• 1,714 posts
  • 240 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Mad_Dog_Coin_Op
  • Topic is favorited by 99 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

There have been 475 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4FDAA7AA-067F-4492-B1F0-C663E6745377 (resized).jpeg
DEB05D1E-83CE-42C1-97A4-2C9751B794C5 (resized).jpeg
7F89817C-2840-4215-A919-07A95F50D1DF (resized).jpeg
BED700A5-D0BB-4B1C-ADB7-D5CC07BA575D (resized).jpeg
20200215_191214 (resized).jpg
15818131288184126448961256258943 (resized).jpg
20200201_160527 (resized).jpg
011 (resized).jpg
9DA8E064-D7D1-4A2E-8515-199A29DB232C (resized).jpeg
20200208_132039 (resized).jpg
20200127_194329 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200127_094438048 (resized).jpg
20200126_170656 (resized).jpg
D7583942-1D33-4141-8081-C677A43572C8 (resized).jpeg
2566EA1E-D428-44B9-AE61-22FCAE784461 (resized).jpeg
1C68E1B9-5CED-4C24-A578-0CBD4B75D120 (resized).jpeg

There are 1714 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 35.
#1101 3 years ago

I had the same problem before. I replaced the switch and it's been perfect ever since.

#1102 3 years ago

Would it be possible for a Taxi owner to scan the translite for me? Can be scanned in parts, would stitch it together myself...

#1103 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

a ball will go in Drac, and will not kick it out in a timely manner. It almost seems like it goes to ball search and gives credit for a ramp shot instead of Drac.

The switch is a likely culprit as mentioned, but I had a VERY similar issue with my Banzai run. Ball would go in ball cannon, sometimes work, sometimes not. Replaced switch, same thing. The problem turned out to be connector J8 on the MPU. It had a little visual blue corrosion on it, presumably from battery corrosion, because they (batteries) are located above this connector. There was no other corrosion on the board, but a drip must have found that connector.
After re-pinning the connector, the problem was gone. I have since seen trace amounts of corrosion on this connector in other system 11 games. Great place to look for problems such as yours.

#1104 3 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

I had the same problem before. I replaced the switch and it's been perfect ever since.

Quoted from dozer1:

The switch is a likely culprit as mentioned, but I had a VERY similar issue with my Banzai run. Ball would go in ball cannon, sometimes work, sometimes not. Replaced switch, same thing. The problem turned out to be connector J8 on the MPU. It had a little visual blue corrosion on it, presumably from battery corrosion, because they (batteries) are located above this connector. There was no other corrosion on the board, but a drip must have found that connector.
After re-pinning the connector, the problem was gone. I have since seen trace amounts of corrosion on this connector in other system 11 games. Great place to look for problems such as yours.

Will look into both of these, thanks.

#1105 3 years ago

FOR SALE: New topper with decal installed 75 shipped

I bought all the parts to restore my taxi over time, when I restored my taxi last year I realized I had two toppers. Its brand new with the decal installed.

thanks,
rob

#1106 3 years ago
Quoted from alleycat-pinball:

I bought all the parts to restore my taxi over time, when I restored my taxi last year I realized I had two toppers. Its brand new with the decal installed.
thanks,
rob

I might be interested.

#1107 3 years ago

Actually very interested

#1108 3 years ago

Anyone have the paint codes for the playfield, especially the green? anyone have the plastic behind the lola/marilyn pickup target bank?

15970119_10210740332600077_1980688838_n (resized).jpg

#1111 3 years ago

Paint codes? You interested in automotive base coat ? I have those I can dig up , it's Akzo Nobel product in the Lesonal Basecoat . I made the grey , spent days tinting it as perfect as possible. I have a code in Lesonal in all colors I believe, but did not use green in the restore.
See my taxi restore in posts back in August from me, it may have some codes in the restore thread , can't remember.
JP

#1112 3 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

especially the green

It might be, process blue with yellow and a dab of black.
Or, Green, yellow, and a dab of black.

#1114 3 years ago

thanks,
rob

Topper Is Still Available

#1116 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Be sure and build a plastic protector for it.
-mof

yes do this. I broke my replacement like a total ding-dong.

#1117 3 years ago

Topper Is Still Available

Still want it Rob, just been spending too much $$$ lately

#1118 3 years ago
Quoted from joey__p__1966:

Paint codes? You interested in automotive base coat ? I have those I can dig up , it's Akzo Nobel product in the Lesonal Basecoat . I made the grey , spent days tinting it as perfect as possible. I have a code in Lesonal in all colors I believe, but did not use green in the restore.
See my taxi restore in posts back in August from me, it may have some codes in the restore thread , can't remember.
JP

hook me up brother!

#1119 3 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

Anyone have the paint codes for the playfield, especially the green? anyone have the plastic behind the lola/marilyn pickup target bank?

So you saw my pre-restore pic, here is my current progress -

made a video with the playfield protector installed. I am done putting money into this taxi! $1200 as is + $250 in xpin/rottendog (can sell the originals to recoup here) $100 in comet $100 for topper $100 misc shit $100 decals and shit $170 playfield protector, becoming an expensive player, but hard to find tbh in good condition regardless of price, cpr pf's gl finding, I am satisfied. Cab is in great shape as is the original trans. Keepin the game anyway. Probably still on the right side of this deal - wasnt happy leaving the pf in the condition it was.

#1120 3 years ago

Nemesis, Looks great. Probably a better way to go if you don't have experience with automotive clear coats. Not knowing what your doing when mixing the clear can destroy a pf permanently if mixed wrong. I did mine last fall, but cleared it, didn't even know the pf protector was out there, but would have cleared mine anyways to save the money. It is hard to find a nice taxi, as they get older they will become more difficult to find a super nice one.
JP

#1121 3 years ago
Quoted from joey__p__1966:

Nemesis, Looks great. Probably a better way to go if you don't have experience with automotive clear coats. Not knowing what your doing when mixing the clear can destroy a pf permanently if mixed wrong. I did mine last fall, but cleared it, didn't even know the pf protector was out there, but would have cleared mine anyways to save the money. It is hard to find a nice taxi, as they get older they will become more difficult to find a super nice one.
JP

Thanks for the encouragement! I wish the decal insert sets were bigger and covered more space like the middle decal does with all the face. Some didnt line up with the font at all like the stop light at the bottom near the gutter. The plastic playfield protector like I said in the video also helps with an older game like Taxi because I can feel some of the inserts - like the green ones for example are sagging just a fraction, others may be slightly raised - so now there is a flat playing surface. It is a multiple quick fix to a shit show and gets you playing fast and easy, protects the surface, muffles ball roll sound, contrasts the art and gives a gloss look. I am a fan. I probably put one on the Swords of Fury too.

#1122 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I'm seeing a delay at times from the Drac catapult. With the glass off, I can click the switch and it will fire ever time. Same thing if I place a ball in there. During the game, on occasion, a ball will go in Drac, and will not kick it out in a timely manner. It almost seems like it goes to ball search and gives credit for a ramp shot instead of Drac. A "problem" when there is a ball locked and you get multiball instead of credit for Drac. The worst is in multiball and you lock into 1, and then trying for 2 you hit it close to the time running out. I've had it happen where I don't get credit a few times now.
Unsure of ROMs as I have it on route and it's a pretty recent pickup for me. The ball seats in the catapult cup every time and I know the switch is getting hit.

You need to adjust that switch to accommodate your ball... not pressure from a finger

#1123 3 years ago

Just wanted to tell the world how happy and proud I am to be part of the Taxi owners club!
Picked up that machine last month, and I just love it!
The feature that I love the most is the bell! The BELL!!!!!!
My god, that bell !!!!!
Everytime it rings, I just can't help but jump all over the place!

#1124 3 years ago

Thought a shifter knob would look good on the shooter rod:

http://www.gennieshifter.com/shift-knobs/engraved-series

Anyone do this? How could you mount it - do the real shifter knobs have a hex screw set into the neck???

#1125 3 years ago

This is my first machine and we just got it on Sunday and would be happy to join this club! Great game! Have the spin out ramp dialed in, the inlane wireform guides adjusted, and reconnected the bell! plays deceptively fast, and the left ramp is a killer!

#1126 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You need to adjust that switch to accommodate your ball... not pressure from a finger

The ball would trigger it in attract mode. It actually completely stopped working middle of last week so I went to the local electronics place. They had a Cherry E21, but it had a flat tab. I bent it using the other one as a guide and after swapping it out everything is working great.

#1127 3 years ago

Hi ive just picked up a TAXI.

The spring on the wiregate that opens has stretched. (top left of playfield). Can someone tell me which model number spring i need to order please? Ive looked at the manual but cannot find which number spring to order. Its the gorby shot .

Thankyou

#1128 3 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

So, the Jackpot is designed to carry over from ball to ball, and game to game. In home use, this seems silly, since I can just opt to wait until it's at its max before collecting it. That adds an unnecessary amount of time between jackpots.
Does anyone have any suggestions about a proper base value to lock the Jackpot in at? I mean, it doesn't matter, since I'm the only one playing it, but I'd like to have the Jackpot be worth a balanced value relative to the million-point shot or the multi-ball express lane shots. Is the Jackpot difficult enough that it should be worth four million points? Two million? What say you guys?

In our league play I set the jackpot range as narrow as possible - 1,000,000 is the minimum and 1,500,000 is the maximum. i think that was the highest minimum it allowed and the lowest maximum. I think the Million shot is just as hard or harder than jackpot so I like the 1,500,000 maximum.

I also turn off the multiplier on the skill shot which increases the multiplier with each ball. It makes the skill shot worth too much compared to other objectives - in my opinion.

#1129 3 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

In our league play I set the jackpot range as narrow as possible - 1,000,000 is the minimum and 1,500,000 is the maximum. i think that was the highest minimum it allowed and the lowest maximum. I think the Million shot is just as hard or harder than jackpot so I like the 1,500,000 maximum.
I also turn off the multiplier on the skill shot which increases the multiplier with each ball. It makes the skill shot worth too much compared to other objectives - in my opinion.

All great ideas! I have a hard time hitting the jackpot and it gets up to the max value we have it set at at 4 million. I like that 1.5-2 million max, that way, it's not so lopsided when someone does hit the jackpot.

#1130 3 years ago

Hello all- I was wondering if someone could help. I picked up a Taxi recently that was missing the knocker. I picked the whole assembly up from Pinball resource. The new one came with a diode on the coil, which I'm not sure if it's used. Could someone take a picture of their knocker assembly so I can see what wires go where? Thank You for all the help.

#1131 3 years ago

About the jackpot meter,

Mine is showing the jackopot value all the time. I thought it was supposed to be showing the bonus value as well some times. Mine doesn't.

Problem? Settings?

#1132 3 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

About the jackpot meter,
Mine is showing the jackopot value all the time. I thought it was supposed to be showing the bonus value as well some times. Mine doesn't.
Problem? Settings?

Mine doesn't either. Always thought it was supposed to. I wonder if it may be a rom revision

#1133 3 years ago

The meter on mine shows an increasing bonus. I think it starts at 1000, but it doesn't show the jackpot all the time.

#1134 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Hello all- I was wondering if someone could help. I picked up a Taxi recently that was missing the knocker. I picked the whole assembly up from Pinball resource. The new one came with a diode on the coil, which I'm not sure if it's used. Could someone take a picture of their knocker assembly so I can see what wires go where? Thank You for all the help.

I'll try to snap som pics for you in a bit here.

#1135 3 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

About the jackpot meter,
Problem? Settings?

I have a rotten dog LED display that did that (I got it as a refurb so maybe they had a mix-up in an early revision), the meter/jackpot is driven by the extra alphanumeric bits on the lower display. If it's wired to one side it only shows the jackpot, the other side has the animated meter and jackpot after spelling cab (side note: I think there's a system 11 that uses two numeric displays which would use both sides of the extra bits in the lower display ). I can take pics of the fix if you like.

#1136 3 years ago

Now you mention it I have a Pinled display in mine!!

#1137 3 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I have a rotten dog LED display that did that

Mine are Pinscore led displays. I'd be interested to see that wiring fix thing.

#1138 3 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Mine are Pinscore led displays. I'd be interested to see that wiring fix thing.

Me too, I have pinscore also...............

#1139 3 years ago

I think my Tron chasing schematic notes are long gone since I did it about 5 years ago.. here are pics of the mod, these jumpers run to u20.

IMG_20170206_093143561 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170206_093215120 (resized).jpg

#1140 3 years ago

I just pulled up pics of the pinscore displays.. surface mounted chips. Bogus!

1 week later
#1141 3 years ago

When I shoot the ball, I can't get past 50k on the spin out. Ive installed a new sleeve, rod and red spring all from Marco. Is this common? does anyone else have this issue with their shooter rod? Is it suppose to be really hard to launch the ball on Taxi? Thanks for any help

#1142 3 years ago

No, it should go through all the scoring lamps up past 100k and start over back up to almost 100k again on a full pull . Maybe your switch it not actuating on every ball revolution ? Every time the ball circles, it should score another lamp , if it doesn't circle but like 3 times on a full pull, then there is something with the shooter bracket, sleeve , spring , or spin out ramp I would think .

#1143 3 years ago

I just checked it and I can only get the ball to spin 3 times sometimes 4 max in the spin out. Normal?

#1144 3 years ago

No. Sounds like the balls having the sting taken out of its tail. Try and adjust the ramp where the wire form meets it. Mine got hung up there before.

I can normally pretty easily spin out to 1k and 5k.

They are finickity little buggers to set up right

#1145 3 years ago

I did install a new spin out ranp and it doesn't seem like there is any adjustment. Just put it in place and screw it down.

#1146 3 years ago

I found this. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-plunger-adjustment. I'm going to try some of these suggestions tomorrow.

#1147 3 years ago

behind the plate that holds the plunger, there are 3 screws that you can loosen to adjust the position of the plunger where it hits the ball. Loosen, adjust, shoot, loosen, adjust, shoot. I have mine set up where a full plunge will get back to 5K. When you pull it back, and release, pull it so that the plunger "snaps" back so you get full strength out of it. I'm assuming your shooter tip is new, and your playfield is level too. If not, do those things!

#1148 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

When I shoot the ball, I can't get past 50k on the spin out.

On mine, the problem was that the switch actuator inside the bowl was sticking out too much and was killing the momentum.

That switch needs to be adjusted so it barely gets triggered when the ball goes around but can get fully pressed and clear the way.

1 week later
#1149 2 years ago

Does anyone's plunger spring creak when they pull on it? Is that normal? Sometimes near the end of the pull, it's not really smooth. Is it because of the tension of the spring? New spring, new sleeve. Just always bothered me, not a huge deal

#1150 2 years ago

Wondering if another club member can help me identify what support post I am missing in the pic? This post helps support the top left side of the spinout and would appear to bolt down from the underside of the play field as there is a hole right through the play field where the post is mounted.

IMG_20170225_184850 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Machine - For Sale
Celebration, FL
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 1714 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside