(Topic ID: 87466)

Target: Wolverine! My solution to a crappy part.

By judremy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 360 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by judremy
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141016_161602.jpg
20141016_153518.jpg
20141016_164425.jpg
X-Men LE Playfield.jpg
wolviebusts.jpg
IMG_1212[1].JPG
IMG_1210[1].JPG
IMG_1208[1].JPG
20141013_120903.jpg
20141013_125754.jpg
20141013_125813.jpg
20141013_125730.jpg
20141013_130902.jpg
20141003_162952.jpg
20141003_161951.jpg
I-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together.jpg
There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 10 years ago

Here is a sneak preview. I will post more info and pics tonight. This solution require no permanent changes to your machine and uses mostly parts available from pinball life, Marcos, or others.
IMG_20140413_164240_908.jpgIMG_20140413_164240_908.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Well, it would certainly make the Beast and Xavier shots easier ....

rd.

#3 10 years ago

Some further info:

This uses a Stern yellow 1 1/2" wide target in place of the switch that the regular Wolverine figure smacks into. The bracket is NOT screwed into the playfield, but is attached to a new mounting bracket under the playfield using the four holes that the Wolverine mounting post was hooked to (this is a better way to take the Wolverine figure out for adjusting). The new #6-32 screws go through four 1" clear posts and into the bracket below (using washers as spacers to accommodate the bracket). I am hoping Cliffy will be able to fabricate something, but would want to see if there was enough interest. Currently, I am using a piece of lexan as a test and to make a template for the piece under the playfield. I will post pictures and a full parts list after I hookup the new switch and ensure that it can take the abuse.

The Wolverine figure is optional, but you will want to at least put a piece of Lexan or plastic above the empty area behind the target. It will be supported by the four posts and can be a Wolverine figure or some type or anything you wish that will fit in this area.

I will post more pictures tomorrow after I get some more screws and time to assemble it. Any feedback is appreciated...

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Well, it would certainly make the Beast and Xavier shots easier ....
rd.

It does make the footprint smaller as the target is about an inch thinner than the Wolverine bash toy. I recall people complaining about the size being too wide anyway.

#5 10 years ago

This may be just what the doctor ordered.

Where did you get the Wolverine figure?

#7 10 years ago

Great idea. Can you post a pic of the whole playfield to show how it looks?

#8 10 years ago

I like how that is opened up too. I would like to see how an alternate figure looks, if there is one out there, that is more to size of the original, but obviously smaller because of the area taken up by the new target.

#9 10 years ago

Here are some more pics from my phone. When i get to a device that i can really type on, i will post more info.

The star posts in one of the pics will be replaced by the clear 1" posts.

IMG_20140413_192004_220.jpgIMG_20140413_192004_220.jpg
IMG_20140413_192436_613.jpgIMG_20140413_192436_613.jpg
IMG_20140413_192451_767.jpgIMG_20140413_192451_767.jpg
IMG_20140413_192538_411.jpgIMG_20140413_192538_411.jpg
IMG_20140413_192506_450.jpgIMG_20140413_192506_450.jpg
IMG_20140413_192115_008.jpgIMG_20140413_192115_008.jpg
IMG_20140413_192424_673.jpgIMG_20140413_192424_673.jpg

#10 10 years ago

hey! those arrows on that first picture in the post above look familiar

the smaller figures on your machine look great and [downsizing] the wolverine and magneto from the "happy meal" toys that they are will go a long way to making what is a great machine even better. nice job!

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the smaller figures on your machine look great and [downsizing] the wolverine and magneto from the "happy meal" toys that they are

I'm not saying this doesn't look like a nice solution, but I have to call you out on that statement....So you think the factory Mags and Wolvie look like Happy Meal toys???....and you think the small ones do not??? Where the hell are you getting your Happy Meals?

I think this looks like a great solution. I can imagine better, but not without a complete re-sculpt. I can see a couple of small things that would make this even better if put into effect. I would have someone make an easily removed decal to cover up the unpainted area of the playfield there. Nothing elaborate, just something to blend that area in with the playfield.

A target decal would also be nice.

Something else that could be done is a custom plastic could be made for the top of this area where you say at least some Lexan is needed. That way it would look nice with or without a figure of some sort on top.

Does the magnet still do a good job of grabbing the ball? I wasn't sure if the timing, distance or angle of the target being different than the original Wolvie would throw things off or not. I'm also wondering how the difference between the Pro and LE placement of the playfield "slot" would effect things. I'm guessing the LE target would be angled to the left of the magnet instead of right at it (as pictured).

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

So you think the factory Mags and Wolvie look like Happy Meal toys???....and you think the small ones do not??? Where the hell are you getting your Happy Meals?

yes, I do. we're all entitled to an opinion, and personally I think (and have always thought) that stern dropped the ball big time on both the wolverine and magneto figures. compared to the detail on figures in the transformers that came before and even the hulk in the avengers (after), they look oversized and out of place (again, my opinion)

I could easily see a sentinel figure that size in the machine, but only if it was molded and painted with more detail than what owners got with both x-men machines.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm not saying this doesn't look like a nice solution, but I have to call you out on that statement....So you think the factory Mags and Wolvie look like Happy Meal toys???....and you think the small ones do not??? Where the hell are you getting your Happy Meals?
I think this looks like a great solution. I can imagine better, but not without a complete re-sculpt. I can see a couple of small things that would make this even better if put into effect. I would have someone make an easily removed decal to cover up the unpainted area of the playfield there. Nothing elaborate, just something to blend that area in with the playfield.
A target decal would also be nice.
Something else that could be done is a custom plastic could be made for the top of this area where you say at least some Lexan is needed. That way it would look nice with or without a figure of some sort on top.
Does the magnet still do a good job of grabbing the ball? I wasn't sure if the timing, distance or angle of the target being different than the original Wolvie would throw things off or not. I'm also wondering how the difference between the Pro and LE placement of the playfield "slot" would effect things. I'm guessing the LE target would be angled to the left of the magnet instead of right at it (as pictured).

You can add a sticker from a sticker set, a playfield decal, a different Wolverine figure (many different ones at Amazon), or a lexan protector above the posts, that is all optional. In fact, the whole thing is optional. You have about 5" of clearance above the target until you hit the glass, so you could even use a 6" figure and pose it how you want.

I have to hit up Home Depot and buy some #6 screws for the clear posts and hookup the target and I'll then be able to run some tests, so no testing has been done yet.

The target wouldn't have to be angled any differently unless the slot is cut differently in the playfield on the LE. I don't know if it is.

I'm trying to provide others with a solution that is 1) cheap and 2) mostly over the counter parts. The only part that would need to be made is the one that I have in lexan UNDER the playfield that supports the bracket (because there is not enough wood to screw into between the gap and the magnet). This solution can be removed and Wolverine can be restored and it will look like nothing had ever been changed because nothing permanently was above OR below the playfield..

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I like how that is opened up too. I would like to see how an alternate figure looks, if there is one out there, that is more to size of the original, but obviously smaller because of the area taken up by the new target.

I posted it in another post, but you have about 5" of clearance ABOVE the target. So if you built a Lexan platform above the posts, you could put a 6" figure in a crouched pose or whatever you want. Lots of possibilities once you remove the bash toy and replace with a target.

#15 10 years ago

How much does it open up Beast shot? I never remounted Wolverine so I am like 10% make rate on that shot. I really would like to make that shot to set up my Storm shots as well as Beast and Gambit.

#16 10 years ago

I can try to get a picture of the figure above the target to give an idea of the difference. It won't be until later, because I am just working on this in my spare time (job, baby, house).

#17 10 years ago

I like it, except the scale difference to the Magneto figure. I would remove the Magneto figure now and come up with a scale replacement to match the others. As noted in another thread, under the Magneto figure are awesome graphics not shown because of the size of the figure.

#18 10 years ago

Thanks for putting your time into this. I'm definitely interested in the bracket if you end up getting them fabricated. I like the idea of being able to supply my own figure. Keep us posted!

--Luke

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I like it, except the scale difference to the Magneto figure. I would remove the Magneto figure now and come up with a scale replacement to match the others. As noted in another thread, under the Magneto figure are awesome graphics not shown because of the size of the figure.

Well, one of the pictures I posted earlier has a Magneto the same size as Wolverine, so this will not be a problem. I plan to unmounting the Magneto figure to allow easy swapping using museum putty to hold whichever I decide on.

#20 10 years ago

Very innovative .

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

The target wouldn't have to be angled any differently unless the slot is cut differently in the playfield on the LE. I don't know if it is.

Yes, unfortunately, the LE playfield is cut differently that the Pro in this area.

To get an idea of what it looks like....if you look at the bottom picture you have posted (where you can see the slot and the unpainted area of the playfield). The LE playfield is printed the same way, but imagine the slot pivoted over to rest upon the left side of the unpainted area instead of the right. The left hole then moves left to that unpainted dong you see in the pic.

That is what makes the mounting of the Wolvies different on the Pro vs LE. It isn't that he is actually mounted different....it's that his mounting post is pointing in a different direction.

#22 10 years ago

that shouldn't be too big of an issue to correct.

jeremy and I mocked up and knocked out that lexan piece in about 20-30 mins and it only required a bit more work with the dremel to make it fit perfectly flat against the bottom of the playfield.

edit:
in fact, it's probably quite possible that one piece (with multiple holes) could be fabricated to work with both versions of the machine, but he'd need to see the bottom of an LE to make that determination.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

that shouldn't be too big of an issue to correct.
jeremy and I mocked up and knocked out that lexan piece in about 20-30 mins and it only required a bit more work with the dremel to make it fit perfectly flat against the bottom of the playfield.
edit:
in fact, it's probably quite possible that one piece (with multiple holes) could be fabricated to work with both versions of the machine, but he'd need to see the bottom of an LE to make that determination.

I don't think the issue would be mounting it on an LE at all. All of the holes / slots should be spaced exactly the same on the Pro and LE. There shouldn't need to be any modifications at all to mount it in an LE instead of the Pro as pictured above.

The issue is the target would be pointing to the left of the magnet instead of directly at it. Just as Wolverine's belt buckle points to the left of the magnet on a stock LE as opposed to directly at the magnet on a stock Pro. If anything would need to be done it would not involve mounting it differently as much as it would be getting the target mounted in there, but in a pivoted position so the target is pointed at the magnet....even though the slot in the playfield is not pointed toward it.

I have included a mirrored and flipped pictures so you can better imagine what the LE cutting looks like. As I said...the artwork and unpainted area are the same on the Pro and LE. The difference is just how the slot and holes are cut. The slot and holes are all cut the same and the same distance from each other.....so mounting would be the same.....BUT the target would be pointed in a different direction because of the different angle in which the LE slot and holes are cut.

I hope that makes sense,

LE flip.jpgLE flip.jpg
#24 10 years ago

it would be a slight change to the mounting bracket if what you say is true.

he doesn't have a good shot of the bracket out of the machine, but it was made with a cross-shaped slot which holds the bracket for the stand-up target pointing at a specific angle (along with the 2 screw holes to mount the stand-up target's bracket to the new bracket [if that makes sense]

what would have to happen is to elongate both the cross-shape hole and one of the screw holes for the stand-up target bracket so that it could be slightly rotated to work with either the LE or the pro model machine.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

he doesn't have a good shot of the bracket out of the machine, but it was made with a cross-shaped slot which holds the bracket for the stand-up target pointing at a specific angle (along with the 2 screw holes to mount the stand-up target's bracket to the new bracket [if that makes sense]
what would have to happen is to elongate both the cross-shape hole and one of the screw holes for the stand-up target bracket so that it could be slightly rotated to work with either the LE or the pro model machine.

After looking at and understanding how you have this mounted, I understand what you are saying about elongating the front bracket mounting holes. I think in theory that would work, but I think the real issue would be if the playfield slot is physically wide enough to allow any pivot at all to the entire standup target. It looks pretty tight in those pics. That would be easy enough to test. Just take it off the mounting bracket, remove the mounting bracket, stick the standup target in the playfield slot and see how much pivot it could get.....but I'm guessing not a lot.

I also haven't tinkered around enough and tried to bend just the top target part of a standup target to see if that could be done and it still operate / register OK. I almost imagine if you just tried to bend the top portion to face the magnet....with a ball hit it would still probably "flatten" the target to it's natural position and still deflect the ball to the left of the magnet.

I'm just throwing stuff out there. I'm very interested to see how the target holds up and reacts with the magnet as it is pictured above. I can see it working great, but I could also see small issues caused by magnet timing or target distance from the magnet. I'm looking forward to the test results judremy.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Or, we could just design two different brackets.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

After looking at and understanding how you have this mounted, I understand what you are saying about elongating the front bracket mounting holes. I think in theory that would work, but I think the real issue would be if the playfield slot is physically wide enough to allow any pivot at all to the entire standup target. It looks pretty tight in those pics. That would be easy enough to test. Just take it off the mounting bracket, remove the mounting bracket, stick the standup target in the playfield slot and see how much pivot it could get.....but I'm guessing not a lot.
I also haven't tinkered around enough and tried to bend just the top target part of a standup target to see if that could be done and it still operate / register OK. I almost imagine if you just tried to bend the top portion to face the magnet....with a ball hit it would still probably "flatten" the target to it's natural position and still deflect the ball to the left of the magnet.
I'm just throwing stuff out there. I'm very interested to see how the target holds up and reacts with the magnet as it is pictured above. I can see it working great, but I could also see small issues caused by magnet timing or target distance from the magnet. I'm looking forward to the test results judremy.

The way I got the target in the slot the first time was coming up underneath long ways and rotating it 90 degrees, so there is enough room. After our brains turned on and we unmounted the target from the bracket, we were able to lower it in, but still had to turn it, so it does have enough play area to rotate it fully 360 degrees. The bracket however, determines where it is mounted since we are mounting the bracket to the lexan bracket so we don't screw into the playfield at all.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

The way I got the target in the slot the first time was coming up underneath long ways and rotating it 90 degrees, so there is enough room. After our brains turned on and we unmounted the target from the bracket, we were able to lower it in, but still had to turn it, so it does have enough play area to rotate it fully 360 degrees. The bracket however, determines where it is mounted since we are mounting the bracket to the lexan bracket so we don't screw into the playfield at all.

Yeah....if you can spin the standup in the slot, having different front mounting holes should be all that would be needed to accommodate both machine types. Either on one universal mounting plate or 2 separate plates.

I would think it could be done easily enough with 1 universal plate. 4 separate holes, 3 holes (to pivot) or 1 or 2 elongated holes so you can pivot it to face the magnet. The only issue that might arise from elongated holes over individual holes would be the chance of slippage if the mounting hardware come loose from the target taking a banging.

#29 10 years ago

Is there enough room above that stationary target to still put the wolvie bash toy without glass interference. I like the size of the toy but maybe higher would be better rather than a new toy. If it will fit.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

Is there enough room above that stationary target to still put the wolvie bash toy without glass interference. I like the size of the toy but maybe higher would be better rather than a new toy. If it will fit.

I would say no.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Yeah....if you can spin the standup in the slot, having different front mounting holes should be all that would be needed to accommodate both machine types. Either on one universal mounting plate or 2 separate plates.
I would think it could be done easily enough with 1 universal plate. 4 separate holes, 3 holes (to pivot) or 1 or 2 elongated holes so you can pivot it to face the magnet. The only issue that might arise from elongated holes over individual holes would be the chance of slippage if the mounting hardware come loose from the target taking a banging.

That is what j_m and I talked about. I don't think extending the holes would work, but perhaps a third point. The hard part is I don't have an LE to use to mark the third hole. Maybe if PEN wanted to come by sometime, I could make him one and have him test fit it on his machine. He could mark or drill out the third hole or second set of holes. I just don't want to weaken the structure too much even if we have it made out of metal.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

It does if you were to cut off the belt or at least half of it. The glass hits the top of his head. I tried it different ways, but the only way would be to lose the belt. Anyone have a broken figure they want to send to me to try?

#33 10 years ago

Interesting, I've been working on a very similar mod as well. I'll post mine soon.

#34 10 years ago

semi-success tonight. we ended up cutting much of the original piece of lexan so that only 2 screws mount it from above the playfield

judremy needs to finish changing out the rubber so that he can re-assemble the game and give it a good test play tomorrow

IMG_3249.JPGIMG_3249.JPG
we've cut out a bit of the "fat" on the lexan piece (as shown above)

IMG_3252.JPGIMG_3252.JPG
here's a better look at the lexan bracket that holds the new target in place. (it's not in the correct position in this photo, however the photo does a good job of showing the shape of the piece)

IMG_3254.JPGIMG_3254.JPG
damn, those rubber rings are a b*tch to get on the posts!!

IMG_3263.JPGIMG_3263.JPG
the 2nd set of posts are necessary to form a sturdy base for mr. logan to sit atop (as shown below). the gap between the front [ringed] posts and the smaller pointed ones in the back is small enough that a ball cannot enter the area behind the new rectangular target

IMG_3278.JPGIMG_3278.JPG
the new wolverine in place over the new target. magneto will get tackled next weekend so that all of the figures are the same scale.

#35 10 years ago

The target has a gap below it and we are going to get it a little higher up by using some #4 screws instead of #6 screws to mount the bracket to the lexan. This should give the target a little more of a gap above the playfield, but not much. It looks much better from above and really opens up the look of the playfield to me. I am hoping j_m posts one of the farther pics that show how the area looks including the beast shot.

#36 10 years ago

The angle on these latest pictures looks "off" compared to the top ones. The top ones it seemed to be straight and pointed right at the magnet. With the lower pics it looks angled and pointed to the left of it. What I mean is, it looks like the target is in front of the magnet, but if a ball would hit it it looks like it would deflect the ball away toward the scoop (but not that harsh...more like between the magnet and the scoop).

I'm also guessing from the pics that that is as far forward as you can mount the target? I'm just thinking about how much better this would look with a decal to cover up the unpainted portion on the playfield and the front of the exposed slot. Sounds like that would be a good job for pinball_customs since he seems to do well blending playfields with the drop bank targets and such.

I was also wondering....would a rubber ring fit on those middle clear posts? I'm guessing not as it looks pretty close to the rear post rubbers. If not....can a ball get into them to hit them? If so....wouldn't a Cliffy post in there be better for the ball to hit than a hard rubber-less post?

I'm looking forward to your results. I'm curious of how it will work with the magnet with the target being farther away than the original Wolvie was from it.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

The angle on these latest pictures looks "off" compared to the top ones. The top ones it seemed to be straight and pointed right at the magnet. With the lower pics it looks angled and pointed to the left of it. What I mean is, it looks like the target is in front of the magnet, but if a ball would hit it it looks like it would deflect the ball away toward the scoop (but not that harsh...more like between the magnet and the scoop).
I'm also guessing from the pics that that is as far forward as you can mount the target? I'm just thinking about how much better this would look with a decal to cover up the unpainted portion on the playfield and the front of the exposed slot. Sounds like that would be a good job for pinball_customs since he seems to do well blending playfields with the drop bank targets and such.
I was also wondering....would a rubber ring fit on those middle clear posts? I'm guessing not as it looks pretty close to the rear post rubbers. If not....can a ball get into them to hit them? If so....wouldn't a Cliffy post in there be better for the ball to hit than a hard rubber-less post?
I'm looking forward to your results. I'm curious of how it will work with the magnet with the target being farther away than the original Wolvie was from it.

The target might be a little off. It will be straight on with the magnet in the final version. There will be a new template made in a couple weeks. We even triggered Weapon X multiball by rolling the ball at the target and the magnet caught it just fine. Personally, I am not worried about how the playfield looks, but if someone wants to make a decal, I would probably buy one. The playfield is NOT clear coated in this area which is something I hope someone else can check on their machine. Metal posts with a Cliffy might work, but all posts I found seem to require at least a #10 size threaded post hole and I don't know if that would fit through the existing holes. The ball cannot reach the inner clear posts and they are just there to support the future platform for the Wolverine figure. I am working with the parts I have spares of. At some point, I could try Cliffy posts, but would need to order some and I can't justify spending $6 shipping a single part or two.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

The angle on these latest pictures looks "off" compared to the top ones. The top ones it seemed to be straight and pointed right at the magnet. With the lower pics it looks angled and pointed to the left of it.

that's correct (I already stated that some of the photos were taken before we got the bracket and the target in it's final position).

Quoted from DugFreez:

also correct and "no", a ball can't get into that area. (also stated in the post above). read people, read!!!

I guess that no one bothers to read what I post, but that's ok, judremy never listens to voicemail and instead calls back and says "so, what did you want?"

#39 10 years ago

Finished changing out the rubbers and switched out Magneto for a more "in scale" version to the rest of the figures. I would love something in between the two sizes. The best part? I can switch between the large figure and this one without removing any playfield pieces. I just swivel the flasher over and put some museum putty on the bottom edges. Any opinions on it?

Far shot:
IMG_20140419_205514_423.JPGIMG_20140419_205514_423.JPG
Closer shot:
IMG_20140419_205521_265.JPGIMG_20140419_205521_265.JPG
Shot from above:
IMG_20140419_205633_185.JPGIMG_20140419_205633_185.JPG

#40 10 years ago

DugFreez:

I was thinking about the rubber situation as well. I'm fairly certain I could use a 3/4" rubber and wrap it around all three posts (the two plastic ones and the little metal guy). That would mean only two rubbers needed to protect the whole area. I will take a look at it when I next have a chance. It may only need a 1/2", but 3/4" seems more like it.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

that's correct (I already stated that some of the photos were taken before we got the bracket and the target in it's final position).

You actually mentioned that on the picture from under the playfiled. I did not automatically assume that all pictures were of it in the wrong position.

Quoted from j_m_:

also correct and "no", a ball can't get into that area. (also stated in the post above). read people, read!!!

I did read your post...it didn't mention anything about hitting or not hitting that clear center post. You said: "the 2nd set of posts are necessary to form a sturdy base for mr. logan to sit atop (as shown below). the gap between the front [ringed] posts and the smaller pointed ones in the back is small enough that a ball cannot enter the area behind the new rectangular target" You mention it can't go behind the target...but don't mention if a ball can or can not hit the post. I was just asking for clarification.

If it can't hit the post (as has been stated now)...I think what is in there is fine. I was only suggesting if a ball could hit that post...a Cliffy covered post would be better than a naked one that was designed to have a rubber ring on it and not get struck directly.

Quoted from judremy:

I was thinking about the rubber situation as well. I'm fairly certain I could use a 3/4" rubber and wrap it around all three posts (the two plastic ones and the little metal guy). That would mean only two rubbers needed to protect the whole area. I will take a look at it when I next have a chance. It may only need a 1/2", but 3/4" seems more like it.

That should work and really tie that area together nicely as far as rubbers go.

As for the Mags replacement....the playfield looks a little empty with the smaller figures, but I speculate that is just because it's not what I'm used to seeing. I'm sure anyone looking at the game with fresh eyes wouldn't notice anything. I'm also pretty sure it's something I would get used to after a bit. Thumbs up in my opinion.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I was only suggesting if a ball could hit that post...a Cliffy covered post would be better than a naked one that was designed to have a rubber ring on it and not get struck directly.

that was our thought as well. I believe that the judremy chose the narrow plastic posts to try and keep the costs down. however, you could probably go with 4 pcs. of something like this, and add the cliffy sleeves to them:

02-4036-1.jpg02-4036-1.jpg
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4036-1

planetary has them in stock, but at a slightly higher price.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PP&Product_Code=PPS-02-4036-1&Category_Code=MP

alternatively, you could grind down the height of the narrow plastic posts by about 1/8" so that they are the same height (where the rubber ring fits) as the smaller pointed-tip mini posts behind and use something like a 3/4" or 1" diameter rubber ring sling-fashion around all 3 posts on either side

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

You actually mentioned that on the picture from under the playfiled. I did not automatically assume that all pictures were of it in the wrong position.

I did read your post...it didn't mention anything about hitting or not hitting that clear center post. You said: "the 2nd set of posts are necessary to form a sturdy base for mr. logan to sit atop (as shown below). the gap between the front [ringed] posts and the smaller pointed ones in the back is small enough that a ball cannot enter the area behind the new rectangular target" You mention it can't go behind the target...but don't mention if a ball can or can not hit the post. I was just asking for clarification.
If it can't hit the post (as has been stated now)...I think what is in there is fine. I was only suggesting if a ball could hit that post...a Cliffy covered post would be better than a naked one that was designed to have a rubber ring on it and not get struck directly.

That should work and really tie that area together nicely as far as rubbers go.
As for the Mags replacement....the playfield looks a little empty with the smaller figures, but I speculate that is just because it's not what I'm used to seeing. I'm sure anyone looking at the game with fresh eyes wouldn't notice anything. I'm also pretty sure it's something I would get used to after a bit. Thumbs up in my opinion.

So, here is where things stand:

Play tests with the alpha piece have begun. So far, nothing has broken. You must be more accurate to start Wolverine as you have to hit the target and it is smaller than the Wolverine bash toy was. This is great as Weapon X becomes harder to obtain. The Xavier and Beast shots are much easier to make which I prefer. Wolverine really messed up the flow of the game in my opinion.
The Beta piece will be made in two weeks since j_m is going to Pinball at the Zoo next weekend. I may start laying out and cutting the piece before that though. I first want to play more games on Alpha to make sure it can take the abuse. The new piece will be in alignment with the magnet as the current piece IS slightly off.
I really cannot design the piece to work for LE and Pro both due to the fact I don't have a LE to use for alignment. Even if I could, I am unsure if a single piece would work for both due to how the target is mounted.
I also need to pick up some #4 machine screws to try instead of the #6 ones as it may allow the target to sit a tad high up.

#44 10 years ago

I wonder if one of these would work? If so, maybe j_m can pick some up from Marco at the Zoo:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4748
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5075-00

#45 10 years ago

What is wrong with the stock wolverine toy? My buddy and I played his for about 2 hours this past weekend but I didn't take notice of wolverine. Does he break after time?

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

What is wrong with the stock wolverine toy? My buddy and I played his for about 2 hours this past weekend but I didn't take notice of wolverine. Does he break after time?

Read this thread if you want to see what eventually occurs:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men-pro-bash-wolverine-broken

There is no way to avoid it either as you cannot reinforce the existing toy.

#47 10 years ago

Thanks for the link. That sucks that he breaks so quickly. The magnet on that game is insane, I can see that contributing to some of the damage.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Thanks for the link. That sucks that he breaks so quickly. The magnet on that game is insane, I can see that contributing to some of the damage.

Most of the damage actually comes from the repeated shots from the player. The bash toy is so close to the flippers and hollow inside which leads to the stress cracks and later the breaks. Hence this temporary solution that I will hopefully be able to offer out. Most parts will be readily available. The only one I will have to have fabricated out of metal or lexan is the bracket mount under the playfield. Then people have an alternative until something to protect the $90 figure is available. It is really a "stop gap" measure.

#49 10 years ago

I made a captive ball assembly from stern Indiana jones parts but didn't get a chance to finish it as I had to put it back out on location. Curious to see how yours holds up as I will likely do the same!

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

I made a captive ball assembly from Stern Indiana Jones parts but didn't get a chance to finish it as I had to put it back out on location. Curious to see how yours holds up as I will likely do the same!

Any pictures? That was something I was thinking of doing, but couldn't figure out what to order and how it would all work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-wolverine-my-solution-to-a-crappy-part and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.