IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 74.
#2151 3 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

Definitely crispy. Q75 is left bumper and Q77 lower bumper, I'd look for something common there. Test both transistors and R104. The resistors R96-98 look like they need to be reflowed. Looks like there may be a trace on the back of the board that saw some heat too.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the help. Do you think I should just replace the transistors? If so, any idea of the part number? I can't see to locate it on Marcos

#2152 3 years ago

What is supposed to be on the backglass Taxi meter display? I was under the impression that it shows the jack pot value between balls. During play I thought it was supposed to show the bonus racking up slowly, like a taxi fare. Mine stubbornly just shows the jackpot value 100% of the time. I am using updated ROMs bought from someone on Pinside and the game plays normally from what I can tell except for this one aspect.

#2153 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

What is supposed to be on the backglass Taxi meter display? I was under the impression that it shows the jack pot value between balls. During play I thought it was supposed to show the bonus racking up slowly, like a taxi fare. Mine stubbornly just shows the jackpot value 100% of the time. I am using updated ROMs bought from someone on Pinside and the game plays normally from what I can tell except for this one aspect.

Correct, it shows the bonus slowly building points in addition to the jackpot.

#2154 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Which displays do you have? If you have new pin led displays, the jackpot counter won’t show the meter bonus racking up. If you read back on this thread, there is work around to combat this but involves cutting diodes on the board or something like that. Mine has new displays and won’t show it either. Tempted to find an original glass display to have it back

#2155 3 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Which displays do you have? If you have new pin led displays, the jackpot counter won’t show the meter bonus racking up. If you read back on this thread, there is work around to combat this but involves cutting diodes on the board or something like that. Mine has new displays and won’t show it either. Tempted to find an original glass display to have it back

Wow, I was totally unaware of that and yes I have a new led display. I will try to find it in this thread.

Edit: Found the ribbon cable, moved it over and now I have the rolling taxi fare display as it is supposed to be.

#2156 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Wow, I was totally unaware of that and yes I have a new led display. I will try to find it in this thread.
Edit: Found the ribbon cable, moved it over and now I have the rolling taxi fare display as it is supposed to be.

Awesome mate. And I didn’t know about the ribbon cable thing!!! What do I need to do.

#2157 3 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Awesome mate. And I didn’t know about the ribbon cable thing!!! What do I need to do.

This post shows the switch to make. I guess the pinscore display can drive two remote regular displays. In this case, the left one displays differently than the right one. I had connected it up like my old display and that causes the display to get locked onto just showing the jackpot.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/30#post-4912555

#2158 3 years ago

Just joined the club. Based on what I'm reading here I have a feeling that my dead jackpot display can't simply be replaced with this standalone pinscore module. The product I've linked says it replaces AS-2518-58, but the Taxi manual has different part numbers. Am I left with a choice between sourcing replacement glass to solder on my existing slave board vs. a full $269 pinscore replacement? I'll swap displays with a Police Force I have access to just to be sure, but given how well the other displays work I think it's probably blown.

IMG_3841.jpgIMG_3841.jpg
#2159 3 years ago

I`d change it out with X-pin displays. Mine look great

#2160 3 years ago
Quoted from TK2012:

I`d change it out with X-pin displays. Mine look great

Also agree with X-Pin. Looks great and is plug and play.

#2161 3 years ago

After moving taxi today we set the game backup and one of the digits on both displays is missing. We tried reseating the ribbon cables but that did not do anything any thoughts?

Edit: Display is a new Xpin LED display working fine before the move.
received_3449352388441243 (resized).jpegreceived_3449352388441243 (resized).jpeg

#2162 3 years ago

I would guess it is a single pin on the data pins coming from the processor card. Try wiggling each individual wire at the connector at the processor card, both in and out of the interconnect board as well as at the main display end. It is unlikely to be the ribbon cable since the remote display just displays what made it to the main display.

#2163 3 years ago

Does anyone else have this second spring on their catapult mech? It’s not in the manual and I don’t see it in stock pics of the mech.

Maybe an op added it at some point to tone down the catapult power?

34964D8C-649F-4BBA-BFDB-5834B9E2258B (resized).jpeg34964D8C-649F-4BBA-BFDB-5834B9E2258B (resized).jpeg713E1201-B8F9-4ABF-AD5A-292D1BFC6A1B (resized).jpeg713E1201-B8F9-4ABF-AD5A-292D1BFC6A1B (resized).jpeg
#2164 3 years ago

No extra spring on mine.

#2165 3 years ago

That is definitely a user add on. Do not think that would be a OEM way of increasing spring strength.

#2166 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I would guess it is a single pin on the data pins coming from the processor card. Try wiggling each individual wire at the connector at the processor card, both in and out of the interconnect board as well as at the main display end. It is unlikely to be the ribbon cable since the remote display just displays what made it to the main display.

Ended up just being a flaky ribbon cable. It took several times reseating it to come back on.

Fixed now.

#2167 3 years ago

Great post on the shooter adjustment. I still need to tackle mine, I've just been busy.. And kind of lazy. Unfortunately both taxi and high speed have taken backseats in my lineup lately due to gremlins I'm just too lazy/frustrated to address. But I'm going to revisit this shooter nonsense soon, because my game works great otherwise. I agree, having crappy spinout performance really does sour the gameplay. It's not so much, to me, that the scores themselves are affected (if yours works so well that you can go well past 100k and you hit 1-25k a bunch, you're basically where I am with a crappy plunge). But it really irritates me seeing it not work worth a damn, ESPECIALLY considering it worked great before I rebuilt it and has been crap since. Gah! I will beat you, shooter assembly!

#2168 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

But it really irritates me seeing it not work worth a damn, ESPECIALLY considering it worked great before I rebuilt it and has been crap since. Gah! I will beat you, shooter assembly!

I struggled with mine forever until i did a slo-mo video of the shooting and realized that the extensive wear in the shooter lane was causing the ball to bounce a little laterally and taking the momentum away. Good luck finding your hidden cause!

#2169 3 years ago

Can anyone snap a picture of their knocker assembly and location please? Mine is missing and I would like to put it back in.

#2170 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Can anyone snap a picture of their knocker assembly and location please? Mine is missing and I would like to put it back in.

29534C81-9C1B-4F54-8DF3-C86EFCCC5071 (resized).jpeg29534C81-9C1B-4F54-8DF3-C86EFCCC5071 (resized).jpeg

#2171 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

[quoted image]

Is that at the top?

#2172 3 years ago

Top left

#2173 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Is that at the top?

Quoted from bowtech:

Is that at the top?

Yeah top left. Should be the same in your F-14

#2174 3 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

I struggled with mine forever until i did a slo-mo video of the shooting and realized that the extensive wear in the shooter lane was causing the ball to bounce a little laterally and taking the momentum away. Good luck finding your hidden cause!

Yeah I need to record mine too. It almost seems like the shooter rod isn't pushed far enough forward..or something. There's a noticeable GAP when the ball shoots out. The rubber sits behind the metal bracket at rest... Something is way off.

Neither my Space Shuttle nor my High Speed look like this. Shuttle seems to have the rod positioned further back (but it's a much less aggressive launch, so maybe it's less noticeable?) while high speed is further forward.

Taxi at rest
IMG_20200903_100807 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_100807 (resized).jpg

Taxi with me pushing forward against the spring
IMG_20200903_100950 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_100950 (resized).jpg

Shuttle at rest
IMG_20200903_100827 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_100827 (resized).jpg

High speed at rest
IMG_20200903_100849 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_100849 (resized).jpg

#2175 3 years ago

Yeah I need to record mine too. It almost seems like the shooter rod isn't pushed far enough forward..or something. There's a noticeable GAP when the ball shoots out. The rubber sits behind the metal bracket at rest... Something is way off.
Neither my Space Shuttle nor my High Speed look like this. Shuttle seems to have the rod positioned further back (but it's a much less aggressive launch, so maybe it's less noticeable?) while high speed is further forward.
Taxi at rest
[quoted image]
Taxi with me pushing forward against the spring
[quoted image]
Shuttle at rest
[quoted image]
High speed at rest
[quoted image]

Is the switch holding it up? Mine rest all the way back against the plate

#2176 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Is the switch holding it up? Mine rest all the way back against the plate

I mean, I don't think so... I've tried manually moving the ball back also it iirc when I do that it's either 1 or ZERO rotations, for whatever reason. With this gap as is I usually get 10, 25, or 50K.

#2177 3 years ago

Hard to see but this is what mine looks like. It’s resting on the shooter tip and mine has wrapped around to as much as 25k

When I pull back it goes all the way against the plate
8FFD9D31-F0D8-4640-A8F4-8650A366362F (resized).jpeg8FFD9D31-F0D8-4640-A8F4-8650A366362F (resized).jpeg
65DA9310-5F8C-4A38-A228-E5BAAA08066F (resized).jpeg65DA9310-5F8C-4A38-A228-E5BAAA08066F (resized).jpeg

#2178 3 years ago

Doesn't seem to be hung up on the switch, that's just where it settles. No idea why.

If I push the ball down closer to the rod, I get this

Comparing taxi, shuttle, and high speed. Shuttle sure sounds and feels the smoothest. High speed makes a bit more noise but still feels fluid, and the ball sits against the shooter rubber.

IMG_20200903_202009 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_202009 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_202021 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_202021 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_202442 (resized).jpgIMG_20200903_202442 (resized).jpg
#2179 3 years ago

Doesn't seem to be hung up on the switch, that's just where it settles. No idea why.

If I push the ball down closer to the rod, I get this
Comparing taxi, shuttle, and high speed. Shuttle sure sounds and feels the smoothest. High speed makes a bit more noise but still feels fluid, and the ball sits against the shooter rubber.

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Do you by chance have a new barrel spring on it? I’m pretty sure they are a bit stiffer, larger than originals which could contribute the the plungers resting position.

#2180 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Do you by chance have a new barrel spring on it? I’m pretty sure they are a bit stiffer, larger than originals which could contribute the the plungers resting position.

Yes. I replaced all of the parts except the washers.

#2181 3 years ago

Yes. I replaced all of the parts except the washers.

If you still have the original barrel spring you might try putting it back on to see if it helps with the plunger position or see if you can sacrifice one from a different game. I know Taxi is one you want all the “oomf” you can get and the new ones are bigger and stiffer taking away some oomf

#2182 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

If you still have the original barrel spring you might try putting it back on to see if it helps with the plunger position or see if you can sacrifice one from a different game. I know Taxi is one you want all the “oomf” you can get and the new ones are bigger and stiffer taking away some oomf

The ball definitely seems to sit closer to the rod with that old spring back in, but the results aren't a whole lot better than what I got when I pushed the ball closer to the plunger with the new spring. 10k seems to be about the max now.

#2183 3 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

My board is made by Gulf Pinball, purchased from Marco's. I replaced my old board since it had some burnt and melted connectors. It wasn't terrible, but since I'm doing a full restoration I prefer to use new parts where I can.

Yes the wires do need to be connected to the correct pins. It appears in your case that on J6 the hacker put each wire between 2 pins and then used a blob of solder to connect the wire to both pins to compensate for the looping wires. If everything on your machine is working correctly then at least the hacker attached the wires to the correct pins. You'll just need to note which pin each wire is connected to (J6-1, J6-2, etc). For your new board you'll need to build a .156 connector, either IDC or crimp & stuff. The looping wires make the crimp & stuff like I have a little tricky because you'll need to crimp 2 wires into 1 pin or do a mid-wire insulation removal and make a "Y" connection.
This website has good pics and explanation:
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Headers.2C_Housings.2C_and_Crimping

Hey there!
I have two connectors rectified, and now im on to the next HACK job, lol.
man! i shoulda known.
Looks like i need a new C-11998-1 RELAY board.
Anyone recommend a place to get a new one? Also
can someone take pics of how the wires SHOULD go into the connector, as they hot wired two more into the back and
there was one completely burnt off.
thanks again!
humbly,
Streetkid

taxia (resized).jpgtaxia (resized).jpgtaxib (resized).jpgtaxib (resized).jpgtaxic (resized).jpgtaxic (resized).jpg
#2184 3 years ago

I had pretty much the same issue, got a new relay board here and transferred everything over:

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/electronics/boards/williams/5768-12243-00.html

Will grab a pic tomorrow if someone doesn't have it by then

#2185 3 years ago

It's funny that you seem to have all the same problems I started out with!

When I bought my game, I noticed something was missing under the pf in the lower right corner. The previous owner said that he wasn't sure what it was, but that everything was working fine without it. After getting it home I figured out that it was the relay board and that it controls GI flashing. My GI was hacked permanently on. I'm guessing the board burned up like yours or an op scavenged it.

After doing some research, I found that they are pretty much impossible to find. @barr993's suggestion will work just fine. Another option is the GI-OCD board made by @herg. He's a really knowledgeable guy and helped me through my hacked mess.

IMG_3380 (resized).JPGIMG_3380 (resized).JPGIMG_3379 (resized).JPGIMG_3379 (resized).JPGIMG_3381 (resized).JPGIMG_3381 (resized).JPGIMG_3385 (resized).JPGIMG_3385 (resized).JPGIMG_3450 (resized).JPGIMG_3450 (resized).JPG
#2186 3 years ago

You can get these G.I. relay boards at Great Lakes modular.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#2187 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

You can get these G.I. relay boards at Great Lakes modular.
[quoted image]

I found that site during my search. They are no longer in business, but leave the site up for some reason.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/great-lakes-modular-still-in-business

#2188 3 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

It's funny that you seem to have all the same problems I started out with!
When I bought my game, I noticed something was missing under the pf in the lower right corner. The previous owner said that he wasn't sure what it was, but that everything was working fine without it. After getting it home I figured out that it was the relay board and that it controls GI flashing. My GI was hacked permanently on. I'm guessing the board burned up like yours or an op scavenged it.
After doing some research, I found that they are pretty much impossible to find. barr993's suggestion will work just fine. Another option is the GI-OCD board made by herg. He's a really knowledgeable guy and helped me through my hacked mess.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

WOW. Your relay board was completely missing! I am definitely a little wary of what else I may run into.
The CAB inserts aren't lighting up currently, the Skills Shot bonus level 1,5,10,25,50etc. on the red spinout lane lights aren't working,
and none of the inserts in the middle of the playfield are lighting up as well.
I am hoping the relay board fixes most of this? hahaha. Thank you again Bellagio for your help,(and all you guys)
its priceless when your not an expert like myself, lol. This Taxi Club is amazing!
thanks again,
humbly,
matt

#2189 3 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

I found that site during my search. They are no longer in business, but leave the site up for some reason.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/great-lakes-modular-still-in-business

Well shit, that sucks. I had no idea. Last thing I ordered from them was years ago and was very happy to find someone making these unique type of boards.

#2190 3 years ago

Big daddy enterprises is making relay boards. Not sure if they are for sale yet but I saw them in a post on Facebook

#2191 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Big daddy enterprises is making relay boards. Not sure if they are for sale yet but I saw them in a post on Facebook

Was just about to throw that out there! He's making ALL KINDS of great stuff these days.

#2192 3 years ago

The ball definitely seems to sit closer to the rod with that old spring back in, but the results aren't a whole lot better than what I got when I pushed the ball closer to the plunger with the new spring. 10k seems to be about the max now.

Is the rod dead center or is it hitting a little high? I had to put a quarter behind my shooter plate to get it to work so good by lowering the tip a little more.

#2193 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Is the rod dead center or is it hitting a little high? I had to put a quarter behind my shooter plate to get it to work so good by lowering the tip a little more.

I mean, I thought it was centered but maybe not? I keep hearing people say they placed things there, but I'm not understanding. Mind taking a pic when you can?

#2194 3 years ago

So what I did was loosen the shooter plate, stick a quarter behind it on the bottom and tighten back down

45EB0C49-1AEE-45D7-949A-195C6586DA08 (resized).jpeg45EB0C49-1AEE-45D7-949A-195C6586DA08 (resized).jpeg
#2195 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

So what I did was loosen the shooter plate, stick a quarter behind it on the bottom and tighten back down
[quoted image]

That is a large adjustment. I wonder why it is so far off. Is the cabinet wood warped? Is the playfield not aligned?

I would think you would not have to make such a large adjustment unless something else is off alignment.

#2196 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

That is a large adjustment. I wonder why it is so far off. Is the cabinet wood warped? Is the playfield not aligned?
I would think you would not have to make such a large adjustment unless something else is off alignment.

Cabinet feels solid and aligned playfield looks like it is as well and doesn’t scrape on way down. Someone said over time the brackets holding the playfield can bend which make it sit lower than it should. I’ve used this method on 2 Taxi machines with success in making it roll over well past 100k. On the one pictured it previously maxed out at 75k and on the other machine it maxed out at 25k and passenger. Not sure why it works but it does.

#2197 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Cabinet feels solid and aligned playfield looks like it is as well and doesn’t scrape on way down. Someone said over time the brackets holding the playfield can bend which make it sit lower than it should.

Are you referring to the hanger brackets? If so, I would bend those back to original shape and see how that works.

#2198 3 years ago

For anyone looking to join the club in the Northeast...

Machine - For Sale
Taxi Archived
Partially shopped/refurbished - “Nice player's Taxi f/s in Woodbury, CT. Game has been shopped with clear silicon rubber and warm white LED's. Has a new rottendog MPU and new displays. Also new slingshot plasti...”
2020-09-09
Woodbury, CT
2,500 (OBO)
Archived after: 9 days
Viewed: 473 times

#2199 3 years ago

Well I am not new to the Taxi Club, I have owned Taxi for about 8 Years now and its time to Restore her

The Lock Down bar will be highly Polished & Side rails will be Shiny Stainless

Problem I am having is the Legs for the Machine I am unsure if I want to go with the Original Chrome Legs or Black Powder Coat , I like Both , can you guys offer your opinion cheers

#2200 3 years ago

I personally think Taxi looks really good with black legs, rails and lockdown bar. I’m not normally one for powder coat but like that combo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 74.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.