Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by edednedy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I quickly searched through Target Alpha topics and didn't see one like this so please point me if one already exists.

I'm considering buying a TA but know that after the bank of targets are all down it won't reset them on the same ball.

I don't have an EM so not clear on zactly how they work. But since there is no electronic program that can be recoded, everything needs to be done (or can be done?) with mechanical switches and relays, etc,... so...

If other variants DO reset the bank after they are all down, and the TA resets the bank between players (I assume) then is it possible to add switches, coils, whatever, to get the bank to reset when all targets are down? Anyone done this ?

What is the limiting factor that prevents the feature from being added with more "stuff". I kinda think they would have done it initially as part of design it they could have. But gut feel makes me think adding more mechanics with the right logic should allow me to trigger the reset coil if all the targets go down.

Something I'm missing, not knowing the limitations of some other parts ?

Enquiring minds want to know

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I wonder if a quick solution (experiment) would be to wire in a system 80 pop bumper board to reset the bank when all targets are down.
You got me thinking of my Solar City. Might actually look at this idea as a quick and easy idea.
-Mike

#3 4 years ago

I'd imagine it could be done, and that there are some people here who could give you a how-to (it's going to involve some score motor sw. and so on) but wondering if it's really worth the effort. It's pretty rare that one knocks them all down (I've had a TA for 4 years).

#4 4 years ago

I don't think it would be hard to do. But as currieddog points out, how often do you get all 15 targets on one ball? High Hand is a single player and it only resets its 16 targets at the start of a new game.

Target Alpha gives you new objectives (extra ball) when you complete the target banks so the designer did have more for you to do once you completed the targets.

Worthiness aside, to get the target banks to reset once they're all down would require:
(1) a new way to recognize when they're all down
(2) a new way to start the Score Motor
(3) a new path into the Target Bank reset solenoids.

The game already has a switch on each target bank that closes when all the targets in the bank are down. You'd need to double those up (1) unless you were willing to give up the extra ball feature for completing the target banks.

Those switches would probably need to fire a new relay (2) that would start the Score Motor and activate a new switch (3) with high current contacts to reset the target banks. The new relay would also need a new switch to hold itself in once activated.

The new relay could probably tie into an existing Score Motor 2B switch to deactivate it at the end of the Score Motor cycle.

So the first draft might require 4 new switches and a relay. There may be a better way but that would take more investigation.

/Mark

#5 4 years ago

My suggestion: I have both El Dorado and Target Alpha; they are different -- keep them that way

#6 4 years ago

I echo the sentiment above...it’s not that often that you get all 15 targets down.

But I’ll throw in another reason not to do this: the bonus. At the end of your ball, you get a bonus for every target dropped. If you get all 15 down and it resets, and then your ball drains, you’re getting 0 bonus points. Unless now you add in an extra stepper to keep track of a bonus and change all that wiring to run the bonus count.

Buy it. Play it until you can drop all 15 targets on 5 consecutive balls and then sell it.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from steviechs:

But I’ll throw in another reason not to do this: the bonus.

Ugh. I suppose you could count the bonus whenever the targets reset (except during reset - double ugh), but that takes you even further into the weeds. It would be a fun design challenge but one that would rarely be appreciated and probably drive some poor tech crazy down the road.

#8 4 years ago

One other problem might occur with resetting drop targets, is the limited score reels. An added 100,000 light might be needed, possibly a 200,000 light as well.

#9 4 years ago

As others have stated, based on difficulties implementing this vs. reward, it just doesn't make a ton of sense. I love my TA on 3 ball play... when all targets are down I start hammering away at the 1K stationary target on the left... with flipper skill you can really accumulate some serious scores once you get consistent with hitting that.

Although this game allows no real direct shots at making extra ball/special, there are some shots that can increase your chances up at the top, so it's always fun to search for ways of getting those as well.

#10 4 years ago

Had a TA and played it quite a bit. So did many members of my family and they loved it.

Extremely rare to knock them all down in one ball. Think I may had done it once or twice playing out of my mind over the course of thousands of games.

Regrettably sold mine a few years back to thin out the herd.

Although adding a reset would be interesting. Not sure anyone ever go after the top target bank if the lower constantly reset.

I believe it would change the game play and strategy. Would take away from the strategy having owned one.

Mine was set to extra ball when the banks were dropped and you rolled over the correct lane switch.

Best way to do something like this is if you found one that was roached and brought it back to life solid state so you could develop game play and your own strategy.

Was out in Vegas a few weeks back at the Pinball Museum. Played a Canada Dry.

Brought back some good memories. Knocked down quite a few there but far from all.

Good luck with your decision on this...would be interesting to see how it would change game play.

#11 4 years ago

Wow! What a response everyone! Thank you! Lots of great points ... I guess I'll need to just buy one of each ... a Target Alpha and one of the other variants that do reset the banks.... better start sucking up to boss lady!

Keep the input coming though.

1 week later
#12 4 years ago

It IS possible! I was just reading through this thread a few days ago and saw that kangourou modded their Canada Dry machine to reset the drop targets, and to count the bonus score after the last drop target is hit.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/personal-touch-to-your-em-games/page/2#post-2086844

Here is the link to the guide they posted on how to do it, however the whole thing is in French.

https://www.flipjuke.fr/canada-dry-les-cibles-remontent-enfin-autre-solution-t43178.html

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from FPVBrothers:

It IS possible! I was just reading through this thread a few days ago and saw that someone modded their Canada Dry machine to reset the drop targets, and to count the bonus score after the last drop target is hit.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/personal-touch-to-your-em-games/page/2#post-2086844
Here is the link to the guide they posted on how to do it, however the whole thing is in French.
https://www.flipjuke.fr/canada-dry-les-cibles-remontent-enfin-autre-solution-t43178.html

Wanted to do this to one but sold it , and have another one to ready up. I will be trying this.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Wanted to do this to one but sold it , and have another one to ready up. I will be trying this.

I threw the french guide into google translate and at the end it says "The photos of the diagrams are not very clear due to the reduction. If you are interested in this modification, contact me if you want better quality photos."

Best of luck trying out this mod! Some of the other gottlieb mods in that post seem pretty awesome as well.

#15 4 years ago

Another solutions, in French :

The bonus value is NOT scored and targets reset when only 10 targets are hit :

https://www.flipjuke.fr/viewtopic.php?t=42969&f=34

The bonus value is scored and targets reset when 10 + 5 targets are hit :

https://www.flipjuke.fr/viewtopic.php?t=43100&f=34

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

High Hand is a single player and it only resets its 16 targets at the start of a new game.
/Mark

This is exactly why I got rid of 2 High Hands. Once you knock all the targets down, there's nothing to do. You're better of losing a ball down an outlane, than trying to keep it in play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-alpha-possible-reset-after-all-drop-targets-down?hl=srcdube and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.