IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 74.
#2401 3 years ago

Yes
But could use a new backglass

#2402 3 years ago

Enjoy, it is a house favorite for us. It is simple but addictive.

#2403 3 years ago

Does anyone have the part number for the spring on the top ball gate for the Gorbie shot? Can't seem to find it in the manual.

#2404 3 years ago

Mine was missing and I replaced it with the spring from a Bally coin door. The one that's on the coin lockout coil. Seemed like a good fit.

#2405 3 years ago

I've had my Taxi for a couple years now and it is likely never leaving the collection. I was doing a shop-out recently and removed the "Spin-Out" ramp, only to find that it is actually kinda destroyed and was rigged up to even be able to work. While shopping around for a new "Spin-Out" I came across this ad for a brand new blue on for only $29 plus shipping:

ebay.com link: Williams Taxi Pinball Spinout Ramp with Ball Retainer NEW BLUE CUSTOM LOOK

Just sharing this for anyone else out there that needs a new one and the blue looks like it will look nice in the cab.

1 week later
#2406 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

I've had my Taxi for a couple years now and it is likely never leaving the collection. I was doing a shop-out recently and removed the "Spin-Out" ramp, only to find that it is actually kinda destroyed and was rigged up to even be able to work. While shopping around for a new "Spin-Out" I came across this ad for a brand new blue on for only $29 plus shipping:
ebay.com link: Williams Taxi Pinball Spinout Ramp with Ball Retainer NEW BLUE CUSTOM LOOK
Just sharing this for anyone else out there that needs a new one and the blue looks like it will look nice in the cab.

Thanks for the heads up! It just arrived and I’ll be installing this weekend.

#2407 3 years ago
Quoted from mIkea:

Thanks for the heads up! It just arrived and I’ll be installing this weekend.

Sweet! I installed mine a week ago and I like the blue look! And the price was great!

taxi1 (resized).JPGtaxi1 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#2408 3 years ago

Hello!

I picked up a Taxi a couple of weeks ago. Probably paid too much for it ($3K) but it's actually in pretty nice shape. Cabinet is a solid 8/10 and I'd say the playfield is about the same with the standard wear around the pops and other parts. Left ramp has a giant hole in it from the Dracapult that's been fixed with clear packing tape, but it still plays OK. I have a metal protector on the way to cover the hole until I decide to swap out the ramps. Also, the typical bad performance on the Spinout ramp which has been replaced with a not-broken blue one. Still working on that one, and have reached out to Sonic about one of his magnetic reed switches to replace the leaf switch.

The previous owner said it played great, but I've been slowly going through the mechanicals and fixing small stuff to tighten up the game play, and it's gone from playing "just OK" to playing really well.

IMG_3991 (resized).jpgIMG_3991 (resized).jpg
IMG_3990 (resized).JPGIMG_3990 (resized).JPG

Once I've got some spare time, I've got a few electrical gremlins to sort out. Occasionally when I turn the machine on, I'll get the GI and it might take 20-30 seconds for the game to "wake up" and actually boot. I suspect I'm going to need to re-cap the power and/or aux power board, unless someone else has other suggestions. The other thing I'm going to need to address is this:

IMG_3980 (resized).jpgIMG_3980 (resized).jpg
IMG_3983 (resized).jpgIMG_3983 (resized).jpg

Mmmm, crispy. I have a feeling that is causing my weird behavior with the oulane lights. It's almost like they stay on in continuous attract mode. Also, the bonus indicators on the score glass will randomly lilght up at times, and not always the same ones. When I pull the MPU to work on it, I'm also going to replace the AA battery holder with one of the coin cell boards from No Quarters Arcade. I've got them in all of my other games and am a big fan. Luckily this board has escaped any battery damage and looks good aside from the above shit-stain.

All that said, I'm actually looking for a green "Express Lane 2" sign that's missing above my Drac lane. There's one on ebay for $20, but it doesn't have the metal brackets to attach it to the playfield. Anyone have any leads on one?

#2409 3 years ago

I am interested to know more about what these are all about

magnetic reed switches to replace the leaf switch, anyone got a link or more info ?

#2410 3 years ago
Quoted from Dicky:

magnetic reed switches to replace the leaf switch, anyone got a link or more info ?

Sonic can tell you, as he is the one that makes them. However, the idea is that instead of a physical lever to activate a switch, the switch uses magnetism and when the ball passes over it, that is what activates the switch. So, in essence, a non-contact switch. In theory it should improve performance of the Spinout ramp because you no longer have a physical reed switch imparting friction on the ball, causing it to slow down faster.

#2411 3 years ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Even though I cleaned the spin out ramp with alcohol before installing the Mrs reed switch fell off about a month later. My taxi is on route though. It needs a screw. Taking everything out to fix it was a pain. I went back to the original switch.

#2412 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Even though I cleaned the spin out ramp with alcohol before installing the Mrs reed switch fell off about a month later. My taxi is on route though. It needs a screw. Taking everything out to fix it was a pain. I went back to the original switch.

Hi Chris - Sorry to hear about the adhesive problem...we use a 3M product with application for tablet/phones LCD screens, pretty strong stuff - in fact we get more "how to I get this off" comments, than it won't stick....I don't have any I can send you as it comes double-sided on one big roll and I can't section it as once it comes off the roll, it's ready to apply...please track down some similar adhesive and reapply - the MRS is <2oz - so almost all double sided tapes should work perfectly....we chose the adhesive method as to make the MRS as least intrusive to the bowl and easy to apply....we have similar MRS' for Taxi, Creech, Diner, Transporter, Cactus Canyon, Mustang and something else that doesn't come to mind...with no issues....

Matt
M&M Creations

3 weeks later
#2413 3 years ago

If anyone is interested, I'm starting the Taxi portion of my restoration thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-amp-taxi-80s-brothers-rebuilt/page/3#post-6218400

1 week later
#2414 3 years ago

Just joined the club!

Game is pretty rough, but I think I want to do a full restore on it.

Ill post pictures when I get it running.

#2415 3 years ago

Here are a few pics of my game:

20210413_142851 (resized).jpg20210413_142851 (resized).jpg20210413_142857 (resized).jpg20210413_142857 (resized).jpg20210413_142904 (resized).jpg20210413_142904 (resized).jpg20210413_142916 (resized).jpg20210413_142916 (resized).jpg20210413_142920 (resized).jpg20210413_142920 (resized).jpg20210413_142940 (resized).jpg20210413_142940 (resized).jpg20210413_142945 (resized).jpg20210413_142945 (resized).jpg20210413_143027 (resized).jpg20210413_143027 (resized).jpg
#2416 3 years ago

Looks like i have an aftermarket translite! Lol its not a sticker.

Typical wear near the flippers.
I ordered a mirco playfield.

Also has a new plastic set in it and a lot of star post.lights.

Just need some rubber on it.

I already ordered a CPR glass.

Tons of LEDS im not sold on the colors...but it does look cool.

#2417 3 years ago

Since I sorta committed to a full restore...

Where Do I get a green start button? They seem elusive.

#2418 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Since I sorta committed to a full restore...
Where Do I get a green start button? They seem elusive.

Green arcade button.

2BD715AC-B7B2-46E2-BD93-AD40563DE0C7 (resized).jpeg2BD715AC-B7B2-46E2-BD93-AD40563DE0C7 (resized).jpeg
#2419 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Green arcade button.
[quoted image]

Yeah, I thought of that. My Farfalla has that kind of setup and it looks great.

I may just end up dying a white one green if its possible.

#2420 3 years ago

On cabinet paint,

Is there a good rustoleum "rattle can" yellow color?

You cant really see the yellow paint as the decals cover most of the cabinet.

I already have a system 11 sikscreen for the warning text.

#2421 3 years ago

The more I play Taxi, The more I want to completely restore it!

I will remove the plastic outlane switch brackets and modernize those during the resto (or before, lol, they seem kinda loose).

I have already replaced the drac catapult switch and the outhole switch as I am going thru and testing.

My game is completely in tact with no operator hacks. Its kind of unbelievable lol.

I love this game!

#2422 3 years ago

Yeah, I thought of that. My Farfalla has that kind of setup and it looks great.
I may just end up dying a white one green if its possible.

It works perfect! I took the clip off the button and it came out. Looks just like the original.

#2423 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

It works perfect! I took the clip off the button and it came out. Looks just like the original.

I see what you are saying.

Disassemble the button and use the center. I have green buttons in stock.

INGENIOUS!

Thanks!

#2424 3 years ago

On cabinet paint,
Is there a good rustoleum "rattle can" yellow color?
You cant really see the yellow paint as the decals cover most of the cabinet.
I already have a system 11 sikscreen for the warning text.

My paint journey here;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2020-taxi-hardtop-cabinet-repair-general-rehab-ffwd#post-5945746
Spoiler: I tried two Rustoleums that didn't work. Maybe there is a closer color through other manufacturers like Montana or MTN.

#2425 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Do you have a link to the buttons with the e-clip on them?

#2426 3 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

My paint journey here;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2020-taxi-hardtop-cabinet-repair-general-rehab-ffwd#post-5945746
Spoiler: I tried two Rustoleums that didn't work. Maybe there is a closer color through other manufacturers like Montana or MTN.

I see the problem.

Yellow is impossible to match!

I think it always has been.

When I get my decals, I will most likely have paint mixed up.

I hate to do this as, way down the road, touch up paint may be hard to get unless custom mixed.

Still though, with fading, I guess its the only way.

#2427 3 years ago

The more I play Taxi, The more I want to completely restore it!

Agreed, I purchased a players condition Taxi a few years back on a whim, as I never got a chance to play it back in the day. It still hasn't left my very small collection. It's got some real staying power for a pin built in 1988. IMHO Taxi is a Top 5 Williams Sys 11 pin.

#2428 3 years ago

I see the problem.
Yellow is impossible to match!
I think it always has been.
When I get my decals, I will most likely have paint mixed up.
I hate to do this as, way down the road, touch up paint may be hard to get unless custom mixed.
Still though, with fading, I guess its the only way.

Having them scan the decal and match the paint is probably your best bet. I’ve read that some paint stores can even make a custom rattle can if you don’t want to use an HVLP setup.

I used Radcals but they won’t scan. I ended up having to play with the paint mixture to get it right.

#2429 3 years ago

Agreed, I purchased a players condition Taxi a few years back on a whim, as I never got a chance to play it back in the day. It still hasn't left my very small collection. It's got some real staying power for a pin built in 1988. IMHO Taxi is a Top 5 Williams Sys 11 pin.

Taxi is a phenomenal game. It and High Speed are definitely my favorite Sys11 games I've played (although I haven't played Banzai Run or some of the more elusive titles). I teetered with selling my Taxi (as well as my High Speed, tbh) to chase bigger fish (Tron, Metallica, and as it ended up, a Black Knight Sword of Rage) and had offers on both, including up to $3000 for Taxi... and I couldn't do it. Thankfully I had other sacrificial lambs I could use to make my goals possible: T2, Pinbot, Cactus Jack's (I do really miss this one, and hope to find a primo condition one someday), Getaway (didn't make the cut when stacked up to High Speed..I just like High Speed better for some reason), F-14 (loved this one but man it's tough, and my cab was..not great), Meteor (DEFINITELY miss this one, and I'll buy this one back someday), Space Shuttle, and Alien Poker. Clearly, I sold some pretty decent games along the way to my big three, but Taxi and High Speed were just two I couldn't stomach letting go of.

My Taxi has a GREAT cab...except for the front. Unfortunately, it sounds like that's going to be almost impossible to match, so I haven't really decided how I want to handle it. It's a future project anyway because my Eight Ball Deluxe cab is rough and I already have the stencil kit to redo it. My Taxi playfield is pretty typical of mylar system 11 games, IMO: beautiful under the mylar, stained/off-colored outside of it. Not terribly worn in the pop area which is nice. I'd love to pull my mylar and go through the process of fixing/clearing it, but at this point I'm not even brave enough to pull the mylar. Someday, though..

#2430 3 years ago

Do you have a link to the buttons with the e-clip on them?

I think this one, but picture doesn’t show eclip. I guess I figured I’d grind it down to get button out of it didn’t have eclip. Btw, I did try using Easter color dye on white button and it didn’t work, LOL.

https://www.arcadeshop.com/i/571/push-button-leaf-switch-green.htm

#2431 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I think this one, but picture doesn’t show eclip. I guess I figured I’d grind it down to get button out of it didn’t have eclip. Btw, I did try using Easter color dye on white button and it didn’t work, LOL.

Green sharpie?

#2432 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Taxi is a phenomenal game. It and High Speed are definitely my favorite Sys11 games I've played (although I haven't played Banzai Run or some of the more elusive titles). I teetered with selling my Taxi (as well as my High Speed, tbh) to chase bigger fish (Tron, Metallica, and as it ended up, a Black Knight Sword of Rage)

Sounds similar to the situation I'm in. I want a newer Stern or JJ, but I have to get rid of something to do it. I won't get rid of my Comet (even though most don't rate it very highly) It was the game that got me into pinball and I have a 10/10 cab and BG. The PF is okay, but I will do a swap if I can ever come across a NOS PF for it. The comet is staying put forever (this is the 4th one I've owned and in the best condition, by a mile)

I fell in love with Taxi pretty quickly and don't see it going anywhere unless I find one in better condition to replace it with. That leaves only my Bride of Pinbot, which was another favorite of mine as a kid and my Tommy as the options to sell. Neither one I really want to part with either. I suppose I will end up moving on from the BOP as that one is in kinda rough shape in areas (although it plays great).

Really, I just need more room so I don't have to sell any of them... oh, and more money - lol

#2433 3 years ago

Sounds similar to the situation I'm in. I want a newer Stern or JJ, but I have to get rid of something to do it. I won't get rid of my Comet (even though most don't rate it very highly) It was the game that got me into pinball and I have a 10/10 cab and BG. The PF is okay, but I will do a swap if I can ever come across a NOS PF for it. The comet is staying put forever (this is the 4th one I've owned and in the best condition, by a mile)
I fell in love with Taxi pretty quickly and don't see it going anywhere unless I find one in better condition to replace it with. That leaves only my Bride of Pinbot, which was another favorite of mine as a kid and my Tommy as the options to sell. Neither one I really want to part with either. I suppose I will end up moving on from the BOP as that one is in kinda rough shape in areas (although it plays great).
Really, I just need more room so I don't have to sell any of them... oh, and more money - lol

Hahahahahaha that's my situation now. I'm basically out of space (there's MAAAAAAAAAAAYBE room for one more, but it's not ideal) or I need to start getting creative with where they get put. But I'm liking the collection: High Speed (hardtop), Eight Ball Deluxe (hardtop), Taxi, World Cup Soccer, Tron, Black Knight Sword of Rage Premium, and Metallica Premium. I'm a bit heavy on similar Borg titles maybe but I feel that's a solid representation across eras and I'm a huge fan of Tron/daft punk and Metallica. Just need a classic Stern, like meteor I sold, back

#2434 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I contacted them, and indeed they said that the green buttons do have the e-clip on them.

So, I ordered a few.

Thanks!

#2435 3 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Having them scan the decal and match the paint is probably your best bet. I’ve read that some paint stores can even make a custom rattle can if you don’t want to use an HVLP setup.
I used Radcals but they won’t scan. I ended up having to play with the paint mixture to get it right.

The art director here (@pinballgoddess) has stated that the inner cab should be black to match the inner head black.

This has opened up a huge dialog of painting the cab black and powder coating all the armor black.

I think that it will be stunning in black, so that's the way we are doing it for now.

Ill post the resto when I get all the parts together.

#2436 3 years ago

I redid mine with powder coat gloss black armor (except coin door). Decals, then clear coated with 4 coats of 2-part clear. Buffed & waxed. I took my decal down to Home Depot. They custom mixed me a quart of oil based pain. CPR mirrored backglass (not 100% happy with that), however, my original translite was damaged

DSCN8627 (resized).JPGDSCN8627 (resized).JPGDSCN8628 (resized).JPGDSCN8628 (resized).JPGDSCN8629 (resized).JPGDSCN8629 (resized).JPGDSCN8633 (resized).JPGDSCN8633 (resized).JPG
#2437 3 years ago

Good for me. Any playing working taxi is good.

#2438 3 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

CPR mirrored backglass (not 100% happy with that), however, my original translite was damaged

Curious why you're not happy with the mirrored backglass? I was considering getting one, so I'm curious.

#2439 3 years ago

Kerry_Richard all of those System 11 games on the left (Whirlwind, Earthshaker, Funhouse) are the ones that I need to complete my Sys 11 fantasy lineup. SO JEALOUS!

#2440 3 years ago

I redid mine with powder coat gloss black armor (except coin door). Decals, then clear coated with 4 coats of 2-part clear. Buffed & waxed. I took my decal down to Home Depot. They custom mixed me a quart of oil based pain. CPR mirrored backglass (not 100% happy with that), however, my original translite was damaged
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks SHARP!

Its pretty much what our current vision is except Pinballgoddess wants the inner cab sides to be black to match the backbox.

Might be too much black?

I dunno, once you go black...

#2441 3 years ago

Curious why you're not happy with the mirrored backglass? I was considering getting one, so I'm curious.

The one I got was very pale(?), faded(?) out of focus(?) (I'm struggling for the correct explanation). The details are very faint. Like the cab driver has hairy knuckles and Marilyn has her famous mole on her face... neither of these are visible in my CPR translite. I've heard some batches were poor. This translite came with my game when I bought it.

#2442 3 years ago

The one I got was very pale(?), faded(?) out of focus(?) (I'm struggling for the correct explanation). The details are very faint. Like the cab driver has hairy knuckles and Marilyn has her famous mole on her face... neither of these are visible in my CPR translite. I've heard some batches were poor. This translite came with my game when I bought it.

I ordered a CPR glass and its coming in the mail.

From your pictures, it does look pale.

Since I just have a thin reworked poster instead of the original translite, I needed it.

Ill post good pictures of it when it comes.

Hopefully its a proper rendition of the translite.

If mine is a lot better than yours, you might ask for a replacement from CPR.

Oddly my CPR Diner glass and my Funhouse glass are fairly rich in color saturation. They look great.

#2443 3 years ago

I really wanted to buy the mirrored World Cup Soccer glass but I've heard it's.....Meh. So I haven't forked over the cash. But I frequently consider it.

#2444 3 years ago

I ordered a CPR glass and its coming in the mail.
From your pictures, it does look pale.
Since I just have a thin reworked poster instead of the original translite, I needed it.
Ill post good pictures of it when it comes.
Hopefully its a proper rendition of the translite.
If mine is a lot better than yours, you might ask for a replacement from CPR.
Oddly my CPR Diner glass and my Funhouse glass are fairly rich in color saturation. They look great.

Also my TAF and IJ CPR glasd look amazing!

#2445 3 years ago

My CPR Taxi glass lacks the fine detail of the translite. It’s really noticeable in Marilyn’s hair. Debating on whether to install the new glass or the original translite.

#2446 3 years ago

My cpr glass is also as everyone else describes, I always describe it as being in soft focus. It was the first batch a few years ago. It’s either that or have my Lola translite with Marylin playfield. Not sure what’s worse to be fair

#2447 3 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

My cpr glass is also as everyone else describes, I always describe it as being in soft focus. It was the first batch a few years ago. It’s either that or have my Lola translite with Marylin playfield. Not sure what’s worse to be fair

Its the only game in town for now...

#2448 3 years ago

CPR glass came today.

I put on the ststem 11 trim from pinball life.

It looks amazing to me, colors are quite a bit richer than in the photos, picture rotator doesnt work yet:
20210423_140602 (resized).jpg20210423_140602 (resized).jpg20210423_140613 (resized).jpg20210423_140613 (resized).jpg20210423_140620 (resized).jpg20210423_140620 (resized).jpg20210423_140628 (resized).jpg20210423_140628 (resized).jpg

#2449 3 years ago

Picture with it lit.
I love the pinbot mirror treatment and marilyns earrings in mirror.

Ill redo the LEDs in the backbox better, down the road.

For now, i rrally like the CPR glass!

20210423_165452 (resized).jpg20210423_165452 (resized).jpg

#2450 3 years ago

Picture with it lit.
I love the pinbot mirror treatment and marilyns earrings in mirror.
Ill redo the LEDs in the backbox better, down the road.
For now, i rrally like the CPR glass!
[quoted image]

I like mine too, I think overall CPR did a pretty good job with it. I like the mirroring a lot, but I do wish the colors were a little more vibrant.

Here's a question for everyone- did Williams ever make a real backglass for Taxi, or was it only a translite? I thought my original was an actual backglass but it turned out to be a translite.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 22.50
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 74.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/49?hl=sawbill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.