View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
1D8D7ED9-97AE-4B03-B530-97DA3C07E1E2 (resized).jpeg
target pool (resized).jpeg
IMG_3178 (resized).jpg
IMG_3177 (resized).JPG
IMG_3176 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Just got a Target Pool. It looks to be in great shape but non-functional. The previous owner said that it was running and then he was vacuuming out the inside and it stopped working. The unit powers up and when I hit new game it flashes "Tilt"

Before doing a lot of work I thought I would check the tilt switches - In checking the schematic, there are 4 normally-open tilt switches, but I am not sure where they are. The plumb-bob and tip-roller switch are easy to find and look ok: IMG_3176 (resized).jpgIMG_3176 (resized).jpg

The playfield shaker switch looks ok:IMG_3177 (resized).JPGIMG_3177 (resized).JPG

But I am unable to locate the 4th tilt switch - can anyone point it out?

I thought it might be this strange one in the bottom of the cabinet, but it is normally-closed, Not sure what it is for:IMG_3178 (resized).jpgIMG_3178 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

The bottom one is usually the slam switch. There may be another tilt on the inside of the coin door?

#3 5 years ago

The bottom switch acts as the off switch for the game you were intended to kick the bottom of the game to turn it off. I guess it's also a slam switch, too.

There are sometimes tilt switches in the head as well as the coin door. Test the switches you did find with a meter or test light to make sure they are in fact open when they should be.

1 month later
#4 5 years ago

I've put quite a bit of work into the target pool. When the system is powered on, the tilt solenoid fires and locks closed so the game won't start. According to the schematic, there is one NC switch and 4 tilt switches that are supposed to be open. Although it is only labeled with a "T" the NC switch would have to be the coin door switch, I verified it is closed and I have verified the 4 tilt switches are open and even forced them to be open with some tape but to no avail.

Looking at the schematic: schematicschematic

On the right, it shows the "R" relay can also fire the tilt (T) relay, the "R" is the "25 volt hold relay" and when I manually push it, it will stay closed and I can then push the reset bar and the tilt solenoid will not buzz but will stay in the non-tilt position.

The "R" has a NO and NC on it, I am assuming that is the arrow on the schematic but there isn't any more info about it. Can anyone help me with what fires it and how can I check if its making the right contact?

#5 5 years ago

Not sure about Target Pool, but on my mini pool the tilt light comes on when you first turn it on, but that doesn't stop you from starting a new game. It looks the same on your schematic? T being energized specifically allows the start button to bypass the ball count @ 0 switch and restart the game (since tilt ends game)

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

The "R" has a NO and NC on it, I am assuming that is the arrow on the schematic but there isn't any more info about it. Can anyone help me with what fires it and how can I check if its making the right contact?

If the hold relay doesn't stay locked when you manually close it, and the coil is good, check that NC switch on the motor board. Clean the contact points on it, and give the wires the "tug test". I think this game has an on/off pushbutton on the bottom, correct?

2 months later
#7 5 years ago

It sounds like you R relay isn’t firing at start up. If the R relay isn’t pulled in, the N.C. switch on the relay will fire the tilt relay. Maybe something is shorting your 25v line which is disabling the power to the R relay enough to close the switch. I had this happen when I had a short. Sometimes it would blow the 25V fuse but many times it would just tilt the game.

By the way, can someone please explain how the R relay is triggered? From the schematics it looks like it can only be activated by itself.

1D8D7ED9-97AE-4B03-B530-97DA3C07E1E2 (resized).jpeg1D8D7ED9-97AE-4B03-B530-97DA3C07E1E2 (resized).jpeg
#8 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

can someone please explain how the R relay is triggered?

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

[quoted image]

Brilliant! Thanks!

Looks like the OP may need to check that switch on the SB relay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-pool-tilt-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.