IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 74.
#1251 6 years ago

Hi there - long time listener, first time caller.... lol

Have owned Taxi for a few months and it gets a good amount of play time. One of our favs. Recently however theres an issue with 2 balls being ejected into the shooter lane. Press start and first ball enters shooter lane. Then for some reason a second ball is sent in a few seconds later. But never the third.. if i remove one and drop it back in outhole it fires another back in.

I've done the switch tests using balls not fingers to activate switches. Everything registers. Reading other posts above i removed the pink quick connects and soldered the wires directly to the switch terminals. No change.

If i'm reading it right these switches are associated with transistor Q49. But i'm not convinced its a shorted transitor since the C A B switches register as normal if you play a game (with a constant two ball multiball haha).

Is there any reason a switch would be recognized in test mode but not in game mode?

Thanks!

#1252 6 years ago

There should only be 2 balls in table. I would try that first. Then check that the switch in the shooter lane is registering.

#1253 6 years ago

Yep, just confirmed that if theres 3 balls in the table, you'll always get 2 in the shooter lane.

#1254 6 years ago

Oh duh. Yes just 2 balls. Not 3 in there wasnt thinking.

I've checked the switch and it seems to read. And if u remove ball you hear the sound that the ball is launched

#1255 6 years ago

Actually just checked again and somehow a third did get in there. Musta been when i was working on something else i added a third ball. While i feel somewhat dumb - my game works again! Thanks for showing me the way!

#1256 6 years ago

Note of interest to TAXI owners. The left wire form was factory
mounted with a small gray spacer in order to lift the top part
of the wire ramp at a slight angle. I made a cautious mental
note of this part back when the game made its show debut.
The spacer was 1/4" long. I knew right away that once the
game was first shopped out this part would be lost.

#1257 6 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Actually just checked again and somehow a third did get in there. Musta been when i was working on something else i added a third ball. While i feel somewhat dumb - my game works again! Thanks for showing me the way!

Those silly fixes are the best ones! Glad you got it working!

#1258 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The left wire form was factory
mounted with a small gray spacer in order to lift the top part
of the wire ramp at a slight angle.

Huh, I never heard that before. Got a picture?

#1259 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Are they thick?

no. They are not very thick.

#1260 6 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

Huh, I never heard that before. Got a picture?

Of course, you would not "here about it" because the part was a throwaway.
If you had bought the game NIB, the spacer would be there.
If you want to know why the left ramp gets busted right in the middle,
Ding, Ding, Ding.
As far as a picture, no I did not have a camera at the time I was at the shows.
I do not think if I did have the capacity to take a picture, the angle,
and glass reflection would not have worked out.
Parts are.
1) 1/4 hex head sheet metal screw
2) washer
3) ramp assembly
3a) there might have been a washer.
4) 1/4" long gray tube spacer
5) black wood siding
Screw the space under the top exit of the wire ramp in order to pitch the
wire ramp at a higher angle.
If I can get to my TAXI I would take a picture. You got to remember,
the show and the game were released in 1988.
Techs and coin operators did not care about the game's integrity
only what was in the cash box.

#1261 6 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

no. They are not very thick.

Thank you! I'll pull the trigger on them then. The mylar is really bothering me and I need to pull it off!

#1262 6 years ago

Heads up for Taxi players - just discovered how the large taxi plastic gets damaged...............I've been getting airballs from the right flipper when hitting certain posts along the ramps or Lola drops - the ball ends up either caught by the wireform and rolling back to the right flipper or continuing into the taxi plastic and cracking it along where the screw holds it in.

Might want to laminate with mylar the backside/frontside of your plastic to add a little more protection - I've done that as part of my repair, although should have done that first *before* it got broken............

Anyone else solve the airball problem maybe with a plastic post sleeve with less give???

#1263 6 years ago

Hey everybody,

So I'm replacing some burnt-out bulbs, and I discovered that two of my pop bumpers have #194s, and one has a #555. What do you guys use in your Taxi? Thanks!

#1264 6 years ago
Quoted from kvolak:

What do you guys use in your Taxi? Thanks!

Retro LED kit from Nifty LED... turned out awesome

#1265 6 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Retro LED kit from Nifty LED... turned out awesome

I'll keep that in mind for future updates. As much as I would like to upgrade, I just need to replace the incandescents. Pretty sure they should be #555. Unfortunately, I'm on an extremely limited budget.

#1266 6 years ago
Quoted from kvolak:

Pretty sure they should be #555

Pretty sure they are #555 bulbs too.

#1267 6 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Pretty sure they are #555 bulbs

#555 is what is suppose to be there.

#1268 6 years ago

Comet LEDs on all my games. For Taxi, i use warm white comfort bright for the GI and color matched inserts.

#1269 6 years ago

Anybody know where to get a replacement shooter lane wireframe. Upon looking up part number from manual 12-6772-1, several pinball shops show it as Cyclone shooter wire form which is different design. Did they change this part number?

#1270 6 years ago
Quoted from Vinosky:

Anybody know where to get a replacement shooter lane wireframe. Upon looking up part number from manual 12-6772-1, several pinball shops show it as Cyclone shooter wire form which is different design. Did they change this part numbe

I may have one but it's gonna be Sunday before i can look. I'll let you know.

#1271 6 years ago

Does anyone have any cool instruction cards for their game?

#1272 6 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Does anyone have any cool instruction cards for their game?

Out of all the ones I searched for online, I liked these the best.

20170606_072749 (resized).jpg20170606_072749 (resized).jpg

#1273 6 years ago

These are my favorite. Including both Marilyn and Lola cards depending on the type of game you have.

taxi_custom_1.pngtaxi_custom_1.png
taxi_custom_2.pngtaxi_custom_2.png
taxi_custom_3.pngtaxi_custom_3.png

#1274 6 years ago

Does anyone happen to have a spare plastic that's kind of under the left side of the "arrivals" ramp? I have attached 2 pictures of the small plastic I am referring to, which is highlighted in green. The metal support post for the ramp goes right through the plastic in question, and it has two small red posts on it to prevent ball hangs (should the ball get airborne and land on the plastic.)

Taxi.jpgTaxi.jpg

Taxi 2.jpgTaxi 2.jpg

1 week later
#1275 6 years ago

Just picked up a HUO Taxi and it's sweet! What do you guys think?

Now I need to shop it out with LEDs

IMG_1383 (resized).JPGIMG_1383 (resized).JPG
IMG_1384 (resized).JPGIMG_1384 (resized).JPG
IMG_1387 (resized).JPGIMG_1387 (resized).JPG

#1276 6 years ago

WOW very nice!

#1277 6 years ago

Yes very nice indeed

#1278 6 years ago

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#1279 6 years ago

Huo? Come on look at that slingshot rubber wear. Joking of course. Beautiful score.

#1280 6 years ago

Almost done shopping it... Still need to finish the LEDs on it..

IMG_1410 (resized).JPGIMG_1410 (resized).JPG

IMG_1412 (resized).JPGIMG_1412 (resized).JPG

IMG_1418 (resized).JPGIMG_1418 (resized).JPG

IMG_1420 (resized).JPGIMG_1420 (resized).JPG

IMG_1424 (resized).JPGIMG_1424 (resized).JPG

IMG_1421 (resized).JPGIMG_1421 (resized).JPG

#1281 6 years ago

IMG_1428 (resized).JPGIMG_1428 (resized).JPG

#1282 6 years ago

Huo documentation? This will help me prove a point that even Huo games have some insert wear

#1283 6 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Huo documentation? This will help me prove a point that even Huo games have some insert wear

No documentation but I've seen a lot of Taxis and this one is clearly home use only. Guy was 87 years old who I bought it from and him and his wife bought it back in 1988. Yes it does have a little bit insert wear and ball swirls, but it's still a very nice machine

#1284 6 years ago

She's purty, especially the Blue Marilyn

#1285 6 years ago

I'm not disagreeing. The game looks fantastic.

#1286 6 years ago

You had me up until the colors. But looks awesome otherwise!

#1287 6 years ago

Game looks amazing. Great find. Im all for moving all my games to LED's and I do like certain colors in certain sections. Most of the time I use the cool white from NiftyLED. However, on my Taxi I went with the retro LED kit that Nifty sells and i couldn't be happier. I feel its the best of both world. I just restored a Jokerz and in that game I used cool white and it looked better that way than the retro bulbs....In my opinion.

#1288 6 years ago

Game looks fantastic! I will say though, but this is just MY opinion, and by no means am I saying it looks bad or saying you bleeped it up, but I just prefer non-colored LED's in the Passenger "Picked Up" inserts. To each his own preference is always accepted in my book. Awesome game and enjoy it.....

#1289 6 years ago

Yeah I was just trying out different colors. I like how my game of thrones pin matches the shield color to the shot so I thought why not try it out on Taxi.. Marylin(Lola) just doesn't look right in blue.

2 weeks later
#1290 6 years ago

New record.. How do you build a larger Jackpot? Seems like all my Jackpots that I hit are around 1.5mil..

IMG_1645 (resized).JPGIMG_1645 (resized).JPG

#1291 6 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

How do you build a larger Jackpot?

Invite some noob friends over, have a pinball party, raise jackpot to max value, kick them out, play game, collect.

#1292 6 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

How do you build a larger Jackpot? Seems like all my Jackpots that I hit are around 1.5mil..

Check the game settings for minimum and maximum jackpot values. I have mine set at 1.5 million maximum, which is the lowest possible setting, since I did not want to have huge variation in the jackpot values. But you can adjust the min and max (within certain ranges).

#1293 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Invite some noob friends over, have a pinball party, raise jackpot to max value, kick them out, play game, collect.

Haha that's rad! Adjust it so that each pop bumper hit is worth 5 grand, it will get up to 4 million in no time

20170606_124434 (resized).jpg20170606_124434 (resized).jpg

#1294 6 years ago

Planetary pinball has plastic sets and the Lola Marilyn plastic available if anyone needs them

#1295 6 years ago

F4 blew on the power supply board. Replacing that got some strange resets, so I did a cap kit. Now it's playing fine, but F4 is pretty warm. Is that normal?

Also, since doing the new fuse and caps there are a few inserts that pulse at different rates. Lock, drac, carry passengers, and shoot again. All 4 screws are there and tight on the power board and all connectors seem just fine. Any guesses?

2 weeks later
#1296 6 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

Finally finished my Taxi restoration a couple of days ago. Thanks to everybody here for advice, info, and teardown pics. Below are a few photos. More photos (before and after) here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/benhusmann/sets/72157680792993904
I love this machine!

I've never shipped a game before but I would for that Taxi if you ever decided to sell. Gorgeous game!

#1297 6 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

I've never shipped a game before but I would for that Taxi if you ever decided to sell. Gorgeous game!

yeah Right!

#1298 6 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

Thanks! It was a labor of love I don't see it ever leaving the stable

#1299 6 years ago

Hey guys. anyone happen to have the pinouts for a taxi coin door. Mine didn't have one and between 2 doors I have I want to Frankenstein it so I can play it until I find an original. Or does anyone have a compatible coin door for sale. I'm in Canada. Thanks

1 week later
#1300 6 years ago

whatevs, that thing is gorgeous, i'd set mine on fire for that one lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 22.50
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 74.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/26?hl=kvolak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.