(Topic ID: 88288)

Target Pool, Gottlieb, project, auction. Opinions?

By cottonm4

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by SteveFury
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1053.JPG
IMG_1054.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1017.JPG
Oct 27th 2004 105.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Got a CL post for an old pinball at estate auction. It is Gottlieb Target Pool. Some youtube videos look like it is fun to play.

It is a project, for sure. And eight miles from my house. The means low transport costs. What would this table be worth? I'm thinking if I could get it for $100-$150 that it might be worth a try.

It looks like there is going to be some problems with the back glass. And I don't see a lockdown bar. The back box is loose.

Maybe good luck would ring and the play field might be in good shape.

wichita.craigslist.org link

But I don't know much about EM service and repair work---yet.

What kind of gremlins do I need to watch out for with a table that has been gathering dust for years?

Any advise and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

I bought one fully working with an excellent playfield and ok backglass for $750 - For my area, that's pretty good. If the PF is decent and all the parts look to be there, I'd pay $150 all day everyday. I love the game.

For EM repair / basic education., check out pinwiki and pinrepair.com

#3 10 years ago

If you dont go get it Im gonna send my sister after it.

--Jeff

#4 10 years ago

I'd snatch that one up in a second. But Atlanta is a tad too far from Wichita.

#5 10 years ago

Go check it out and if the Playfield is in good shape go for it.

Ken

#6 10 years ago

If the playfield is in good shape as Ken said that's a good start. If they'll let you see the insides look to make sure they're are no hacks in the base and the head - also no parts missing. Sometimes, at these auctions the game is locked with no keys so you just have to take a chance. Ron Webb has done a run of Target Pool repro backglasses, but he is currently out. You would have to get on his list if you do buy the game and it needs a new glass - you could touch it up in the meantime if needed. A lockdown bar is kind of hard to find but they do come up for sale occasionally. I agree with you $150 would be nice but I might be willing to go up to $300 if the playfield and cabinet are decent. I've owned this game and am looking for another - very fun to play - requires a lot of nudging.........

#7 10 years ago

Rust, dirt, and water damage in the bed - where many of the game's gears are.
Smell's moldy - looks stained and discolored unnaturally - pass.

This is a fun title, when working properly.
GL-

#8 10 years ago

Well, I called the auctioneer and we talked about it. He says the lockdown bar is there. But the cover for the back of the back box is gone. He said, "or it could be there laying around and I do not know what it is."

The machine has been sitting in the basement (probably for years). He says the play field is in good shape (my opinion could differ). Hopefully it is a dry basement.

I forgot to ask about keys or schematics, etc.

I'm gonna go check it out.

Thanks to all for the info and opinions.

I"ll post on whether I get it bought, or not.

#9 10 years ago

I just picked up a back cover from PBR last month. Shipping adds up a bit, but nothing too crazy. Not like backglass.

#10 10 years ago

great 2" game 150 not bad but i hope the lock down bar is there. that will cost you another 75

not to hijack this tread BUT

if anyone wants a nice target pool project i have one,
pf pretty nice has been cleaned , all new post new rubber plastics are all unbroken
cabinet repainted correct colors/art
backglass not to bad
got it for someone that wanted to learn em's but ran into cash problems
so it just needs to be gone over mechanically.
pm me if interested 300 bucks(se pa)

#11 10 years ago

Wow boilerman that is REALLY tempting. I might enquire if you still have that in a few months.

#12 10 years ago

The game is player friendly and fun to play. Don't let that one get away.
If you do get the TP ...don't forget to post pictures of it here.

Read game rating about Target Pool on IPDB below.
http://www.ipdb.org/rate/showrate.pl?gid=2502

Oct 27th 2004 105.jpgOct 27th 2004 105.jpg

#13 10 years ago

if you are going to a-town and coming up 95 I am only a few miles off of 95
or rt 30

#14 10 years ago

Dude, just get the game! You won't regret it!

#15 10 years ago

The auction is tomorrow. The auctioneer has placed two more ads on CL for the upcoming sale. In one of the ads, he finally got wise and included the Target Pool name instead of just calling it "old pinball machine". I did not talk machine name with him so someone is probably gonna be bidding competition for me. We'll see. I post results and pictures if I buy it.

#16 10 years ago

I bought it. For a minute I thought I might get it for $15 or $20. I wound up having to pay $70. But I was able to fit it inside my Honda Civic hatchback and get it home for about a gallon of gas and my time.

It is rough but the PF will clean up nice. Beyond that……..well. The basement is was living in was dank and damp. And humid. The house has some major foundation problems. At one time, the basement was finished. But all the drywall had been torn down so I am guessing at one time the sump pumps gave out and the basement flooded.

Anything on the pin that is metal has surface rust. And mice had been living inside.

Here is the good:

1) The play field will clean up nicely.

2) The plastics have cleaned up nicely.

3) All the motors inside the cab turn freely.

4) All of the wiring is intact. I will need to replace the power cord and resolder a wire to the transformer.

5) There was no key but the table was not locked down so I was able to raise the table and unbolt the lock. No drilling. I will need to get a new lock, though.

THE BAD

1)There is some flaking on the back glass.

2) The free replay counter wheel seems to be jammed. The counter assembly is held in with one screw only indicating problems with this.

3) No back box cover and no lockdown bar.

3) The two side boards on the right hand side of the cab have come unglued.

4) Surface rust everywhere. No structural damage that I can see but the rust sure looks ugly.

5) I talked to someone who knew a little bit about the machine ( I think this was his parents house and estate that was being sold). He said the machine came from a bar, that they never had the lockdown bar or back box cover, and that it did work---until it didn't work.

What I have done in the last three hours:

1) I have knocked out the mouse piss saturated cabinet bottom. Plan to replace.

2) Bolted the back box into position.

3) Trial cleaned a couple of areas on the play field.

The first PLAN:

1) I'm going to pull all electrics from the cab, clean all the connectors, repair the power cord, and resolder the broken wire on the transformer.

2) Put it back together and start trouble shooting to see what problems this machine was having.

3) If I can get it running, then I will try to get it dialed in and tuned up.

The second PLAN.

1) If the above works, then I'll breakdown the play field for a good cleaning and get some new rubbers.

2) And then I'll start a new post begging for someone to walk me thru all nickel and dime stuff I might have to do

Here are some pics.

The dirty play field.

IMG_1017.JPGIMG_1017.JPG

Plastics cleaned up nicely.

IMG_1030.JPGIMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPGIMG_1031.JPG

Cleaning the play field. 6 ball is untouched.

IMG_1035.JPGIMG_1035.JPG

7 and 8 ball area was hit with some rubbing compound and waxed. The play field will shine up in good form. There is the normal ball wear up at the top. There are two or three places down low where the paint has shrunken and shows separation cracks but no play field paint is lifting.

The main problem with the play field is all of the insets are shrunken and con-caved. All of them.

IMG_1033.JPGIMG_1033.JPG

MICE !! I have already knocked the bottom of the cab out. There will be a lot of cleaning before this machine leaves the garage.

IMG_1037.JPGIMG_1037.JPG

A one amp fuse is missing. There has to be a reason. Any ideas, anybody?

IMG_1048.JPGIMG_1048.JPG

Detached transformer wire.

IMG_1054.JPGIMG_1054.JPG

Cabinet separation.

IMG_1053.JPGIMG_1053.JPG

34,122 games on the clock.

IMG_1059.JPGIMG_1059.JPG

#18 10 years ago

Congrats on your purchase, but that machine needs a full Shopout.

Good place to start learning EM repairs.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

Ken

#19 10 years ago

Great buy, now the work begins. Enjoy the EM world.

#20 10 years ago

Great buy for your first em. You will learn a lot from it. Have fun!

#21 9 years ago

I am partial to a TP and wanting one badly... so I'll say... OMG what a great machine for an outstanding buy!

The PF looks pretty good and the inserts aren't that hard to fix. Too bad about the rodents. Keep an eye out as you go through this for chewed wires. I wish a project TP would appear in the Atlanta area.

Congratulations!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-pool-gottlieb-project-auction-opinions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.