You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

01 (resized).jpg
IMG_0610 (resized).PNG
IMG_0609 (resized).PNG
IMG_0608 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimgravina.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Posted this in a more specific category, maybe I will have better luck here.

After going through the switch check maintenance mode on my Data East machine, I have found that I have one target switch not working. Contact is being made, all wires are soldered and not loose, and I do not see any loose or frayed wires at the switch. I cleaned off the contacts and still nothing.

Any ideas how to locate the problem? It's just this one single switch, the rest of the entire machine works great!

In is the middle switch in the photos..not sure if this helps...

Thanks!
Jim

IMG_0608 (resized).PNGIMG_0608 (resized).PNGIMG_0609 (resized).PNGIMG_0609 (resized).PNGIMG_0610 (resized).PNGIMG_0610 (resized).PNG
#3 4 years ago

So basically BETWEEN a working target and this one? Because all other targets work fine. Or could it be the diode on this switch itself at the bottom? Sorry, a bit new to all of this as far as pinball machines, but I do have a touch electrical experience.

Should be as easy as removing and soldering on a new diode yes?

#5 4 years ago

I don't really know how to read these matrix charts, but attached I highlighted the faulty switch.

01 (resized).jpg01 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Which game is this?

Data East - Back To The Future

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Any chance you have a broken wire between 18 to 26 or 26 to 34 ? Or a broken wire between 25 to 26 or 26 to 27 ?
LTG : )

Will take a look tomorrow! Thanks!
Jim

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Any chance you have a broken wire between 18 to 26 or 26 to 34 ? Or a broken wire between 25 to 26 or 26 to 27 ?

Checked this morning. I didn’t see any disconnected or broken wires at the points of contact with the rest of those switches (I didn’t check the rest of the length of wires because I ran out of time).

Hmmm....

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Be sure to check that the diode is firmly connected on each switch too. I usually give each wire and diode a gentle tug to make sure they're firmly connected to the solder lugs on each switch.

Yeah, I did pull on the wires and diodes a bit...I was in a hurry this morning but everything did seem pretty solid.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Next step I'd grab a meter and quick check continuity in case there is a break you can't see.

Yeah, I need to learn how to do that. But that will be after I get back from going out of town for labor day weekend.

Thank you all!
Jim

#15 4 years ago

Back from out of town...I tore down the playfield to give things a good cleaning, then it dawned on me. Would I be able to pass some fine grit sandpaper over the contact points of that leaf switch? I saw someone doing that in a video, but I also read that you should not file these switches. But since sandpaper is much finer, is this ok?

I still have not checked the switch matrix to see if there is a break somewhere, but thought of trying this first before I go down that route.

Thanks!
Jim

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Filing/sanding isn't recommended because it can damage the gold plating on the switch contacts. You can safely clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip and/or wet a business card with iso alcohol and pull it between the contacts to clean them.

Yeah, I did try some alcohol and a q-tip the other day but still didn't work (so i thought maybe I needed to go a little coarser with sandpaper). So now it seems like there is a wiring issue somewhere...or the switch itself has just gone bad (is that possible, and I may just need a new switch)?

Jim

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Could just be a bad switch. You can test the switch for continuity with your meter. You'll need to push the switch contacts together with your meter leads hooked up to it, so it may be a little tricky.

Yeah I was going to do that next either way, just trying to see everything that it COULD be. Ill report back if I find anything out! Thank you!
Jim

#20 4 years ago

Well I’ll be dammed. Leaf switch is suddenly working again. I removed the switch assembly from the play field to make continuity testing easier, turned out the switch itself was fine. Re attached the assembly to do further testing and it all of a sudden is working again!

#21 4 years ago

I realized that while trying to fix the switch, I was also in process of upgrading the whole machine to LED's. It didn't even occur to me at the time, but one of the original insert bulbs was burned out right next to the switch I was trying to fix...when the switch finally started working, I realized a new LED was in.

Could the switch not have worked because the bulb was out? Or is there some other miracle why it is now working...

Jim

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

As long as it works!

EXACTLY! Thanks guys!
Jim

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimgravina.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-leaf-switch-not-working?tu=jimgravina and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.