IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 74.
#1951 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I got back to playing my Taxi again finally after finally putting it back together. I get such a varying behaviour from the from the plunger it really is annoying me. I spent a lot of time getting it working really well (being able to wrap around the bowl shot so it is really a skill shot), only to find it could barely go around 3-4 times. After playing it for a while it noticeably changed for the better and then got worse again after that. I tried making some alignment changes again and got things working better but the behaviour is constantly drifting.
Is this just the nature of the beast? This is the only machine I have that I have really ever had to give thought to making the plunger work.

That's why you need an MRS in that spinout ramp! That takes some of the variability from the Cherry switch....

#1952 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I got back to playing my Taxi again finally after finally putting it back together. I get such a varying behaviour from the from the plunger it really is annoying me. I spent a lot of time getting it working really well (being able to wrap around the bowl shot so it is really a skill shot), only to find it could barely go around 3-4 times. After playing it for a while it noticeably changed for the better and then got worse again after that. I tried making some alignment changes again and got things working better but the behaviour is constantly drifting.
Is this just the nature of the beast? This is the only machine I have that I have really ever had to give thought to making the plunger work.

I've found on mine it's less a problem with the plunger rod alignment and more of an issue with the wire form slowing mine down. After adjusting mine its whips around the bowl enough times to go all the way through the awards and back to the 25k when I do a full plunge.

#1953 3 years ago

It's one of the most annoying things about the game.

Taxi and pinbot are a pain to line up the skill shots.

#1954 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I've found on mine it's less a problem with the plunger rod alignment and more of an issue with the wire form slowing mine down. After adjusting mine its whips around the bowl enough times to go all the way through the awards and back to the 25k when I do a full plunge.

I have been doing slow motion clips repeatedly of the ball launch. Definitely the transition from wood to wireform loses energy. The ball can rattle left/right quite a bit. I dial in the plunger, opened up the cabinet opening to allow full adjustment that I needed. At one point I had the ball going around easily 20 times, spinning like crazy above the switch. But eventually the thing drifted somehow. I just fired the game up and could only get 3-4 spins. During the game it got better and better, then worse again over the course of 20 minutes. Driving me crazy.

I find my iPhone slo-mo not quite slow enough. Wish I could do even slower.

#1955 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have been doing slow motion clips repeatedly of the ball launch. Definitely the transition from wood to wireform loses energy. The ball can rattle left/right quite a bit. I dial in the plunger, opened up the cabinet opening to allow full adjustment that I needed. At one point I had the ball going around easily 20 times, spinning like crazy above the switch. But eventually the thing drifted somehow. I just fired the game up and could only get 3-4 spins. During the game it got better and better, then worse again over the course of 20 minutes. Driving me crazy.

Do slow mo and then manually move the video instead of just letting it play. Alternatively try sticking a quarter behind the plunger housing on the outside of the cabinet. It worked for me.

#1956 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Also, check that your plunger rod isnt bent... I've had that happen before on a brand new rod. Just spin it in the housing and see if the rubber end moves side to side.

#1957 3 years ago

Decided to set up Taxi where it belongs: the street.

Friends came over to play a little pre-run pinball before it gets sent out for a playfield swap!

587B5A6B-63A5-4478-A8E1-82A7FCD1B696 (resized).jpeg587B5A6B-63A5-4478-A8E1-82A7FCD1B696 (resized).jpeg979312A6-8BF1-4E88-9A9A-F8C4FF3F1D53 (resized).jpeg979312A6-8BF1-4E88-9A9A-F8C4FF3F1D53 (resized).jpeg
#1958 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Check hangers where the playfield locks in under the lock bar. Over time these get stretched out and sag. A lot of the times on Taxi the spinout shot goes to crap and nobody knows why. It is because these brackets sag lowering the front of the playfield beyond what can be compensated for by the shooter assembly. Fix that and things should work for you. The shooter tip has to be centered for maximum rotations. Anyone adding shims or coins on the shooter assembly has sagging hangers.

#1959 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Check hangers where the playfield locks in under the lock bar. Over time these get stretched out and sag. A lot of the times on Taxi the spinout shot goes to crap and nobody knows why. It is because these brackets sag lowering the front of the playfield beyond what can be compensated for by the shooter assembly. Fix that and things should work for you. The shooter tip has to be centered for maximum rotations. Anyone adding shims or coins on the shooter assembly has sagging hangers.

You are absolutely correct and I have spent quite a bit of time adjusting them already. They were too low when I started. I also installed a new plunger housing when I discovered the original was angled to the right a bit. The new one is straight. I have the plunger centered in the middle of the ball. I keep thinking it should hit slightly low to lift it a bit or maybe a little high to help it spin rather than skid forward.

#1960 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

You are absolutely correct and I have spent quite a bit of time adjusting them already. They were too low when I started. I also installed a new plunger housing when I discovered the original was angled to the right a bit. The new one is straight. I have the plunger centered in the middle of the ball. I keep thinking it should hit slightly low to lift it a bit or maybe a little high to help it spin rather than skid forward.

Obvious question but do you have the correct spring? Another thing to check is the shooter apron. Make sure that is isn't bent oddly. After all the ball rests on it. The last thing is the shooter tip. Titan tips are a little soft for Taxi. Might have to go old school rubber.

#1961 3 years ago

How do you fix the hangers?

#1962 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

How do you fix the hangers?

Take them off and body hammer them back to shape. All angles should be 90 degrees. Add washers to bottom if you need more lift when you put it back together.

#1963 3 years ago

Obvious question but do you have the correct spring? Another thing to check is the shooter apron. Make sure that is isn't bent oddly. After all the ball rests on it. The last thing is the shooter tip. Titan tips are a little soft for Taxi. Might have to go old school rubber.

I have every spring choice from Marcos. Right now I am using the second softest one. You are right about the tip, I am using Titan. I will have to see if I have any older ones.

Just joking but maybe a pool cue tip right on the metal shaft would work.

#1964 3 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have every spring choice from Marcos. Right now I am using the second softest one. You are right about the tip, I am using Titan. I will have to see if I have any older ones.
Just joking but maybe a pool cue tip right on the metal shaft would work.

I believe Taxi uses the red spring which is the strongest.

#1965 3 years ago

What is the value of the capacitor on the cabinet flipper leaf switch?

#1966 3 years ago

Just joined the club!!!!

The game is player's condition, and needs some TLC to get it back to 100% working. All part of the fun!

Just a question on lane guides... did Taxi use a specific shade of blue? Looking at this pic the one that has been replaced clearly doesn't match the other three. I know blue plastics can be hit/miss from when I bought some pop bumper covers for my DW. But it would be nice to match the originals.

Cheers.

20200614_200757 (resized).jpg20200614_200757 (resized).jpg

#1967 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

But it would be nice to match the originals.
Cheers.
[quoted image]

Just buy 4 new ones. Odds are they will all match eachother.

#1968 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Just buy 4 new ones. Odds are they will all match eachother.

Done that, my observations is that blue plastics can be crappy like the third one in that photo. The bumper caps I bought had the slightest blue haze, but were almost opaque.

#1969 3 years ago

What's people's opinion on pop number wear.

Leave it alone, as it's now in a home environment. Or add some mylar rings so it doesn't get any worse?

20200616_214537 (resized).jpg20200616_214537 (resized).jpg
#1970 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

What's people's opinion on pop number wear.
Leave it alone, as it's now in a home environment. Or add some mylar rings so it doesn't get any worse?
[quoted image]

There used to be a decal kit available for the Taxi pop bumper area that had the playfield art printed on them. It covered up the problem area nicely. Maybe somebody still has a set or knows a source for them.

#1971 3 years ago

There used to be a decal kit available for the Taxi pop bumper area that had the playfield art printed on them. It covered up the problem area nicely. Maybe somebody still has a set or knows a source for them.

Thanks man I didn't know that. Will get searching for one.

#1972 3 years ago

Hardtop is on.
Time to rebuild playfield but need to clean the metals and replace coil sleeves under the playfield

DSC_2243 (resized).JPGDSC_2243 (resized).JPGDSC_2242 (resized).JPGDSC_2242 (resized).JPG
#1973 3 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

Hardtop is on.
Time to rebuild playfield but need to clean the metals and replace coil sleeves under the playfield
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm really interested to hear how this works out, please keep us posted!!

Edit: They don't ship to the UK - balls!!!

Edit again: How did you get yours to Germany?

#1974 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

They ship worldwide. You need to email him for shipment quote.
Fairly easy to install but you need to trim some screw holes to match them.

#1975 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Off topic but I live in Belgium not Germany.
Stripes are horizontal for German flag

#1976 3 years ago

Cleaned the flipper assembly and upgraded it to fliptronic style with extension spring.

DSC_2254 (resized).JPGDSC_2254 (resized).JPG
#1977 3 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

Off topic but I live in Belgium not Germany.
Stripes are horizontal for German flag

Apologies for that, my mistake.

Thanks for the info!

#1978 3 years ago

Trying to join the club. What’s a non working, no power up example in decent cosmetic condition worth?

#1979 3 years ago

Can anyone confirm if a wireform should go here? In the middle of a Hardtop install and wasn’t there on tear down. Or if not what should be here?

TIA!

A8590591-79E2-4213-8060-FA35772CE64F (resized).jpegA8590591-79E2-4213-8060-FA35772CE64F (resized).jpeg
#1980 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Can anyone confirm if a wireform should go here? In the middle of a Hardtop install and wasn’t there on tear down. Or if not what should be here?
TIA!
[quoted image]

From my teardown

58038706-073F-40D2-ADCD-93B92BBC7982 (resized).jpeg58038706-073F-40D2-ADCD-93B92BBC7982 (resized).jpeg

#1981 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

From my teardown
[quoted image]

Thank you!

#1982 3 years ago
Quoted from goodypin18:

Trying to join the club. What’s a non working, no power up example in decent cosmetic condition worth?

I'd say 1200 to1500. I wouldn't do much more than that not knowing what you'll have to spend to get it running. If you get it for 1K or less you should be in good shape.

#1983 3 years ago

Rebuilding the playfield.

Also have a problem with my two ball guide lanes world assembly on my ramps.
Can somebody help me to idetify the partnumber of the little screw and rivet please.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3zNwBhzfTqAhgdoc7

DSC_2273 (resized).JPGDSC_2273 (resized).JPG
#1984 3 years ago

End of June Special @ M&M Creations!!!

We are offering the Taxi Spinout MRS for $20 (plus shipping) from now until the end of June. Simply PM me. That's $10 off the regular price - sale ends noon (EST) on 7/1.

Thanks!

Matt

#1985 3 years ago

This may have already been addressed but I noticed on my Taxi when a ball is shot hard directly into the Santa kickout hole, a lot of the time (more than half), it bounces right back out. What causes this and is there a way to minimize this from happening? I assume part of the problem is the wood on the front edge of the kickout hole is worn down and has less vertical height to prevent the ball from rolling back out. Has anyone experienced this problem or found a fix for it?

#1986 3 years ago

Could somebody share me his Taxi shop out pictures please? Took a lot of pictures but some parts are not clear for me.
Thanks in advance

#1987 3 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

Could somebody share me his Taxi shop out pictures please? Took a lot of pictures but some parts are not clear for me.
Thanks in advance

Maybe some of these will help?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-hardtop-install-with-a-top-side-refresh#post-5696617

#1988 3 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

Thanks in advance

I don't really know how to work Dropbox. See if these work.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6l03xhsus7nq4x0/AABI-NfnkQR9wPtB4Jjv-75Xa?dl=0

#1989 3 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

This may have already been addressed but I noticed on my Taxi when a ball is shot hard directly into the Santa kickout hole, a lot of the time (more than half), it bounces right back out. What causes this and is there a way to minimize this from happening? I assume part of the problem is the wood on the front edge of the kickout hole is worn down and has less vertical height to prevent the ball from rolling back out. Has anyone experienced this problem or found a fix for it?

I have the same issue, normally its not too bad when I hit it from the Santa side but when I hit it from the Gorbie side it's a lot more problematic. I've thought about trying to place a foam dot on the back of the bracket to see if it might deaden the momentum of the ball a little more.

Its possible just replacing or adjusting the metal bracket may help a lot too. I have some foam dots. I will test my theory and report back how my results pan put.

#1990 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I have the same issue, normally its not too bad when I hit it from the Santa side but when I hit it from the Gorbie side it's a lot more problematic. I've thought about trying to place a foam dot on the back of the bracket to see if it might deaden the momentum of the ball a little more.
Its possible just replacing or adjusting the metal bracket may help a lot too. I have some foam dots. I will test my theory and report back how my results pan put.

Can't really help here, but just want to confirm that, on my taxi, the ball has never rejected even once to my memory, so it is possible to fix, somehow

#1991 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Can't really help here, but just want to confirm that, on my taxi, the ball has never rejected even once to my memory, so it is possible to fix, somehow

How worn is the front of your saucer?

#1992 3 years ago

Alright so I picked Taxi up on Friday of last week and I've been trying to get through this thread before posting but I'm on page 32 and referenced several other threads and haven't been able to figure this out yet.

I have Speech/callouts, I do not have background music.

I found this thread ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-test-button-on-system-11-games-question#post-987688) and I tried flipping the power off and back on quickly. This worked for me the very first time but maybe only once since then. I have tried it at least 50 more times without luck. I also replaced the C30 capacitor like they mentioned and still no luck.

Initial boot, no bong...

SW1 Sound test produced both test sounds...

Sound test in menu system, no back ground sounds only speech/callouts.

I have read a few other threads that mention U41 is the chip that drives the background music. I missed this when I purchased it but it does look like there is corrosion or at least there was in the past. Doe you guys think this is enough to cause my issues. Or do you know how I could confirm the chip is the issue?

IMG_4883 (resized).jpgIMG_4883 (resized).jpg
#1993 3 years ago

I don't think U41 is related to sound at all, if it's anything like my Whirlwind is. Background sound is probably handled by the external sound board, which is controlled by one of the PIAs over on the left side of the MPU

#1994 3 years ago

Hello,

Can somebody comfirm me that this assembly is wired correctly?
Only one of the 3 buttons work.

Thanks

DSC_2281 (resized).JPGDSC_2281 (resized).JPGDSC_2282 (resized).JPGDSC_2282 (resized).JPG
#1995 3 years ago
Quoted from Y3AG3R:

Alright so I picked Taxi up on Friday of last week and I've been trying to get through this thread before posting but I'm on page 32 and referenced several other threads and haven't been able to figure this out yet.
I have Speech/callouts, I do not have background music.
I found this thread ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-test-button-on-system-11-games-question#post-987688) and I tried flipping the power off and back on quickly. This worked for me the very first time but maybe only once since then. I have tried it at least 50 more times without luck. I also replaced the C30 capacitor like they mentioned and still no luck.
Initial boot, no bong...
SW1 Sound test produced both test sounds...
Sound test in menu system, no back ground sounds only speech/callouts.
I have read a few other threads that mention U41 is the chip that drives the background music. I missed this when I purchased it but it does look like there is corrosion or at least there was in the past. Doe you guys think this is enough to cause my issues. Or do you know how I could confirm the chip is the issue?[quoted image]

My game very occasionally does this, but it's only on ball one. When I drain and plunge ball 2-3, the music starts up. I haven't looked into it.

#1996 3 years ago

That corrosion is pretty bad. It extends all the way down to U36 & U37.

#1997 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

My game very occasionally does this, but it's only on ball one. When I drain and plunge ball 2-3, the music starts up. I haven't looked into it.

Yours is an issue of pressing start before the sound board initialized. If you press start before the bong it will do this

#1998 3 years ago

What size of post sleeves do you use for the yellow posts?
7/8" or 1 1/6"?
I'm talking about the yellow posts under the express lane sign, on the ramp entries and on the Lola drop target bank.

Thanks for the answer.

#1999 3 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

That corrosion is pretty bad. It extends all the way down to U36 & U37.

Yeah I am sending my boards out to get professionally fixed. It's a lot cheaper than buying new boards and I have been told the aftermarket boards have issues. NVRAM will be added to prevent this in the future.

#2000 3 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Just finished my full taxi restoration.. used rad Cal's and hard top.. pretty happy to get taxi back in my life...
She was the first pinball I put in my house, many moons ago...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

LOVE the black powder coat!! This is exactly what i want to do to mine, including the yellow leg bolt washers lol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 74.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.