• 1,793 posts
  • 248 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by V_piscopo
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

There have been 503 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2B201C87-8904-43C3-BAE7-7CC4D6CB6DF9 (resized).jpeg
283B59B8-38AE-40CB-84A4-9564A27BD720 (resized).jpeg
277B996E-6FB2-4AA4-A728-EADA819C93AF (resized).jpeg
44837653-75B2-46CA-9043-456194785782 (resized).jpeg
5F4DC81D-AD5B-4EE8-A147-EA877534BF39 (resized).jpeg
58643E47-FC11-4289-8C6E-ACC2C36BB571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200401_212629691 (resized).jpg
478A7CB3-3442-4ED4-A75E-58E5D807944D (resized).jpeg
63FF693B-2E4A-44DE-B9DB-E593B763663D (resized).jpeg
8FCBD2B8-55B9-4D30-9E5A-6DFDF11089F6 (resized).jpeg
6DA9E6DD-F8D1-4FE4-A303-BA4728F20A8C (resized).jpeg
5CF678A3-35D0-4F40-A363-B5E39728EF3B (resized).jpeg
A0EA43D9-64D6-45A9-82F6-5F29983AE735 (resized).jpeg
950856C4-FB11-4BF5-9240-E6925C12AF51 (resized).jpeg
C336AF2C-99AA-4097-8FE0-A18390347A43 (resized).jpeg
15852547621253046597777208631068 (resized).jpg

There are 1793 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 36.
#151 5 years ago

I just bought a Taxi pinball Machine two weeks ago and this is a group that I am very interested in. Taxi was the game that got me started playing pinball back in Middle school and when I saw one for sell close enough for me to pick up I had to have it.

#152 5 years ago

Trying to catch a Taxi here in Maryland - please let me know if anything comes up!!

Thanks,

Nate

#153 5 years ago

Home games are set to free play, so what setting do you choose for special? Also, have any Taxi owners here ever looked into Cliffys?

#154 5 years ago

Just picked mine up yesterday. Definitely a project and will post some pics later today.

Excited to have it - one of my all-time favorites!

-scott

#155 5 years ago

Oh, been meaning to report this to this group. I fiddled with my spin out quite a bit, trying to get it working as best I could. It was okay, but not great when I stopped. It was sometimes able to reach 100k. After a while, it changed for the better all by itself. Several times now I have been able to go past 100k and back up to 75k. Neat huh? I suspect some of it has to do with the ball resting all the way back against the shooter, but that's not the sole factor. Is the anything that can be done to reduce the "shooter groove" in the wood? I think a Cliffy here would be useful, but I don't think one exists.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

Home games are set to free play, so what setting do you choose for special? Also, have any Taxi owners here ever looked into Cliffys?

I set the special to give an extra ball. Since it's free play, credits mean nothing and Taxi can be kinda stingy on the EB's!

#157 5 years ago

Hey question for the Taxi owners out there -

Anyone else ever have an issue with the ball getting stuck just to the left of the "C" rollover lane? Sometimes after it pops out of the spinout, it gets hung up between the Gorby Gate and that top star post rubber on the top of the "C" rollover. It's a PITA - and it's happening about 1/5 balls launched. It'll get stuck good enough I end up tilting it about 75% of the time trying to knock it back into play.

Any thoughts? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm going to pull the glass and go in there and see if there anything I can do to tweak it.

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

Anyone else ever have an issue with the ball getting stuck just to the left of the "C" rollover

Yep, I get that sometimes, but not often enough to mess with.

#159 5 years ago

Scroll down to the closeup of the CAB section here
http://www.classicplayfields.com/photo132.html
Doesn't it look like the is a spot there where the ball could rest? I wonder why that needed to dip like that, and couldn't just continue as an arc.

#160 5 years ago

As promised - a few pics!

Looking forward to a complete teardown and resto!

-scott

DSCN0796.JPG DSCN0751.JPG DSCN0757.JPG DSCN0776.JPG DSCN0779.JPG
#161 5 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

Anyone else ever have an issue with the ball getting stuck just to the left of the "C" rollover lane? Sometimes after it pops out of the spinout, it gets hung up between the Gorby Gate and that top star post rubber on the top of the "C" rollover. It's a PITA - and it's happening about 1/5 balls launched. It'll get stuck good enough I end up tilting it about 75% of the time trying to knock it back into play.
Any thoughts? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm going to pull the glass and go in there and see if there anything I can do to tweak it.

Anyway you can post a pic of a stuck ball? I've never had this problem, but someone might be able to determine a solution based on where it sticks.

#162 5 years ago

Next time it sticks, I'll grab a shot with my camera. I spent some time playing with it last night, turns out when I moved Taxi over into that corner of my living room, it hit a high spot on the right hand side of the floor. It was several degrees off level, so I tweaked the legs and got it back in line. I'll play some more today and see if it is still a problem. It just wasn't rolling back down off that little wire guide before the Gorby/Santa gate and the "C" rollover. If you look up there, you can see there's a wireform to prevent it from sticking there. On a weak kickout from the spinout kicker, it would go back towards the gate, slowly start to roll towards the "C" rollover and then hang right there on the left upper corner.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

Next time it sticks, I'll grab a shot with my camera. I spent some time playing with it last night, turns out when I moved Taxi over into that corner of my living room, it hit a high spot on the right hand side of the floor. It was several degrees off level, so I tweaked the legs and got it back in line. I'll play some more today and see if it is still a problem. It just wasn't rolling back down off that little wire guide before the Gorby/Santa gate and the "C" rollover. If you look up there, you can see there's a wireform to prevent it from sticking there. On a weak kickout from the spinout kicker, it would go back towards the gate, slowly start to roll towards the "C" rollover and then hang right there on the left upper corner.

A pic would be nice.

Slow rolls that lead to ball hangs like that are often remedied with a good clean/wax of the area. This results in more overall ball speed in that area, and so the ball is less likely to ever move slowly enough to come to a rest.
-mof

#164 5 years ago

Does somebody here know the part number for the screw which is for the express lane 2?
The one that goes in the yellow post as seen on picture: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2505&picno=40586&zoom=1

pic got from ipdb.org as my phone is not working at the moment.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

A pic would be nice.
Slow rolls that lead to ball hangs like that are often remedied with a good clean/wax of the area. This results in more overall ball speed in that area, and so the ball is less likely to ever move slowly enough to come to a rest.
-mof

Yeah if it does it again, I'll grab one. I just re-leveled and played 3-4 games it rolled right back down that wire guide like it's supposed to. I did just recently clean/wax/plexus the whole playfield last week. As it happens, the left side ramp switch (ball release) wire pulled off while I was replacing the plastics yesterday, so I'm going to have to pull that ramp and re-solder the leads to the switch box later on. I'll go back there and super-wax that lane again while I'm at it!

Thanks mof!

#166 5 years ago

Working with a pretty poor condition game I just picked up. If anyone has a playfield or displays they want to get rid of, let me know

20140407_191154.jpg
#167 5 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

Working with a pretty poor condition game I just picked up. If anyone has a playfield or displays they want to get rid of, let me know
20140407_191154.jpg 57 KB

Holy cats, that is inspiring me to create a new thread called "Worst Pins I've ever started restoring"
-mof

#168 5 years ago

Wow, that's rough. You should be able to find a decent used PF since CPR came out.

#169 5 years ago

Speaking of pf's.........I'm looking for a Taxi and wouldn't mind picking up a playfield if anyone gets a lead on them......

Thanks!

#170 5 years ago

I got the last pf from PPS. I tried Marco, CPR, Starship Fantasy and another one but it is escaping me now.

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Holy cats, that is inspiring me to create a new thread called "Worst Pins I've ever started restoring"
-mof

Game had the glass ON when I got it too

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Speaking of pf's.........I'm looking for a Taxi and wouldn't mind picking up a playfield if anyone gets a lead on them......
Thanks!

There's a pf on Ebay last time I looked.
ebay.com link » Taxi Pinball Machine Playfield

#173 5 years ago

thanks for the heads-up - wow, $1000!!! Better start saving up!

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

There's a pf on Ebay last time I looked.

That's pinsider Alleycat-Pinball. Really good guy.

1 week later
#175 5 years ago

Found a Taxi for sale, but it seems a bit high.

Haven't seen it in person but told it plays 100%, cab isn't in best shape, dents in lockdown bar, original pf, ramps, etc. all supposed to be in decent shape.

Asking $2,200.

Good price?.....Thanx.

#176 5 years ago

Found a Taxi for sale, but it seems a bit high.
Haven't seen it in person but told it plays 100%, cab isn't in best shape, dents in lockdown bar, original pf, ramps, etc. all supposed to be in decent shape.
Asking $2,200.
Good price?.....Thanx.

For a fully shopped and restored version, that'd probably be a steal. For what you are describing, that's at least $700.00 too much, IMO.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

For a fully shopped and restored version, that'd probably be a steal. For what you are describing, that's at least $700.00 too much, IMO.

I agree. I picked mine up last Oct. Prolly about in the same condition. I paid 1100.00

#178 5 years ago

Heck I just picked mine up last month - fully shopped, new rubbers, rebuilt coils, new battery holder and some minor corrosion repair, with a missing Lola plastic and a cracked departure ramp - for $1000. Original playfield with some minor wear, but I kinda like that on an old original Sys11 table. I've put about $300 into new ramps, replacement plastics, and some small upgrades, and I've got a killer, 100% functional Taxi for under $1500. Cab is one of the best original jobs I've ever seen, hardly any fade or scratches, it looks incredible.

Unless you are having a *real* hard time finding a Taxi, I'd pass or negotiate that deal down significantly.

#179 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the response - I had a feeling it was high, I can see with a brand-new pf but otherwise.........I will keep on a'lookin'!

If anyone hears of a Taxi in that more desirable 1200 or so range, let me know! I'd even go higher if it was a nice restore job............

Yo, Taxi!!

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

20140407_191154.jpg 57 KB

Surprisingly that playfield doesn't look terribly worn. Was it exposed to moisture? Could be a protective layer of crud?

#181 5 years ago

Hey folks...

Can someone measure the armature that serves as the bell striker in the cab for me? Someone broke mine off at the relay, but I think it will easily fabricate.

Thanks

-scott

1 week later
#182 5 years ago

Hi all,
Can someone take a picture of how the backbox locking rod works from inside? I bought two keyless locks at PAGG, and I'm not sure how that lock works. Mine wasn't connected when I bought it. The one I put on the coin box is cool though.

#183 5 years ago

My dad got his Pinballinc repro ramps today for Taxi and I was really impressed with the quality of them. I like the extra thick mounting points. Lets hope the spinout ramp will be similar in quality.

1 week later
#184 5 years ago

Need some help here fellas. Behind Marilyn drop target bank. There is a screw that mounts a ramp directly to the playfield. Can someone take a picture of that for me please? Mine is missing completely, I just see a worn out hole in the pf. Also if someone knows where to find that screw it would be appreciated.

On a similar/second question. I am missing one screw from the ramp flap. I would rather not go on a wild goose chase.

1 week later
#185 5 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Need some help here fellas. Behind Marilyn drop target bank. There is a screw that mounts a ramp directly to the playfield. Can someone take a picture of that for me please? Mine is missing completely, I just see a worn out hole in the pf. Also if someone knows where to find that screw it would be appreciated.
On a similar/second question. I am missing one screw from the ramp flap. I would rather not go on a wild goose chase.

Bump for the photos/info for me please

#186 5 years ago

Joined the club yesterday. Found a super clean Taxi that has been home use its whole life!

023.JPG
027.JPG

#187 5 years ago

BoiseD here is a picture of the back box lock. Hope this helps.
025.JPG

#188 5 years ago

Hey FuturePinHead -

Here are a few pics I took of mine as I was disassembling everything. IIRC, the ramps actually attach to the two post tops that have threads...I need to double check. Sorry my pics aren't great - just reminders for reassembly!

-scott

DSCN0815.JPG DSCN0839.JPG DSCN0840.JPG DSCN0860.JPG DSCN0879.JPG
#189 5 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

BoiseD here is a picture of the back box lock. Hope this helps.

025.JPG 151 KB

Thank you! Nice find

#190 5 years ago

Has anyone had trouble with the catapult guide? My left ramp has been destroyed by the ball shooting out if the catapult. Now sometimes the ball bounces off the ramp and into the glass.

1 week later
#191 5 years ago

Just wanted to post some updates...

Sprayed first clear topcoats today. Some befores were a couple of posts up...

-scott

DSCN1013.JPG DSCN1014.JPG DSCN1017.JPG DSCN1018.JPG DSCN1019.JPG
#192 5 years ago

looks great. where did you get the insert decals? joe

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

looks great. where did you get the insert decals? joe

I bought mine from Ebay:
ebay.com link » Taxi Pinball Machine Insert Decals

#194 5 years ago

Sorry Joe for my tardiness in my reply...

That is the same set I bought. Quality seems to be very good. I ended up cutting some of them apart...I did not want to replace the entire blue area in the middle of the PF as everything was great except bits of the inserts (faces) that pulled up when I pulled the mylar up. So I cut the faces out with an x-acto and just used them instead of the whole decal. Also did the same with the multiplier taxis as well as Gorbie, Santa and the Jackpot in the upper PF...I just sanded the old bits off of the insert itself, but only used the rectangle-shaped portion of the replacement decal and left the old paint on the PF (e.g. Santa's arm, the giraffe, etc.)

The decals lined up perfectly. The only issue in mine were the arrows for the expressway ramps (green) were not cut to the same shape as the inserts. The inserts on mine were more square, and the new decals were much more rounded. I am sure that was just a production issue from Williams; suppliers so no biggie.

-scott

#195 5 years ago

The inserts also behaved great with Spraymax 2K...no issues and the first coats are ready to be sanded and the final applied - maybe tonight if the weather here holds...

-scott

#196 5 years ago

I want to join your club. Total newbie and Taxi is my first pin.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from brandsilence:

I want to join your club. Total newbie and Taxi is my first pin.

Fill out the form in triplicate, provide 2 forms of ID and take a number. We'll call you when it's your turn

#198 5 years ago

Hey, you guys left the back door open, so I slipped-in without doing the paperwork!!

Just picked-up Taxi - my last and final pin! No more room. The pf is original but looks *gggreat* although it's dirty as hell and needs a total shop job - flipper rebuild, post rubbers are rotted,etc.

Looks like the bottom of cab sat in water for a bit as the bottom isn't flat but bows out a bit like a beer-belly - everthing works except center bank of drop targets - suspect it's the opto (hope so). It even has a fancy diode battery replacement thingy, so no acid damage - yay!

I also had to dis-assemble the backbox (one pinball fits in a Toyota Matrix btw.......) to get it into my Matrix.

Has anyone modified the annoying "bell/doorbell buzzer" to sound more like an actual bell being struck?? HATE that buzzing sound for the jackpot..........

Will shoot some pics tonight.

#199 5 years ago

Hey, you guys left the back door open, so I slipped-in without doing the paperwork!!
Just picked-up Taxi - my last and final pin! No more room. The pf is original but looks *gggreat* although it's dirty as hell and needs a total shop job - flipper rebuild, post rubbers are rotted,etc.
Looks like the bottom of cab sat in water for a bit as the bottom isn't flat but bows out a bit like a beer-belly - everthing works except center bank of drop targets - suspect it's the opto (hope so). It even has a fancy diode battery replacement thingy, so no acid damage - yay!
I also had to dis-assemble the backbox (one pinball fits in a Toyota Matrix btw.......) to get it into my Matrix.
Has anyone modified the annoying "bell/doorbell buzzer" to sound more like an actual bell being struck?? HATE that buzzing sound for the jackpot..........
Will shoot some pics tonight.

Sounds like you might be a candidate for a new repro topper also

#200 5 years ago

^^Possibly, but the topper isn't all that bad to be honest^^ if I need one I'll certainly know who to ask! Also, my spinout looks great - really fortunate about that but I might pick-up an extra blue one anyways.............

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 21.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
There are 1793 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 36.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside