(Topic ID: 150117)

Target Alpha Score reel sluggish/binding

By bobnatlanta

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've watched the video, looked at the parts guide, and in the past cleaned and rebuilt dozens of Gtlb score reels from this era, and never had a problem other than the occasional Eclip or spring flinging itself across the room. This one is giving me fits and I'm looking for tips on what to look for. It's very clean (now) and has a new coil sleeve, key parts have a thin coat of teflon lube gel. Action seems to be smooth as I reassemble this thing, but once I put the plate back in place it wants to bind up. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

That game is the next generation from the King Rock that I am having the exact same problem with. I put one back together without the spring washer and it worked perfectly by hand, but one I got it in the game the switch trip wire didn't have enough throw. Reinstall spring washer and back to hanging trying to move to 9th position and starts chattering.

My point?

Don't be tempted to leave the spring washer off (if it has them). If they are missing (several of mine were), get replacements.

I am learning Gottlieb score reels are a VERY tight adjustment with very little throw in that tripwire, if it has that kind of setup.

Please post back with your experience when you get it ironed out.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from bobnatlanta:

the occasional Eclip or spring flinging itself across the room

I hate when that happens.

Quoted from bobnatlanta:

once I put the plate back in place it wants to bind up

So this is one of the reels with the circuit board?

Is the wiper arm in the right notch before placing the Nylon cap over it?

Is it binding on all numbers, or only at 9?

Have you tried swapping return springs with another, less used reel?

#4 8 years ago

Good call, Dirt! Changed out a spring and now it snaps back to position like a champ. Time to order a spring kit!!
Cheers!

#5 8 years ago

Those return springs do seem to wear out over time/plays (especially high traffic reels). PBR has new ones, but sometimes just swapping them for other reels (like ones without boards) works well enough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.