IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 74.
#2601 2 years ago

Just double checking . Is Naphtha safe to use on a Taxi playfield. I'm thinking it is,but I'd like to check just in case.
Thanks in advance

#2602 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Just double checking . Is Naphtha safe to use on a Taxi playfield. I'm thinking it is,but I'd like to check just in case.
Thanks in advance

Yes.

#2604 2 years ago

Can anyone help with the relay wiring for the backbox light panel? I’m repairing but with the hacks on the relay and wiring, I want to make sure the wiring and relay wasn’t modified.

This is what I have.

14E4C7DB-FBC5-44C3-BA4A-EF457D5F4C0C (resized).jpeg14E4C7DB-FBC5-44C3-BA4A-EF457D5F4C0C (resized).jpeg595781CB-3377-41A4-846A-D2C385874A45 (resized).jpeg595781CB-3377-41A4-846A-D2C385874A45 (resized).jpeg58A060FD-738F-4A4E-AD88-5B4ECCB9A59B (resized).jpeg58A060FD-738F-4A4E-AD88-5B4ECCB9A59B (resized).jpeg
#2605 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Can anyone help with the relay wiring for the backbox light panel? I’m repairing but with the hacks on the relay and wiring, I want to make sure the wiring and relay wasn’t modified.
This is what I have.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Huge thanks to DumbAss again. From him, “ GI relays are wired the same way. Their job is to turn OFF the GI when the relay is energized. Therefore the two sets of GI wires should be connected to the "NC" terminals.
1=1C
2=2C
3=-
4=1NC
5=2NC
6=1NO
7=2NO
Therefore one set of wires (GRN) should be connected to either 1C/1NC or 2C/2NC. The other set of wires (BRN) should be connected to either 1C/1NC or 2C/2NC. It doesn't matter if GRN is connected to 1 or 2 or BRN is connected to 1 or 2. It only matters that GRN matches GRN (i.e. 1 and 1 or 2 and 2) and BRN matches BRN (i.e. 1 and 1 or 2 and 2).”

#2606 2 years ago

And just to add proof of concept:

IMG_6880[1] (resized).jpgIMG_6880[1] (resized).jpg
#2607 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Huge thanks to DumbAss again. From him, “ GI relays are wired the same way. Their job is to turn OFF the GI when the relay is energized. Therefore the two sets of GI wires should be connected to the "NC" terminals.
1=1C
2=2C
3=-
4=1NC
5=2NC
6=1NO
7=2NO
Therefore one set of wires (GRN) should be connected to either 1C/1NC or 2C/2NC. The other set of wires (BRN) should be connected to either 1C/1NC or 2C/2NC. It doesn't matter if GRN is connected to 1 or 2 or BRN is connected to 1 or 2. It only matters that GRN matches GRN (i.e. 1 and 1 or 2 and 2) and BRN matches BRN (i.e. 1 and 1 or 2 and 2).”

I was thinking of going with digital relays from LEDOCD for long term durability.

Thoughts on this? I bought all three of them...

#2608 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I was thinking of going with digital relays from LEDOCD for long term durability.
Thoughts on this? I bought all three of them...

I used them in mine and they work great. Only thing to know going in is that you will have to slightly modify the wiring from original.

#2609 2 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

I used them in mine and they work great. Only thing to know going in is that you will have to slightly modify the wiring from original.

Is there a wiring diagram to follow?

#2610 2 years ago

Is there a wiring diagram to follow?

http://www.ledocd.com/install_sys11_gi_r2.html

If you need any help with the specific wire colors for Taxi let me know and I can dig up the pics from mine.

#2611 2 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

http://www.ledocd.com/install_sys11_gi_r2.html
If you need any help with the specific wire colors for Taxi let me know and I can dig up the pics from mine.

Thanks, will do.
Someone should make a simple easy to follow, step by step instruction for this modification, at least for taxi.

#2612 2 years ago

Hey gang! I flipped on my Taxi only to find that half the playfield GI is out: basically the entire right hand side, including the rollover lanes up top.

I absolutely suck at diagnosing GI problems, so help narrowing things down would be appreciated.

My current thought process is that a wire broke the daisy chain under the playfield, but I don’t see an issue. Is there a header on the interconnect that specifically drives this chain of lamps?

5CB5F288-0946-461D-BE5A-C7FABB548606 (resized).jpeg5CB5F288-0946-461D-BE5A-C7FABB548606 (resized).jpeg
#2613 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Hey gang! I flipped on my Taxi only to find that half the playfield GI is out: basically the entire right hand side, including the rollover lanes up top.
I absolutely suck at diagnosing GI problems, so help narrowing things down would be appreciated.
My current thought process is that a wire broke the daisy chain under the playfield, but I don’t see an issue. Is there a header on the interconnect that specifically drives this chain of lamps?[quoted image]

Find the color of the wires on that string and trace them back. Cold solder, burnt connector, or blown fuse is likely the cause.

#2614 2 years ago

I'd like to replace my rubber rings ,but the manual isn't very helpful,unless I missed something?
This is the list I found, and it doesn't seem right? Plus there's no diagram showing where the rings go ?

Screenshot_20211101-204628-344 (resized).pngScreenshot_20211101-204628-344 (resized).png
#2615 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I'd like to replace my rubber rings ,but the manual isn't very helpful,unless I missed something?
This is the list I found, and it doesn't seem right? Plus there's no diagram showing where the rings go ?
[quoted image]

When I do it I try to change them all. Typically I order a full kit from Marco:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RK1773-1

and then just match them to the kit as I take them off.

#2616 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

My current thought process is that a wire broke the daisy chain under the playfield, but I don’t see an issue. Is there a header on the interconnect that specifically drives this chain of lamps?[quoted image]

So the first thing to ask is what is different? Where you doing something under the playfield? Transported it with head down?

After that, check your fuses first and if one is blown then assume something is shorted. Fuses blow for reason, just changing it probably won't fix it unless you shorted with a tool or something. I would check each lamp socket and make sure there is no obvious short.

If the fuse isn't shorted then wiggle the GI connectors on the board and make sure they are well connected. After that follow the GI chain and see if there isn't something weird.

If you don't find anything then you probably have a bad transistor. In my experience I have blown them when I have crushed a socket or shorted with a tool when trying to do something when the lights were on. If you haven't done it before changing a transistor is a little intimidating but not bad after you do it once. I have had a lot of GI issues on old Bally/Williams but the circuits are not that complicated.

It can be frustrating but it is likely something simple. If you have any question just ask.

#2617 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

[quoted image]

Taxi has the rubber ring size printed directly on the playfield… there is one odd sized one. The one leading up to Santa on the left is 5”, I believe.

#2618 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Taxi has the rubber ring size printed directly on the playfield… there is one odd sized one. The one leading up to Santa on the left is 5”, I believe.

Thank you .

#2619 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

When I do it I try to change them all. Typically I order a full kit from Marco:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RK1773-1
and then just match them to the kit as I take them off.

Thank you

#2620 2 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Find the color of the wires on that string and trace them back. Cold solder, burnt connector, or blown fuse is likely the cause.

It looks like the yellow/white-yellow string. The purple string is the one that's working. Wiggling the connectors on both the interconnect and the relay under the playfield don't yield any results, so it could be a fuse.

So the first thing to ask is what is different? Where you doing something under the playfield? Transported it with head down?

No changes. Just flipped the game on the other day and noticed it.

When I get home from work, I'll check fuses. I'm not convinced it's a transistor, since I believe the playfield GI is all controlled through the single relay under the playfield?

#2621 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

It looks like the yellow/white-yellow string. The purple string is the one that's working. Wiggling the connectors on both the interconnect and the relay under the playfield don't yield any results, so it could be a fuse.

No changes. Just flipped the game on the other day and noticed it.
When I get home from work, I'll check fuses. I'm not convinced it's a transistor, since I believe the playfield GI is all controlled through the single relay under the playfield?

I would first check fuse 2. I would actually pull it and check it out of the machine to make sure it is fine. If it is okay then I would check voltage on pin 7 and 6 on the interconnect board (J9). Compare them to 1 and 5 (your working side) with the game on. If you are getting the same voltage then the issue is on the playfield side. If not, it is a voltage issue on the interconnect board I would guess.

I broke out the schematics and you are right that the GI doesn't seem to go through a transistor but straight from power supply through the interconnect board. I am not sure of this but I suspect the relay on the playfield is normally on and they cycle it off for GI effects. You should do a "Coil Test" and on Item 11 it will flash the playfield lights. See if the left (working) side flashes. If so the relay probably works since it does both circuits together.

#2622 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I had this exact same issue (I think mine might have been the right side out, but either way, only one side was out). It ended up being the GI relay board located under the playfield. It is located toward the back right side on the bottom of the playfield. I could push the connector forward and get them to turn on, but as soon as I released it the one side would turn back off. I replaced that part and the wire connector to it and it fixed the issue 100%. I would take a pic for you, but I'm not at home right now. I hope this makes sense.

I believe this is the part: https://pinparts.co.uk/products/system-11-gi-relay-board-new

EDIT: see this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-playfield-gi-partially-out

#2623 2 years ago

Just picked up a Taxi... looks nice next to my HS

Question... is there a way to turn off the bell?

#2624 2 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

You can disable it in the service menu.

I have played it both ways, now I really like the bell for the jackpots etc. It wakes the game up!

#2625 2 years ago

The bell is SUPER LOUD! I turned it off day one.

Awesome game, just played it today. Doesn't do a lot but it does it really well. I recommend setting the jackpots to the highest minimum (500k) and lowest maximum (1.5m) and the fastest advance. This makes it less jackpot focused and incentivizes doing other things. Just my home-use advice.

Recommend the Silverball Chronicals podcast (TPN network) about Python Anghelo for context on its design.

#2626 2 years ago

You can disable it in the service menu.
I have played it both ways, now I really like the bell for the jackpots etc. It wakes the game up!

Awesome... my wife and dog thank you

#2627 2 years ago

Got a taxi few weeks back with battery damage. Got a new board from Dumbass in and got it fired up. Everything but one flipper i need to repair is working but I am only getting music and sound effects from the game,
no Ooh Taxi or other voices?
Is there somewhere I should look to fix it. Both sound eroms seem to be installed correctly on the dumbass board.

#2628 2 years ago

Just reading on the machine a bit.
Is the Marilynn playfield rare?

#2629 2 years ago

Just reading on the machine a bit.
Is the Marilynn playfield rare?

Most games now have the marilyn playfield and backglass.

Lola seems more rare today.

#2630 2 years ago

Awesome... my wife and dog thank you

Yeah,I had to turn mine off too. My wife is on the other side of the wall in the family room. I’m tempted to remove the drywall,and install some sound attenuation fiber glass,also know in the trade as Rotten Cotton! If you ever worked with the stuff,you’d know why it got that nickname.

#2631 2 years ago

Ok. This is an original playfield I believe.

#2632 2 years ago

They made both from the factory...Marylin first, then Lola after. I have a Lola example.

Not down playing anybody's preference, but it's such a trivial thing to me about the Lola vs Marylin debate. Does the 3/4 inch insert and barely different back glass illustration of this one character really make that much difference to people? I never even think about it, let alone notice it, when I'm playing any version of Taxi.

#2633 2 years ago

Agree. Everyone wants to tell you how rare Marilyn is and then show you the one they have.

#2634 2 years ago

I have an original Marilyn playfield in my game. It was missing the translite but has original Marilyn sound. People pull out the original Marilyn translites and sell them to collectors pretty often. Those are rare.

Also, hybrid games with Marilyn playfield and Lola translites are fairly common. They usually have Lola sound ROM's.

I bought a CPR Marilyn backglass to replace my missing translite. Its really nice!

I imagine that nearly all games will have Marilyn playfields and backglass at some point, as they get restored.

The only real issue is the sound ROM. Ive seen Marilyn restored games with incorrect Lola ROM's.

Lola games have a newer version ROM than marilyn games, the call outs are different for Lola.

So, if you want a Marilyn game, check that the sound ROM is correct.

A Fully restored Lola game, with new playfield and backglass, is going to be pretty rare I think.

If they make Pinsound for Taxi, I would be inclined to do a Lola version with Harvey Fierstein callouts for the Lola character. It would make Python proud and likely laugh.

#2635 2 years ago

I have a Marilyn translite and a Lola playfield, Lola ROMs and a Marilyn key fob.

#2636 2 years ago

Awesome game, just played it today. Doesn't do a lot but it does it really well. I recommend setting the jackpots to the highest minimum (500k) and lowest maximum (1.5m) and the fastest advance. This makes it less jackpot focused and incentivizes doing other things. Just my home-use advice.

I agree 100% with making the jackpot range as tight as possible - I think mine allowed 1 million min and 1.5 million max. The other setting I prefer is turning off the skill shot multiplier. I find it allows too many points to be scored on the plunge alone compared to the rest of the game scoring, especially if you have extra balls on. Getting 400K for a skill shot is too much in my opinion when you only get 300K for the multiball express lanes and 1M for the maxed ramps objective.

#2637 2 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

I agree 100% with making the jackpot range as tight as possible - I think mine allowed 1 million min and 1.5 million max. The other setting I prefer is turning off the skill shot multiplier. I find it allows too many points to be scored on the plunge alone compared to the rest of the game scoring, especially if you have extra balls on. Getting 400K for a skill shot is too much in my opinion when you only get 300K for the multiball express lanes and 1M for the maxed ramps objective.

Agree completely. I wish there was even an option to have memory on the ramp progress too. Note there's also a custom rom floating around which lets you set the min and max jackpot to the same value if you just want to keep it 'fixed'

#2638 2 years ago

So my taxi suffers from a bent shooter rod i guess because the spring on the outside of the cab is shot.

I have a Stern AIQ shooter rod that i replaced, could i use that for my Taxi? i could take mine out and check but i am lazy and figured someone might know the answer already.

#2639 2 years ago

Any chance anyone has a list of all the bulbs needed for a Taxi? I did a search,but nothing really helpful popped up. I also checked the manual,but all I found was a list of all the flashers needed,and a page that just listed all of the lamps,but it didn't specify what type of bulb.
Thanks in advance
Ralph

#2640 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Any chance anyone has a list of all the bulbs needed for a Taxi? I did a search,but nothing really helpful popped up. I also checked the manual,but all I found was a list of all the flashers needed,and a page that just listed all of the lamps,but it didn't specify what type of bulb.
Thanks in advance
Ralph

Just gonna have to count them. I usually buy 2 25 packs of 2SMD from comet for the GI, and then manually make a list of color matched non ghosting 1smd for inserts. Flashers I usually leave as incandescent unless a lot are burned out in which case I’ll switch those out. It’s tedious to count but worth it.

For the Taxi I had, I went with cool white for the GI, cool white behind all yellows, warm white for the characters, cool white for the 1 or 2 other white inserts there are and then the other ones are obvious. It looked pretty good to me

616324FA-BB66-45D1-A7C3-73F0F385AF57 (resized).jpeg616324FA-BB66-45D1-A7C3-73F0F385AF57 (resized).jpeg7CA94119-C3A3-42D0-8CF2-21F9590F7F58 (resized).jpeg7CA94119-C3A3-42D0-8CF2-21F9590F7F58 (resized).jpeg

#2641 2 years ago

Thank you ! I started my count yesterday,and I also added 2 x25 pack of smd from comet,for the backbox and the playfield. A Pinsider doing a Taxi restore also recommended non Ghosting LEDs for the inserts.
Thanks again for the help!

#2642 2 years ago

So... got a Taxi two weeks ago.
Works great for the most part: but two things I'd love guidance on from the smart kids:

- I have a few raised inserts that are under the mylar. I know usually you can warm the insert with a hairdryer and lightly tap them back down; but can this be done through the mylar?

- I get a random Tilt once in a while. It usually happens right after it passes through the C-A-B lanes and hits the Pop Bumper. Any ideas what would cause it? There is 0 movement in the cabinet when it happens.

#2643 2 years ago

- I have a few raised inserts that are under the mylar. I know usually you can warm the insert with a hairdryer and lightly tap them back down; but can this be done through the mylar?

I have the same condition on mine. I used a deep throated C-clamp to press down on a hard wood block on the top of the playfield. I used a 2 part epozy from the back side to secure the edges of the inserts to their holes. You likely have to remove some pieces underneath to make room for the clamp. I glue 1-2 inserts at a time if the clamp can press down on that many, let it cure for about an hour and then move to the next one.

#2644 2 years ago

Works great for the most part: but two things I'd love guidance on from the smart kids:
- I get a random Tilt once in a while. It usually happens right after it passes through the C-A-B lanes and hits the Pop Bumper. Any ideas what would cause it? There is 0 movement in the cabinet when it happens.

For the second one, it is probably a switch matrix fault. I would guess a bad diode but you should go into switch test and play with all the switches and see if any register two or more when it should only be one. Note any that are funky and check the switch matrix in the manual and see if they are all related by column or row.

Also, just look at the switches and see if there is any obvious fault such as a missing diode or diode installed backwards.

This might help as well:

https://homepinballrepair.com/pinball-switch-lamp-matrix-troubleshooting/

Screenshot 2021-11-08 082009 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-08 082009 (resized).png
#2645 2 years ago

For the second one, it is probably a switch matrix fault. I would guess a bad diode but you should go into switch test and play with all the switches and see if any register two or more when it should only be one. Note any that are funky and check the switch matrix in the manual and see if they are all related by column or row.
Also, just look at the switches and see if there is any obvious fault such as a missing diode or diode installed backwards.
This might help as well:
https://homepinballrepair.com/pinball-switch-lamp-matrix-troubleshooting/[quoted image]

Thank you!
I will try that when I have a bit of time to play.

#2646 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have the same condition on mine. I used a deep throated C-clamp to press down on a hard wood block on the top of the playfield. I used a 2 part epozy from the back side to secure the edges of the inserts to their holes. You likely have to remove some pieces underneath to make room for the clamp. I glue 1-2 inserts at a time if the clamp can press down on that many, let it cure for about an hour and then move to the next one.

Do you tighten them cold or after a little warming up?
(Also... does it mess up the mylar??)

#2647 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Thank you ! I started my count yesterday,and I also added 2 x25 pack of smd from comet,for the backbox and the playfield. A Pinsider doing a Taxi restore also recommended non Ghosting LEDs for the inserts.
Thanks again for the help!

No problem! When making your count for the inserts, don’t forget the traffic light in the backbox. Those 3 are also controlled lamps

#2648 2 years ago

Do you tighten them cold or after a little warming up?
(Also... does it mess up the mylar??)

I use a nice flat and smooth piece of oak on the playfield side. It leaves no impressions on the old mylar. If no mylar I put wax paper down first under the wood block. The hot versus cold thing does not seem to have much effect in my experience, especially on System 11s. Williams used some large rectangular inserts and they really move around. The adhesive lets go locally and the variations in wood/plastic movement slowly detach the bond. This is not a hot/cold issue. If the adhesive was instead creeping and accommodating movements I would think heating it might help but I don't think that is what is happening. I notice that arrow inserts really tip up at the arrow tip end and you can easily push them down but they spring up again. The arrow tip adhesive has let go.

Chances are the mylar is a bit tented up over the raised insert. This has saved your insert from being chipped apart. But it stays detached even when the insert is pushed back down. Trying to fix that has a lot more risk and trying to fill it is actually quite a large volume. It is not like trying to wick CA glue under a delaminated chunk of clear coat. The mylar gap is quite large. Best thing I do is prick it with a pin and press it down again now that the air can get out but it is of limited success. A really tented section will definitely stay much lower down though.

#2649 2 years ago

Just joined the club this weekend! Love it.

I bought it as a restore package deal, so it came along with a new CPR PF, new Arrival/Departure/Spinout ramps and a set of new plastics. I am torn on trying to sell the parts, attempt a PF swap, or have someone do the swap for me.

The machine is in quite good condition as is, so it doesn't neeed a restore, but man, it would be sweet.

IMG_1527 (resized).JPGIMG_1527 (resized).JPG
#2650 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I use a nice flat and smooth piece of oak on the playfield side. It leaves no impressions on the old mylar. If no mylar I put wax paper down first under the wood block. The hot versus cold thing does not seem to have much effect in my experience, especially on System 11s. Williams used some large rectangular inserts and they really move around. The adhesive lets go locally and the variations in wood/plastic movement slowly detach the bond. This is not a hot/cold issue. If the adhesive was instead creeping and accommodating movements I would think heating it might help but I don't think that is what is happening. I notice that arrow inserts really tip up at the arrow tip end and you can easily push them down but they spring up again. The arrow tip adhesive has let go.
Chances are the mylar is a bit tented up over the raised insert. This has saved your insert from being chipped apart. But it stays detached even when the insert is pushed back down. Trying to fix that has a lot more risk and trying to fill it is actually quite a large volume. It is not like trying to wick CA glue under a delaminated chunk of clear coat. The mylar gap is quite large. Best thing I do is prick it with a pin and press it down again now that the air can get out but it is of limited success. A really tented section will definitely stay much lower down though.

Beautiful.
thank you for this!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 74.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/53?hl=killerrobots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.