• Latest reply 2 years ago by BubbaK
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TA lights (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I just got done working through a few bugs and have my TA playing great. There is one thing that is bugging me - When the replay button is pressed to start a game, P1, P2, P3 score reels light up as they are going through reset. P4 blinks, obviously a bad connection somewhere. When the game resets, everything is normal. Playing a 4P game, the lights work correctly. At the end of the game, the P4 lights come on perfectly. Looking at the schematic, the lights are controlled by either a switch on the game over relay or P4F. Other 3 Players are controlled by the BX relay and respected PU switches. Is the Q relay resetting earlier than its supposed to?

I did a quick video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/iBy2pXKCxw3RbDW46

#2 2 years ago

You could watch Q while this happens.

Also try putting a piece of paper in the Q switch for one reset cycle and P4F on the next test - which one is causing it?

Or re-gap both those switches and see if it goes away.

After looking at the schematic, my money is on that Q switch. P4F will cause the P4 score lights to pop on and off as the player unit is cycling around to the reset positions in the case of a 3 ball game or if the previous game is stopped early.

#3 2 years ago

It looks like random flickering, as opposed to being in sync with the score motor. Are you using LED bulbs? If so, try changing Player 4 to #47 incandescent bulbs and see what happens.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

You could watch Q while this happens.
Also try putting a piece of paper in the Q switch for one reset cycle and P4F on the next test - which one is causing it?
Or re-gap both those switches and see if it goes away.
After looking at the schematic, my money is on that Q switch. P4F will cause the P4 score lights to pop on and off as the player unit is cycling around to the reset positions in the case of a 3 ball game or if the previous game is stopped early.

I am in 3-ball mode.

I'll have a look at it tonight. On game over, the lights for P4 come on and stay on strong. I would think the switch on Q is making good contact. If you look at the video, the Game over light goes out as does the P4 lights in the start of the reset cycle. Then the P4 lights randomly flicker during the rest of the reset process. When its P4 turn, the lights come on strong and stay strong so I would think this switch is working well also. I'll do the paper test tonight.

edednedy - It is LED and I was wondering if it could be a ghosting issue. I don't have trouble with the other 3 players though. I don't remember if this was happening before I put the LEDs in.

Looking at the schematic, if Q is not tripped the lights should be off. If the PU isn't on P4 option, the lights shouldn't be on. The BX relay holds the other lights on until this is reset. Maybe its doing what its supposed to do without the flicker?

TA lights (resized).jpgTA lights (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago

This video was taken immediately after a complete, 1 player, 3 ball game? (Just trying to determine where the player unit is starting from...)

#6 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure I just completed a game. I started the video, then hit the replay button, and yes, a 1 player, 3 ball game. It does the same thing from a fresh power on as well. I haven't tried on 5 ball either.

#7 2 years ago

Great, I was trying to distinguish it from a power off after just a first ball.

So, when you press the replay button after a complete 1 player 3 ball game, the player unit starts from position 8 (P1B3) and has to go to position 20 (1st and 2nd player reset). Along the way, it is going to engage the P4 stack 3 times (P4B3, P4B4, P4B5) - that explains the first three flashes of the P4 score lights prior to the P1 score resetting. Then, depending how you count them, there are 2-3 more (a double flash and then a single flash) - those, I think, are unexplained so far.

#8 2 years ago

I can understand the explanation for the 1st 3 flashes. The last few, it appears to be a blip, pulse, blip. Not sure about that either. Unless the Q relay is supposed to stay latched further into the reset cycle to keep the P4 lights on? I'll have to compare to my other games and see how they handle the Player lights. I know on my Hot Shot, the game over light stays on until the reset is just about finished.

#9 2 years ago

I just played Cleo (5ball), Jungle Queen(5ball), Hot Shot(3ball) and Royal Flush (5ball)

Cleo and JQ both turned off P4 at the start of the reset, but P4 flashed once.
Hot Shot, all players stayed lit pretty much until the ball was served. The Game Over light stays on half way through the reset process, so that may be enough time to keep the 4 reels lit.
RF was totally different. The player and score reel lights came on when each specific player reset. This game isn't working properly yet, so that may change when I get a chance to go through this game and get it working properly.

I'm wondering if I noticed this on TA with the new LED's and maybe its just normal. The extra few blips probably aren't normal. I'm going to put the 47's back and see if that stops the few extra lights. I keep this game at my parents house normally. I brought it home to do some service and now I'm going through paying close attention looking for any issues before I bring it back to them.

#10 2 years ago

Tonight I finally got around to switching the bulbs. The 2 little blips are gone, but the one extra pulse is still there. I then put in a set of NG LEDs and the same as the 47's, so it is ghosting on those 2 blips. Unfortunately, I ordered frosted NG but clear 1smd. The Clear look much better and thats what in the other 3, so until my next Comet order, its going to stay with the blips.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-alpha-startup-lighting-issue?hl=damoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.