Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Target Alpha 10k score reels (resized).jpg
3DF3F953-62B5-4487-AEB5-09338CE70BF6 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Players 2 and 3 having intermittent problems with 10K scoring... trying to hunt down subtle issues.

3DF3F953-62B5-4487-AEB5-09338CE70BF6 (resized).jpeg3DF3F953-62B5-4487-AEB5-09338CE70BF6 (resized).jpeg

Symptoms:

single 1K scoring always works and rolls over 10K ok.

Players 1 and 4 work good so I’m ruling out Z1 and Z2 relays (?).

Problems are with the “fast” scoring of 5ks and bonus scoring. Getting occasional double scoring giving 2 clicks for 20k instead of a single 10k rollover.

9th position 1K switch gap cleaned up a bit of it if gapped wider... closer makes it worse, but if I go too far then I don’t get the score at all, so I don’t think it’s just that relay.

With a handy dandy lightbulb testing jig I can see that whenever I get a double count it looks like I’m getting two quick pulses on the signal... so I think electrical and not mechanical issue... but where’s it coming from?

I figure either a dirty contact making two pulses; or a race condition where I’m getting a 10k pulse at both the end of the 9k score and again on the next pulse for 10k.

5k rollovers are pulsed by motor 1A, and I’had mostly gotten them cleaned up by increasing the gap on the 9th position switches.

Bonus scoring is pulsed from motor 4A and 4D plus a lot of other things in the path including the bonus stepper. The timing of how 4A/4D both advance the stepper and also provide a pulse to L relay at the same time through that may also come into play.

There are two separate switches on the 1K L relay that advance the 1K and 10K wheels separately ... so possibly timing between those? I cleaned both of those L switches and seem to have made it a bit worse, getting more double counts than before, and now double counts again on the 5k rollovers that I thought I had licked...probably mucked up the gap a bit.

Haven’t gone digging for P2A and P3A yet. Although those are what is unique to those players’ scores.

So... continuing to clean and gap switches in the path to see if I can rectumfy the situation. Has anyone hunted down this snark before, and can point me to likely culprits?

Sorry for long post and a lot of details... hoping someone with a TA and their schematics can provide some past experience.

Thanks!

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

Players 1 and 4 work good so I’m ruling out Z1 and Z2 relays (?).

Z1 and Z2 are only used during reset so those probably aren't the problem.
Target Alpha 10k score reels (resized).jpgTarget Alpha 10k score reels (resized).jpg

Quoted from srcdube:

Problems are with the “fast” scoring of 5ks and bonus scoring. Getting occasional double scoring giving 2 clicks for 20k instead of a single 10k rollover. 9th position 1K switch gap cleaned up a bit of it if gapped wider... closer makes it worse, but if I go too far then I don’t get the score at all, so I don’t think it’s just that relay.

"Closer makes it worse" is a big hint. It seems likely that the 9th position switches on the 2nd and 3rd player 1000 score reels don't have enough tension and are bouncing when they should be closed. When the 9th position switch is closed and the 1000 point score reel gets its pulse to advance, its plunger slams into the coil stop. That might be enough of a shock to bounce the 9th position switch, which would effectively split the pulse sent to the 10k score reel into two pulses.

There's not much room for error there so you need to get them clean and dialed in just right. Compare the player 2 and 3 1000 point score reel 9th position switches to one of the working 1000 point score reels and look for any subtle differences. Also make sure that the switch stacks are screwed down tight.

Since all four players share the same L relay switch and two players are working the L relay switch can't be the problem. It might be the P2A and P3A switches on the player unit not having enough tension to stay reliably closed but I suspect the 9th position switches are more likely the problem, especially if they've been adjusted.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

You follow my logic too... if it’s only two players then it should be in their unique components... however there is a difference between 5k rollovers and bonus scoring which have different circuits involved. Maybe that just makes it more difficult on the player specific issue.

I’ll tighten the stack ... read that often enough and forgot to check. Not sure how to increase tension much, without closing the gap ... two subtle bends I guess... one at base to increase overall tension, then another closer to the end to increase gap again? Or vice versa? Increase gap at the base then bend in the end to increase tension?

Players 1 and 4 don’t look a lot different from 2 and 3... pretty wide gap that angles out right from the base.

From Facebook group it was also suggested to check the tension spring that pushes against the reel to limit its horizontal movement too .

#4 3 years ago

I’ll need to check again but I think I followed the slight double pulse further back than the 9th position switch ... maybe not enough to cause the 1000’s reel to double count but because of one more switch it ends up as a full double pulse on the 10k.

I think that’s why I was going back to look at the L switches and motor 5 pulse switches... if I could clean them up a bit for all situations it may make my 2 and 3 player positions work ok.

I’ve learned the hard way though a few times that the more you try to adjust, the more problems you may make for yourself elsewhere.

#5 3 years ago

I've had this problem on a few games, and in those cases the fix was always in the 1k reel switch stack (provided the score reel had already been cleaned and was working well). Some things to check on those - how easily does the 1k reel click over to 9? If it doesn't go super easily, the 9-switch can end up staying closed for two score motor pulses on faster scoring. Spring tension in both the 0 and 9 switch play a part in how easily the reel goes to 9.

Also remember the 9 switch has two sets of contacts. It's easy to focus on just the one in front of you, and not realize you've slightly twisted the switch and the other contact isn't behaving the same.

You can test the player unit switch stacks by just pulling up the whole stack a bit with your finger while scoring points.

If any player works perfectly it is very unlikely to be a score motor problem.

#6 3 years ago

A quick score reel mechanical test is to tilt back the panel and gently try to turn each reel.
Any movement means that the ratchet stop finger is not engaging, and needs adjustment.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

Some things to check on those - how easily does the 1k reel click over to 9? If it doesn't go super easily, the 9-switch can end up staying closed for two score motor pulses on faster scoring. Spring tension in both the 0 and 9 switch play a part in how easily the reel goes to 9.

I do have sluggish rollover to 9. Is the spring tension just the leaf switches or is there a spring in there too that is adjustable... or something to (gasp) lube? I’ll need to pull one and look closer.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

A quick score reel mechanical test is to tilt back the panel and gently try to turn each reel.
Any movement means that the ratchet stop finger is not engaging, and needs adjustment.

Since I was in checking the mechanisms I cleaned up the numbers, which required me to rotate the wheel... none of the reels seemed to move unless I manually pulled back the lever that releases them... so think I’m ok there.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

I do have sluggish rollover to 9. Is the spring tension just the leaf switches or is there a spring in there too that is adjustable... or something to (gasp) lube? I’ll need to pull one and look closer.

The leaf switches are where you want to look. For example, if the lower leaf on the nine switch is too close to the others, it takes too much force to overcome the spring tension from that leaf and it is harder for the reel to turn over to nine. You would want to adjust the nine switch so it just moves enough to close.

You can also take a couple loops off the spring that pulls the opposite direction of the coil, but that is a little more of a band-aid fix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-alpha-fussy-10k-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.