IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 74.
#1151 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

On mine, the problem was that the switch actuator inside the bowl was sticking out too much and was killing the momentum.
That switch needs to be adjusted so it barely gets triggered when the ball goes around but can get fully pressed and clear the way.

This is what I found to be the problem with my game. I just bent it back a little, not cut it. It works great now. Thanks for the help.

#1152 7 years ago

Guys, rebuilding my slingshots. The plastic link on the plunger cracked.

Ordering a couple new parts from the manual and realized the compression spring is not listed. Can someone let me know which is the correct spring?

#1153 7 years ago

Guys, I may have an opportunity to buy a beat Taxi project in the future from a friend of mine. My question is - how likely is it CPR will do another run of the backGLASS, playfield, or plastics set?

#1154 7 years ago

Elicash - I think you mean the color? Red is the correct plunger spring.

#1155 7 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

Guys, I may have an opportunity to buy a beat Taxi project in the future from a friend of mine. My question is - how likely is it CPR will do another run of the backGLASS, playfield, or plastics set?

Probably gonna be a while if they even do one.

#1156 7 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

do another run of the backGLASS, playfield, or plastics set?

But that stuff is all over ebay, marco, bay area amusements, etc..you should be able to find everything you need.

#1157 7 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

But that stuff is all over ebay, marco, bay area amusements, etc..you should be able to find everything you need.

Taxi CPR playfields are available through resellers? Please share a link. Thanks!

#1158 7 years ago

Back glass at Planetary for regular price. Plastics on eBay but marked up to $250. I haven't found the playfield anywhere and I've been looking on and off for months.

#1159 7 years ago
Quoted from sawbill:

CPR playfields

Sorry, I dont see any playfields...read your post to quickly

#1160 7 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Guys, rebuilding my slingshots. The plastic link on the plunger cracked.
Ordering a couple new parts from the manual and realized the compression spring is not listed. Can someone let me know which is the correct spring?

Part # 10-135 is the spring you need:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-135

Is it possible for you to help me out by sending the measurements for the support post I need for my spinout a few posts up??? Need to know the post that is at the far back of the playfield supporting the top left corner of the spinout...

#1161 7 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Part # 10-135 is the spring you need:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-135
Is it possible for you to help me out by sending the measurements for the support post I need for my spinout a few posts up??? Need to know the post that is at the far back of the playfield supporting the top left corner of the spinout...

Its a 4 inch long round metal post. I stuck a ruler down in there to measure. Here is a pic

metal post (resized).jpgmetal post (resized).jpg

#1162 7 years ago

Thanks for this. Does everyone agree it is not these ones?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-128

I think these bigger springs are what are currently in my game. It makes the slingshot arms "slam" back into the under-playfield area. So may be why my blue nylon link broke. I will definitely go with the smaller one you are recommending. Thanks!

#1163 7 years ago

No problem! Thanks for helping me out! I will try and fine one of those posts to order!!

1 week later
#1164 7 years ago

Do any of you have a set of anal-rententive ultra comprehensive photos from your Taxi teardown or playfield swap that you could share with me? It would help immensely.

Tore down most of the topside of the playfield when i was an absolute newbie (2 years ago). I didn't take near enough photos and now i'm finally ready to start repopulating but it's really tough and time consuming without good references. I'm installing over an overlay which with many holes covered so that makes it even more of a brain bender.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

#1165 7 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

Do any of you have a set of anal-rententive ultra comprehensive photos from your Taxi teardown or playfield swap that you could share with me? It would help immensely.
Tore down most of the topside of the playfield when i was an absolute newbie (2 years ago). I didn't take near enough photos and now i'm finally ready to start repopulating but it's really tough and time consuming without good references. I'm installing over an overlay which with many holes covered so that makes it even more of a brain bender.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

I have a bunch of photos from a recent tear down... not sure they'll make much sense to you... but I'll send what I have

Edit: sent to you all via PM.

Hope they help

#1166 7 years ago

My taxi is missing two of the resistors on the interconnect board - R9, R10. The board is pretty crispy under where they were but there aren't any functional problems with the board (tested on the DMM).

Neither of these resistors seems readily available to purchase - what are my options?

R9: 4 ohms, 5W 10%
R10: 5.6 ohms 5W 10%

THANK YOU

#1168 7 years ago

Hi all Taxi fans,
I have just done a massive restore on my Taxi, I am running the Marilyn roms and the game plays great however I have a minor issue that I cannot work out.
In Joyride, when it lights the 2 million, the bells go but it says Special on the displays and doesn't score the 2 million.
Also, although it says "Special" it doesn't light the Special lanes.
I have done a factory reset, and tried it with medium setting.
I can't find anything in the book where this is switched.
I would like it to score the 2 million ( it's the only way I will ever get the high scores)
Any thoughts?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1169 7 years ago

Nice looking TAXI. Wish mine was that nice, although mine looks and plays great. Where is the 2 million shot on this game? I've played it a million times. When you run the ramps however many times, 8 I believe, the Million Shot lights up near Santa. And, if you get the Special via "Joyride", that equates to a free game, not lighting the outlane Specials. Hope that helps a bit.

#1170 7 years ago

The 2million score on the joyride awards.
How do I make it score 2 million instead of special?
If it only scores a Special then why is it labelled 2 million?

This is a replacement speaker panel, is it wrong, could it be for another country?

#1171 7 years ago

That's odd. My Taxi display plastic says "Special" there and NOT "2 Million"... Could this possibly be a difference between the LOLA and MARALYN ROMsets?

taxi2 (resized).jpgtaxi2 (resized).jpg

#1172 7 years ago

I don't think it's a Lola/Marilyn thing. I've never seen a speaker panel with a 2 million on it. Very strange. Sure someone knows what's up with it. Had both versions of this game, and played numerous others, and never seen it...

#1173 7 years ago

Gotta be a proto

#1174 7 years ago

My Lola came with "Special" on the speaker panel and I got a replacement from Classic Arcades and it says "2 Million" on it but I never figured out why the difference.

#1175 7 years ago

I got mine from Classic Arcades too.
Cost enough to get it to Australia....
I will email him tonight to try to find more info . I was thinking it's possible it was for one of those countries that would not let you win free games, like the old Add-a-ball games.
Someone on here must have a definitive answer

#1176 7 years ago

Marcos, PPS, Bay Area, and Ministry of Pinball are all showing the 2 million Joyride panel in their stock lists.
I reckon it will be a very simple answer when I get to the bottom of it

#1177 7 years ago
Quoted from raysco:

Marcos, PPS, Bay Area, and Ministry of Pinball are all showing the 2 million Joyride panel in their stock lists.
I reckon it will be a very simple answer when I get to the bottom of it

Mine says special. Mine is a Lola. Could it possibly be the difference between Lola and Marilyn? Oops sorry, I just read up on the thread.

#1178 7 years ago

Wow, randomly scoring 2 million for a Joyride would totally change the gameplay.

#1179 7 years ago

2 Million joyride award is way too much!!

#1180 7 years ago

Unlimited millions! It would be broken like police force as far as scoring.

#1181 7 years ago

If you search for part number 31-1420-553 which is on page 56 of the manual item 20a, then this 2 million panel shows in all the regular suppliers.
I have emailed PPS to try to get more info as to where the Special went.
I would suspect that as with the Special, that you can change the chance of it occurring.
Thought this might have been resolved by now, someone posting, "your'e an idiot, change this setting"

#1182 7 years ago

Just picked this up last night. First system 11, loving it! Fits right in next to its younger brother, Fish Tales.

20170325_074305 (resized).jpg20170325_074305 (resized).jpg

#1183 7 years ago

Any info on the difference between 2mill and special ?

#1184 7 years ago

Still looking but running out of places to ask ....

#1185 7 years ago

Does anyone have the Williams part number for the 7 digit display that is mounted on the insert board? It should start with D-12xxx.

#1186 7 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Does anyone have the Williams part number for the 7 digit display that is mounted on the insert board? It should start with D-12xxx.

20170329_160009 (resized).jpg20170329_160009 (resized).jpg

#1187 7 years ago

Thanks, Vinosky.

#1188 7 years ago

If anyone here has experience with the sound circuitry in System 11B machines, then I'd appreciate some input on a thread I've posted.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-missing-sound-channels

I'm missing speech, sounds, and drums from my Taxi. I have the Yamaha FM Sythesis music, though. I'm kind of giving it one last chance at finding anyone who can help before giving up and parting it out. Thanks!

#1189 7 years ago

Does anyone know which way the ribbon cable to the meter display should face? Is Pin 1 on the top or the bottom of the meter score display? I don't want to plug this thing back in wrong and blow it up.

#1190 7 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

Does anyone know which way the ribbon cable to the meter display should face? Is Pin 1 on the top or the bottom of the meter score display? I don't want to plug this thing back in wrong and blow it up

Should be a red line on the ribbon cable connector. This should be lined up with number one on the board and display.

#1191 7 years ago

Anyone have the Tilt Graphics apron magnet on their machine? Wondering how it looks................

#1192 7 years ago

I have the apron and I think it looks nice on a home machine. If you are a purist, you won't like it, but I haven't been disappointed with anything I've purchased from Tilt.

#1193 7 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

I have the apron and I think it looks nice on a home machine. If you are a purist, you won't like it, but I haven't been disappointed with anything I've purchased from Tilt.

Have a pic?

#1194 7 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Should be a red line on the ribbon cable connector. This should be lined up with number one on the board and display.

It's possible I missed it, but I don't see a 1 on the small jackpot score display. I don't really see any way of which one is pin 1. Can someone just take a couple of minutes to look at theirs and tell me the right way to plug it in so I can mark the board with something for future reference?

#1195 7 years ago

Does this help?

1491515153126-74909818 (resized).jpg1491515153126-74909818 (resized).jpg

#1196 7 years ago

Yep. Thanks!

#1197 7 years ago

Just got my Taxi a few weeks ago. This game is as good or better than I heard. Taxi is my 72nd pin and i don't know what took me so long. Amazing game that keeps me pushing start.

#1198 7 years ago

So I am on my way to joining the club as I restore my taxi. Right now I want this to be a solid players machine and will worry about the cabinet once I get the cash to do a full restore of the cabinet. I am currently back in the rebuilding mode and wanted to reach out to you guys to see if anyone has any good photos of the underside of the playfield they would not mind sharing. Apparently a few of my photos have either been deleted in error or are somewhere on my computer that I cannot find. I have wired most of my images and have wired a majority of the coils like the flippers it is mainly the pop bumper coils and some of the other surrounding ones.

I guess this might be a good time to ask but can these be wired backwards? especially when there is no diode present? When I searched there seemed to be mixed answers and unfortunately I cannot find the wiring schematic for the playfield unless I am overlooking it, all I find on ipdb is the schematics for the boards and solenoids, etc. Anyways I figured I would reach out to the community as you all are always extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!

taxi (resized).jpgtaxi (resized).jpg

taxi2 (resized).jpgtaxi2 (resized).jpg

#1199 7 years ago
Quoted from UNCCShannon:

I guess this might be a good time to ask but can these be wired backwards? especially when there is no diode present? When I searched there seemed to be mixed answers and unfortunately I cannot find the wiring schematic for the playfield unless I am overlooking it, all I find on ipdb is the schematics for the boards and solenoids, etc. Anyways I figured I would reach out to the community as you all are always extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!

welcome to Taxi club...

Fun basic pinball facts:
-All coils have voltage at all coil lugs at all times (when measured with the cabinet rail as GND). I know, I know it's hard to believe but it's true 99.9% of the time in pinball.

-A coil is just a piece of coated magnet wire wrapped around a plastic spool. This is why you see voltage measured at all coil lugs, at all times.

-A diode's job is to allow current to only flow in one direction. This is really only important in regards to pinball coils because each coil has a ground wire, as well as a power wire (the GND wire is usually smaller gauge). This confuses people because the ground wire isn't for supplying power (until it's needed). The ground wire essentially does nothing until the game's MPU tells a pin on one of the PIA pins to register, that in turn then goes to a small IC, then to a small pre-drive transistor, then to a main drive transistor (usually a tip102), then to that GND wire that touches the coil and it FIRES. This all happens in a fraction of a second. The diode is there to isolate this violent spike of power, not allowing it to flow in the other direction, potentially killing sensative electronic components. It is all about isolating the high 20-40V coil voltage from the sensative 5V components being used. All if this is what makes solid state pinball possible.

-Taxi (and all the other system 11B and 11C games) are odd because they do not have diodes at the coils... but THEY DO STILL USES DIODES! The pinball designers simply moved the diodes to the "AUX driver board" in the head so that you can't screw up what lug the GND side touches with the bands of the diode (either anode or cathode). That is, not unless you install the diode backwards on the AUX board! The diodes in a game with an AUX board are also much more robust than that diodes previously used in pinball.

-If you are following along here, you should now be able to tell if it matters what wire goes on what lug on a TAXI coil with no diodes.

-Diodes are also used for isolation on switches and lamps in pinball machines. If not for them, there would be a LOT MORE WIRES needed. It's all about efficiency and isolation.

#1200 7 years ago

Thank you Snyper, I believe I follow and should have remember this from when I worked on a Jokerz! a few years back and using the system 11 repair guide from flipperwinkel. essential since the diodes were moved to the aux board it doesn't matter what lug each wire is on at that point since it can't be screwed up b/c the board controls the direction. Guess at this point the photo isn't really necessary now unless I failed to photograph where something was placed but think I have that covered.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 74.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.