• 50 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tx3.JPG
tx2.JPG
tx1.JPG
image-799.jpg
image-64.jpg
image-830.jpg
image-297.jpg
image-379.jpg
image-978.jpg
image-266.jpg
image-708.jpg
image-180.jpg
image-26.jpg
image-79.jpg
image-274.jpg
image-939.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Whats the most you would pay for a NICE Taxi?
Im looking for one and have been solicited by a few and the price seems to be all over.
Am I alone in thinking $2500 is "put down the pipe" range?

#2 6 years ago

Nope, you're not alone - $2500 is pretty high. That might be fair for a near-collector-quality game, but it's more than I'd ever pay for a Taxi.

#3 6 years ago

I would consider that price for a Marilyn Taxi.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

I would consider that price for a Marilyn Taxi.

It's my understanding that Marilyn/Lola doesn't really make a difference price wise. I've even heard it said that Lola is the rarer of the two.

#5 6 years ago

It's way to high unless new playfield and such.

#6 6 years ago

Not a bad price if the back box is made of gold.

#7 6 years ago

I will say, it seems like a lot of System 11 playfields are either blown out (like F14) or discolored and planking (most Bad Cats,) so I could see a CQ System 11 game fetching quite a premium...

...but if you want a nice-looking Taxi that plays well, you can probably get one for approximately half of that asking price.

#8 6 years ago

The highest ive seen them go for near me is like $1,300.00.

#9 6 years ago

No .. The right taxi is worth 2500. Look at my taxi

image-508.jpg image.jpg image-513.jpg image-694.jpg image-939.jpg image-26.jpg image-274.jpg image-79.jpg image-180.jpg image-708.jpg image-266.jpg image-978.jpg image-379.jpg image-297.jpg image-830.jpg image-64.jpg image-799.jpg
#10 6 years ago

Nice Taxi! Get the toothbrush out and clean the wax off those posts

#11 6 years ago

It's all led and has new parts 1 year ago this taxi is worth 2500

#12 6 years ago

IMO, if it had a NOS or Repro CC'd pf and no broken plastics, it would be worth it.
All the examples that I have seen are in rougher shape worth about 1300 to 1500.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Piparoo:

Nice Taxi! Get the toothbrush out and clean the wax off those posts

+1 It wouldn't let me give you a "thumbs up" so I had to quote it!
You could also buy a couple new ones

#14 6 years ago

I've yet to see a nice looking taxi in person I bought a junker and i am about 2 hours away from finishing my Playfield swap. Around here the crap ones tend to sell around 1200. I think for 2500 it'd have to be a repro Playfield new plastics good side art, etc. then yeah maybe paying that kind of money is okay. People want to pay bottom dollar because it's the price that sticks in their heads from past sales, not relative to the condition of the individual machine. So you might not ever sell a taxi for $2500 but that may be what it would take to get one that's "perfect". Ridiculously fun game btw

#15 6 years ago

I would pay that but it would have to be perfect. Like really f'n nice.

#16 6 years ago

I'd say you are correct. $2500 is crack pipe. There are too many quality games competing in the $2500 range.
$1500+ for a very good condition shopped one.
-mof

#17 6 years ago

well since the game is 10/10 in my book; it's a deal.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from MNpinballplayer:

It looks fantastic, but it's still a taxi and not worth 2500. You may have that into it, but being upside down on a game does not make it worth more.

#19 6 years ago

What pins can you find that have long term play for 2500.. In same conditions as mine.

#20 6 years ago

If you could find a near mint Taxi for $2500 and want one, I wouldn't hesitate. I'll have an easy $2K in mine by the time I'm done. How many blown out taxi playfields do you guys see for every really nice one? Until I got my CPR playfield, I hadn't seen a nice one since ~1989.

Chris

#21 6 years ago

Wow. 2.5K for a Taxi. It would have to be spotless.

#23 6 years ago

$2500? The seller and the price are both high.

#24 6 years ago

image.jpg 2 MB

image-513.jpg 2 MB

image-508.jpg 2 MB

image-694.jpg 2 MB

image-939.jpg 2 MB

image-274.jpg 2 MB

image-79.jpg 2 MB

image-26.jpg 2 MB

image-180.jpg 2 MB

image-708.jpg 2 MB

image-266.jpg 2 MB

image-978.jpg 2 MB

image-379.jpg 2 MB

image-297.jpg 2 MB

image-830.jpg 2 MB

image-64.jpg 2 MB

image-799.jpg 2 MB

it is a nice taxi, but it still suffers from the clean mylar area to the yellowed non mylar, lower pop ring has wear, very typical, but way better than most. Most average Taxi's are $700-800 games. yours being on the higher end could fetch $1200-1400 ish.

For a taxi to command $2500, it would have to be a bryan Kelly or C.H. balls deep restoration inside and out.

#25 6 years ago

It's like this.. Most taxi that do sell on pinside cl or even e bay all cost around 1700 for taxi that doesn't have any restore work shows a wear around pop bumpers like wood showing and may have other wear spots around the pin. It doesn't mater if its a Lola or marlin I would agree to that but besides from play field it'd their going to have marks on the cab or problems with the spin out. To find taxi with restore work completed new parts and LEDs is worth 2500. Unless you want something scuff up and looking to find just players pin 1700 would be good start. You have to look At what you are getting for 2500

#26 6 years ago

A shopped Taxi in decent shape goes for around $1500. It would have to be pretty darn nice to be worth $2500.

I bought an unshopped one about 6 months ago for $925.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Most average Taxi's are $700-800 games.

What do you consider "average"? I think you are way low on your estimate on market but at least you are predictably low.

#28 6 years ago

What pins can you find that have long term play for 2500.. In same conditions as mine.

Pinbot, BoP, space shuttle, player grade fun house, high speed, most any other sys 11, roadshow, corvette, getaway. That's off the top of my head.

#29 6 years ago

$2500 is insane for a Taxi. It was a sub $1k game about 2 years ago...these days, I'd say about $1400 average.

#30 6 years ago

I just picked up a "Lola" for 1100.00 2 weeks ago. It needs a little love, but it's 100% playable. I've always wanted Taxi (I could care less about Marilyn or Lola) but I could never pay 2,500.00 for a Taxi. Waaaay to many other options out there for that price....good luck

#31 6 years ago

I have a space shuttle that has a new pf in it among other things, I'm into it for over 1200. That does not mean if I sold it I would expect to get that much, it's still a space shuttle

#32 6 years ago

I would say $2500 would have to have a new playfield, perfect cab and no broken plastics. Perfect IMO. Nice ones go for $1800 around here and heavy wear would be $1200 or less.

#33 6 years ago

Usually I like a super high end machine like yours to not have dried caked on novus in almost every crevice of it.

#34 6 years ago

It's like this.. Most taxi that do sell on pinside cl or even e bay all cost around 1700 for taxi that doesn't have any restore work shows a wear around pop bumpers like wood showing and may have other wear spots around the pin. It doesn't mater if its a Lola or marlin I would agree to that but besides from play field it'd their going to have marks on the cab or problems with the spin out. To find taxi with restore work completed new parts and LEDs is worth 2500. Unless you want something scuff up and looking to find just players pin 1700 would be good start. You have to look At what you are getting for 2500

If we were talking about your T2 maybe...best I've ever seen

#35 6 years ago

That doesn't make it a $2,500 taxi.

#36 6 years ago

LOL.. Follows the pricing formula I've seen coming out of some areas of Michigan lately. Buy for Price/2, sell for Price*2....

#37 6 years ago

Most of the games below meet your goal and they are NOT 2500.

High Speed, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, SOF, Diner, F-14, Pinbot, Dr. Dude, Radical!, HardBody, Atlantis, Time Machine, Phantom OTO, Checkpoint, Batman.

But hey, whose counting.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Most of the games below meet your goal and they are NOT 2500.
... Hardbody...
But hey, whose counting.

Hardbody? really?

#39 6 years ago

The RIGHT Taxi would be worth $2,500 to me. It would have to be immaculate though.

#40 6 years ago

It's a great, well designed, and fun pinball game. Just happens to be a bad theme. It happens in pinball all the time. Dr. Dude as well = worst idea ever that turned into a great game because of the people that designed it.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It's a great, well designed, and fun pinball game. Just happens to be a bad theme. It happens in pinball all the time. Dr. Dude as well = worst idea ever that turned into a great game because of the people that designed it.

The guy who brought his Hardbody to York was begging folks to make an offer (it was already priced at $450) - I'd be tempted if I had the space. Would be a cool machine to have at a gym with a sense of humor...

#42 6 years ago

My $900 Marilyn - about 1 year ago.

tx1.JPG tx2.JPG tx3.JPG
#43 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

My $900 Marilyn - about 1 year ago.

tx1.JPG 128 KB

tx2.JPG 113 KB

tx3.JPG 127 KB

that's the going rate as well. My dad has bought 3 of them all $900. One he parted out to make the other 2 better, and have one to play while he restores the other.

But just because it's affordable doesn't mean it's not a great game. As it is, most of the time. Price has absolutely no reflection on fun factor when it comes to pins. Many games are very affordable, and blow out high end pieces of crap all day long. Just because of brand name or hype around a specific title. Problem is, the newbs don't realize this and only go after big ticket games, due to hype or a status thing. nothing to do with actual fun to play.

#44 6 years ago

Just to stir the cup a bit...

Taxi's a fun pin but I'd rather have a Diner.

Dave

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Just to stir the cup a bit...
Taxi's a fun pin but I'd rather have a Diner.
Dave

Diner is the upgraded version of Taxi.

#46 6 years ago

Yours is very nice, and I mean no disrespect by this, but I find it hard to picture that Taxi selling for $2500. It looks like there may be some yellowing in the areas not under mylar (look at the bottom of the playfield, and in front of the left ramp.) There's minor wear by rollovers above the pop bumpers. Also, when I first went through the pictures, I thought I saw a slight bit of planking visible.

There may be a $2500 Taxi, but that Taxi doesn't have those (minor) cosmetic flaws.

There are still nicer Fish Tales out there for less, and many would argue Fish Tales is the better game. (I personally probably couldn't choose between the two.)

#47 6 years ago

methinks one poster in this thread has fallen into the "this is how much money i've put into this machine, ergo, this is what the machine is worth" trap...

a trap that many fall into with "mods" as well...

#48 6 years ago

1200 to 1500 seems to be the norm to me - of course a super nice one could fetch more than that, but it would have to be perfect.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

The guy who brought his Hardbody to York was begging folks to make an offer (it was already priced at $450) - I'd be tempted if I had the space. Would be a cool machine to have at a gym with a sense of humor...

I would have bought it for sure. I can't resist a good and obscure pinball... I've always been frustrated with the same 5-10 titles in everyone's gameroom. Gets very boring after years and years of EXPECTING people to own TZ and MB and AFM and LOTR and CV and TAF and WW and TOM and SS and so on and so on.

#50 6 years ago

If it's in super nice shape, for $2500 I can see. I doubt it's in nice shape though. Most are beat to hell.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside