IMG_1131 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
IMG_5287 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7122 (resized).jpg
IMG_7112 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6921 (resized).jpg
There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 74.
#751 8 years ago

Send to Clive.

#752 8 years ago

Wayout440, thanks a lot - I did use that guide, and did the lamp test mentioned there. You hit the nail on the head, it looks like pin 4 is the culprit - just like you said! The bulb at that pin lights extra-bright although it blinks.

I'm hoping to just replace the transistor (thanks for the location), it looks like some of the diodes are also blown on the lamp sockets themselves.

-Nate

Blackbeard, thanks again for the Clive recommendation, I might send the board after the holidays, would like to get this fixed in the meantime for when family is visiting.............Geeesh!

#753 8 years ago

Looking for advice. Going Sunday to look at a Taxi with a friend from work. Total 5 hour drive. Pics show some cab dings (he does wood work as a hobby - so we can fix that). Ramps/plastics are said to be in good shape (and pictures confirm some of that), inserts look good, some wear at in/out lanes, around pops. Fully functional is the description. We have agreed on approx. 1400USD in Canadian dollars. Deposit sent with condition of inspection for function. Anything specific we should look for? Price seems ok, not many come up for sale around here, so no shipping needed. Going to run all switch/lamp/solenoid tests, and play a game or two, also checking boards and connectors. Just don't want to miss anything, its his first machine so don't want it to be a bad experience for him.

#754 8 years ago

Volk: Price is fine. Most taxis are beat up on both pf and cab. Just are. Don't jump when you see a lot of pop bumper wear. It's somewhat normal. My taxi pf is being restored as I type. Love the pin.

Run diagnostics. Also make sure the bell in the cab functions. It's probably one of the dianostics (coils).

It's a fantastic pin!

#755 8 years ago

Gaddamit... I had the sexiest Taxi of all time... Essentially a HEP. And I got rid of it.

Been about 6 months.

And I miss it like no other.

Like that amazing girlfriend you screw up with, because you see some other eye candy you think is better.

I'm a freaking idiot.

#757 8 years ago

Can't say I didn't see that coming

#758 8 years ago

If anyone knows where I can get a Sys11 board for Taxi let me know.....used/refurbished is fine. Looks like Rottendog doesn't have these new anymore............

-Nate

#759 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

If anyone knows where I can get a Sys11 board for Taxi let me know.....used/refurbished is fine. Looks like Rottendog doesn't have these new anymore............
-Nate

https://ksarcade.net/rottendog-mpu011a-for-williams-bally-system-11.html

#760 8 years ago

You're all over the place Blackbeard!! Thanks again. I'm glad you're not filling up my posts with "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!"

#761 8 years ago

I am doing a pop bumper rebuild on my Taxi and noticed one of the coils says -03 on it. The coil is from the bumper near the drop targets. Has anyone seen this or know what it means? My best guess is some (3?) windings were removed. Thanks!IMG_6561.JPGIMG_6561.JPG

#762 8 years ago

I think it has to do something with the diode position. Is a diode present on it, on which side is it mounted, etc.

#763 8 years ago

Hey Rec - is pinball big in Budapest!!!??? Wow.

#764 8 years ago
Quoted from Rec:

I think it has to do something with the diode position. Is a diode present on it, on which side is it mounted, etc.

Nope, no diode and it's only on this solenoid.

#765 8 years ago

All three of my pop bumpers have the AE23-800 coils

#766 8 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

All three of my pop bumpers have the AE23-800 coils

Thanks for the confirmation. Do you know what the -03 suffix means?

#767 8 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

Has anyone seen this or know what it means?

Just a guess, but that could mean that the owner or operator installed it in 2003.
They could be tracking maintenance work to watch for things that fail frequently.

#768 8 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

Nope, no diode and it's only on this solenoid.

At some point, Williams moved some diodes to the PCBs in the head. So it is not needed on the coil. Maybe the coil is from an earlier sys11, and the diode was cut down.

#769 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Hey Rec - is pinball big in Budapest!!!??? Wow.

Big, and growing

#770 8 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Just a guess, but that could mean that the owner or operator installed it in 2003.
They could be tracking maintenance work to watch for things that fail frequently.

That's an interesting guess but I think it actually was a coil that had a diode and somebody removed it as Rec speculated.

#771 8 years ago

Could someone please show me some pics of the flipper wiring... both left and right.

PRUE

#772 8 years ago

PRUE:

Quoted from grandy:

This is the essential guide for rebuilding your flippers, very easy to follow: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Here is another thread with some photos that should help you: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-flipper-help

#773 8 years ago

Been playing taxi this Christmas. I can justify it to the wife because it has Santa on it!!

#774 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Gaddamit... I had the sexiest Taxi of all time... Essentially a HEP. And I got rid of it.
Been about 6 months.
And I miss it like no other.
Like that amazing girlfriend you screw up with, because you see some other eye candy you think is better.
I'm a freaking idiot.

Back in the fold, gentleman.

#775 8 years ago

Congrats! Yo taxi. What's your top score on a high end taxi?

#776 8 years ago

What's a working Monroe worth in working, fair cosmetic condition

#777 8 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

What's a working Monroe worth in working, fair cosmetic condition

#778 8 years ago

Not many people willing to let them go for $1500 these days. Just look up the machine on Pinside. It tells you the range is around $1700-2050 and fair condition would be near the low end. It also says that median asking price out of 17 machines on Pinside has been $1,900. I'm not saying that is the sales price, but that is what most sellers are looking for.

#779 8 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

Not many people willing to let them go for $1500 these days. Just look up the machine on Pinside. It tells you the range is around $1700-2050 and fair condition would be near the low end. It also says that median asking price out of 17 machines on Pinside has been $1,900. I'm not saying that is the sales price, but that is what most sellers are looking for.

Yup, it keeps going up. Average Marilyn's probably worth around 2k these days. The beauty I just bought was well over $3k - and I believe a very fair price.

Quoted from Kneissl:

Congrats! Yo taxi. What's your top score on a high end taxi?

It's on it's way from across country, via STI. But, I recall my top score was around 10k on my former "HEP" one...

Taxi, to me, is perfect pinball. Everything about it resonates. The era, the artwork, the challenging gameplay, the music and callouts, the theme of course... I put it right there with Funhouse as the two greatest pins of all time - and as the two I'd keep, if I could only have two machines. Both encapsulate everything that is right about pinball. DMD's are fun - and many of my favorite games have them - but at the end of the day, pinball isn't a video game, my friends.

Taxi!

#780 8 years ago

Do any of you guys have a playfield swap/ shop out gallery that you could share?

I bought a Taxi in pieces with much of the pf parts in boxes and the rollovers are not wired.

2 weeks later
#781 8 years ago

I am looking for the departure and spin out ramps if anyone has decent old ones or can direct me to new ones. Also need the taxi car plastic, and right slingshot plastics, and the plastic behind the center drop targets. Any help much appreciated.

Also have many used taxi plastics free to anyone in need. Also have the shadow slingshot plastics to any shadow owner in need.

#782 8 years ago
Quoted from t2:

I am looking for the departure and spin out ramps if anyone has decent old ones or can direct me to new ones. Also need the taxi car plastic, and right slingshot plastics, and the plastic behind the center drop targets. Any help much appreciated.
Also have many used taxi plastics free to anyone in need. Also have the shadow slingshot plastics to any shadow owner in need.

Pm me your info and I'll send you pics of my taxi ramps for sale.

#783 8 years ago

I picked up a project condition taxi back in the summer, and I've put a lot of work into it lately. Used to have a broken left ramp, wimpy flippers that couldn't push the ball around either ramp, lots of lights out, a switch matrix column out, dirt, crusty old rubbers that were literally crumbling, no GI.

I've fixed all that, rebuilt the flipper assemblies with Vid's upgrades, put in Comet LEDs, added NVRAM and dumped the battery pack. It is now a sweet, sweet game! Was lucky to get few hundred thousand when it was beat up, now I can score multi millions (being able to make the ramps for the 1 million really bumps up the scores!).

Loving being in the club!

#784 8 years ago

Okay, so there's this Taxi on Craigslist for $1200: richmond.craigslist.org link

I've been having some trouble contacting the seller (got an email with the wrong phone number), and I got a PM from another pinsider letting me know to be a bit cautious considering this game since he is also having trouble contacting and hasn't received any more detailed pics. (Which I forgot to ask for... This is my first time attempting to buy a pin, so bear with me!) From the pictures, really the only issues I can make out is a yellowed topper and the red shoot again stop light seems messed up. I was planning on having someone who lives close by look it over for me over the phone

What I'm wondering is, if I still get a chance to buy it and have someone look over it, what would have to be wrong with it to knock it down below $1200? How would I know if that's a good price? Or should I just forget this and wait longer for something more trustworthy to come up? Looking for a good, family friendly starter pin that both me and my friends (who mostly have never even touched a pinball machine before) can enjoy. Taxi does seem to have really fun multiplayer. Also, while I am willing to pay up to $1500 for a pin, the less I spend, the better, as not only does it give me more room to pay for repairs, but I also just found out how much community college is going to cost and it is *not* cheap!

Because of that, whatever I buy is probably all I'll have for a while, unless I trade, of course, but in that case I want to make sure I have a good pin in good shape that I can trade for other good pins in good shape.

To sum up: What should I look for on the machine, and how do I know $1200 is a fair price and that I'm not getting ripped off? And should I pass on this and wait for something else? Really wanted a Diner, which I enjoy somewhat more (Like the rules, sound, layout, and especially the art better. Absolutely gorgeous game!), but the multiplayer doesn't seem as good as Taxi's. Really want a game that I'll enjoy and be challenged by, but also a game my family will enjoy. Thanks for any help! (And for reading my lengthy post! )

#785 8 years ago

Mystman12:

Rule number 1 of hunting pins is to never reveal where the pin you're hunting is located.

Chances are you've just altered a few others to your find.

#786 8 years ago

Ha, yeah, thought about that. Thing is at this rate, I've made as much contact with the seller as I possibly can. Plus it's already become obvious from other pinsiders I'm not the only one! If I get it, cool, but I'm fine if this ends up passing by me as well. There'll be more opportunities later!

#787 8 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

it longer for something more trustworthy to come up? Looking for a good, family friendly starter pin that both me and my friends (wh

Taxi was my first pin about 2 years ago and I still love it. It is a great first pin for the family! I'm fairly sure I bought it from the same seller. I don't know him well, but I bought a couple machines from him and he's a good guy from what I know. It sounds like he was swamped with emails because he offered a very low price, so I suspect he's having a hard time responding back to everyone.

If the machine works like it's supposed to then $1200 is a great deal on a Taxi. With the glass off, you can test to make sure all the shots and ramps work and that playfield is not badly damaged. Then just make sure the cabinet is not falling apart or that batteries have not leaked on the circuit boards in the head.

Good luck with your quest!

#788 8 years ago

Yup, even if there are cosmetic issues with that Taxi (and it's a Lola) assuming it works okay, $1,200 is dirt cheap these days.

#789 8 years ago

I had a diner. It's good.. taxi is still here.

#790 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I had a diner. It's good.. taxi is still here.

The best thing about Diner is the 3d Backglass artwork. Taxi > Diner.

#791 8 years ago

Agreed.

I think taxi is king of system 11s. I've owned the tops too.

Still need a mousin though.

#792 8 years ago

I wonder if anyone has a "preferred" ROM? Now that I've got mine nice and playable again, I notice there are a few bugs. It seems like sometimes coming out of multiball, it doesn't recognize when both balls have been drained, and it doesn't do a ball search to figure it out. Not sure of the exact sequence to get this to happen, but it has happened a couple of times. Kind of annoying to have to turn the game off and on part way through.

Is there a most stable ROM that people prefer?

#793 8 years ago

For those interested, here are the completed pictures of my dad's Taxi that we have been restoring over the last year. You can go to the beginning of that thread to see the process and where it started

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-restore-playfield-cab-everything-tons-of-pics/page/3#post-2904092

1 week later
#794 8 years ago

Soon to be member, picking up my Taxi tonight! Always wanted one.

CPR playfield, all new top side, chromed trim and Xpin displays.

I know it needs some tweaking (inlanes and spinout/plunger) Looking forward to post my impressions.

#795 8 years ago

Anyone have a new plastic set they are parting out? I am looking for the back left piece that covers the 'joyride' hole. Sits under the departures ramp.

Would also be interested in a nice used one, if anyone has it... Thanks guys!

#796 8 years ago

Is the actuator for the catapult switch (5647-12133-12) mounted forward or rear? Don't have access to my machine.

#797 8 years ago

Any idea what this piece of plastic for? Got it with 2 screws in the loose parts bag when I brought Taxi home.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#798 8 years ago

looks like a switch holder. maybe for a roll over lane? i think that era used metal brackets tho.

#799 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

looks like a switch holder. maybe for a roll over lane? i think that era used metal brackets tho.

That might be right, why would someone remove that switch to move a taxi? Where would it go?

#800 8 years ago

I confirm, it's a micro switch bracket. Where does it go?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 3,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 74.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-club-members-only/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.