(Topic ID: 96478)

Target Alpha Bonus issues - Finally FIXED!!!

By John_I

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by SadSack
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Formed Switch Blades.jpg
TA Fixed.jpg
TA Problem.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dono.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 9 years ago

I've read a bunch of similar posts on the bonus circuit and units/relays involved with this circuit as i had a ton of problems with my TA as well - great tips by all that have replied.

I had 2 separate bonus counting issues - also applicable to El Dorado, Lucky Strike, Gold Strike, Canada Dry.

Issue 1 - at 1st and 2nd ball on a 3 ball game, I was getting an extra bonus score or 2 - this was caused by the motor switch 4A gapped too tightly... after a tweak or two of the gap and retest, that issue was solved quickly.

Issue 2 - During double bonus countdown (K relay engaged), the bonus score was adding extra thousands - example all 15 targets down resulted in 45K bonus instead of 30K. I've seen a few other posts about this issue but none really matched my 2nd issue hence my post here. First off, the bonus function on these games is very unique, in that the bonus is scanned after ball drain by invoking the bonus step down coil (Called "Add Bonus Unit") in conjunction with a bonus score control relay and various motor switches. Part of my issue was trying to visualize the logic and the unit/switches involved.

As mentioned so well in previous posts, you have to make sure the step up/down switches on that bonus unit are very clean and perfectly adjusted, because it vibrates quite a bit when the add bonus coil is fired due to the fact the step down coil is energized by as many as 4 motor switches.

Ok, back to my problem on double bonus - when looking at the schematic, I noticed that when K relay (double bonus) is energized at bonus score time, the Add Bonus Unit coil is energized by score motor switches 4D, 4A, 2D and 3B. However, because K relay is energized, score motor switch 4A only energizes the add bonus coil when score motor 2D or 3B are closed. Since I was receiving too much bonus, I realized that the ADD BONUS COIL WASN'T FIRING ENOUGH (allowing the scan of too much bonus per motor cycle)... once I figured that logic out it was so much easier getting down to the issue at hand... I finally realized there was a problem with one of those switches (2D or 3B) NOT completing the circuit to the Add Bonus Unit coil... DUHHHHHHH.

After some troubleshooting (it's always the last switch I check), the problem was with the 2D switch... The 2D switch dog was bent a little too far out, and even though the switches on that stack did close, they closed too late, so the circuit through motor switch 4A to the step up coil could never complete. that basically allowed more bonus to be scanned.

Keep this in mind if your game is adding too much bonus... those 4 motor switches must be gapped correctly to ensure proper bonus scoring. Also look at the switch dogs carefully (D level); I've seen them broken on this game - they get a lot of abuse.

1 month later
#19 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The bonus scoring is not accurate. It works fine sometimes. Other times it gives you an extra thousand or two or shorts you an extra thousand or two. It does this on all four players. Seems to do it more on some targets than others. The best EM tech in Florida is working on it for me. He pulled it out of storage and worked on it all day today. This guy has fixed some serious stuff for me, but this one is kicking his butt.

1. Make sure all of your target switches (both banks), when made, are indeed cleaned and closing properly.
2. Previous posters have details on checking the bonus unit - this is crucial that it's stepping properly and the brass contacts are clean - lube with a good dielectric grease while you're at it.
3. Check the NO G switch and ensure it stays closed throughout the entire add bonus cycle.
4. Motor switches 4A and 4D are part of the 1000s scoring circuit, so make sure those 2 switches are cleaned and gapped properly... since 4A is so close to the cam, it has potential to pick up a lot of dirt and grease. 4D is easier to get to; it's important to make sure the switch dog that trips 4D is properly set, mine had been bent out a 1/4 inch or so and hence it was barely closing at each cycle - causing bonus to be shorted intermittently.
5. Bonus Score control relay is part of this circuit - make sure the switches in that circuit are clean and making properly - also 2 motor switches in this circuit - 1C and 2B - ensure contacts cleaned/gapped properly. Lots of other relays in this circuit; I'd focus on the motor switches here.
6. Add Bonus relay - has 4 motor switches involved - 2D, 3B, 4A, 4D -clean and gap properly. Also ensure normally closed G, normally closed K - relays tripping properly, and contacts cleaned/gapped.

1 month later
#22 9 years ago

Hey John, that new blade, did you craft it or order a new one... if so, do you have a part no. for it?

Thx!

Don O

2 weeks later
#29 9 years ago

Yep, 9349 on my game... just got one mailed to me from PBR... appreciate the time taken to post that parts page here; ... I've talked to another pinhead recently that had the same blade broken on his game... the end of this switch gets a LOT of pressure, since the tip of the blade is angled outward and gets continued hammering when the motor is engaged.

1 month later
#32 8 years ago

At the A-town show, I noticed a TA with the obvious bonus count issue... Bruce Moyer opened it up and I noticed right off the bat that the broken switch that so many TA/SC/CD owners have had happened to them had also happened on this game, because that switch was replaced with the A-127 switch (I believe that's a motor brake switch) somewhere down the line!

I wonder how many friggin' games have this switch broken or have had it replaced with the wrong switch.

My TA has also suffered a lot of other issues and continues to break down a LOT more frequently than it should, especially since it's a GTB... albeit somewhat later in the EM era.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dono.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/target-alpha-bonus-issues?tu=dono and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.