• Latest reply 4 years ago by paulace
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coin vs replay units (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

I'm looking at a schematic, trying to understand exactly how a Target Alpha starts games, and I'm curious what the difference is between the "replay" unit and the "coin" unit. I know the big stepper on the bottom board just beyond the chime unit is the the coin unit - at least that's what I've been calling it - so where and what is the replay unit? Some places seem to use them interchangeably, but that doesn't seem right - why would both names be on a schematic if that were true?

coin vs replay units (resized).JPGcoin vs replay units (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

The coin unit in the bottom enables start via a coin drop. The replay unit in the head (the one that displays a number in the little window) enables start by way of being in any position besides zero.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks Cody,
So I've been calling that thing in the head the credit unit...same thing as replay unit then?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

Thanks Cody,
So I've been calling that thing in the head the credit unit...same thing as replay unit then?

yes. and another thing the coin stepper does is adds/track players, up to 4 of course

#5 4 years ago

Thanks pinhead - I noticed that it does that - though the official "player unit" is also in the head....and that (player unit) routes scores to the correct player, among other things, right? I'm just trying to get the nomenclature down so I know where to look for the right switches when I'm troubleshooting.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

Thanks pinhead - I noticed that it does that - though the official "player unit" is also in the head....and that (player unit) routes scores to the correct player, among other things, right? I'm just trying to get the nomenclature down so I know where to look for the right switches when I'm troubleshooting.

Yep, the player unit steps thru the players and balls. The coin unit as it advances to player2 then opens a circuit allowing the player unit to stop at position two for each ball. But for player 3 4, the coin unit has a closed circuit allowing the skiping of those spots (when coin only advanced to two).

Here's something to try, while playing a 1 player game, ball 2 in shooter lane, manually advance the coin unit one step, you are now playing 2 players, manually step it again and yep 3 player

#7 4 years ago

Thanks, pinhead! I have much to learn yet, but I'm enjoying the process.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-alpha-possibly-a-stupid-question?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.