pasted_image (resized).png
op man (resized).jpg
schematic update (resized).png
TA (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

I am stumped.

I am restoring my Target Alpha and it's currently stuck in Game Over.

Nothing happens when I push the start button.

I can get the score motor to run if I manually press the S switch a few times (never works the first time). The score motor runs a few rotations and then goes into an endless loop until I manually activate Z2 in the backbox, which finishes the score motor cycle and puts the game back into Game Over.

All lights are on when I plug the machine in.

There are 70 points on Player 4 (they never reset)

The machine is not in Tilt.

I've read pinrepair.com and http://www.planetimming.com/. It's all still indecipherable to me.

I found a thread here with a similar issue on a Solar City machine with a snippet of the schematic posted below. I have no idea how to follow the schematic. I did see in the Solar City post that there could be an issue with the DX relay. I took a look and all of the switches appear to be working correctly.

Would be grateful if someone could Explain it like I'm 5 about the steps I should take to troubleshoot. I've already given myself one nice shock when I touched a relay with the power off but the machine still plugged in. Don't want to give myself another
TA (resized).png

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

I found a thread here with a similar issue on a Solar City machine with a snippet of the schematic posted below

Looks familiar.

Quoted from Boslaw:

Would be grateful if someone could Explain it like I'm 5 about the steps I should take to troubleshoot.

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message.

Quoted from Boslaw:

Nothing happens when I push the start button.

Here's the relevant circuit for Target Alpha.

#3 1 year ago

Hi Howard, thanks again so much for spending time with me on the phone last night. It was very helpful.

Tonight, I identified the 1C and 2B switches on the score motor. I tested all of the blue, green, and brown points on my attached schematic picture.

When I jumpered from the fuse to the blue points, I was able to activate the score motor by pressing the replay button.

When I jumpered from the fuse to each of the green points, the score motor activated.

When I jumpered to the brown points, nothing happened when I pressed the replay button.

Do I conclude from this that my problem must lie somewhere at one of the brown points, or one of the green points?

I inspected the bounce switch at the bottom of the cabinet. The switch seems adjusted correctly, and when I manually pressed the switch, the machine went into Tilt as it should.

When I manually press the Anti-Cheat switch on the coin door just below the replay button, nothing happens.

Thanks again for looking

schematic update (resized).png
#4 1 year ago

The closest terminals that have different behaviors are the rightmost blue arrow and the leftmost brown arrow. All that's between those are some wires and the 2 motor switches. Switches are much more often the problem than wires or connections, so our best suspects are the 2 motor switches you mentioned.
Can you jumper the wire between the 2 motor switches and test?

#5 1 year ago

I did try that but nothing happened. I'd been at it for a while at that point and I was ready to give up. I will try again tomorrow in hopes that maybe it's a misadjusted switch.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

I did try that but nothing happened. I'd been at it for a while at that point and I was ready to give up. I will try again tomorrow in hopes that maybe it's a misadjusted switch.

So there should be a brown arrow pointing at the Maroon-Green wire on the schematic? If that's right, then have a close look at that motor 1C switch.

#7 1 year ago

I think I tested that one successfully and forgot to notate it as blue, but I'll double check tomorrow.

#8 1 year ago

Jumping all of the various switches in the circuit did not lead to any progress.

While poking around the anti-cheat switch (which does not seem to do anything), I noticed a cut black wire going to the 2nd coin slot solenoid. My coin door is pretty hacked up. I connected the broken wire to that coin slot coil and success! I can now get the game to partially reset by pressing the replay button (no ball kick out, no resetting of the target banks).

I adjusted a switch on the P relay that seemed to be sticking during the reset.

Now I'm stuck in a loop. Whenever I press the replay button, the start motor activates and the playfield target banks reset over and over. Credits decrement off the replay unit in the backbox down to zero and then continue firing those coils until I shut the machine off.

I thought maybe the black wire on the coin chute caused a problem so I cut that wire again. No change - still stuck in a loop.

I assume this means I have a poorly adjusted switch somewhere or a short but how to diagnose?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

the playfield solenoid does not activate to kick a ball into the shooter lane. Also, the Player lights don't seem to increment up when I press the Replay button

Page 2 of the Target Alpha manual explains how both of those sequences work. Do you have the manual?

#10 1 year ago

I have the manual with the operating instructions

op man (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago

There were a few problems - switch adjustment, loose wires, and this Motor 2B stack that made me laugh. As you can see, a previous owner assembled the inside switch upside-down so the switch actuator blade could never be pushed by its corresponding vertical metal post.

#12 1 year ago

Thanks again Howard for all of the help and for patiently explaining to me how to troubleshoot the problems! Psyched to finally be able to put this machine back together and get to playing

#13 1 year ago

I noticed one of my drop target banks was extremely hard to get the targets to drop - the space for them seemed way to tight. Turns out the previous owner also put the little black bumpers in the drop target mechanism on backwards (not sure what to call them).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 92.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
2,450 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yorktown, IN
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
St Louis, MO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!