(Topic ID: 100434)

Taxi Bell Rings on Power-On (U43 555 Timer Chip Issues)

By UvulaBob

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pages from Williams_1986_High_Speed_Instruction_Manual (1)a.PNG
IMG_1786.JPG
IMG_1785.JPG
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I've run into issues with CMOS 555 timers not working where non-CMOS ones do. If you have a Radioshack nearby, they probably sell both standard and CMOS 555 timers. I know mine does at least. I've not run into this with a pinball board, but on an 80's era piece of computer hardware. I honestly can't even remember what it was, but I discovered it by accident, then confirmed it by reading about the differences between them.

That is very interesting. I will have to check my timers, I know I have a few different part numbers.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, but you need a SHARP pair of micro diags.
Look for a good brand like Xcelite.

I bought Plato cutters when I broke my last pair of Xcelite.

I wish I'd bought more Xcelites.

The platos aren't as good.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I've run into issues with CMOS 555 timers not working where non-CMOS ones do. If you have a Radioshack nearby, they probably sell both standard and CMOS 555 timers. I know mine does at least. I've not run into this with a pinball board, but on an 80's era piece of computer hardware. I honestly can't even remember what it was, but I discovered it by accident, then confirmed it by reading about the differences between them.

Does anyone know if they even made CMOS 555 timers in 1988? If not, my gut tells me this is almost certainly the problem.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from skquinn:

If not, my gut tells me this is almost certainly the problem.

The timer I'm using right now is not a CMOS version. It's the NTE 955M. In any case, I'm seeing the same symptoms with the timer chip in as I am with it out. I'm going to gut and replace the Power-On-Reset section of the board and see if that fixes anything. If that doesn't work, then I'll get to work on the leg-lifting.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

The timer I'm using right now is not a CMOS version. It's the NTE 955M. In any case, I'm seeing the same symptoms with the timer chip in as I am with it out. I'm going to gut and replace the Power-On-Reset section of the board and see if that fixes anything. If that doesn't work, then I'll get to work on the leg-lifting.

I assumed the 955m was a CMOS version. It is probably safe to assume your timer IC is fine.

I'm working on a system 9 board right now that has a bad reset circuit, IRQ, & VMA, so I feel the pain. I've replaced at least 8 74xx logic ICs already, replaced CPUs, RAM, and 2 PIAs as I assumed it was a cascade failure from someone connecting the wrong cabinet interconnectors. At least I got a clock and E signal on it right now.... I hate the number 7 though currently.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-bell-rings-on-power-on/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.