(Topic ID: 87466)

Target: Wolverine! My solution to a crappy part.

By judremy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 360 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by judremy
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141016_161602.jpg
20141016_153518.jpg
20141016_164425.jpg
X-Men LE Playfield.jpg
wolviebusts.jpg
IMG_1212[1].JPG
IMG_1210[1].JPG
IMG_1208[1].JPG
20141013_120903.jpg
20141013_125754.jpg
20141013_125813.jpg
20141013_125730.jpg
20141013_130902.jpg
20141003_162952.jpg
20141003_161951.jpg
I-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together.jpg
There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 9 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

How about a captive ball solution with an animated toy on top that moves when the ball hits the switch?
-c

I have something of this nature, but the future of it remains to be seen. All I can say is patience...

#302 9 years ago

I need one more US tester for the Pro.

#303 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Why always US testers?

#304 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Why always US testers?

You can be my exception, just a bit cheaper on shipping. You in?

#305 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

So in!

#308 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Why always US testers?

Quoted from Tmezel:

I-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together.jpgI-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together.jpg
2 weeks later
#309 9 years ago

just wondering where this project is at? my wolvie broke AGAIN... fell of his post and broken at the belt. this is home use only... this is ridiculous.

#310 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballsteph:

just wondering where this project is at? my wolvie broke AGAIN... fell of his post and broken at the belt. this is home use only... this is ridiculous.

Sorry for the bad timing. I will be releasing a limited amount for the Pro next week. I was trying to troubleshoot a potential fit issue and I think that is resolved as of yesterday. For those that purchase, we will have a decal for the belt buckle that we will send it post purchase.

Quartergrabber's tester will go out today.

#311 9 years ago

sweet, I have a pro!. will wait patiently.

quartergrabber is in ottawa also!. small world.

#312 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballsteph:

sweet, I have a pro!. will wait patiently.
quartergrabber is in ottawa also!. small world.

Yes you programed my police 911 rom, thanks Go to this guy for specialty rom programming, he'll really work to help you out and he's one cool dude

#313 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Sorry for the bad timing. I will be releasing a limited amount for the Pro next week. I was trying to troubleshoot a potential fit issue and I think that is resolved as of yesterday. For those that purchase, we will have a decal for the belt buckle that we will send it post purchase.
Quartergrabber's tester will go out today.

Can you put up a picture of the decal? (I thought you said you hated decals?)

Maybe you can include one when you send back my bash assembly. (No hurry on this)

#314 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Can you put up a picture of the decal? (I thought you said you hated decals?)
Maybe you can include one when you send back my bash assembly. (No hurry on this)

I did hate decals, but we have found a manufacturer the laminates the vinyl decals with a reliable covering. Trying to have them ready for next week.

#315 9 years ago

TMezel:

Would sending a "Pro" Wolverine bracket to an LE owner and having them carve out the back to get the angle be worth it or did you figure it out already?

#316 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

TMezel:
Would sending a "Pro" Wolverine bracket to an LE owner and having them carve out the back to get the angle be worth it or did you figure it out already?

I think I can figure it out and get some tested.

#317 9 years ago

If you need I can remove the assembly and measure the angle.

#318 9 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

If you need I can remove the assembly and measure the angle.

I have all the parts just need to refresh myself with the angle and other details and get on this.

#319 9 years ago

The LE cutout is 20 degrees off.
I can test and tweak it if needed.
20141003_161951.jpg20141003_161951.jpg

#320 9 years ago

My Bash toy sits about 3/8" above the playfield without any ramp interference. 20141003_162952.jpg20141003_162952.jpg

#321 9 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

My Bash toy sits about 3/8" above the playfield without any ramp interference.

20141003_162952.jpg 251 KB

It shouldn't have to sit up like that though. The LE setup doesn't make any sense to me. (NOTE: This comment is aimed towards Stern and the placement they did)

#322 9 years ago

It doesn't have to sit up like that but if it is too low the ball will hang on the arm.
The playfield was at an incline when I took the pic so it may look higher up.
I rechecked it with the playfield level and it is 1/4" above.

1 week later
#323 9 years ago

Here is a look at the Newton ball I am adding.

In one of the pictures you well see a green target. I removed that to have better clearance.

completed assemblycompleted assembly
with 3/4 ballwith 3/4 ball
without 3/4 ballwithout 3/4 ball
without Newton ballwithout Newton ball
side view outside machineside view outside machine

#324 9 years ago

I got my tester on Thursday and have been bashing Wolverine like crazy since, I probably put 200 games on the tester so far and it does it's job really well! Some things that I would like to note:

- Super easy to install, even I could do it
- Very nice looking ecstatically, doesn't stick out like a sore thumb
- I was worried that this protector would make the Beast shot harder to make but to my disbelief it actually made it easier to hit. I think it is because it holds Wolverine very sturdily upright opening the lane up more where before he was kind of leaning to the side. But since this protector has been on I find it much easier to hit the Beast shot.
- I was also worried that with the protector on, hits wouldn't resister all the time but they do. EVERY time I hit Wolverine the hit registered, even on light hits.
- The ball slides off of it very nicely do to its very smooth surface almost like it is coated in Teflon.
- Something else that was really nice was the protector raises Wolverine up ever so slightly which is awesome because before the protector when I got Magneto Multiball the balls would hit Wolverines arm and break apart. Now they roll nicely under his arm and stay all together like they are supposed to.

All and all I am really enjoying game play with this protector on and it really does its job well, so well Stern even copied it on TWD
If you own an Xmen, especially if you have one on route I believe this protector is a must. Thanks for creating this Tim & judremy and thanks so much for letting me test it

IMG_1208[1].JPGIMG_1208[1].JPG

IMG_1210[1].JPGIMG_1210[1].JPG

IMG_1212[1].JPGIMG_1212[1].JPG

#325 9 years ago

If you own an Xmen, especially if you have one on route I believe this protector is a must. Thanks for creating this Tim and thanks so much for letting me test it

No thanks for me getting this ball rolling? Not to brag, but I was the one who reached out to TMezel to got him involved knowing he has done great things and his 3D builds are awesome. Heck, I sent him my bash assembly as it would have been silly for him to spend the money on one (someone else sent him their Wolverine figure which was great). After seeing a 100+ post thread of people complaining, I felt someone had to step up. I got my stuff moving a bit, but needs testing once I fully get it installed. I believe that multiple solutions are great to have as it gives people a choice, but for the simplest change with the least impact to the "out of the box" game, it would be TMezel's solution.

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

No thanks for me getting this ball rolling? Not to brag, but I was the one who reached out to TMezel to got him involved knowing he has done great things and his 3D builds are awesome. Heck, I sent him my bash assembly as it would have been silly for him to spend the money on one (someone else sent him their Wolverine figure which was great). After seeing a 100+ post thread of people complaining, I felt someone had to step up. I got my stuff moving a bit, but needs testing once I fully get it installed. I believe that multiple solutions are great to have as it gives people a choice, but for the simplest change with the least impact to the "out of the box" game, it would be TMezel's solution.

Sorry didn't know the backround story of this mod. I edited my post
I think Tim's mod is good for people like me that like the look of the original Wolverine Bash toy and the mod you created is good for people that think Wolverine is too big and needs to be replaced with something else. Either way now we have two choices, one for each group of people. Thanks guys for making these

#327 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Here is a look at the Newton ball I am adding.
In one of the pictures you well see a green target. I removed that to have better clearance.
completed assembly
with 3/4 ball
without 3/4 ball
without Newton ball
side view outside machine

After a lot of experimentation and buggering around, I concur ... this is the way to go.

There's no way around it ... The original Wolfy figure is just too big and he has to go.

I have a BW captive ball to install (like TOTAN) but haven't got around to it yet.

Your milled block looks very good too ... Will you get around to selling a few of them?

rd.

#328 9 years ago

I personally would like to try both of these on my LE. They both look great, TMezels more stock, but judremys will allow for me to put the Astonishing X-Men Wolverine bust in the game that i think would look awesome:

wolviebusts.jpgwolviebusts.jpg

#329 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

After a lot of experimentation and buggering around, I concur ... this is the way to go.
There's no way around it ... The original Wolfy figure is just too big and he has to go.
I have a BW captive ball to install (like TOTAN) but haven't got around to it yet.
Your milled block looks very good too ... Will you get around to selling a few of them?
rd.

I have to talk to the guy that made this one for me. I supplied the idea and the parts list that he needed to buy, but he came up with the design. I suggested "filling in" the gap and then adding a newton ball. What he made is great. May need some minor fine tuning. If he is open to producing them, I would do a preorder list so we don't make more than needed. It would be a limited run.

#330 9 years ago

Once I get the switch tuned, I will post the clearance to the glass and maybe even a video.

#331 9 years ago

I am up for one of the Chastity Belts when you finally sell them. May be in the market for other versions as well depending on how they look.

#332 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I have to talk to the guy that made this one for me. I supplied the idea and the parts list that he needed to buy, but he came up with the design. I suggested "filling in" the gap and then adding a newton ball. What he made is great. May need some minor fine tuning. If he is open to producing them, I would do a preorder list so we don't make more than needed. It would be a limited run.

It would save me a job ....

Dave.

#333 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I would do a preorder list so we don't make more than needed. It would be a limited run.

I'd be in.

#334 9 years ago

Either way now we have two choices, one for each group of people.

Two choices....as long as you don't have an LE.

#335 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Two choices....as long as you don't have an LE.

Why wouldn't judremy's one work for you?

#336 9 years ago

I would like one as well,the newton ball one . I think that both of these are great alternatives .

#337 9 years ago

Why wouldn't judremy's one work for you?

Captive ball would be way left of the magnet with likely 0 change of the magnet ever catching the ball after a Wolvie hit that starts Weapon X multiball.

#338 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Captive ball would be way left of the magnet with likely 0 change of the magnet ever catching the ball after a Wolvie hit that starts Weapon X multiball.

Look at my pics. It isn't that different. The wolverine figure exaggerates the difference. You can see where the LE would be just by the wood looking area.

#339 9 years ago

Quartergrabber thanks for installing this. I will make an official post and start to work on the LE. Thanks to judremy and badbilly27 for loaning me the parts.

#340 9 years ago

IMG_1208[1].JPG 289 KB

Looks good, But I think it might have been better if we were able to cut the original belt off Wolverine
and attach it to the mod.

This way it can be the same size at the bottom and thus allowing the mod to have the belt emblem
still showing.

Just a thought

#341 9 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Looks good, But I think it might have been better if we were able to cut the original belt off Wolverine
and attach it to the mod.
This way it can be the same size at the bottom and thus allowing the mod to have the belt emblem
still showing.
Just a thought

We are going to add on laminated decal for the belt buckle.

#342 9 years ago

I'm worried about adding extra width to an already tight shot.

Why can't we cut away with the belt and have the same size width mod reinstalled?
Could then be filled within the body so stop tearing from the sides etc

#344 9 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

I'm worried about adding extra width to an already tight shot.
Why can't we cut away with the belt and have the same size width mod reinstalled?
Could then be filled within the body so stop tearing from the sides etc

Trust me the extra "size" doesn't affect anything, in fact I find it easier to hit the beast shot now after installing the protector.

#345 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Added to the site, we will ship these when we return from Expo.
http://mezelmods.com/products/x-men-wolverine-pro-bracket

$15 wow you're a nice guy Tim. Also I didn't know that metal piece was supposed to go at the back of the bracket where the screw heads are. Oops, I put it where it originally was on wolverines back or the front of the bracket. Do I need to uninstall and put the metal bracket at the back now? And I couldn't figure out where those clear circles went so I left them out.

#346 9 years ago

$15 wow you're a nice guy Tim. Also I didn't know that metal piece was supposed to go at the back of the bracket where the screw heads are. Oops, I put it where it originally was on wolverines back or the front of the bracket. Do I need to uninstall and put the metal bracket at the back now? And I couldn't figure out where those clear circles went so I left them out.

You don't need the bracket, I should put a clean picture up. The circles are free sample hex holders for the spotlights that move over time. They are self threading.

#347 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Look at my pics. It isn't that different. The wolverine figure exaggerates the difference. You can see where the LE would be just by the wood looking area.

From the pics of the bare playfield...it's looks like a pretty sizable difference to me.

X-Men LE Playfield.jpgX-Men LE Playfield.jpg

#348 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

From the pics of the bare playfield...it's looks like a pretty sizable difference to me.

X-Men LE Playfield.jpg 295 KB

The captive ball itself will be right in front of the magnet. Ideal placement.

While the whole assembly will be on a slight angle, the ball will hit the captive ball in the right place.

The idea works for me.

rd.

#349 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

X-Men LE Playfield.jpg 295 KB

As others have said, it is NOT that big of an angle. The Wolverine toy exaggerates it. If you have convinced yourself, it is fine. "My solution" may not even be made, so you may have even less to worry about.

The only thing that would make you happy it seems is to design a new hybrid playfield with the slot cut in the Pro spot, but everything else for the LE. Not going to happen, so "Let it go".

#350 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

As others have said, it is NOT that big of an angle. The Wolverine toy exaggerates it. If you have convinced yourself, it is fine. "My solution" may not even be made, so you may have even less to worry about.
The only thing that would make you happy it seems is to design a new hybrid playfield with the slot cut in the Pro spot, but everything else for the LE. Not going to happen, so "Let it go".

As far as I can see...the pic I posted doesn't have the Wolverine exaggerating anything (since he isn't there). I hear people say that it will work fine on the LE, but have yet to see any video of it working correctly (and the magnet catching the ball) even on a Pro. If your feelings are hurt by me voicing reasonable concerns, I am sorry. I just don't see a ball going from flipper to captive ball on the LE and then the magnet catching it. Maybe it will, but until I see it or at least get word that it actually works on a LE....I have my doubts.

As for me only being satisfied with a recut LE playfield....I wouldn't say that at all. I'm guessing a reworked LE specific base that Mezel is working on should work just fine if the angle can be adjusted correctly. That should be an improvement in both durability as well as mounting position.

So hooray for the pro owners! It sounds like you have multiple options to choose from. As for the LE owners...I still haven't seen a fix for us yet. Prove me wrong and take my money.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-wolverine-my-solution-to-a-crappy-part/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.