Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170131_194527 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170131_135403 (resized).jpg
20170129_115132 (resized).jpg
32040732465_ca4a39e02c_h (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello everyone,

I picked up a Target Alpha this weekend. It plays 100% or maybe 90% I consider this a keeper for me and i would like your suggestions on how to address the PF.

It has some decent wear down by the flippers and a few other minor spots. I do not have the skills to paint it myself.

What are the chances of finding a Playfield for sale? Is there a reproduction ?

I looked at sites like HSA pinball, but seems like i would end up paying between 600-800 to have the work done. Would i be better off waiting to find another TA in better shape?

Or i could just play it as is

Thanks,
I can get some pictures up, but i think you can see a bit in this photo:

32040732465_ca4a39e02c_h (resized).jpg32040732465_ca4a39e02c_h (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickedbass:

What are the chances of finding a Playfield for sale?

Slim to none.

Quoted from Wickedbass:

Is there a reproduction ?

Unfortunately, no.

Quoted from Wickedbass:

Would i be better off waiting to find another TA in better shape?

You can keep an eye out, but they don't surface very often.

Clean it, wax it, play it, and enjoy it.

#3 7 years ago

Chances of finding a playfield for sale? Slim to none. Chances are what you find for sale will be worse than what you have. A NOS playfield is virtually out of the question. As far as I know, this playfield has not been reproduced. If anyone can pull it off it would be Wade Krause as Gottlieb licensing is the issue. Here's the thing though. Unless this is a game you consider the ultimate keeper, putting in a new (or even restored) playfield is probably going to cost you more than the game is worth. I've done it myself. And I know I have way too much money into those games that I know I'll never get back out.

Honestly, I'd clean and wax it as best as you can and just have fun playing it as is. But, in the meantime, keep your eyes open for a playfield or better overall game if you decide you'd want to upgrade at some point.

EDIT: Honest. I did not read ForceFlow's response until after I posted. It's almost as if I copied off his test...or maybe great minds think alike.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks, looks like i will take that advice and just clean/wax the best i can and enjoy it!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Honestly, I'd clean and wax it as best as you can and just have fun playing it as is. But, in the meantime, keep your eyes open for a playfield or better overall game

Definitely good advice.

I had bought a 'decent' King of Diamonds about 6 years ago. It had some issues in the back glass and play field (maybe a 7.5 for each) but I really liked the game. Cleaned it up and played the heck out of it and then last year I found a much better condition one on my local Craigslist (just needed a lot of cleaning) and made the switch. If I hadn't found a better one, I would have just kept enjoying my old one.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Slim to none.

Unfortunately, no.

You can keep an eye out, but they don't surface very often.
Clean it, wax it, play it, and enjoy it.

Not sure I agree with this at all. They made like 10,000 Target Alphas. That qualifies as a "shitload" in pinball terms.

I'd think he could find a nicer Target Alpha or a nicer playfield without too much effort, this game pops up all the time. Not to say he shouldn't enjoy what he has but if he wants a nicer one it shouldn't be too tough.

#7 7 years ago

One of my favorites! Enjoy it.

#8 7 years ago

cant really , see how bad the wear is on the playfield but by the looks of it just around the double bonus? perhaps .. finding someone who could touch up that ..pf might be an option.

i have my TA currently stripped and cleaned and .. wanting to get to touch ups in the next week or two.

btw what is that arcade game you have to the left? i have a midway , invaders from outer space and .. love the art work on it . yours looks cool too.

and fyi there are repro backglasses done for this machine should you want one. yours doesnt look bad, but there is a bit of fade on the wording. hard to see with one image.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from singlezero:

cant really , see how bad the wear is on the playfield but by the looks of it just around the double bonus? perhaps .. finding someone who could touch up that ..pf might be an option.
i have my TA currently stripped and cleaned and .. wanting to get to touch ups in the next week or two.
btw what is that arcade game you have to the left? i have a midway , invaders from outer space and .. love the art work on it . yours looks cool too.
and fyi there are repro backglasses done for this machine should you want one. yours doesnt look bad, but there is a bit of fade on the wording. hard to see with one image.

Ill post some better pics. I plan on stripping it down this weekend, cleaning and then see just how bad it looks.

The game on the left is Sega Missile http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/smisile.htm

I love it, has Nixie tubes as score displays! My father in law has the invaders, it one of my favorites great game.

#10 7 years ago

Target Alpha is on my wanted list. First thing to do is convert the 4 - AC flippers to DC to have a fighting chance with all those long reach targets. Possibly convert the 2 bumpers over as well. I love the space theme of that game.

1 week later
#11 7 years ago

My flippers aren`t changed and I can reach the top just fine.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from TK2012:

My flippers aren`t changed and I can reach the top just fine.

Same here. Mine came with the yellow dot flipper coils that were just way too strong. The plastic in front of the lower pop bumper was broken from the flippers. I put the regular coils in and you can easily make it to the top from the lower flippers. No modifications necessary.

#13 7 years ago

I have been playing the game as is right now and have no problem hitting all the top targets. Im waiting to finish up another project before i tear into this one.

1 week later
#14 7 years ago

Wanted to update this thread:

Stripped the playfield, cleaned,buffed metal parts,polished,waxed

20170129_115132 (resized).jpg20170129_115132 (resized).jpg

Added to the line up.

IMG_20170131_135403 (resized).jpgIMG_20170131_135403 (resized).jpg

I have a local friend who is going to help me to some touch-ups and clear in the spring.

Thanks

#15 7 years ago

If there was any playfield to get your hands dirty touching up, it would be that one: large areas of solid colors. Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone. But what do I know? I've never done it.

BTW, nice game room.

#16 7 years ago

It's easier to buy the repro or NOS playfield and then find the machine unless the machine is very rare.

#17 7 years ago

I see you have a 2001, you're in luck! I believe that is Wade Krause's next playfield. $700 and you'll have a perfect playfield.

#18 7 years ago

Luckily my 2001 pf is in much better shape.

The cabinet however is another story

20170131_194527 (resized).jpg20170131_194527 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-alpha-playfield-suggestions?hl=ultrapeepi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.