Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wiredworm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 4 years ago

Hi,

I'm wrapping up the final stages of rebuilding my Rocky & Bullwinkle and in doing so all of the little niggly issues are coming to the surface.

Whilst testing the play tonight I noticed that a few of the stand up targets were really hard to trigger; almost to the point of making the game feel impossible.

The main culprits were the B-O-M-B targets and also the Hat Trick targets (yup, no 'Wrong Hat' here). All of these have had new target foam fitted and I think that is causing the issue.

is there a recommended way of dealing with the issue? I've tried adjusting the leaf switch but it seems to result in the switch either misfiring or shotgunning.

Is the only option to strip the target and slice back some of the foam to make it a bit thinner?

Suggestions people please? I've got a party on Friday night so it would be great to get it finished up for an official unveiling!!

Thanks

Pete

#2 4 years ago

Softer foam.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

If only they stipulated the density of the foam when buying it.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

In USA, weather stripping for windows and doors is marked things like soft, firm, etc.

I'd get weather stripping and cut to size.

LTG : )

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

They do

#6 4 years ago

I'm in the UK so not sure if it's different here.

I'm keen to make sure I get something fit for purpose. Might have to do some checking around online to see what I can find.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

Suggestions people please?

Make the switches really sensitive. Adjust the leaf that is furthest away from the target face to move it forward so it’s really close to the front, but not touching.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Make the switches really sensitive. Adjust the leaf that is furthest away from the target face to move it forward so it’s really close to the front, but not touching.

I tried using my leaf switch adjustment tool to do that but it seemed to cause the target to misfire.

In terms of foam - is something like this maybe an option?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Mx15Mmx5Mm-Rectangle-Weather-Stripping-Sponge-Foam-Rubber-Strip-Door-y0/312724671299?hash=item48cfd7cb43:g:AeYAAOSwv-JdMU4c

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

I tried using my leaf switch adjustment tool to do that but it seemed to cause the target to misfire.

Then back it off a hair. There’s a happy medium, just have to find it.

#10 4 years ago

I'm probably being lazy - so maybe I should just give it another try.

The problem is that the targets have to be adjusted in place because they're fitted through quite a tight gap. It means that adjusting is a case of raising the playfield and tweaking before then dropping it back down to test. Even the change in the orientation of the playfield from vertical to horizontal has an impact so it really does mean a lot of trial and error.

#11 4 years ago

Yep. And make sure to adjust them at the bottom of the leaf. Not the middle or the top.

#12 4 years ago

https://www.pinballlife.com/stand-up-targets-stand-up-target-parts.html
If you get desperate, you can probably get new stand up targets at this site, that have new foam already installed.
You will have to pick the correct color, shape and size for Rocky and Bullwinkle targets.

#13 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think i've managed to sort it by just being patient and keeping adjusting things until it's 'just right'. One thing I noticed at first was that I was pressing the target and when it registered it 'felt' ok. But, if you actually watch the target when it's being depressed you can easily see that it's possible to think it's very sensitive when in fact you've having to move it a good 5mm or more. Once I figured that out I realised I had to keep an eye on the target when making the adjustments and not rely on how it 'feels'.

The yellow target was especially problematic as the foam has lost it's adhesive so was fouling the target from moving correctly.

Now, i've got a full set of targets I got from Marcos a while ago but when I replaced the yellow target tonight I saw the big problem. The targets I got from Marcos have a plastic which is ever so slightly wider. Not by much. Possibly 1 or 2mm. But it's enough to stop you sliding the entire assembly into place from below. I ended up having to break the stack apart and feed some parts from the bottom and the plastic from the top. Got it all done though and it's working fine now.

The other issue with the targets from Marcos was that they came with metal back post which in my case can't be used. The back post they came with was just a straight rectangular piece, but on Rocky & Bullwinkle the back post has a taper to it to ensure it fits in place correctly. Not a huge issue as it just meant I used the target stack.

All done now. Too late here to test but i'll fire up a game tomorrow and see if it plays better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
$ 27.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Boards
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-foam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.