(Topic ID: 87466)

Target: Wolverine! My solution to a crappy part.

By judremy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 360 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by judremy
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141016_161602.jpg
20141016_153518.jpg
20141016_164425.jpg
X-Men LE Playfield.jpg
wolviebusts.jpg
IMG_1212[1].JPG
IMG_1210[1].JPG
IMG_1208[1].JPG
20141013_120903.jpg
20141013_125754.jpg
20141013_125813.jpg
20141013_125730.jpg
20141013_130902.jpg
20141003_162952.jpg
20141003_161951.jpg
I-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together.jpg
There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

As far as I can see...the pic I posted doesn't have the Wolverine exaggerating anything (since he isn't there). I hear people say that it will work fine on the LE, but have yet to see any video of it working correctly (and the magnet catching the ball) even on a Pro. If your feelings are hurt by me voicing reasonable concerns, I am sorry. I just don't see a ball going from flipper to captive ball on the LE and then the magnet catching it. Maybe it will, but until I see it or at least get word that it actually works on a LE....I have my doubts.
As for me only being satisfied with a recut LE playfield....I wouldn't say that at all. I'm guessing a reworked LE specific base that Mezel is working on should work just fine if the angle can be adjusted correctly. That should be an improvement in both durability as well as mounting position.
So hooray for the pro owners! It sounds like you have multiple options to choose from. As for the LE owners...I still haven't seen a fix for us yet. Prove me wrong and take my money.

If you look at it, and where the captive ball would be, the magnet would still pulse and still throw or grab the ball. I will be doing some testing this week once I have the switch adjusted. I agree that the TMezel solution seems to be best for LE models. Again, I don't even know if the other solution will be made available.

#352 9 years ago

as my figurine's screw hole portion of the plastic is busted and basically now unusable with the arm trapping balls, I'm interested in your captive ball solution, judremy. Looking forward to when I can actually play it again.
The Mezel's protector looks like a good solution for keeping your figurine intact and playable, it sounds like.

#353 9 years ago

Nice work Tim. Glad to hear that the LE is up next!

#354 9 years ago

Here is a brief video showing how well it works. I was pretty surprised as this was my first time using it after doing some tweaks. Will take another video from the flipper area this weekend if possible.

#355 9 years ago

Some more pics. You don't need a rubber on the back right side. This gives the captive ball the clearance to hit the switch.

20141016_164425.jpg20141016_164425.jpg
20141016_153518.jpg20141016_153518.jpg
20141016_161602.jpg20141016_161602.jpg

#356 9 years ago

Good work Judremy. That's exactly how I'd pictured it in my mind.

My design (again, in my mind) would need a thin plate to cover the slot in the PF.

Not dissimilar to KMEs design using stock Stern parts.

But ideally, the whole assy needs to be short, like yours is.

I think your design solves the problem, to be honest. Plug and play, easy peasy.

Then you can stick whatever Xmen design you want on the top. So simple.

Make me one. Please

rd.

#357 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Good work Judremy. That's exactly how I'd pictured it in my mind.
My design (again, in my mind) would need a thin plate to cover the slot in the PF.
Not dissimilar to KMEs design using stock Stern parts.
But ideally, the whole assy needs to be short, like yours is.
I think your design solves the problem, to be honest. Plug and play, easy peasy.
Then you can stick whatever Xmen design you want on the top. So simple.
Make me one. Please
rd.

The biggest issue is working with the existing holes. Cannot do a standard pinball as the captive ball due to the spacing of the post holes which already exist. Hence, you are left with using a 3/4" ball with the riser. You also need somewhere to mount the newton ball. I guess you could use a stern captive ball setup, but again, you would have to put holes in your playfield.

#358 9 years ago

Anyone have connections with someone that works in a machine shop and could make these out of steel with a zinc coating? I am currently trying to find someone. Though mine is made of aluminum, it would seem better to make the real ones out of something stronger (the zinc coating is to prevent rusting). I also need to find out how many people would be interested in this. It would have to be enough to warrant all the footwork.

#359 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Anyone have connections with someone that works in a machine shop and could make these out of steel with a zinc coating? I am currently trying to find someone. Though mine is made of aluminum, it would seem better to make the real ones out of something stronger (the zinc coating is to prevent rusting). I also need to find out how many people would be interested in this. It would have to be enough to warrant all the footwork.

Nothing wrong with Aluminium in my view. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only contact point with anything is where the small ball runs along the top after being hit?

That should last for 50 years. Minimum.

A milled block of Aluminium is strong as hell. That's why its used extensively in race cars. Light and strong.

As far as qtys, does your friend have a CNC mill? If so, he can program it in and spit them out whenever you need them. The orders will flow in after a few guys get them set up and spread the word on how awesome they are.

rd.

#360 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Nothing wrong with Aluminium in my view. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only contact point with anything is where the small ball runs along the top after being hit?
That should last for 50 years. Minimum.
A milled block of Aluminium is strong as hell. That's why its used extensively in race cars. Light and strong.
As far as qtys, does your friend have a CNC mill? If so, he can program it in and spit them out whenever you need them. The orders will flow in after a few guys get them set up and spread the word on how awesome they are.
rd.

The guy who made mine has noticed the ball is "hopping" when the newton ball is struck. He thinks it may have to do with the balls' center points being aligned. He also said that maybe lowering the riser slightly would remove this as the transfer would happen at a different point and maybe not cause such a result. I will run it by him to see if he would make a few, but I would need to know who wants one 100% with the understanding of no guarantees on how long it will last and that there would be a few more parts you would have to buy on your own (I can post the links to the parts on Marco's).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.