. The playfield looked much better,when all of the riders in the center of the playfield were lit. But still dark when they're not lit. I think I'm gonna ad some spotlights over the left and right slings
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"09782178d6d2479e40b3ea5246fbb8b64ecdff3e-1636423592-1800"};
//]]>

Another thing to mention is (disregard if you already had) to clean the bottom side of the inserts with Q tips and a clear of your choice. They can get pretty nasty over the years and block light.

#2655 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Factory insert glue is a type of non drying mastic. Inserts move all over the place.
Epoxy on the bottom edge of the inserts is preferred as its more shock resistant, and fixes inserts in place.
A little plastic primer helps epoxy to bond.
Crazy glue works but can crack off and loosen.
It also doesnt bond as well as epoxy with primer on oily plastics like inserts.
But it does work for awhile.

Thanks I'll have to pick some up. What brand do you recommend. I have JB weld,but it's black and it would probably be visible after it dries. I might have some of the stuff I use to use to build golf clubs. It definitely can handle a good amount of shock,and it dries clear.
Now would be a good time to use it while the crazy glue is still holding.

#2656 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Thanks I'll have to pick some up. What brand do you recommend. I have JB weld,but it's black and it would probably be visible after it dries. I might have some of the stuff I use to use to build golf clubs. It definitely can handle a good amount of shock,and it dries clear.
Now would be a good time to use it while the crazy glue is still holding.

JB weld clear 5 min epoxy for plastics is pretty good.

Just clean the surface with naptha, you should be ok.

#2657 2 years ago

JB weld clear 5 min epoxy for plastics is pretty good.
Just clean the surface with naptha, you should be ok.

Thanks for the help !

#2658 2 years ago

There are two flashers near the Spinout.... one in the northeast corner, and one due southwest of the middle of the Spinout hole.

I assume the southwest one is the 'Spinout Flasher', since nothing happens in test mode for Spinout Flasher, and I believe mine is dead.
The northeast one, though, I replaced with a flasher that I know works, but it did not flash in any test nor have I seen it flash in gameplay.

Can anybody help identify that flasher in the very back right of the playfield and when it is supposed to flash?

edit: well the flasher/solenoid diagram in the manual pretty clearly calls the upper right one the Spinout flasher (8C) and there is no label for the southwest one. It is above the playfield where I put the red arrow. In several youtube gameplay videos I've watched, the southwest one flashes as ball spins around Spinout. I still have not seen the northeast (8C) flasher flash anywhere. Side note, JOYRIDE flasher is also mislabled in the manual right? Manual points to the JOYRIDE insert (16), but the flasher is actually in the upper left corner of the PF. Right?
Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.11.26 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.11.26 PM (resized).png

#2659 2 years ago
Quoted from flipkidflip:

There are two flashers near the Spinout.... one in the northeast corner, and one due southwest of the middle of the Spinout hole.
I assume the southwest one is the 'Spinout Flasher', since nothing happens in test mode for Spinout Flasher, and I believe mine is dead.
The northeast one, though, I replaced with a flasher that I know works, but it did not flash in any test nor have I seen it flash in gameplay.
Can anybody help identify that flasher in the very back right of the playfield and when it is supposed to flash?
edit: well the flasher/solenoid diagram in the manual pretty clearly calls the upper right one the Spinout flasher (8C) and there is no label for the southwest one. It is above the playfield where I put the red arrow. In several youtube gameplay videos I've watched, the southwest one flashes as ball spins around Spinout. I still have not seen the northeast (8C) flasher flash anywhere. Side note, JOYRIDE flasher is also mislabled in the manual right? Manual points to the JOYRIDE insert (16), but the flasher is actually in the upper left corner of the PF. Right?
[quoted image]

Having just finished this, I can tell you for certain that the spinout flasher you're asking about (the 906 in my case) is in fact the spinout flasher shown on the display when it goes off in test. So I think you're right that the manual is wrong there.

I'll check the back right one for you tonight. Send me a PM if you don't see a post here to remind me.

#2660 2 years ago

Has anyone added a spotlight to there Taxi? I'm getting ready to change over to LEDs,and I saw that Comet has two and one headed spotlights. Not sure if I'm gonna add the one or the two headed spotlights to each sling.
My game Is pretty dark in the center until the passengers are lit up,but once they go out it's too dark for me.
Thanks in advance
Ralph

#2661 2 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Just gonna have to count them. I usually buy 2 25 packs of 2SMD from comet for the GI, and then manually make a list of color matched non ghosting 1smd for inserts. Flashers I usually leave as incandescent unless a lot are burned out in which case I’ll switch those out. It’s tedious to count but worth it.
For the Taxi I had, I went with cool white for the GI, cool white behind all yellows, warm white for the characters, cool white for the 1 or 2 other white inserts there are and then the other ones are obvious. It looked pretty good to me

I can't remember where i heard or saw this. Maybe in a Comet video on youtube but pink behind yellow looks awesome! It gives the yellow looks without blowing it out like the white does. I have one from the sample packs i bought from comet. I'll see if i can find it and try it out in taxi today. I haven't gotten this far on mine yet.

#2662 2 years ago
Quoted from Y3AG3R:

I can't remember where i heard or saw this. Maybe in a Comet video on youtube but pink behind yellow looks awesome! It gives the yellow looks without blowing it out like the white does. I have one from the sample packs i bought from comet. I'll see if i can find it and try it out in taxi today. I haven't gotten this far on mine yet.

I think I read on Comets site that pink is also used for the orange inserts. It said all the cool kids are doing it,so I'm in.

#2663 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I think I read on Comets site that pink is also used for the orange inserts. It said all the cool kids are doing it,so I'm in.

Ok i just tried it. For the multiplier taxi's at least it is a no go. I think the inserts are too transparent. on my meteor and baby pac it did look better. but taxi i would say no. I would stick with the retro 1 smd or something of a similat color.

The pics actually look good but you can faintly tell it is pink. In person it is like blindingly pink. I also posted a 1 smd led vs a brand new incandescent and holy hell the incandescents suck lol

I replaced the burnt ones i also pictured below and there is no difference with a new one.

Also don't mind the dirty ass playfield my rubber is deteriorating. Hoping to start cleaning this one up this winter.

IMG_2712 (resized).jpgIMG_2712 (resized).jpgIMG_2717 (resized).jpgIMG_2717 (resized).jpgIMG_2719 (resized).jpgIMG_2719 (resized).jpg
#2664 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Has anyone added a spotlight to there Taxi? I'm getting ready to change over to LEDs,and I saw that Comet has two and one headed spotlights. Not sure if I'm gonna add the one or the two headed spotlights to each sling.
My game Is pretty dark in the center until the passengers are lit up,but once they go out it's too dark for me.
Thanks in advance
Ralph

Here’s mine. Not sure you could get double spot lights to fit?

2CF6F48A-9CE1-408C-B1B2-406401F936B3 (resized).jpeg2CF6F48A-9CE1-408C-B1B2-406401F936B3 (resized).jpeg
#2665 2 years ago

I redid my Taxi with all 2smd warm bulbs and it has a very pleasant amount of light. I like a bright game but IMHO Taxi is kind of a dark theme so it still has some shadows but has plenty to play by in a fully dark room. I don't think you need the spotlights. I tried them in my LotR and they really didn't add much light and I have had issues with the bulbs falling out and them moving around. I would recommend trying it with just the bulbs and then adding if you think you need them. To be honest if you really want more light a light bar (i.e. pinstadium type) is the way to go. You can make one yourself without too much trouble. That is what I ended up doing on my LotR.

1111211249_HDR (resized).jpg1111211249_HDR (resized).jpg
#2666 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Here’s mine. Not sure you could get double spot lights to fit?
[quoted image]

Looks like they might work.

Screenshot_20211111-160309-254 (resized).pngScreenshot_20211111-160309-254 (resized).png
#2667 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Looks like they might work. [quoted image]

That’s twilight zone

#2668 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

That’s twilight zone

I know ,I was just showing a picture from Comet’s website,showing the double spotlights.

#2669 2 years ago

Is there anybody making reproduction ramps/spinout for Taxi? (Like the FreePlay40 ramps)

#2670 2 years ago

Is there anybody making reproduction ramps/spinout for Taxi?

Starship Fantasy has them both in blue (my preference) and original red. I have one in my game and its perfect.

#2671 2 years ago

Not sure what the deal is but the price is right! I agree blue looks best too.

ebay.com link: Williams Taxi Pinball Spinout Spin Out Ramp with Ball Retainer NEW BLUE

#2672 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Not sure what the deal is but the price is right! I agree blue looks best too.
ebay.com link: Williams Taxi Pinball Spinout Spin Out Ramp with Ball Retainer NEW BLUE

Saw that one.
Was thinking about it, but saw nothing for the Arrival/Departure ramps which need replacing as well.

#2673 2 years ago

Saw that one.
Was thinking about it, but saw nothing for the Arrival/Departure ramps which need replacing as well.

Marco has ramps for now:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PR130

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/D-12264

#2674 2 years ago

Saw that one.

I saw this already mentioned, but I'll post the link anyway.
https://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Taxi-Departure-Ramp

#2675 2 years ago

Is there anybody making reproduction ramps/spinout for Taxi? (Like the FreePlay40 ramps)

I have a brand new red one still in the original packaging I'd sell for $20 plus shipping cost. I purchased both a red and blue one and tried the Blue one first and decided to keep it blue, so that's why I have a brand new red one. DM me if you want it. Here's what the blue one looks like on my machine:

Taxia (resized).jpegTaxia (resized).jpeg
#2676 2 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

I have a brand new red one still in the original packaging I'd sell for $20 plus shipping cost. I purchased both a red and blue one and tried the Blue one first and decided to keep it blue, so that's why I have a brand new red one. DM me if you want it. Here's what the blue one looks like on my machine:
[quoted image]

Pm sent, thanks in advance.
Ralph

#2677 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

I redid my Taxi with all 2smd warm bulbs and it has a very pleasant amount of light. I like a bright game but IMHO Taxi is kind of a dark theme so it still has some shadows but has plenty to play by in a fully dark room. I don't think you need the spotlights. I tried them in my LotR and they really didn't add much light and I have had issues with the bulbs falling out and them moving around. I would recommend trying it with just the bulbs and then adding if you think you need them. To be honest if you really want more light a light bar (i.e. pinstadium type) is the way to go. You can make one yourself without too much trouble. That is what I ended up doing on my LotR.
[quoted image]

I think it looks 100% better with the LEDs. I think I'll skip the spotlights,and go with just the LEDs.

#2678 2 years ago
Quoted from flipkidflip:

[quoted image]

Confirmed your right. The one in your question if the spinout flashers.

3647FB94-C85D-404B-A016-F488A0EE6175 (resized).jpeg3647FB94-C85D-404B-A016-F488A0EE6175 (resized).jpeg4A5AE2E2-5216-430A-85A5-3FCD8242195F (resized).jpeg4A5AE2E2-5216-430A-85A5-3FCD8242195F (resized).jpegC7FA9AE2-720F-491C-9909-4DB7B7FA0B6E (resized).jpegC7FA9AE2-720F-491C-9909-4DB7B7FA0B6E (resized).jpeg
#2679 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I think it looks 100% better with the LEDs. I think I'll skip the spotlights,and go with just the LEDs.

Yeah, I thought it might.

#2681 2 years ago

Anyone know if/where this piece is available? Mine is cracked and glued to hell and back and needs to be replaced altogether.

SmartSelectImage_2021-11-14-15-06-24 (resized).pngSmartSelectImage_2021-11-14-15-06-24 (resized).png
#2682 2 years ago

Marco

23A298D2-83C0-4D09-98D3-4BBC582CD249 (resized).png23A298D2-83C0-4D09-98D3-4BBC582CD249 (resized).png
#2683 2 years ago

Thanks!

1 week later
#2684 2 years ago

OK.
I've got my new Spinout ramp (Blue) and the two other ramps on their way.

Never swapped out ramps before.

Any tips tricks I should know going into this? Any help much appreciated. I scoured Youtube looking to see any tear down videos and found nothing. I swapped out a bunch of star posts and most rubbers. Still to do the ones under the ramps. Any tips on dealing with T-nut (?) fixings that spin on the bottom of the playfield preventing you from removing the screw also appreciated.

#2685 2 years ago

OK.
Any tips tricks I should know going into this? Any help much appreciated. I scoured Youtube looking to see any tear down videos and found nothing. I swapped out a bunch of star posts and most rubbers. Still to do the ones under the ramps. Any tips on dealing with T-nut (?) fixings that spin on the bottom of the playfield preventing you from removing the screw also appreciated.

they are easy.

take lots of pics, each step of the way.

#2686 2 years ago

OK.

I read in the System 11 club, that you should heat the T-nut with a soldering iron,when you're removing the post. They may have used some kind of lock-tite when it was built?

#2687 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I read in the System 11 club, that you should heat the T-nut with a soldering iron,when you're removing the post. They may have used some kind of lock-tite when it was built?

Interesting.
So just touch the metal with the iron I guess??

#2688 2 years ago

Interesting.

yes

#2689 2 years ago

Interesting.

You can do that, I opted to just break the posts and t-nuts as they are both cheap and it saved a significant amount of time trying to heat up and remove old hardware

#2690 2 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

You can do that, I opted to just break the posts and t-nuts as they are both cheap and it saved a significant amount of time trying to heat up and remove old hardware

I thought about that as the old star posts are going in trash anyways

#2691 2 years ago

Nevermind. Idiot question!

Shawn

1 week later
#2692 2 years ago

Okay guys, trying to get her to 100%. Replaced the right flipper coil, installed new blue ramp and replaced more dead flashers. The entire right side and top GI is dead and I have traced it to a relay board, Sol. 11 GI. There is a diagram of it on page 45 of the manual. It has W1 and W2. W2 is a crispy critter and needs replacing. I would guess there was a short in the GI at some point? The board looks good but I need to replace W2. Looks similar to a resistor with a single black band. Any ideas out there? Done a lot of board work but this is new to me. Thanks in advance -

Shawn

IMG_2734 (resized).JPGIMG_2734 (resized).JPG
#2693 2 years ago

Aaaaaand it seems that W1 and W2 are just zero ohm resistors. So a piece of wire should do the trick. (Jumper) The trick of course is being ready to switch it off quick if the short is still in the system.

#2694 2 years ago

Here's a look at the ramp that was way past its expiration date...

The old red one had a thin strip of metal in it for reinforcement, maybe?

IMG_2731 (resized).JPGIMG_2731 (resized).JPGIMG_2732 (resized).JPGIMG_2732 (resized).JPG
#2695 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Aaaaaand it seems that W1 and W2 are just zero ohm resistors. So a piece of wire should do the trick. (Jumper) The trick of course is being ready to switch it off quick if the short is still in the system.

Those jumpers are there because the board is a single sided board (only has copper traces on one side).

#2696 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Here's a look at the ramp that was way past its expiration date...
The old red one had a thin strip of metal in it for reinforcement, maybe?

Mine was held together with bondo, epoxy, tape and drywall filler....

New blue ramp is incredible!

Adjusting the ball trajectory (and replacing the shooter rubber and silver spring) got me easily 10 to 14 spins!

#2697 2 years ago

My pop bumper lamp socket broke the other day. Could I just solder this one to the existing lamp socket leads? I was getting ready to order the pop bumper lamp socket from Marco,and I saw this lamp socket .

Screenshot_20211202-011057-471 (resized).pngScreenshot_20211202-011057-471 (resized).png
#2698 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

My pop bumper lamp socket broke the other day. Could I just solder this one to the existing lamp socket leads? I was getting ready to order the pop bumper lamp socket from Marco,and I saw this lamp socket .
[quoted image]

I mean you can try, but calling those “improved” is a stretch to me. They never fit underneath the pop bumper cap right and they usually fall over because nothing supports them staying upright. Just get the new metal ones and do it the right way, it’s not bad.

#2699 2 years ago

Adjusting the ball trajectory (and replacing the shooter rubber and silver spring) got me easily 10 to 14 spins!

Disappointed, but motivated. The ramp looks great but I am lucky to get 3 spins so far. Got the red spring and a good shooter tip. The crappy old ramp gave me 5-6 spins so I have some adjusting to do! Also, it is wonderful to have all the GI back!

Shawn

#2700 2 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

I mean you can try, but calling those “improved” is a stretch to me. They never fit underneath the pop bumper cap right and they usually fall over because nothing supports them staying upright. Just get the new metal ones and do it the right way, it’s not bad.</blockquot

Disappointed, but motivated. The ramp looks great but I am lucky to get 3 spins so far. Got the red spring and a good shooter tip. The crappy old ramp gave me 5-6 spins so I have some adjusting to do! Also, it is wonderful to have all the GI back!
Shawn

I had the same problem and I'm not sure what fixed it ? I replaced the shooter tip,and I waxed the inside of the of the spinout ramp. it was probably the shooter tip but I can't say for sure?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 74.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/54?hl=redwizard000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.