(Topic ID: 87466)

Target: Wolverine! My solution to a crappy part.

By judremy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 360 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by judremy
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141016_161602.jpg
20141016_153518.jpg
20141016_164425.jpg
X-Men LE Playfield.jpg
wolviebusts.jpg
IMG_1212[1].JPG
IMG_1210[1].JPG
IMG_1208[1].JPG
20141013_120903.jpg
20141013_125754.jpg
20141013_125813.jpg
20141013_125730.jpg
20141013_130902.jpg
20141003_162952.jpg
20141003_161951.jpg
I-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together.jpg
There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 10 years ago

I think both the replacement target as well as the modified/ replaced OG bash toy are great options and should both be perused. I know id try (buy) both (or more) options and see which ones suited my liking for both ascetic and game play. I really like where all of this is heading.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

My priority is to make the original toy work with a minor modification. But based on the limited clearance, we may have to cut his belt off and a replacement piece will be made. Sounds like I should buy the assembly, I think I just convinced myself.

I looked at that as well and decided it wasn't viable. The Wolverine toy is hollow and thin. You have to cut off the plastic at least the height of a pinball. If you do that there is almost nothing left around the two mounting holes. The toy is failing as it is, cutting it down will weaken it further. I would just suggest removing the Wolverine toy temporarily and put one of those small round stick on felt pads on front of the bash switch. Then play the game to see how it feels with the Beast and Xavier shot wide open. If you like the feel of the game this way (you will) then you can decide whether or not to put back the original Wolverine toy or to proceed with a replacement. My scores and game times have gone up at least a third with big Wolvy out of there.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

suggest removing the Wolverine toy temporarily and put one of those small round stick on felt pads on front of the bash switch. Then play the game to see how it feels with the Beast and Xavier shot wide open. If you like the feel of the game this way (you will) then you can decide whether or not to put back the original Wolverine toy or to proceed with a replacement. My scores and game times have gone up at least a third with big Wolvy out of there.

good idea

is it hard to remove wolverine toy?

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

good idea
is it hard to remove wolverine toy?

Take off the right pop bumper cap (to get better access) and then take out the 2 screws in Wolvies back....off he comes.

Now getting him back on (in a decent position) is not nearly as easy a task.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Take off the right pop bumper cap (to get better access) and then take out the 2 screws in Wolvies back....off he comes.
Now getting him back on (in a decent position) is not nearly as easy a task.

I find it easier to get him on and off by unmounting from UNDER the playfield and then remounting. Much easier to get to the screws and you can do test fits over and over to check it out this way.

#106 10 years ago

The more I look at this mod the more I like it. I have a buddy that fabs things for me for work and he has a small (24"x24") CNC router that he uses to cut out metal flashing into detailed shapes for stuff I design. Cheaper than plastic, impervious to ball impacts, and you can design in the mounting bracket by just bending a lip along he bottom (Cliffy-style). I may experiment with that....... in all my spare time.

Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the Wolverine cutouts in the Pro and LE playfields? I would assume they are the same but don't know for sure.
I'm just getting mine dialed in. It seems to be spot on now. I just made it to Danger Room for the first time. This game really is a blast. I just have to play test a little while longer and let some friends try it out. Here's a picture with my Wolvies eyes lit up

P1010003.JPG 264 KB

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I find it easier to get him on and off by unmounting from UNDER the playfield and then remounting. Much easier to get to the screws and you can do test fits over and over to check it out this way.

Hmmm....I think that way is only easier with a Pro. The LE has a light on top of the mounting post that would have to be unsoldered to remove him that way. That's why it never even crossed my mind to unmount him from the bottom.

EDIT: Now that I think about it....I don't even know how you would do that with the Pro? Do you take it loose under the playfield and then tilt him forward so you can get to his back screws easier? If that is the case...you should be able to do that way with either the Pro or LE.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Hmmm....I think that way is only easier with a Pro. The LE has a light on top of the mounting post that would have to be unsoldered to remove him that way. That's why it never even crossed my mind to unmount him from the bottom.

I do it on my LE via this method and haven't had any issues with light, I just undid screw underside of the playfield, pull the assembly through just a little for it can lay down, then handle mounting or unmounting wolvie. Ive done it several times now and it seems to be the least aggravating way to do it for me.

1 week later
#109 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Any pictures? That was something I was thinking of doing, but couldn't figure out what to order and how it would all work.

Need to carve out Wolverine so it fits on top.wolviemod.jpgwolviemod.jpg

#110 9 years ago

pic3.jpgpic3.jpg

After reading these posts inspired me to see what I could come up with. I took some measurements and on my lunch break at work I knocked out this simple bracket for the target switch and the top plastic piece, it fits very nicely and should hold up quite well. I can make prints and post here if anyone is interested in making there own. It can be modified to suit any way you wish to attach to the playfield.I found this Wolverine figure on Amazon for $14 it is the Titan series I cut off the legs just below the belt line my plan is to install a flasher inside. It is still just a mock up I still need to create a decal for the top plastic and would like to paint some more detail on Wolverine and come up with a good secure way of mounting the figure.The base platform for the Wolverine figure can accommodate a variety of different options for what ever anyone would like on top of it. Hopefully I can get some spare time to finish this off.

pic1.jpgpic1.jpg pic2.jpgpic2.jpg pic4.jpgpic4.jpg pic5.jpgpic5.jpg
#111 9 years ago

Great work! How much to get the bracket and top plastic piece? Are you looking to make more or see if Cliffy can make them or someone else? What size screws did you use? Probably #6 but what length? Looks great! With my child and job, time was limited so I am glad someone was able to take this to the next level.

#112 9 years ago

All these ambitious people...and all with Pro models.

#113 9 years ago

This is how it should of came out of the factory!

#114 9 years ago

R4840 has done it. Nice.

How much? I don't even have XM yet, but am ready to buy this set up for my future one.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Great work! How much to get the bracket and top plastic piece? Are you looking to make more or see if Cliffy can make them or someone else? What size screws did you use? Probably #6 but what length? Looks great! With my child and job, time was limited so I am glad someone was able to take this to the next level.

I don't want to step on your toes or anybody's else that have been working on this. I am not looking to sell these I do own a business that does manufacturing and engineering but would rather just post the blue prints of these parts and let you or someone else run with it. I am not looking to make a Buck. I am not really sure how many people would be interested in this. If nobody dose take the cause and produce something then I could make a small run I would not charge for them but I would rather let someone else do it because I am overload at work and really don't have any free time. Yes I used #6 screws 2" long I used this size because it give you a little play in the alignment of the target the holes in the playfield can accommodate up to 8-32 . You could always drill out the 6-32 holes bigger if you want to use a different post.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from R4840:

I don't want to step on your toes or anybody's else that have been working on this. I am not looking to sell these I do own a business that does manufacturing and engineering but would rather just post the blue prints of these parts and let you or someone else run with it. I am not looking to make a Buck. I am not really sure how many people would be interested in this. If nobody dose take the cause and produce something then I could make a small run I would not charge for them but I would rather let someone else do it because I am overload at work and really don't have any free time. Yes I used #6 screws 2" long I used this size because it give you a little play in the alignment of the target the holes in the playfield can accommodate up to 8-32 . You could always drill out the 6-32 holes bigger if you want to use a different post.

I had to use #6 screws too because of the plastic posts. I would love it if you could make a run of these as I know many here would greatly appreciate it. I wasn't out for glory, I just didn't want the stock figure to break and I have even moved onto another new change for the table regarding Magneto. I will post a new thread about the Magneto mod. This time, it will all be over the counter parts and no special ones at all. Please, please, please do a run of these. I know you will get plenty of people.

#117 9 years ago

What is left of Wolvie grows some balls

wolvermod.jpgwolvermod.jpg

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from R4840:

I am not looking to make a Buck.

I'm just saying, I'm 100% cool with Pinsiders making a buck by providing a service and product that makes people's games better, and my guess is those people are happy to pay you. Understood if you don't have time to deal with it, I know all too well how much dealing with orders takes, but no one should feel bad charging for their time and effort.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

wolvermod.jpg 99 KB

That is the ultimate right there. I believe Borg's original plan was for a captive ball there(watch the promo video to see it on the whitewood). I have been thinking about doing something similar. Share your process, to same me some time and effort in the trial and error.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

All these ambitious people...and all with Pro models.

I played the pro for the first time ever yesterday and found the Beast shot so much easier. I hope someone can figure out a sellable mod that works for the LE, I was thinking I need to sell the LE since my Beast shot is like 20% accurate but if I could get a target mod like on this thread to open that up, I think the game will be much more enjoyable.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

This is how it should of came out of the factory!

You got that right, I think Stern or Borg might just get his deadline and say good enough. I would have liked this game far more if it had been allowed to be developed more.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

wolvermod.jpg 99 KB

Did you have to remove his left arm to get that figure to work? I wouldn't think that would be needed if you removed the appropriate amount from his lower part. What I mean is if you just cut off whatever the height of the mount is...the figure should still be the same height and his head the same distance from the playfield glass and arms the same distance from the playfield.

...and that's on an LE. Impressed. So did you have any trouble getting it angled right for the LE (since the mounting slot is cut pointing away from the magnet)? From that pic it looks like it may still be pulled to the left a bit.

So how does it play? Does the magnet still grab the ball as it normally would? Any issues with the game ball hitting the sides from the pop bumpers or the upper flipper?

How is Wolvie mounted? If you made an LE specific model of this....would it be possible to add a mounting post to what you have there....and that post also have a place to put the original flasher that was there?

I think I would be all in on a good LE solution...especially if I could use the same figure.

#123 9 years ago

wolvie2.jpgwolvie2.jpg

Quoted from DugFreez:Did you have to remove his left arm to get that figure to work? I wouldn't think that would be needed if you removed the appropriate amount from his lower part. What I mean is if you just cut off whatever the height of the mount is...the figure should still be the same height and his head the same distance from the playfield glass and arms the same distance from the playfield.
...and that's on an LE. Impressed. So did you have any trouble getting it angled right for the LE (since the mounting slot is cut pointing away from the magnet)? From that pic it looks like it may still be pulled to the left a bit.
So how does it play? Does the magnet still grab the ball as it normally would? Any issues with the game ball hitting the sides from the pop bumpers or the upper flipper?
How is Wolvie mounted? If you made an LE specific model of this....would it be possible to add a mounting post to what you have there....and that post also have a place to put the original flasher that was there?
I think I would be all in on a good LE solution...especially if I could use the same figure.

His left arm removed itself as well as his belt on location play. This figure is only one month old! There is a small bracket mounted on his back where the old one was and fastened to the post on the bottom jet bumper cap. His right arm is zip-tied to the post behind the blackbird. Yes the angle is still slightly to the left. Any more to the right and it would open up the left side to direct hits and ruin the kinetics from left flipper shots. So far no issues from side hits. I have adhesive pads on both sides. As far as adding the flasher post that is basically where the captive stand-up target is located so it would really be a tight fit. Magnet still works on direct hits.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

His left arm removed itself as well as his belt on location play. This figure is only one month old! There is a small bracket mounted on his back where the old one was and fastened to the post on the bottom jet bumper cap. His right arm is zip-tied to the post behind the blackbird. Yes the angle is still slightly to the left. Any more to the right and it would open up the left side to direct hits and ruin the kinetics from left flipper shots. So far no issues from side hits. I have adhesive pads on both sides. As far as adding the flasher post that is basically where the captive stand-up target is located so it would really be a tight fit. Magnet still works on direct hits.

wolvie2.jpg 52 KB

Thanks for the pic and the info. That's a pretty heavy duty piece of work. Is that something you made, bought or modified?

1 week later
#126 9 years ago

Anybody made any progress on some sort of kit for this?

--Luke

#127 9 years ago

Well, here is an update.

The target throws the ball back too hard, not allowing the magnet to grab it. I am going to try to use a Newton ball with the same bracket along with a smaller ball (1" maybe 3/4") to go between the plastic posts and hit the target posted behind them. This should allow the energy to be absorbed, similar to the Wolverine figure, and the magnet can then throw the ball. I hope to get some time to try working on this over the weekend.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Well, here is an update.
The target throws the ball back too hard, not allowing the magnet to grab it. I am going to try to use a Newton ball with the same bracket along with a smaller ball (1" maybe 3/4") to go between the plastic posts and hit the target posted behind them. This should allow the energy to be absorbed, similar to the Wolverine figure, and the magnet can then throw the ball. I hope to get some time to try working on this over the weekend.

Are you working on an LE? If not will the same target mech fit an LE?

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Are you working on an LE? If not will the same target mech fit an LE?

Unfortunately, the bracket is designed for the Pro. Due to the way the slot is cut on the LE, the target would point to the left too much and not towards the magnet. It would probably be possible to adapt it for the LE, but I don't have access to one nor the time. The captive ball option that I am going to work on MAY be able to, but again, due to the different alignment, it probably would not work. Stern really botched that one.

#130 9 years ago

Someone should make these mods for Xmen and sell them, If so I 'm in.

#131 9 years ago

I don't get it, isn't the pro fine? It's the LE that has trouble with the Wolverine placement.

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't get it, isn't the pro fine? It's the LE that has trouble with the Wolverine placement.

The beast shot is just a butthair more open on the pro. But It's still big and bulky on the pro making the Xavier shot a little more abtrusive too. If I still had my xmen pro, I'd do this mod in a heartbeat.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Part of is it that the wolverine bash toy also breaks and the replacement is a bit pricy... and then will eventually also break.. and so on

#134 9 years ago

a butthair you say? now if you said it was a pube more open, then that's significant. A butt hair? That's pretty close.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

a butthair you say? now if you said it was a pube more open, then that's significant. A butt hair? That's pretty close.

It's all relative. Now my butthair...is pretty dam long. My pubes; not so much

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

It's all relative. Now my butthair...is pretty dam long. My pubes; not so much

Ick!

#137 9 years ago

Outside of the bracket, the bill of parts is:

4 clear plastic posts
Rubbers for the two front posts
4 - #6-32 2" machine screws
Yellow Stern 1-1/2" target
Target bracket (sits behind target)

The bracket and top lexan piece are still question marks. I will update this post with links to pinball life when i can. Also, I will be ordering a couple parts from Marcos to see if a newton ball would work better. Different than the other one posted on here.

#138 9 years ago

If you would ever consider making these and selling them please let me know, I would be willing to compensate you for the effort, very well I might add. Not the figure just the parts to duplicate what you've done. Looks great.

#139 9 years ago

I couldn't take the wolverine figure so removed it and modified it a bit for now, need a good replacement or I thought even a plastic picture that I could mount on the metal but it does work like this and is much better for me, I like seeing more of the playfield and the Beast shot and left NCrawler are easier to hit. Any advice to continue is appreciated. I know the light can be wired into the Wolverine flasher. Thanks

DSC00930.JPGDSC00930.JPG
DSC00931.JPGDSC00931.JPG
DSC00932.JPGDSC00932.JPG

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

If you would ever consider making these and selling them please let me know, I would be willing to compensate you for the effort, very well I might add. Not the figure just the parts to duplicate what you've done. Looks great.

I am ordering the newton ball from pinball life to see if it will work with the holes in the X-Men playfield where the Wolverine toy was mounted.

#141 9 years ago

Let me know if it works out please, I just had the best game I've ever had without that bulky wolverine figure on there. I know its not that bad for gameplay but man the playfield opens right up and it feels good. I'm surprised a mod hasn't been made by pinball life or pinball refinery yet for this part.

#142 9 years ago

We need Matt. Marvel is probably the 500 LB. gorilla stopping this from happening. Why would Matt spend all the time creating a Wolverine toy, only to receive a cease & desist when he sells the first one?

Any mod would have to be done on the very down low.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I am ordering the newton ball from pinball life to see if it will work with the holes in the X-Men playfield where the Wolverine toy was mounted.

Best way to mod it is to drill holes for the captive ball assembly otherwise you have to make a complex bracket like I did to mine.

#144 9 years ago

Well you can see from my pics if someone designed a new wolverine that fits over the existing metal bar but is much less bulky and comes with light holes for the flasher that can be wired in to GI then you would have a nice illuminated figure that allows you to see the playfield and there would be no drilling of holes or changes to the original machine at all. I will say the game looks much better without that huge toy.

#145 9 years ago

I guess I am in the minority in that I don't hate the Wolverine part. Yes, it is large and bulky and gets in the way of shots, but for me that is part of the challenge in hitting Beast and Xavier cleanly.

The breakage thing does concern me though. Mine is still fine for the moment. If I did have to get another one I might consider cutting off the belt area and just put some black rubber rings on the post underneath.

#146 9 years ago

Speaking of mods, the bash toy in my pro on location completely broke off around the mounting bracket so I'm working on a 3D printed replacement. Its basically a gray Greek column (Corinthian style for the historically curious) with a "Weapon X" sign mounted on it. Its being designed to slip over and screw to the existing mounting post. The sign text is a copy of the title on the attached comic cover. The text is yellow on black on red, the weapon text is on top with the X below and looks pretty sweet.

I'm test fitting today and hope to have some pics up soon.

weapon-x1.jpgweapon-x1.jpg
#147 9 years ago

I just tried something similar, if you makes these please let me know I would like to buy one. I used a plastic from the extras and for now just a band to hold it on but I think this is the route I would like to go.

DSC00933.JPGDSC00933.JPG DSC00934.JPGDSC00934.JPG DSC00936.JPGDSC00936.JPG DSC00937.JPGDSC00937.JPG
#148 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I just tried something similar, if you makes these please let me know I would like to buy one. I used a plastic from the extras and for now just a band to hold it on but I think this is the route I would like to go.

DSC00936.JPG 283 KB

DSC00933.JPG 315 KB

DSC00934.JPG 263 KB

DSC00937.JPG 270 KB

That's funny, I used the same plastic while I was working on a replacement. Did you see my pictures earlier in this thread? I can make up a kit for you exactly the same as mine with the 2D Wolvy and LED eyes.

#149 9 years ago

Someone could make a new metal mount, but much shorter as the existing one has no real reason to be so tall (you could use a hex post for the bulb if you really need it in there).

Then you could put a Wolverine figure ABOVE the mount and just put a rubber around it like others here have. THAT may be the best way to handle this

Right now, TMezel still has my metal mount and I am hoping he is coming up with something cool. What size rubber are you guys using on the metal post?

#150 9 years ago

Here's a 3D rendering of my initial concept. Nothing crazy, just something I could knock out quick so I can get a non-broken bash toy into the machine. There will be an optional flipper rubber around the base for protection if the user wants to add it or he/she can go with a narrower toy with nothing on it (breakage risk) or maybe stick some foam on the front.

WX_1.jpgWX_1.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-wolverine-my-solution-to-a-crappy-part/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.