954878E2-F21E-4F59-9BE0-00354CC54B46 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).PNG
EC6B286F-5178-49B5-A129-04DB128FBDDF (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
A0836F90-FC82-4233-986F-8778C09CB425 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).PNG
Target Alpha Tilt relay (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 4 years ago

Hi Patrickr +
how often does the fault "won't end after ball five" happen ? once in ten games ?

See the JPG - encircled "rosa / pink" are switches (I believe) currieddog is mentioning in his post-38. When the Q-Game-Over-Relay does pull-in for a moment - but then quit pulling: These encircled switches and/or theirs wiring can be the cause of the problem (not seeing Game-Over in the Backglass).
Play many ONE-Player-Games --- when the fault happens: Look at the lights on the players score-drums - see the bottom of the JPG: The drums on Player-1 probably are lighted by "switch P1F on the Player-Unit" --- how about the other drums ? The drums on player-2 and -3 are lighted when the BX-Relay has actuated - on player-4 when the Q-Relay is pulling --- what is lighted in Your pin when the fault is happening ?

Target Alpha is a very late - very modern EM Pin --- the Coin-Unit is made to reset to its "sub-player-1-resetted-position" - I show in the JPG what happens in a ONE-Player-Game when the player looses the fifth ball. Early in play the DX-First-Ball-Relay was made to actuate - "encircled green switch DX" is closed --- now it is the last ball in a ONE-Player-Game - all the time playing the last ball the Player-Unit is in position-16 (my green curved line) - the ball is then lost, bonus is counted / given - the O-Ball-Return-Relay pulls-in, stays pulling (, makes the motor to run). Through "encircled green switch "O", closed as O-Relay now pulls: The BX-Relay is made to actuate. Now comes "my blue stuff" - the motor turning closes its encircled-blue switch and BX-Relay and O-Relay are pulling - the switches are closed: The Coin-Unit is made to reset (!). Now comes "my red stuff" - Through the resetted Coin-Unit the Q-Game-Over-Relay is made to pull-in.

See the fault "my brown stuff" - when the BX-Relay is faulty not made to actuate --- its switch is closed --- the pulling O-Relay (switch closed) --- the Ball-Return-Kicker (Outhole-Kicker) fires and the ball comes out into the shooter alley ...

Patrickr - what do You see on the Score-Drums lights when the fault is happening ? Do You have some ( SteveFury 's ) 24Volt-Test-Lights - (each) Test-Light has two cheap 12Volt car light-bulbs one mounted behind the other. Greetings Rolf

0Target-Alpha-Work-37 (resized).jpg0Target-Alpha-Work-37 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#49 4 years ago

Hi Patrickr
great - You work again on the Target Alpha. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm is a great site - lots of good information --- here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#axrelayvideo is an video about adjusting these AX / AXR, BX /BXR etc. relays. Later in the video Clay shows in detail the adjusting - but the beginning of the video is also interesting. Clay talks about the transition from (example Far Out) huge Control-Bank to the later Gottlieb pins not having a Control-Bank - having these AX etc. relays. Look from the start of the video - then at 1:35 to 1:46 see the AX-Relay actuate - shortly after the AXR actuates. I guess in post-48 "I can push it in with my hand and play a game" means: At the end of the start-up You manually actuate the AXR.
You then write about "not ending a game properly". Of the same type as AX / AXR You have in Your pin the BX / BXR Interlock-Relay. The BX / BXR relay usually is mounted near the AX / AXR relay --- play some balls - before playing the last ball: Take the ball out, lift the playfield and secure it --- manually make a couple of points - then park Your finger in the Outhole (You simulate "Last ball drains, enters the Outhole) - AND watch the BX / BXR relay - does it actuate - it should actuate after bonus-points have been given, O-Ball-Return-Relay pulls-in.
See the JPG in post-39, on the left, rather down - encircled green the coil on BX-Relay - then to the right in the JPG the wire-of-color-OR-BLK to "Switch on O-Ball-Return-Relay" - then wire-of-color-OR-WH to the Player--Unit. Look on the O-Relay in Your pin for this switch - wires soldered-on ? switch properly gapped ? contact-points clean ? (((Of course wire can be broken-off at Coil on BX-Relay, wire can be broken-off at Player-Unit, Jones-Plug in the connection may be faulty (((BX-Relay (and O-Ball-Return-Relay ?) is/are down in the Cabinet, Player-Unit is up in the Backbox - there is an Jones-Plug))) ))). Greetings Rolf

#53 4 years ago

Hi Patrickr
see here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/player-unit-gottlieb-4-player-game-royal-flush#post-4842927 in the lower right corner of the JPG: The switchstack on the (black) fifth cam on the Player-Unit --- the switches that have to do with "the pin has done the start-up / reset - ready for Player-1 will soon launch and then play Ball-1". Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-alpha-stuck-in-tilt?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.