(Topic ID: 174566)

Target Alpha has ball count issues

By electricsquirrel

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I am slowly getting the bugs out of this thing, but this one is still kicking my ass.

The game starts and plays pretty good now, but sometimes it will not count up from ball 1 for two or three plays.

What happens is: start game, everything resets as it should, and ball ejects into shooter lane.
You play the ball, it drains and ejects into shooter lane again without advancing to ball 2.
sometimes it will do this two or three times before advancing to ball 2.
It will then work fine till the game is over.
I have the game set on three ball play.

Sometimes it will work as it should, and sometimes it does this.

Any help or advise would be appreciated!

Eric

#2 7 years ago

You'll have to check what switches send power to the player unit advance solenoid. As I recall there are a few score motor switches and the trough switch in the player unit advance solenoid circuit. I'd first check the trough switch to make sure the contact points are clean and adjusted properly. Do you have a schematic for the machine? This will tell us what score motor switches are in the circuit...

#3 7 years ago

Hi electricsquirrel, fred +
maybe a problem with the player-unit-advance-solenoid.
From the text, post-1 I take: Problem may show up - when showing up ONLY on FIRST ball. This makes me believe and ask "problem on DX-First-Ball-Relay ?".

Look here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#axrelayvideo - start the video - in the short period of time "1:34 - 1:42" he shows the two moving directions and the "stable states" after a movement.
I believe Your DX-Relay works fine - mechanically. I believe ONE of the two coils mounted does SOMETIMES not get electricity to the coil (to pull-in).

Want to verify my theory ? When You have a game You can happily play till "Game-Over" - then look at the DX-Relay - see the "state it is in" --- start a new game and WATCH the DX-Relay. At some time in the Start-up-Procedure the DX-Relay will move (and stay in the new position*+*+*).

OK - play some games - when You have the nonpleasing "stays on first ball": Look at the DX-Relay --- question: Is it in position*+*+*.
IF (if) You say "Yes - it is in position*+*+*": We must look in the path to activate its coil.
IF (if) You say "No - it is not in position*+*+*": We must look on switches on DX-Relay (maybe a wire has broken-off and sometimes has contact - sometimes no contact. Greetings Rolf

#4 7 years ago

Thanks, Rolf and Fred!
I am going to dig into it this coming week.
Right now, the garage is cold and I'm still fighting this danm cough.

Will keep you updated. Thanks again !
Eric

#5 7 years ago

Try moving the bakelight if that's what it's called forward or back make sure the points are on individual contacts had the same problem

#6 7 years ago

Thanks, all!

I'm going to try to get to it after work tonight.

E

#7 7 years ago

Check a switch on P if its doing it on all players.

#8 7 years ago

I re-examined all of the switches on the DX relay.
Cleaned, straightened and adjusted all of them.

The game seems to be working as it should now!

Thank you everybody for your help!!!!!!!!!!

Now it's onto the next issue!

Eric

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-alpha-has-ball-count-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.