Taxi Backbox Lights Dim

By Pinball_Eddie

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 8 years ago

Just when I thought everything was going good, another issue popped up.

I was going through the top of the playfield replacing the lights with LED's and as I was fixing to start on the backbox, I noticed the left side of the lights were very dim. I tried replacing one of the dimmed lights and when I plugged in the LED, all the lights on the left side went out, about 7 or so. The LED I put in was a comet 1 SMD LED. When I took it out, the other left side lights came back on but are still dimmed. The lights currently installed are small frosted dome LED's and I just wanted to put some brighter LED's in.

So not sure what could have happened while I was replacing the top playfield lights to cause this? I did accidentally pop off a switch wire on a ramp that I had to resolder but didn't notice anything else?

Hoping it's something simple.

Thanks for any help.

#2 8 years ago

Possible coincidence.
The main problem with System 11 GI is connector burn at the interconnect board below the MPU. Examine the connectors on the right side area of the interconnect board. Anything toasty?

Read up here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Games_From_Taxi_to_Bugs_Bunny.27s_Birthday_Ball

There is probably a GI relay on the back of the lamp insert panel too. Those connectors are usually suspect too.

--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 8 years ago

I checked all the connectors and none are burnt. Not sure what to check in regards to the relay on the back of the backbox. I'll check out that link, appreciate the help.

Thanks for any other suggestions.

#4 8 years ago

Well the darnedest thing, I took out another one of the dimmed lights then all of a sudden they are working again, very odd but I'm thankful.

Thanks for the help.

#5 8 years ago

Ok, turned on Taxi tonight and once again the left side of the backbox LED's were all dim. I started jiggling a few of the dimmed LED'S and they flickered a little. So I opened the backbox and jiggled the yellow cube (relay I think) and they all came back on.

I found a couple other threads here and other places that mention this same type of behavior and the consensus is that it's probably either the connector or I need to reflow solder to the pins.

I'll post an update after I find a fix that works.

#6 8 years ago

Reflow the joints and it will most likely be fixed.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks Blackbeard, while I was rebuilding the flippers today I went ahead and reflowed all the joints on the relay board and after installing it, I tried jiggling the relay like before but this time there was no sign of flickering or dimming at all. So it looks like that was the culprit. I'll post another update if the issue returns.

#8 8 years ago

I need to stop jinxing myself by saying things are fixed and are working normally LOL

Well the issue apparently isn't fixed as it happened again tonight. Yesterday I reflowed all the joints on that backbox relay board and thought that would fix this but it didn't. I'm no expert at soldering but reflowing the solder wasn't that difficult as it's just quickly heating the joint to liquify the existing solder and then adding new solder. Afterwards I checked the connections and pins on the reverse side to ensure none were loose and they all seemed good as they also seemed good before I did this.

So, perhaps the actual relay on the board is bad so I'll just order an entire new board with relay already installed to see if that fixes it once an for all.

#9 8 years ago

You should turn the game on and run a GI test. Then, while the GI is lit, try jiggling the wiring near the relay board. You may have a kink somewhere that may turn up. Just be careful as the power is on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taxi-backbox-lights-dim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.